ST: 1943

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Zach Keene

ST: 1943

Post by Zach Keene »

http://arcanelore.net/ST/1943/index.html

Yeah, it's up on my Geocities site because cramming all the screens this will eventually have into one post would suck all kinds of ass... especially for those still stuck in 56K land.

Still a work in progress; only two stages done, broken links abound, and yes, I know there's no picture of the Kamaitachi on the gameplay page at the moment. (Not that it's much to look at anyway.)

Additions and corrections welcome.

Edit: now with less Geocities.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Stages 3 and 4 are now up.

My burning questions however:

1) What exactly determines the appearence of the spinning cat? That laser is pretty nice.

2) Similarly, what exactly causes that little astronaut guy to leap out of sinking battleships? 100,000 point bonuses are also nifty. :)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Cool, I'm pumped for this thread as I just discovered the greatness of the NES cart and found a gas station with a 1943 cab just outisde of the city limits. Checking out your page now on my dial up connection. *gulp* :?

Edit: I'm lovin' your '43 strat page so far and it's not hard on my cruddy 56k home connection either. Nice work, Zach. Now I have a few tricks to try next time I journey to that gas station. :P
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Thanks! I need to get back to work on this, since I've been spending most of my free time lately playing GT4.

While I'm here, there's also another tower/dog poo/whatever in Stage 3 I don't have pictured yet. I don't recall exactly where it is but it's on the right side of the screen and comes after the two that are pictured.

EDIT: It's now up on the stage 3 page.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

I just wanted to you to know that there are more of us interested in your 1943 page. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not good anymore!
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, I arrived at work 15 minutes early. Why? I finally made the trip to the gas station just outside of town to play 1943. The first time believe it or not I ever played the arcade cab (we have really poor arcade selection here). Man, I love it. The high score was over 169,000 I almost beat it. Got to a little over 140,000 and if I just would have remembered to take a few more energy tanks, I would have been able to keep going and beat player initial "RRR." (? This is the name of my new arcade nemesis :? ) I so wanted to put "DLH" on 1st place. I didn't even rank in. bah Played 4-5 times too.

Oh well, I think I found at least one of the secrets in the first stage clouds thanks to your guide, Zach. :P
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Well, be glad I wasn't there; my high score is about 1.6 million. :)

I've now got pages up through stage 7. (And thanks for your interest, dboeren.)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Ha. Believe me I suspected 169,000 was low. :P

But I'm still proud of my measly 140,000. :(
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Excellent page. <3 1943/1943Kai
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Are you still working on this, Zach? I have some information to add:

- The Kamaitachi comes out instead of the Lightning or Tsunami if you do a megacrush when a bullet is about to hit you. Actually, it's more like it comes out if any bullet(s) iare within a certain distance of your plane.

- The brown bonus pickup that "sprouts" out of the clouds when you fly over certain spots is a takenoko (bamboo shoot).

- The completion percentage for the Ayako is based on how quickly you destroy it.

- The appearance of Mobichan (the little astronaut/robot thing) seems to be random, though destroying the boss ship very quickly (by continually using Tsunami) might make him come out more often.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

AWJ wrote:Are you still working on this, Zach? I have some information to add:
Yeah, I've just been slacking again. :)

Thanks for the info; I'll put it up along with a few more levels this weekend.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

OK, pages are now up through Daihiryu-11 and a few fixes have been made to the gameplay page.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

More stuff I've observed.

- Your megacrush also changes to the Kamaitachi if any enemy plane is within critical distance of yours, not just bullets. This is a bit illogical in the cloud segments, since the Lightning can destroy planes but the Kamaitachi cannot...

- If you have side fighters, they will absorb anything that hits your plane and save you from damage, even bullets that strike you dead center. The side fighters can absorb two bullets or small planes (flashing orange after one hit) but colliding with a midsized or larger plane will destroy them immediately.

- The destroyable-for-bonus-points debris that comes out of boss ships as they die can hit your plane, and it does a LOT of damage (at least as much as colliding with a midsize plane) With the aircraft carriers your plane does an automatic loop upon destroying the last turret or lift and then the debris flies out, but with the battleships the debris erupts the instant you destroy the last turret, and can kill you instantly if you are on top of the bridge at the time.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I haven't checked out the guide yet but wanted to express interest like dboeren did since this game rules
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

AWJ wrote:With the aircraft carriers your plane does an automatic loop upon destroying the last turret or lift and then the debris flies out, but with the battleships the debris erupts the instant you destroy the last turret, and can kill you instantly if you are on top of the bridge at the time.
Actually the auto-loop seems to depend on how far down the screen the control tower has scrolled rather than what type of ship it is. I can get instant eruptions on both Tone and Kaga by quickly knocking off the last turrets just as they come on screen.

