NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
gabe

Re: NG Dev Team announce GunLord for Neo-Geo and Dreamcast

Post by gabe »

mrsmiley381 wrote:Well, my posters came in a shitty box. Yeah, I'm somewhat pissed.

Did they use boxes for international orders and tubes for German orders or what?
Tangential post: Has anyone in the US noticed that mail from the EU consistently arrives looking like it's been through the ringer? I never have problems with domestic shipments, or shipments from Japan, but 3 of my last 4 shipments from the Eurozone have reached my doorstep looking like absolute shit.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

gabe wrote:Tangential post: Has anyone in the US noticed that mail from the EU consistently arrives looking like it's been through the ringer? I never have problems with domestic shipments, or shipments from Japan, but 3 of my last 4 shipments from the Eurozone have reached my doorstep looking like absolute shit.
Either US postal service hates Europe or the European postal service hates the US.
SkylineR32

Post by SkylineR32 »

Herr Schatten wrote:
gabe wrote:Tangential post: Has anyone in the US noticed that mail from the EU consistently arrives looking like it's been through the ringer? I never have problems with domestic shipments, or shipments from Japan, but 3 of my last 4 shipments from the Eurozone have reached my doorstep looking like absolute shit.
Either US postal service hates Europe or the European postal service hates the US.
I've sent and received packages all over the world, even to remote areas of China and the like and the ONLY postal serivce I have ever had trouble with is the USPS. Lost and destroyed packages (which they have admitted too), damaged items, packages taking up to 3 months to arrive etc. never had a single issue with anything out of Europe or the UK. My Gunloard arrived 100% in tact and on time in a sturdy cardboard box :D
Touch Me, I'm Sick

Still Silvergunning after 12 years!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

gabe wrote:
mrsmiley381 wrote:Well, my posters came in a shitty box. Yeah, I'm somewhat pissed.

Did they use boxes for international orders and tubes for German orders or what?
Tangential post: Has anyone in the US noticed that mail from the EU consistently arrives looking like it's been through the ringer? I never have problems with domestic shipments, or shipments from Japan, but 3 of my last 4 shipments from the Eurozone have reached my doorstep looking like absolute shit.
Nope, and I think that my Euromail gets routed through GR too...(since I am also in MI)
GSK

Post by GSK »

http://igg.me/at/gunlord

Coming to Wii U (scanlines!) and 3DS (stereoscopic 3D!). They're aiming to raise 50k EUR, but it sounds like they just want the money to subsidise development and that the release of the game isn't strictly dependent on them hitting their goal.
ryu

Post by ryu »

GSK wrote:http://igg.me/at/gunlord

Coming to Wii U (scanlines!) and 3DS (stereoscopic 3D!). They're aiming to raise 50k EUR, but it sounds like they just want the money to subsidise development and that the release of the game isn't strictly dependent on them hitting their goal.
did gunlord sell so well to warrant this? most people who care probably bought the mvs or dreamcast release already, and i don't see many of these putting down money for a digital copy.
although i think it would be a a neat game to play on the 3ds.

btw i hear nintendo funds projects like these themselves if they're popular enough.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I believe they want to release it for a system outputting high resolutions, with people who don't keep CRTs in mind.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Sorry to be negative, but I'm really skeptic about this Indiegogo. I mean, who has a Wii U anyway? If it was a port for the more popular consoles, maybe computers and mobile as well, you guys would have a better chance.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Only retro gamers keep their DCs anywhere near their TVs, and even they tend to replace CRTs with LCDs. On top of that, porting the game won't likely take much effort.
Wii U owners (count 'em all) may by vying for some exclusives at the moment.
The way out is cut off

antron

Post by antron »

I have a Wii U, Windwaker HD's coming fools!

I also just plopped down my 12 commie bucks, can't wait!
GSK

Post by GSK »

ryu wrote: did gunlord sell so well to warrant this? most people who care probably bought the mvs or dreamcast release already, and i don't see many of these putting down money for a digital copy.
I think you are massively overestimating the size of the DC/MVS homebrew scene, and the level of awareness people have for NGDEV games outside of the hardcore STG spheres. This game is gonna sell more copies in its first week on the eShop than it ever did for MVS/DC, and 99% of the buyers wiill have been completely unaware of its origins.
ryu

Post by ryu »

GSK wrote:
ryu wrote: did gunlord sell so well to warrant this? most people who care probably bought the mvs or dreamcast release already, and i don't see many of these putting down money for a digital copy.
I think you are massively overestimating the size of the DC/MVS homebrew scene, and the level of awareness people have for NGDEV games outside of the hardcore STG spheres. This game is gonna sell more copies in its first week on the eShop than it ever did for MVS/DC, and 99% of the buyers wiill have been completely unaware of its origins.
apparently it has to be funded first though, and i don't see this campaign going very far
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I hope this works out well for NG Dev. Glad to see them branching out more.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

