D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara to PSN/XBLA

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Fudoh

Re: D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara to PSN/XBLA

Post by Fudoh »

Just yesterday I wrote a rant on a german board on how bad the Iron Galaxy conversions are. Yes, the netcode might be nice, but the graphical presentation just isn't good. The filters are all completely useless and the scaling is really bad. I admit, it's not the easiest task to scale those CPS2/3 board with 384x224 resolution, but as long as every MAME build looks better, Iron Galaxy won't get anymore money of mine.

If Capcom released the Iron Galaxy version on disc in japan, asking 12,000 (for the LE), fans would get really mad. I trust in Capcom that their internal team will do a much nicer job than Iron Galaxy. Even Capcom's arcade collection released in spring this year had way better graphical presentation than IG's conversions do.
Will they still have all the scanline/filter options?
I this point I hope I missed the sarcasm. Nobody uses the scanline options in Iron Galaxy's releases. They come with a "this monitor is broken - don't use" filter applied (total convergence fiasco).
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Hagane wrote: Arrows don't matter that much IIRC, except the fire one, of which you need only one for the Elf since there's a bug that doesn't take them from away from your inventory if you shoot them mid-air. Hilarious infinite against the Lich coupled with the levitation boots/spell. Other than that the Elf has infinite regular arrows and the Thief has an infinite sling that behaves similarly.
It's the Silver Arrow.
Last edited by Leandro on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Not a fan then Fudoh? :D

Admittedly the IG scanline filter is not as crisp as MAME or any M2 title, but I would still rather run that on an HD screen than the raw image.

I haven't seen any recent Capcom internal efforts to compare (can I tinker with the filters in the demo versions?) but I'll take your word for it and be happy that I've opted for the JPN disc release anyway. :)
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I got the same impression as you Fudoh when I played around with the PS3 demo.

The Capcom classics games were done by M2, no doubt that's why they turned out so well. I'm hopeful that the disc version of D&D turns out well.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

Capcom held this event for the collection, showing off the soon-to-be-released Japan version.

Love the arranged music that played during the event~
Last edited by VixyNyan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I'm totally unsure whether to buy this on PS3 or just get the CPS2 board for almost the same price. :?

Anyone got a list of pros and cons?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Skykid wrote:I'm totally unsure whether to buy this on PS3 or just get the CPS2 board for almost the same price. :?

Well, firs of to play both games you'll have to buy 2 pcbs not just one, so more stuff to hide somewhere, and the inconvenience of switching them every time you want to play Tower of Doom and Mystara.
But hey, you'll be having the true arcade experience :D
Take it this way, the Ps3 version has online play, four players can choose the same character, but furthermore with the e-capcom edition you have a lot of little extras that are going to delight you and both games will be on the same disc :wink:
At least those are the reasons why I am getting it. Cant wait really.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Yeah, at $15 I don't get the whining. I've already got more than my money's worth out of it playing a few times through with my old college buddies online.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Phellan Wolf wrote:
Skykid wrote:I'm totally unsure whether to buy this on PS3 or just get the CPS2 board for almost the same price. :?

Well, firs of to play both games you'll have to buy 2 pcbs not just one, so more stuff to hide somewhere, and the inconvenience of switching them every time you want to play Tower of Doom and Mystara.
But hey, you'll be having the true arcade experience :D
Take it this way, the Ps3 version has online play, four players can choose the same character, but furthermore with the e-capcom edition you have a lot of little extras that are going to delight you and both games will be on the same disc :wink:
At least those are the reasons why I am getting it. Cant wait really.
The PS4 isn't backwards compatible is it. Hmm...

I do like a nice LE, and I sold my Saturn version years ago in disgust at the Neo CD loading times, so I am familiar with having this as a console release. 4 Player is something I can't do on my 2P cab, and online is a bonus... until support or willing participants no longer exist.

I'm tempted. I should specify I'm only about the disc release CMoon, but $15 is cheap as chips for the DL ver. ;)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Skykid wrote: I should specify I'm only about the disc release CMoon, but $15 is cheap as chips for the DL ver. ;)
Yeah, that's just the point. I picked this up for a different reason than a lot of other people--namely I wanted to be able to play this game again with friends I haven't seen in a good decade plus, and this particular title is a wash of old times and good memories. That Japanese physical release looks damn sexy, but it wasn't available here in the US *shrugs* I can't see myself spending too much time on this game one player, so that's gonna shade my opinion on the whole port vs. board dilemma you're having.

And yeah, I thought about that non-backwards-compatible thing as well. I've bought a fair number of titles through the PSN that I don't want to buy a third time. Figure when the PS3 gets put away for good I'm pretty much done with those games.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The release info on the Japanese retail version is insane. It's including concept art, the original title screens, all kinds of stuff that the digital version lacks. WTF, Capcom?
http://www.capcom.co.jp/DandD/new_system/option2.html
http://www.lcapcom.co.jp/DandD/new_syst ... tents.html

More stuff announced for the retail game:

- They're adding a new easiest setting in the difficulty selection which starts players with full item/magic stock, a dragon shield, and the ability to open chests without keys. The game also retains all the arcade difficulty settings and there's a super hardcore setting for pro players.

