SD: Strikers 1945 II Boss Strategies

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

Kiken

Given some of the recent concern (and the fact that I wanted to do this anyway) in the S 1945 2 scorring thread over boss killing (without wasting bombs), I've started putting together some demonstrations (granted, my own videos will be in Original Mode 1).

These are going to be short videos chronicling boss killing techniques and bullet dodging patterns. Anyone else with such videos is also welcome to post here (I know that some time ago, Mode 7 submitted a Pancake demo of the stage 8 boss). I hope some discussion can also come up.

Anyhow, the first video demonstrates my technique for taking down Syumi (the big flying boat):

Syumi demonstration in Original Mode 1

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Guardians Knight

Post subject:

damn its never that easy when i fight him!!

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am

Ex_mosquito

Post subject:

Cool thread. Long overdue too i reckon.

I have a few vids i can contribute that i did a while back for bosses after 1-4, with no bomb use.

The quality isnt great because the only way i have of video capture is with mame and a capture program, which for some reason i can only get half assed results from. Anyway here they are.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-5_Boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-6_boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-6_safe_spot.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-6_mess_around.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-7boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-8_Midboss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/Ex_m ... stboss.avi

Last edited by Ex_mosquito on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:28 am

Kiken

Post subject:

Ex_mosquito wrote:
Cool thread. Long overdue too i reckon.

I have a few vids i can contribute that i did a while back for bosses after 1-4, with no bomb use.

The quality isnt great because the only way i have of video capture is with mame and a capture program, which for some reason i can only get half assed results from. Anyway here they are.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-5_Boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-6_boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1.7boss.avi
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/Ex_m ... stboss.avi

Ah, so all of your videos are in Tate mode. It's always interesting to see the slight differences between Yoko 1 and full Tate.

Your 1-7 video is giving me an error when I try to D/L it.

My technique for dealing with the stage 1-5 boss is almost identicle to yours... I just change up one part (when the claws fire the rapid angled shots). I'll post the video of that shortly to compare.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:34 am

Ex_mosquito

Post subject:

ah yeah, i forgot to say they're all in in TATE mode, whoops. Im pretty sure the TATE strats will work in original 1 mode up until the last boss.Ii remeber mode7 posting a final boss replay in original 1 mode and the patterns were totally different, strange

1-7 should be working fine now.

Also, i forgot this one.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-8_Midboss.avi

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:19 am

IlMrm

Post subject:

Very cool thread indeed.

Here's a couple of things I noticed that I hoped will help in some ways:

- In the 2nd loop by keeping the shot level low it helps keep the rank low(at level three, where the Hayate shoots only four purple shots). However after a while the game goesback to full rank(I think, it was pretty fast) despite me at level three. So I guess it only keeps slowing down if you lose a plane. Second loop is a little more manageable with rank down. Also first loop, starting at the middle of 1-6.

- The hitbox seems to be the length of your plane, from propeller to tail fins.

- It might be just me, but it seems this game more than other will shoot a slow bullet just ahead of you(especially during boss fights), that you are forced to wander into or trapped by the scrolling screen. Usually it's that one separate bullet a little further away from its horde.

- In the 2nd loop sometimes it's better not to shoot the little drones that don't fire. There's a couple of spots where you can ram past them to give yourself more room.

- To my knowledge I don't think there's a way to trigger a specific order of the first four levels, or which mid-boss will show up at mission seven.

- There are more bullets and more enemies in Original 2 then Original 1. The bullets are faster, and the mission eight boss have different patterns in Original 2.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:46 pm

Landshark

Post subject:

Ex_mosquito wrote:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark9/1-6_mess_around.avi

Those are awesome videos. I had no idea you could control the mass-spread during the 1st half like that. That's gotta look even cooler at full FPS.

I just dodge everything, except for the 2nd phase where I stay inside the fire and sit put. However, I have to bomb when he shoots that big multispeed spread (2nd half).

Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:36 pm

Guardians Knight

Post subject:

cheers mosquito the vids will come in very handy

Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:18 am

IlMrm

Post subject:

Thanks Kiken for that Syumi video. Going to the upper left worked wonders. One more bomb saved.

Can't wait for your video on the train boss.

Thanks Ex_mosquito for your videos. Very fun to watch. The 1-6 mess around is great! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. With your videos now I know how to fight the bosses if I ever play it in TATE.

Notes:

- In the second loop, sometimes the suicide bullets seems to go straight down, unaimed. Other times they seem to be aimed straight at you, or even just ahead of where you are headed. I am not sure how that works.

- Two kinds of drones I've noticed. There are drones that doesn't shoot at you(usually fly in formation, or solo, straight down the screen), but will shoot a suicide bullet when destroyed. Then there are those who swoop close to you, shoot a bullet, and a suicide bullet when destroyed(These bastards usually fly in erratic ways - but you can destroy them before they shoot, and only have to deal with their suicide bullets. These are the ones that seem to shoot aimed suicide bullets).