Also if you wait until the absolute last moment to finish off a final turret, you won't get a loop/eruption at all. You'll still get the 100% bonus (assuming you've destroyed everything else, of course) but obviously no chance at a Mobichan or debris destruction.

Is it just me or does your plane get a speed boost at Ise (in both 1943 and Kai)?

And thanks for your interest as well, Neon.
SAM

Post by SAM »

It always puzzed me. :? Any one here have an idea of how "LOOP Manivour" should enmploy in this game to your benifit?

During the loop you are not able to fire any shot, go up or down; :? during the mean time, the enemy planes keep come onto the screen and filling it with bullets. :x If you do it during boss fight, the time still count, and the boss would likely be get away without completly destroyed. :(
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Theoretically, you use the loop when you're about to get killed and don't have enough energy for Lightning/Tsunami. I never use it except by accident (where it usually gets me killed)
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Wow, I was looking for something like this! You think with the 194x game's legacy, it would be easier to find some information about them!

Also, I too wonder about the LOOP. I mean, it appears to be TOTALLY useless, yet the booklet (in the Capcom Classics Collection) seems to make special mention of it. Maybe its just in the game to make it feel more 'period authentic.' Though they aren't many WWII era ships that can fire lasers...
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I just want to illustrate something from Valgar's site/Plasmo's thread.
SGP-SV-TNK - 1P - 4.402.550
SGP-SV-TNK SGP-UAG - 2P - 5.048.820
Without the astronaut(Mobichan) bonus, any given score to my knowledge will be less than 3mil from what I've seen. Excluding flying stages where I assume there is not astronaut to uncover, that would mean a sub 3mil score would get 1.1mil(from the 11 non-flying bosses) in bonus if all other astronauts are uncovered. That could mean around above 3mil, less than 4mil roughly. I would say with the entire astronaut bonuses and 100% on all enemies would put an otherwise normal run in or around 4mil.

My curiousity grew when over this past year (perhaps during the first part of 09 even) someone racked up a 5mil point score. I've not used 2P but I cannot imagine it would make so much of a difference. The best run I've seen to date is 3mil and there seems to be little information on 1943 outside Zach's page.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Seahawk

Re: ST: 1943

Post by Seahawk »

Bumping time.

Will this guide ever be finished?

Also, does anyone have any tips for the final stage? This stage is madness. In all my practice runs it's turns out to be a desperate bid to stay alive to the first yashichi, and then to get enough weapon time to last the final approach to Yamato. It really, REALLY sucks that most of the weapon pickups on stage 16 are FIXED. That final approach is nuts, just enemies coming and firing from all sides.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Never mind I don't need an answer anymore.

Here's a full run in case anyone wants to attempt a 1cc for this game in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C918291F9E
Podbod

Post by Podbod »

Did anyone work out how the highscore for this game is so high?
I've seen another site that claims its 4.7mil.

Skimming some of seahawk's video I can see he claims some of the mobichans so even if you say that they can all be got (maybe there is a 100% way to get them) then lets say for arguments sake he missed 8, that's only 800k.
Add in a few missed bonus points for the boss planes, maybe a few bamboos and the odd barrel and I doubt that theres more 1m missing. Giving a theoretical total of 3.7m (incidentally just over the TG highscore (annoyingly it has no download to see how he did it))

So do we think there's something we're missing? Are the crazy scores from the same US version (both scores over 4mil seem to be from the Japanese one, were they from Kai and its just an error?)

Pod
Podbod

Post by Podbod »

I cheated (lasers for whole game, neverending health) and used savestates to get mobichan on every level. I also got full bonus for all 3 bombers and picked up most of the secrets apart from the bamboo shoots.

I got 4.57mil. With the missing bamboo shoots and a few missing planes I expect you can get to about 4.7m.

I also noticed that sometimes the debris from the battleships can give you 50k instead of 10k for some reason. Couldn't work out why.

I also tried loads of things to try and force mobichan out but nothing worked. Loading a savestate and shooting the last gun within 1 second would produce a mobichan 1 in 15 attempts or so. So theres hardly anything left other that timing that could be effecting it. I.e it seems truly random as thought.

So while I can see that highscores talked about could theoretically be obtained I cant see how you'd ever be able to do it.
Has anyone seen a replay or vid of someone getting over Seahawks score (highest I've seen with my own eyes)?
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

In this game max score possible with normal pattern is about 2.900.000. Movi Chan is 100.000 pts for each and is random 100% with a chance of 1/8 or 1/16. In best hi-score you can win 4 times this bonus, maybe 5, no more. There are some secrets in this game but are unknown: 1) double explosion; 2) Daihiryuu; 3) Dragonfly (this work if you have 9 credits in the game, +160.000 in all game).
Podbod

Post by Podbod »

Old thread resurrect :D

Nah, you'd never get to 5 in a run. Most I've managed is 2 and the current WR on TG and MARP has only 2. I'm also not convinced its as low as 1/16 chance. Last night I was playing and I played levels 1-8 at least 3 times with a few extra levels thrown in trying to improve my best score (and thus resetting if it wasnt looking likely) and I got a grand total of 0 Mobichans. Thats at least 25 stages. So I'm thinking its more likely at least 1/32.