- There's New Game+ function now. Instead of getting a Game Over after completing the game, players can use their characters to start new games while retaining their levels and stats. You can also choose higher difficulty levels in these subsequent playthroughs.

- Stages you have completed can be replayed with a chapter select option, where you can pick which part of the stage you want to start from. There are also boss strategy videos to help players who have problems beating the bosses.

- Bonus content includes tons of artwork and original design materials from the development of the arcade games, introduction videos for the various classes, and video interviews with the original developers of the arcade games.

Looking at the UI for the bonus features... I'm really starting to think M2 might be doing this port... that would be... amazing.

heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
chronic1

Post by chronic1 »

CMoon wrote:
blackoak wrote:Life has consigned the majority of my social circle to that snakepit of jobs-family-children, so its a rare treat when I have four willing friends over for this game.
Wish I lived closer.
Ditto. I have a supergun to support 4 players, but I don't yet have any 4 player games.....

I'm terrible at these two games, but just picked it up on PS3. Ping me on PSN if anyone wants to play. Pretty sure my handle is "mightymanaconda".
-=<chronic1>=-
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Wow, I think that bit of info really clears up which is the best version. The ability to start from any part in the stage sounds particularly awesome. Totally makes it worth owning.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Hagane wrote:Wow, I think that bit of info really clears up which is the best version. The ability to start from any part in the stage sounds particularly awesome. Totally makes it worth owning.
The XBLA downloadable version lets you 'unlock' the levels and pick which stage to start at, too.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Got this today (PSN), good to see it's not in HD, and has a ton of unlockables that don't require real money. Even has the option for scanlines.
DjMcDougal

Post by DjMcDougal »

I actually play this game quite frequently on GGPO but i havent bought it for steam yet. I can 1cc this game on level 4-8 and love to co-op with other players. There is an active korean/jap community that plays daily and ive learned tons from them ever since i joined it. Anyone interested just get the GGPO client and get DND and of course if you love it buy it for steam/xbox.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

http://youtu.be/c_eST05UDRQ

Beyond the better port, can anyone tell me where I can find this awesome OST remix?
SHMUP sale page.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Little bump to share two interviews I translated: a 1996 Shadow over Mystara interview and a more recent Chronicles of Mystara interview. I added a bunch of concept art from the Gamest mook too. I've got one more interview here from the entire Mystara team too, hoping to add it sometime next week.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Great reads. Thanks for translating!
Kataoka wrote:Mystara was made with multiplayer in mind
I figured as much.

The strange thing about the Dark Warrior is that Balrogs actually were transplanted from The Lord of the Rings to D&D, the name was just slightly changed to Balor after the earliest days.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Thanks for the translation, looking forward to the other one.

Oh, and I got to play the Steam version a bit... and you can't remap the movement buttons. Does anyone even move with the arrow keys in a PC game? I'll keep playing the MAME version, I guess.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

So did anybody else get the Japanese release? Has anybody got it to look respectable via HD screens? I'm not a fan of the scan line filter they include.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Yeah I got the JAP release and noticed the same thing. Is the scanline overlay resolution based? Maybe running the PS3 in 480p would fix it...
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I thought the same thing. I need to mess around with it but every time I find an hour to load it up I just jump straight into a credit.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I got the JP release in the other day. I like the way it looks with "softening filter" on, with scanlines type 2. Looks really nice to me.

WAY better than the U.S. releases' filters, which I thought looked awful.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I still don't understand the rationale behind two completely separately developed releases just for different regions :I Damn it Capcom, you're so dumb!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

trap15 wrote:I still don't understand the rationale behind two completely separately developed releases just for different regions :I Damn it Capcom, you're so dumb!

Yeah, it is bizarre. But the JP one is the way to go. Unfortunately, it doesn't have English text in the conversations or options. :cry:
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Big ups to blackoak for those translations! Really answered some burning questions of mine.

What special things come with the PS3 version and what's the hardest difficulty like?

--F
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Rupert H wrote:I thought the same thing. I need to mess around with it but every time I find an hour to load it up I just jump straight into a credit.
Yeah it's resolution based. I have a PAL PS3 so testing was kind of limited, 720p looked best for me but that's only because the PAL PS3 can't do 480p. We got 576p instead, when set to that resolution there's no scanlines at all. Judging from the improvement between 1080p and 720p I imagine 480p on an NTSC machine would look best.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Its on Deal of the Week for gold users. Till the 27 or 28 Jan.
$14.99 => $4.94
67% off

"Swedish price was 44,50"