I believed Venom mentioned in his gaming journal that the Hayate's drones can be annoying sometimes in the second loop because they destroy drones at a bad time and place, leaving you to deal with suicide bullets awkwardly. That is indeed troublesome.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:30 pm

Kiken

Post subject:

Ok, after playing about 30 times and constantly getting Syumi as the stage 1-4 boss, the game finally gave me a break and let me go up against Gliath, so here's that video:

Stage 1-4 Gliath demonstration in Original Mode 1

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:51 pm

IlMrm

Post subject:

Thanks Kiken for the video.

Sadly, I still can't do it. Those spinning droids are too unpredictable. I think Gliath is the hardest 1-4 boss. I am afraid I have to continue using a bomb on this guy at 1-4.

I wonder how Pancake users deal with this guy. The first part probably won't be destroyed quick enough, and it will shoot those clockwise/counter-clockwise sprays. The Pancake's supershot will probably take out the droids as they come out...it'll probably be a hell of a battle.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:58 pm

Super Noodle

Post subject: Goliath, 1-4

Howdy hey.

I reckon I could help do some of these videos (especially for those who want some non-Hayate-or-Pancake lovin'), but have no idea HOW to make 'em. : )

Do any of you guys have advice on how to make a video, or could you point me in the direction of some resources?

IlMrm -- Here's something that can help you with GOLIATH'S HELI-DROIDS:

The droids are evil, since they release before the set-pattern spreads. However, their bullets fire in a 3-2-1 pattern: That is, three aimed bullets, center aimed at your position, two bullets with gap aimed at your position, last bullet aimed at you. Check Kiken's (wonderfully done, I might add) video for that in action. If you're not quite up to the broad sweep done there (which, I might add, is highly subject to split-second timing), you can try to jiggle around in a tight area, dancing in the gaps, then speed away in Bullet-Hoarding Gone Mad (tm). You're also right about super-shots killing them before they release, but that's highly plane-dependent.

Also, to all, Re: LEVEL SELECT RIGGING -- There IS a way to rig level selection, or at least generally guide it. It involves whether you press left or right to select your plane, and how much time is left. Strikers 1945 III made it easier to rig level selection with its number gauge on the top of the screen, but Strikers II still responds well.

Easiest example: The instant the plane-select screen comes up, tap right until you select the Focke-Wulf, and hit start. 7 times outta ten, you'll get the Syumi Type Zero as the 1-1, with the Graf Zeppelin being the other 2.9 times. If you select the Focke-Wulf by going LEFT, as fast as you can, you'll get Iron Casket or Goliath MUCH more often. I myself am still looking into how it affects later level selection, as it requires playing the run through. ; )

Oh, and for whoever's interested on the relationship between the modes on the home version versus arcade TATE, Original 2's the way to go for arcade-perfect TATE practice: outside of the jiggle-screen, the balance is the same. Original 1 slows things down due to the smaller screen, so the arcade version's a bit of a surprise when you handle it; I speak from (humble) experience. : )

Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:10 pm

IlMrm

Post subject:

Thanks Super Noodle. I never realized those damn droids shoot in that pattern.

I could do it at 1-3, but not 1-4. I hate those little bastards.

I still say the hitbox is funky. There are times when I could do "Giga Wingish squeeze through bullets" and I won't lose a plane, then there'll be time when a bullet barely touched me, and I lose a plane. This is especially true during the 1-8 boss, the third form(when it shoots crap from both arms, and those big bullets from left/right).

To Ex_mosquito - I tried your technique on Cross Sinker's second form(the 3 part attack). It worked, but I did it when the game slowed down, since I lost a plane. I don't know if the shrunken screen of Original 1 will make things any different. But dodging Cross Sinker's attacks look mighty cool. I think I'll just bomb him.

Finally found a way for the part after the 1-8 midboss - the part with the orbs and the two orange things. Venom mentioned it before. With the Hayate, have to lay down a level one supershot on the left, then go the the bottom right, then dance your way left and up. Very tricky. Also you can power down twice while moving left, by hitting the orbs, makes the last boss fight somewhat easier. Mode7's Pancake video showed that the Pancake is so much easier for that part.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:14 pm

Venom

Post subject:

Using my strategies and beating my score, grrr! *shakes fist*

As for level rigging, try choosing Hayate with 7 or less seconds remaining. I usually get Train or Land first that way. If not, just keep restarting until you get it the way you like if it bothers you so much.

The cross sinker 2nd form attack: line up at the bottom so you're left wing tip is at the right edge of the Lv.X text. Just watch the larger shots and it is an easy two tap right dodge.

