psikyo pcb region modding

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
japtor

psikyo pcb region modding

Post by japtor »

i just recently noticed on sheeps world of arcades that changing regions on the later psikyo pcbs is a simple solder solution. problem is he doesnt have diagrams of the games i have. so anyone know the jumper layouts for the different versions of space bomber, gunbird 2, and gunbarich?

after reading about how to do the switch i noticed a blob of solder on one of the jumpers on my gunbarich board. if its the same as dragon blaze, looks like i mightve had the international version a board before. which reminds me of another question, anyone know the differences between the different region a/b versions?
dpful

Post by dpful »

I play dragon blaze US- before I switched it, I didn't notice any differences except for start overs on the later levels- maybe a new title screen.

also, the trick works for all the identical boards- I did that one and then all my strikers'
japtor

Post by japtor »

forgot to ask, if the jumpers are set to some unknown setting, will it just not boot, put up an error or what?
dpful

Post by dpful »

I didn't try that. If the boards designed with the jumpers, the extra traces might not go anywhere? I wouldn't try it.
Do you know how to connect those jumpers with a pencil? Just draw a line. That way, you could try all of them out.
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

If you change the region, does that affect the gameplay at all?

I have a Gunbird II PCB which is currently set to Japan region, and I'm considering altering it to US region so I can get English language. If I do it I will probably try to install a jumper so it will be switchable.

However, I know some games have a different difficulty setting or something when set to different regions and I don't want to mess anything up.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
japtor

Post by japtor »

i figured out the switch for gb2. its basically the opposite of dragon blaze and gunbarich (and on jp4 instead of jp5). cut the top one for international version a, or the bottom one for version b (and the other way around for dragon blaze/gunbarich).

and i dont think it changes the difficulty setting. the default/factory/reset/whatever settings are for 'normal', so in that sense, its the same. as for 'normal' itself being a different difficulty, i havent noticed, seems the same.
PsikyoFan

Re: psikyo pcb region modding

Post by PsikyoFan »

japtor wrote:anyone know the differences between the different region a/b versions?
On all of the games that I looked at the disassemblies for, there was absolutely no difference between the International ver A/B except for the string displayed at bootup.

It's probably for different regions i.e. West/Asia or US/Restofworld.