Japanese Xbox 360 hardware production discontinued?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Pretas
Banned User

Japanese Xbox 360 hardware production discontinued?

Post by Pretas »

I can't find a source for this, but people are saying that Microsoft has ceased production of Japan region Xbox 360 consoles, although games will continue to be released. I'm interested in confirming this info, because I'd like to own one at some point to play certain games that were never localized or made region free. If true, the import price for J-360s is going to steadily rise over the coming months, and unopened units will no longer be available.
evil_ash_xero

Re: Japanese Xbox 360 hardware production discontinued?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I hope not. I still need to buy my backup JP Xbox 360, and I'm broke now. If this is the case, I'll have to find the funds.

Why Japan...WHY?!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

cant you just get a jtag on any xbox then
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Don't know anything about it, honestly.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Bananamatic wrote:cant you just get a jtag on any xbox then
You can't use JTAG systems online without significant risk of MS finding out and banning you from XBL/bricking your 360. I want to able to safely download patches/DLC, access online leaderboards, and maybe play Senko DUO with someone.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Pretas wrote:I can't find a source for this, but people are saying that Microsoft has ceased production of Japan region Xbox 360 consoles, although games will continue to be released.
The writing was on the wall two years ago: Report: Japanese retailers backing away from Xbox 360.

Also even if you are correct I doubt that they are discontinuing the Asian model - which will work for Japanese games in NA if you use a NA Xbox 360 power supply.
Pretas wrote:You can't use JTAG systems online without significant risk of MS finding out and banning you from XBL/bricking your 360. I want to able to safely download patches/DLC, access online leaderboards, and maybe play Senko DUO with someone.
Taking the longer view these reasons are irrelevant. My original stock XBox works perfectly fine but is unable to connect to Xbox LIVE today - the day will come were that will be true for the Xbox 360. In the long run it makes sense to obtain the matching RGH kit for the model(s) that you own and obtain the tools to back up your paid-for-content (and patches) from your stock console to storage to be deployed later to an RGH unit. Unfortunately you can deploy content you didn't pay for too - which is why this technology came into being in the first place. But as of yet there is no 100% "ethical" way of enjoying "your Xbox 360 paid-for-stuff" (regardless of region) in indefinite perpetuity.
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

MS is only selling about 650 consoles monthly in Japan so they probably have enough stock for the coming years :lol:
bcass

Post by bcass »

Pretas wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:cant you just get a jtag on any xbox then
You can't use JTAG systems online without significant risk of MS finding out and banning you from XBL/bricking your 360. I want to able to safely download patches/DLC, access online leaderboards, and maybe play Senko DUO with someone.
Being banned from XBL doesn't "brick" your console, it simply stops you from connecting to Live.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, where can I get some information about JTagging? Is it soft modding or hard modding?

Soft modding is A OK with me. Hard modding would take some thinking about. I just know how expensive modding a system can be sometimes, and Xboxes aren't the most...reliable machines.

Also, how are the new Xbox 360 slims? I have a Falcon, and it still works. But I think a lot of that has to do with me installing all the games, so the system doesn't overheat.
Is the failure rate with the new slims bad or normal?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's a hardware modification.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

trap15 wrote:It's a hardware modification.

Who does it, and what's the price range? Also, is it hard to find DLC to games? Like patches for DOJ and Mushimesama?
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
trap15 wrote:It's a hardware modification.

Who does it, and what's the price range? Also, is it hard to find DLC to games? Like patches for DOJ and Mushimesama?
I imagine it would, just get an actual Japanese XBOX instead of cheapening the experience by losing access to leader boards and patches and DLC.