GSK wrote:This game is gonna sell more copies in its first week on the eShop than it ever did for MVS/DC, and 99% of the buyers wiill have been completely unaware of its origins.
But most of those potential buyers, right now, are completely unaware that the game even exists. That's why the campaign is not taking off.
GSK

Post by GSK »

ryu wrote: apparently it has to be funded first though, and i don't see this campaign going very far
I'm not sure it does. They're being kinda disingenuous about whether the ports are dependent on them reaching their goal or not; they've already lowered the total in response to questions along those lines.
Stormwatch wrote: But most of those potential buyers, right now, are completely unaware that the game even exists. That's why the campaign is not taking off.
That's NGDEV's fault--their press released amounted to "we don't know how to market our game, please do it for us! TIA". I mean, they haven't even posted about it here, have they?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Zero interest in pre-ordering a digital release, especially for consoles I don't yet (but might next year) own. Gunlord is a fantastic game, so it'd be nice to see it get a wider audience though.

They changed the project so that it had a fixed goal - beforehand it was a floating target which loosely translated to "whatever we get, we keep", so a fixed goal brings back "money back if goal isn't reached".
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Does Wii U scale Wii games' graphics up to HD? If it does, Wii would be a more reasonable choice. Unless they intend to rework graphics in high resolution without cutting corners, that I imagine would be rather labourious.
The way out is cut off

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I doubt this campaign will make it, but I'm hoping they'll release the ports anyway (they seem somewhat clueless what they're going to do atm). This game seems perfect for handhelds so I'll get the 3DS version.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Does Wii U scale Wii games' graphics up to HD?
No.
Austin

Post by Austin »

If they actually do bring Gunlord out to the Wii U, I will support it. I already have the Dreamcast version, but I'd like to see more of this on modern consoles. Perhaps if this works out, NG:DEV may bring out some of their other previous releases as well. I hope so, if only to have some of their back catalog reach a wider audience.
Pretas wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Does Wii U scale Wii games' graphics up to HD?
No.
Nintendo has outright denied it, but some think that it may actually be doing it. The thought crossed my mind as well that, perhaps, Nintendo simply didn't want to "support" upscaling as a "feature", and so they just say it can't do it as to not waste any internal resources on it (customer service, advertising, PR, whatever). What I do know from first-hand experience is that Wii games are stretched to a widescreen format when played on the Wii U, and on my TV most games are a lot sharper. On IGN's Wii U FAQ page, they claim that if you have it hooked up via HDMI, the Wii mode will be outputting 480p (versus the standard 480i signal via a Wii with composite connectors). They claim this small change will make Wii games look significantly superior on a Wii U, but I don't know if I buy that reasoning (just going from 480i to 480p). Granted, HDMI is a much cleaner signal than composite (or component), so that could be what's helping. What I do know is when I play games like Mario Kart on the Wii U, it looks super sharp. Like, Wii U sharp, no blur, everything is crisp around the edges almost as if I ran the game in an emulator on a PC and raised the resolution. This is what makes me doubt Nintendo's word on the subject. Or maybe I am completely wrong and my eyes are deceiving me. But usually they are pretty good to me when it comes to things like this.
ryu

Post by ryu »

it's possible that the wii mode on wii u doesn't add a filter to the progressive output as the wii does. also, even though it's been a while since i tested this, i think that my monitor interpreted my wii u's wii mode signal as 1080p. so it appears that the wii u does indeed scale in wii mode.
THE

Post by THE »

Rescue your battle waifu :D

This must be the best Gunlord video ever.
We are laying on the ground here and laughing our asses off.

Please spread this video. Everyone who sees it will pledge on the Indiegogo or else their battle waifu will kick their ass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... _gtb3wniVY
The future is 2D
antron

Post by antron »

those guys should smoke some more and calm down. great stuff though: "is there an explore button?" :lol:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

ryu wrote:it's possible that the wii mode on wii u doesn't add a filter to the progressive output as the wii does. also, even though it's been a while since i tested this, i think that my monitor interpreted my wii u's wii mode signal as 1080p. so it appears that the wii u does indeed scale in wii mode.
Well if this isn't saying. I see no reason whatsoever why Nintendo wouldn't implement the feature. PS2 scales up to 1080i without breaking a sweat for crying out loud (it's just that few games utilise it).
The way out is cut off

GSK

Post by GSK »

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

trap15

Post by trap15 »

You don't get funding to do what you want when you have things overdue for any news whatsoever by 6 months? I'm genuinely surprised!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ryu

Post by ryu »

The game is actually coming to Switch now.

https://youtu.be/HnhcUJt3FVs
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I have it on the DC...pretty solid if you like this sort of plat former. Could use another boss or two though later on in the game.

EDIT - Didn't watch the video before I posted. Bravo to them for making all those changes. I don't have a Switch, but I would buy this if I did.
Last edited by Stevens on Wed May 08, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lord, I have come for you.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Only €9,99 too. I got the game on MVS and I've played through it, I wouldn't mind double-dipping especially with all the new content.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Glad to see this wasn't just a random announcement all those years ago! Looks like they've done a good job from the trailer.