Serious Sam Double D XXL Feb 20th XBLA

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MommysBestGames

Serious Sam Double D XXL Feb 20th XBLA

Post by MommysBestGames »

Hi all! I realize there is a SS Double D thread, but since we've worked super hard to make the XXL version as extra-extra-large as possible, I'd like to start its own new thread. We've added stacks of new things to the game and it's our very first XBLA game of which we're super proud and hoping it goes over well.
Some things added: 2 player coop, all-new vehicle levels, head-to-head arenas, new enemies, and over 30 new guns!

And with that, I've started a video diary showing some of the new gun upgrades in the game.
This first gun gameplay video quickly runs through neat stuff you can do with 2 different Machine Pistol upgrades, and 2 Shotgun upgrades.
Serious Sam Double D XXL comes out on February 20th on XBLA, please keep it in mind, thanks!

Here's one of the new enemies for XXL
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
idchappy

Re: Serious Sam Double D XXL Feb 20th XBLA

Post by idchappy »

I loved the first serious sam :D
Give me a like on Facebook if you can :-) :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arcadedr ... 450?ref=hl

Bring back Skykid \O/
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Double D was awesome. It played really well on a dual stick controller, so it should be great on the 360 as well. I take it the XXL extra content will be exclusive to the 360 release for the time being?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MommysBestGames

Jeneki wrote:Double D was awesome. It played really well on a dual stick controller, so it should be great on the 360 as well. I take it the XXL extra content will be exclusive to the 360 release for the time being?
Thank you! And yes, 360 exclusive...for the time being. (Lots of cooks in the kitchen on this one--determining what can be said, thus being a bit vague.)
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Just started my playthrough of Double D. Will the two versions be different enough that I should go ahead and finish the first? Or should I wait for XXL?
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
MommysBestGames

Moniker wrote:Just started my playthrough of Double D. Will the two versions be different enough that I should go ahead and finish the first? Or should I wait for XXL?
Gah.. tough one. Simple answer.. I guess probably wait for XXL.

XXL is only a few weeks off, and it's far superior to the original release in terms of balance, variety of play, available strategy in game. The levels now have more sections to break up the constant shooting, so you just get more variety. There's still nearly constant shooting but now it's peppered just a bit more with little other things to do, so for me at least, I like the new changes.

The other part I like a lot more is that we separated difficulty levels and completions. In Steam DD, you can pick any difficulty any time. This is nice! I like player options! But I like the new one even better, because we actually keep track of what level and what difficulty you've played. So at the start, Chilled (easy), and Normal are available. If you beat level 1 Normal, level 2 is open. But not level 2 on Chilled.
That's okay.. but where it really matters is now when you beat the game on the Normal difficulty, the Serious (hard) difficulty is now unlocked. Before in DD it was always available.

The way it plays out now in XXL is much more natural. You play through Normal, get about 70% of the weapons, then Serious unlocks (and a new character! So just use him too!). Now there's new enemy layouts in Serious, the game is harder overall, but you can play through and get new, even crazier guns, and listen to the new silly story with the new character. I like all that sort of 'content payout' a lot more because there's still lots to do for the player, but it's just better designed. In DD if you play Serious, there's new enemy layouts, but no new guns.

I still like DD, and in a way the game is harder, because we allow you're own explosives to hurt you. That was one of the main distinguishing features of the Gunstacker at the time! You could pair explosive weapons together, but you had to be careful. Now in XXL, there's dozens of weird guns, and the gunstacking has lots more strategy to it. It's not an RTS or anything, but there's a least more real options for the player. And because there's plenty of options, player explosions don't hurt the player any more, which I find to be much less stressful. It's a lot more fun just wading into enemies hip-deep, blasting all the way.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Oh wow, no friendly fire from explosives is a huge change. I always have to save them for encounters where I'm not "mixed up" in a horde.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MommysBestGames

Jeneki wrote:Oh wow, no friendly fire from explosives is a huge change. I always have to save them for encounters where I'm not "mixed up" in a horde.
Cool, thanks for noticing. We did this later in development of the game, and man does it make the game less stressful--I love the change. We kept it with friendly fire in the original DD Steam version though, because it was a big determining factor of how you stack your guns. Now that there's 40 different guns to stack (instead of 8 in the original DD version), there's plenty of options and I felt it was okay to remove the friendly fire.
Helps with single, but also really helps in coop.
MommysBestGames

Here is the second gun gameplay video.
It may be considered a slight spoiler since you get to see some of the new guns in action. But there are several guns still hidden for each gun type (I show 2 but still hide 2, as there's 4 total upgrades for each gun type).

The gun types examined here are the Tommy Gun and the Laser Rifle, each with 2 gun upgrades and their strategic uses demonstrated. Enjoy!
MommysBestGames

Serious Sam Double D XXL is out now on XBLA! 800 MS Points, couch coop, 40 guns to use in the Gunstacker. Metacritic average is 68 currently, showing a big range with high reviews in the 90's and 1 review as a 20! Some people really like it, and some people really do not.
I think that means if you like shooting stuff, give the demo a try!
Here's the launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IzgrrghvZ8
And here's the Rage Quit guys screaming and arguing while playing (they are definitely funny)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIL559EthI
MommysBestGames

Serious Sam games on sale on Steam and XBLA.
Serious Sam Double D XXL is 400 points (50% off) as a deal of the week. Though I think that's only for Gold accounts:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Serious-Sam-Double-D-XXL/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411249
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Any word yet on whether and when this will be ported to PC?
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
MommysBestGames

Not certainly exactly when though the publisher and I have been talking it through. I'd hope within a few months, but don't hold me to it. I don't run all those decisions on this game.
MommysBestGames

Serious Sam Double D XXL content is now a free patch to the original SS DD on Steam.
Read all about it here: http://www.mommysbest.blogspot.com/2013 ... steam.html
Game's 75% off this week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/111600/

MommysBestGames

Just told by Devolver that Serious Sam games on XBLA (BFE, original ones, and our own XXL) are 75% for this week for gold members.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Searc ... ious%20sam
MommysBestGames

25% OFF Exclusive Discount - Pig Eat Ball

Do you own Serious Sam Double D XXL?
Well, check your Steam Inventory!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/111600 ... 6166203637
As a THANK YOU to all who own Serious Sam DD XXL, I'm offering 25% off my newest game, Pig Eat Ball!
(Offer ends December 14th)

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A subtle hint at the upcoming "Serious Sam: PEB" crossover? ;)