Like someone else said there is probably excess stock that will be sitting around doing nothing for years.
bcass

Post by bcass »

It's going to be many years yet before JPN & Asian 360s become hard to get. Asian 360s are still being manufactured. DLC and patches are easy to obtain from various sites on the web if you mod a 360 but losing access to Live, as previously noted, really does cheapen the experience.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

bcass wrote:It's going to be many years yet before JPN & Asian 360s become hard to get.
If there is some truth to the initial post, I suspect it is related to the switch over of production from the 'S' model to the 'E' model - so it may very well be that it was decided that there won't be any Japanese 'E' consoles. So if you aren't bothered by the loss of legacy video connections (S-video, RGB, component, VGA) Asian 'E' models should be around for a while. If you want the full range of AV connections (and the reliability) of an 'S' model (Asian (220V) or Japanese (100V), see also Xbox 360 power supply), you better strike soon before the gouging starts.

The RGH option addresses managing your content post-Xbox-360-XBL across your individual consoles. While there are dual NAND solutions, using a stock console while XBL-connections still can be made is the safer approach. Given the situation the Japanese Xbox-360-XBL could be the first one to go dark. While all this may still be some time off, the kits are available now for some models. Once Xbox-360-XBL goes dark the kits may no longer be that easy to find.

EDIT: For all we know Microsoft could be, as a cost cutting/restructuring measure, preparing to move Japanese XBL accounts into the Asian service - so that by the time of the Xbox One launch the Japanese XBL service (and region) can be eliminated entirely and serviced by the Asian XBL service.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

They should just start producing universal region 360's instead.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Solaris Japan seems to be selling Japanese E models:
http://www.solarisjapan.com/categories/ ... /Hardware/

J360E 4GB ¥17,990/US$183.50
J360E 250GB ¥29,800/US$303.96

Right now they are "dumping" their J360S(2012) 250GB for ¥23,500/US$239.70
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

HydrogLox wrote:which will work for Japanese games in NA if you use a NA Xbox 360 power supply.
Wait, so with the Chinese 360 you can use a NA power supply? Not the 3 prong chinese/british plug?
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Quick question.

I am in the market for a J360 and figure I might as well go for the new E model that should be quieter and cooler.

On Solarisjapan, the difference between the 250GB HD model and the 4GB model is $120. Is there a cheap / easy way to add a HD after purchasing to keep the cost down?

*EDIT* Meh, actually screw it. There doesn't seem to be much advantage to the new model and it takes out the option of using VGA output if for some reason I need it. Just going to go with the slim model
Last edited by cicada88 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

PurpBullets wrote:Wait, so with the Chinese 360 you can use a NA power supply?
Yes, as long as you match the hardware revision and wattage of the power brick. That is the advantage of the power brick.
Over the life cycle of the Xbox 360 there have been 203 (Xenon, Zephr), 175 (Falcon, Opus), 150 (Jasper), 135 (S Trinity), 120 (S/E Corona) Watt power supplies.
See http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/ ... wer-supply for details.
The 203W PSU can be used with Falcon, Opus and Jasper, while the 175W PSU can also be used with Jasper.
Despite what the Microsoft site says - I got a late 360S (presumably Corona) with a 120W PSU - however earlier 360S consoles typically shipped with 135W PSUs.
PurpBullets wrote:Not the 3 prong chinese/british plug?
A variety of AC cords could potentially be used with the same power brick - but of course that doesn't change the AC supply voltage.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

cicada88 wrote:I am in the market for a J360 and figure I might as well go for the new E model that should be quieter and cooler.
Personally I'd take a 360S over a 360E - the 360E reduced the A/V options (no support for S-Video, SCART, component or VGA - and no optical audio (S/PDIF) out) and it has one less USB port.
Xbox 360 E console review: New Xbox 360 brings nothing new to table
cicada88 wrote:Is there a cheap / easy way to add a HD after purchasing to keep the cost down?
You can use an official domestic Xbox 360 hard drive as they are not region specific - but the list price for the 320GB is still US$ 130.00 (though there may be some good sales coming Black Friday). Third party hard drives will void your warranty (I doubt you'd care) and some remain concerned about a potential future ban - though this late in the game it seems unlikely.
Has anyone been banned from XBOX live for using aftermarket hard drives?