Mamoru-kun Has Been Cursed - Western PS3 Release

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
soupbones

Re: Mamoru-kun Has Been Cursed - Western PS3 Release

Post by soupbones »

Totally forgot to check this out... Until now..

Not 100% on the curse/scoring mechanic yet, but that's my own fault since I rushed thru the tutorial.

Really like the short level design, music is amazing, graphics are...interesting? Not bad, but I'm generally not a fan of that plastic, 3D look in my shooters - but it's so strange, that it works. The characters, level design and overall package is awesome - really glad I came into this thread and decided to give it a shot.

This game has just the right amount of weird for me, and it's seems laid back - which was what I was looking for lately. A nice change from the constant punishment I'm receiving from my runs with Dimahoo, DDP Sai and Ibara lately.

Reminds me a little of KiKiKaiKai, but not as free roaming. Really loving it so far!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Alright so I beat story mode and got the good ending, and I'm kinda disappointed that the boss was just a sort of abomination, and they never really said who was behind it all. That, and you never encounter Luchino. Who the hell is he?! I hope there's a sequel.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

I've been on the fence about this game and everybody here has posted solid responses. I'm still on the fence though. I'm assuming most of you play on arcade sticks because I can see how this game would be a pain in the ass to play without the Dual Analog setup. I know I might get trashed for this but I definitely think Under Defeat also benefited from the Dual Analog controls.

Can anybody shed light on this because controls are kind of the deal breaker on this game for me.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
slk486

Mamoru-kun Has Been Cursed - Western PS3 Release

Post by slk486 »

Dual analog is fine in the game, if that's what you're asking?
Mero

Post by Mero »

I played the game with my arcade stick and got on fine, surely if you were playing on analogue sticks one of them would be superfluous? (excuse me if I'm being really thick, I've never used the dual analogue sticks in my life).
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

You'll be fine with dual analogues, in fact it will probably help you in Netherworld Adventure Mode because IIRC one handles your movement, and the other your aiming.

However I believe you cannot dual analogues in Arcade Mode and Story Mode. So it'll be pretty much like any other shooter played with a controller. Personally I very much prefer arcade sticks, but it's up to you.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

adversity1 wrote: However I believe you cannot dual analogues in Arcade Mode and Story Mode.
wtf are you talking about? I use dual mode in all three.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

Lord Satori wrote:
adversity1 wrote: However I believe you cannot dual analogues in Arcade Mode and Story Mode.
wtf are you talking about? I use dual mode in all three.
Breathe & relax bro lol. No need for snappin / bein bi-polar for peoples minor mistake.
Last edited by ArmoredCore on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Nobody snapped, and that wasn't a minor mistake. (also I don't think bi-polar means what you think)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sounded like snapping to me. Considering "wtf" means "What the fuck", which generally implies that a serious error was made. And he said "I believe" rather than firmly asserting that you can't. So, yeah, nice snapping.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

No need to go any further with this matter outside of PM, methinks: back on topic please.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

So is the whole point to "cursing" a larger enemy for scoring? I'm still a bit confused by this - even after I went thru the tutorial.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mainly scoring, yeah. Basically, when you hit a large enemy with the "curse" shot it starts shooting out extra bullets, but when you kill it its shots are cancelled into point items; also, if any nearby smaller enemies pass through the "curse circle" while it's active on the big guy, they become "cursed" as well and surrender lots more point items than usual when shot down. If you want to use the curse shot defensively you'll generally want to avoid cursing baddies too much, as you can't fire another curse shot (and thus cancel any bullets) until it wears off.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Cursed enemies have their health drained slowly, which means they're easier to kill, so there's that.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Before I purchase this, would it play all-right on an old 480i or a BVM CRT monitor? Or should I wait until I have my HD gaming setup done?
Is there a playable arcade resolution graphics mode?
geremy

Post by geremy »