Some other things I know now.

The multi plane bosses give 5k for the rears and 10k for the front ones and the order is random. A decent game would give you about 9 of each but you can get great games where you get 14 front ones.

The 9 credit Dragonflys arent on every level. So thats only about 100k over the course of the game.

The 50k ship tower pieces i couldn't figure out must have been double explosions (I've never managed to trigger this in a non-save state abusing game)

The TG WR (3.7M) back when I originally posted was a database copy error and the score in question had had an extra 0 added. After lots of searching I was able to find an older copy of the database and get TG to correct the score. Then I took the WR with 2.9M ish.
I lost that a few years ago. The current WR today stands at 3.287M (ish). I think with amazing luck for mobichan, super fortunate multiplane bosses and superb bridge piece collection skills a theoretical maximum would be 3.45M but realistically 3.325M is probably the best someone could hope for.

Podbod

P.s Love your avatar. I've been playing card fighters loads this week due to its recent switch release!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Nah, you'd never get to 5 in a run. Most I've managed is 2 and the current WR on TG and MARP has only 2.

The current WR today stands at 3.287M (ish).
The world record actually stands at 4.4 million, with another one at 4.1 (one that gets the dragonfly bonus, one that does not): https://shmups.wiki/library/STG_Hall_of_Records
Podbod

Post by Podbod »

No video. No inp file. Scores that I've already shown a decade ago are only possible via save state abuse or a TAS.
You can't claim a WR with a blurry screenshot of just the score as theres zero verification process.
I've also seen loads of sites that mix in kai and original scores without realising.

So the WR is 3.287M as stated on TG and Marp.
Pearl

Post by Pearl »

Podbod wrote:No video. No inp file. Scores that I've already shown a decade ago are only possible via save state abuse or a TAS.
You can't claim a WR with a blurry screenshot of just the score as theres zero verification process.
I've also seen loads of sites that mix in kai and original scores without realising.

So the WR is 3.287M as stated on TG and Marp.
I'm the person with that 3.287M score and yes, the 4.40M score by SGP-SV-TNK is the WR.

My run stats were Daihiryuu x 20, Mobi x 2, Double x 0, Dragonfly x 15 (I think Stage 16 does not spawn it.)

SGP's is Daihiryuu x 33, Mobi x 4, Double x 11 (MAX), Dragonfly x 15.

Daihiryuu is 7200pts each (Large plane = 10,000 + 2 Zako = 10,200 | Small plane = 3,000)
13 extra Daihiryuu = 93,600
2 Extra Mobi = 200,000 (293,600)
Assuming SGP got 100% shrapnel (I didnt, being generous ill say I got 50%) = 220,000 (513,600)
Double X 11 (100% Shrapnel) = 440,000 (935,600)
I didnt also know where all of the roots were, this could push SGP's extra score over 1,000,000 which would leave it at 4.287M
The extra score between 4.287 and 4.40 could be obtained easily from some missed enemies on later stages using autofire.
Podbod

Post by Podbod »

Eric,

Is there a record of that run then? How are you verifying that? TG/marp scores are checked by the community at least so are 'more' trustworthy than just a score on a page somewhere as I'm sure you know.

How would he be getting 11 doubles? I've never seen any information about forcing a double and they almost never (i've never had it out side of save states) spawn naturally.
4 mobi's is ludicrous as well. Most runs I get 0. I've never found a way to force them. As far as I can tell they're just on a frame counter.

Why has he not submitted it to Marp/TG if its so so so much higher than anyone elses score?

Pod
Pearl

Post by Pearl »

Podbod wrote:Eric,

Is there a record of that run then? How are you verifying that? TG/marp scores are checked by the community at least so are 'more' trustworthy than just a score on a page somewhere as I'm sure you know.

How would he be getting 11 doubles? I've never seen any information about forcing a double and they almost never (i've never had it out side of save states) spawn naturally.
4 mobi's is ludicrous as well. Most runs I get 0. I've never found a way to force them. As far as I can tell they're just on a frame counter.

Why has he not submitted it to Marp/TG if its so so so much higher than anyone elses score?

Pod
No known video, record was verified/submitted to Arcadia in 2009.

Double = double boss explosion , a bug executed by killing the base of the enemy boat twice via HP carry-over.

JP players don't use TG and very very rarely use MARP.