Using pancake on Galiath 1-4. When the clockwise/counter attack starts on the first section you can circle around behind the section of the boss. The pancakes speed should let you stay ahead of the attack. With hayate I dodge the first part and lay a level 2 on the second section.

It seems to me that the 2nd loop's difficult must be different in Original 1, with bullets slowed down and the hayate's drones not being able to go far upscreen to cause bad suicide bullet patterns. Just strange that you said you finish the loop with 0-1 bombs left and manage to reach 2-4.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:50 pm

IlMrm

Post subject:

Yeah, only if I get the sky and sea in the first three levels of the second loop. The others two stages are hell.

The sea stage is mostly broad sweeps to draw the fire and suicide bullets of the bombers. The Hayate's supershot does wonder, and if timed right, you can match your sweeps with the bombers destruction accordingly. Just got to watch out for the unpredictable shots from the drones.

Speaking of those drones, they fired their shots/suicide bullets way too close, sometimes cutting off the only escape route. I think that gets me more then any other types of attacks.

Maybe Kiken can put up the second loop missions 1-4 bombfest that I made.

Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:23 pm

Super Noodle

Post subject:

¡Díos mío!

It's not a good idea to play Strikers II at 1 in the morning! : )

Notes which may be of use:

GOLIATH DRONES: After they do the 3-2-1, they start up again. Rather quickly, I might add. : )

SYUMI TYPE ZERO FORM 2/3 -- I recall now, bitterly, that in later runs on him, his second form likes to spit tiny red aimed shots at you, from his forehead. Something to watch, especially in the starburst-swarms.

IRON CASKET TURRET GAUNTLET -- It's not too hard to dodge the turrets if you lead 'em right : get DIRECTLY under a cluster (or two), (direction-wise, not space-wise!) and bullet hoarding becomes MUCH easier. Repeat as necessary. I like doing the chain right-left-right-right-left, but that's open to interpretation. (I dunno. Helps me, since I use the Focke-Wulf. Direct fire, yo!)

CROSS-SINKER'S FIRST FORM CRAZY-BUTT ATTACK : You can go for the safe spot Landshark was MIGHTY generous to demonstrate, or, a more consistent, less error-prone (for klutzy ol' me) approach was to dart to the bottom left side of the screen inside an "opening flower petal" and simply move left and right a few times through the (actually kinda big) gaps. Kinda like using the same left-right movement to dodge Goliath's big diagonal sprays.

1-8 BOSS : Really really sucks balls. : ) (Sorry, nothing of enlightenment here!)

Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:49 pm

Landshark

Post subject:

Super Noodle wrote:
CROSS-SINKER'S FIRST FORM CRAZY-BUTT ATTACK : You can go for the safe spot Landshark was MIGHTY generous to demonstrate, or, a more consistent, less error-prone (for klutzy ol' me) approach was to dart to the bottom left side of the screen inside an "opening flower petal" and simply move left and right a few times through the (actually kinda big) gaps. Kinda like using the same left-right movement to dodge Goliath's big diagonal sprays.

It was Ex_Mosquito who demonstrated that, not me

I don't really know any "tricks" for the level 5 and 6 bosses. I just dodge what comes out. And I use 1 bomb on the 2nd form of level 6's boss when he sprays all over (3rd or 4th attack?)

Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:52 am

Kiken

Post subject:

IlMrm wrote:
Yeah, only if I get the sky and sea in the first three levels of the second loop. The others two stages are hell.

The sea stage is mostly broad sweeps to draw the fire and suicide bullets of the bombers. The Hayate's supershot does wonder, and if timed right, you can match your sweeps with the bombers destruction accordingly. Just got to watch out for the unpredictable shots from the drones.

Speaking of those drones, they fired their shots/suicide bullets way too close, sometimes cutting off the only escape route. I think that gets me more then any other types of attacks.

Maybe Kiken can put up the second loop missions 1-4 bombfest that I made.

I|Mrm, I captured the second replay you put of the tape (1,660,700 points) in its entirety (comes out to about 210 Megs). Would you prefer that I break up the first replay, or should I do a full replay and a seperate replay of just the second loop?

Let me know. I'll burn everything to a CD and mail it all back to you once I'm done.

And I figured I might as well make this public... I have captured a replay of myself making it to the second loop. I tried to avoid using bombs until I got to the final boss... as a result I died twice from tactical errors... but if anyone is interested, here's the file:

1st Loop Completion (160 Megs)

Certainly not the greatest demonstration I've ever done... but I offer some alternate dodge patterns.

Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:55 pm
toaplan_shmupfan

Re: SD: Strikers 1945 II Boss Strategies

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

There are more bullets and more enemies in Original 2 then Original 1. The bullets are faster, and the mission eight boss have different patterns in Original 2.
Absolutely true. I've never made it to mission 8; however, the US release of Strikers 1945 II (PSX version titled just Strikers 1945) does mention adjusted game balance for Original 1.