Cheap way to get component video from your old consoles

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Cheap way to get component video from your old consoles

Post by BazookaBen »

I was messing with some of my equipment today and I figured this has to be one of the cheapest ways to get (good) YPbPr from your classic consoles. Right now you could do this for around $25 if you had to buy all the components to make the cable I'm about to describe.

The only tool you need is a soldering iron and maybe a glue gun to secure the solder connections.

In this example I'll use a Genesis Model 2

Materials needed:
-RF Adapter or AV cable
-3-4 75 ohm resistors (not sure if the composite sync line needs them, but it doesn't hurt)
-3-4 220uf capacitors (ditto)
-Female VGA Connector (you can harvest one from a dead video card or motherboard, or buy one with convenient solder cups)
-VGA Cable
-Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component Converter(some other RGBHV to YPbPr transcoders will probably work). Currently these can be had for around $10 shipped if you're patient.
-Component Cables

The only thing that would change for other consoles would be whether you would need the resistors and capacitors.

First, hack up the 9-pin connector on your AV cable to expose the solder leads. You might have to temporarily remove the metal barrel. Solder some wire to the leads for RGB and Sync, found here:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

Then, connect those wires to your 75 ohm resistors, followed by the positive lead of your 220uf capacitors (negative end goes toward the display).

Now, connect these leads to the corresponding leads on your female VGA connector. Make sure you run the corresponding grounds for RGB and Sync back to your console. IMPORTANT: Make sure you connect your sync wire to BOTH H and V-sync on or you VGA connector. Or bridge them with solder or whatever.

VGA pinout: http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

That's pretty much it. Now all you have to do is connect to your Audio Authority transcoder with your VGA cable, and then connect that to your TV/monitor with component cables. Voila.

I figured this would be good solution for somebody with an HDTV that doesn't have S-video. You have to make sure your TV can support 240p through component first, though. A good way to test would be to play a PS1 game on a PS2 via component cables.
Billkwando

Re: Cheap way to get component video from your old consoles

Post by Billkwando »

Personally, I use a SCART to YUV (CSY 2100 clone) converter. I believe it accomplishes the same thing, but I can buy those convenient premade scart cables from Retro in the UK (plus that Chinese ebay seller that sells the universals that cover SNES and Saturn). You do have to adjust the color knobs in the box when you first get it, but then it looks gorgeous. Toss in a line doubler and an SLG HD and you have a beautiful setup. :)
antron

Post by antron »

BazookaBen wrote: -Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component Converter(some other RGBHV to YPbPr transcoders will probably work). Currently these can be had for around $10 shipped if you're patient.
will that even support 240p/480i? $10??
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

most transcoders support 15khz signals. I guess the conclusion from this posting should be that the AA one can be fed with RGBs signals. That's something most other trancoders don't easily support unless they're specified for it.

And finding an AA for $10 is quite a steal. Especially the RGB to component ones. They're much rarer than the ones converting the other way around.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I bout mine for $20 a few years back to hook my Dreamcast up back when I was using a Hi-scan trinitron. Looked on ebay completed listings and they can be had for even less now. EDIT: right now there are none that cheap, but I've checked from time to time out of curiosity and the auctions go for very low
antron wrote:will that even support 240p/480i? $10??
Yeah, the only caveat is that C-sync has to go over both and H and V lines. And the color and sharpness look great with no adjustment, so I imagine it's higher quality than your generic scart to YUV adapter. Audio Authority makes quality stuff. I'm currently using the YPbPr>RGBHV converter to play Xenoblade on a Diamondtron monitor.

Funny thing is that ideally I'll never have to use this, I'm hoping my PVM will last me many years.
antron

Post by antron »

great information, thanks