Hmm. Why does Under Defeat HD have a >30 page thread and this (seemingly much deeper) PS3 shmup only have a 4 page thread? Is it simply that Under Defeat had a physical release while this does not or is all the discussion for this game already take place in the strategy forum? I'm curious because I'm going to buy one of these titles from PSN, seems like this one is the better game but maybe less popular?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

geremy wrote:... seems like this one is the better game but maybe less popular?
It's all a matter of taste. If you don't know what is to your liking, who will? For example, some find (some of) Cave's premier output "deliciously complex", while others might call the same "hopelessly overwrought". I got the PS3 "Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!" three months before the Japanese release of "Under Defeat HD" - gave it a quick whirl which left me thinking "I have no idea what is going on here ... maybe later" - shelved (no patience). Then "Under Defeat HD" arrives - many, many hours down the drain. "Lone VKL5.03(P) goes through Despair, Hell and back" - no more story/explanation required. "Under Defeat HD" also had the advantage of building on the established reputation of the Sega Naomi/DC "Under Defeat" (which is still the preferred vertical version). Now being fond of G.rev's output I still got "Mamorukun Curse" as a "translation guide" - so there is hope for me yet.

These may help you make up your mind:
Bullet Heaven HD Episode 58 - Under Defeat HD (PS3)
Bullet Heaven HD Episode 78 - Mamorukun Curse! (PSN)

Aside: Most new players will simply elect to use the "twin stick configuration" on either game rather than using the arcade/D-pad control. Personally I like to use to the original control scheme (though even I draw a line at the XII Stag/XIIZeal waggle - side shot button for me please). After a long break from the PS3 I downloaded "Mamorukun Curse" and gave it a whirl again. I started swearing and bitching because the D-pad seemed to stick like crazy, so there was no sense of control. Then it suddenly hit me - I never use the DS3 on "Under Defeat HD", I always use the Hori PS3 Fighting Commander 3 Pro - what a difference that makes (I'm usually too lazy to haul out the arcade stick)!
Mero

Post by Mero »

geremy wrote:Hmm. Why does Under Defeat HD have a >30 page thread and this (seemingly much deeper) PS3 shmup only have a 4 page thread?
That UDHD thread was created when UDHD was announced for the very first time 2 years ago, when it was a forthcoming brand new release. This Mamorukun thread only concerns the US localisation of the game that happened recently.

Opinions vary but personally I vastly prefer Mamoru-kun to Under Defeat.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Yeah, I guess the UD HD thread being much older really helps. I definitely prefer the more complex shooters so I'll pick up this one. Thx.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

If anyone is wanting to get this for cheap, Mamoru-Kun is 1/2 off on US/NA PSN! (from 10/1-10/8) ($10)

So yeah! :3
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Nice price. But this is just the same game as on the 360, right? (I'm asking because I've already got the 360 game.)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Aside from being translated, the PS3 edition includes the two DLC characters from the 360 version, as well as a "mission" mode played in yoko widescreen; IIRC the US edition also includes the DLC costumes for each character. Anything I'm forgetting?
KAI

Post by KAI »

New music.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

To answer P.G. and B.M's posts, the PS3 NA Digital Version is pretty much the complete version, so yeah $10 for everything included is real good (haven't got it yet, but maybe down the line before the sale's over.) :3
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Interesting. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to play a shmup on the PS3 for a change.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Just a quick pick-me-up, the game is still (on sale for) $10 until 10/15, so yeah, if you want the complete experience for cheap, now is the time to get it.
D-KMR

Post by D-KMR »

Is it still 20$ on the store?
Considering paying a friend to get me a PSN card when she goes to America on Thursday.
I'm pretty hooked on the OST and the game looks interesting although I'm slightly confused by it, is it worth splashing the cash for in you guys' opinions?
RegalSin wrote:Not completly unslavagable. I just pretend, they are a sex hungery girls who are demanding sex from thier libidoless lovers. Telling them how to have sex, and what to do in bed.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Yeah, its worth it. Definitely worth it.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

If anyone wants to get it for really cheap now, its $5 on the US PSN store from 3/19/-3/25. :3
genetik

Post by genetik »

NeoStrayCat wrote:If anyone wants to get it for really cheap now, its $5 on the US PSN store from 3/19/-3/25. :3
Amazing price. Would pick it up if I didnt already bought it during the last sale (at $10). Five buck is nothing for what was, for a long time, an import exclusive that cost way more.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe