New Strider game...

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Zeether

New Strider game...

Post by Zeether »

...from Double Helix, the same guys who are responsible for that mediocre new Killer Instinct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMwcJI0pEg

Granted, they are working with the Strider/Strider 2 designers so this could turn out good? Maybe? It surely can't be as bad as Strider Returns/Strider II, a game so bad Capcom decided to retcon it.

Also this is most definitely the same Strider that was teased in the Steam database a while back. It's open world so it's like the NES Strider game in a way.

On the subject of Strider I kind of wish we got a Steam version of Moon Diver...

EDIT: Gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PHRrx ... r_embedded
Last edited by Zeether on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
null1024

Re: New Strider game...

Post by null1024 »

It looks neat from the trailer and definitely gave me Strider 2 vibes.
I'm hopeful.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Looks terrible. Why double helix of all the fucking things. Ugh.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Overall the 3D look has slick feel to it but the game could certainly use more colour. DH though... What the inhouse developers of Capcom do these days anyway?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Looks neat but also terrible gameplay. With that close camera either the player takes damage repeatedly or the enemies get no chance to challenge you.

Also what the fuck @ 1:15, why did that require a cutscene? Strider wouldn't stop for that!
Ebbo wrote:Overall the 3D look has slick feel to it but the game could certainly use more colour. DH though... What the inhouse developers of Capcom do these days anyway?
Probably planning their exits to work with independent developers. Probably could ask the same question of Konami, aside from Iga and Kojima (and I'm not sure Iga really has the reigns on Castlevania anymore either).
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Ebbo wrote:colour
Yeah, looking a bit too drab right now. That may work for the Bionic Commando crowd but not here.
slk486

Post by slk486 »

Double Helix must do one hell of a pitch to land stuff like this, with their questionable pedigree.

Looks too flashy for my taste.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ebbo wrote:Overall the 3D look has slick feel to it but the game could certainly use more colour.
YES.

After seeing the straight gameplay video , I'm less hopeful: that guy is tanking a lot of bullets, and the screen keeps zooming in for no reason.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
system11

Post by system11 »

Too flashy.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

slk486 wrote:Double Helix must do one hell of a pitch to land stuff like this, with their questionable pedigree.

Looks too flashy for my taste.
Double Helix used to be The Collective, before they were enveloped the Foundation 9 umbrella. But they were responsible for a few decent titles, 2 of which were pretty good for it's time: Buffy the Vampire Slayer --a beat-em-up for the OG Xbox, and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith which was pretty decent hack-and-slash movie licensed title.

Now-a-days they haven't done much worth noting, but they've stayed afloat in these questionable economic times (that's hard to say for a lot of development teams), and I would be pleasantly surprised if they pull this off well.
Capcom's known for taking chances on western devs with low-end expectations, and in some cases have been big success. Case in point, Blue Castle Games (now completely owned by Capcom) made Dead Rising right after The Bigs, and that came completely out of left-field (excuse the pun lol).

But in any case, I'll pick it up to try.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Strider Complex!
The idea of running around, climbing on everything, sneaking through a big facility is pretty cool. But yeah, I agree the camera looks so close it seems like it's hard to feel like you know what you're doing or like Ed said, there's really low challenge.
Also, seemed like you got powers constantly (though not in the original powerup style). I wonder if the game is short... Or you get a bunch up front then just upgrade them throughout (I'd assume)?
Back to the camera, fighting the mini-boss guy, the camera jumps around/is too tight. It's really hard to tell what's happening. I worry that when you play it, it's just a lot of button mashing, hoping for the best. I figure they're still working on the camera, so hopefully they can tame it in that room.

And yeah, color would be nice. Feels more sterile than the original, sure there's color in the flashes, but a lot of the interesting stylization (architecture, character designs) is now played down by either not being able to discern things from the muddy/dark lighting, or the loss of distinction the color lent it originally. Gosh, I hate to keep harping too, but even Strider 2 had a more interesting design to their "walk on the dragon" thing. The style was awesome! This one at the end looks more generic, loses that odd style that Strider had going for it.

On the up side, I think it does actually look promising, they can improve it, and I'm excited to play it! Also 2014, so time.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Nearly all of Capcom's veteran Japanese staff have jumped ship to other companies at this point. SFIV and MvC3 were both outsourced.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Looks more like Moondiver 2 than Strider. Sorry folks, Strider doesn't tank hits, and when he does eat a shot, he gets blown back, forcing the player to rethink their strategy. Yeah, lots of little bullets that are super fast that you can just run through, taking the hit. It also seems Strider regenerates a lot of his health or something because he just eats WAY too many hits.

If they wanna save this from being shovelware, ramp up the difficulty. Strider should be about speed but require perfect skill/timing. I'm just not seeing that here. Looks more like a $10 download.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

From the gameplay video, it looks like it's more of a Metroid type game than a pure action game. I noticed that enemies spawn health and Strider gains new abilities ala Metroid. My feelings about this are mixed. I rather just have a more pure Strider game.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Front Mission (D)EvolvedMichaelBayEdition is the reason why I can never trust these DH guys anymore.

Let's see how this will turn out anyway.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

BrianC wrote:My feelings about this are mixed. I rather just have a more pure Strider game.
Agreed--also .. they called it "Strider"? Come on. Anything extra would help.. don't pretend this is the definitive Strider now. Geez. Just add something to it.. I was joking about Strider Complex, but Strider Gaiden would fit pretty well. Right? Doesn't that roughly mean "side story", which would fit how they're turning the thing from linear action into Metroidvania.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Jesus christ, why on earth Capcom insist on destroying their licensed?? Bionic Commando was terrible, it is sequel more of the same, then the 3D shooter was also a joke and now we get this.
Dull gameplay, Hiryu looks like he is invincible, enemi soldiers most of the time fire at you without even being spotted, and in a few ocassions they don't notice you??? WTF?
Seriously Crapcom you'd better go back to your roots and stop all this shit. I am really happy that the shoddy Megaman game was canned.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

Capcom should stop mutilating their well respected francises and focus on making games relevant to current players. SFIV for example is technically a different game from previous sf reincarnations as it use new game dynamics and rebalance the game to incorparate the new dynamics: the ultrabar, focus attacks and new ways to cancel moves. THIS however is like just putting a fresh coat of paint with nothing new to rebalance new dynamics they introduced in the game.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Yeah, this looks...wrong. Terrible and wrong. There's missing, and then there's *MISSING*.

I swear that if they start pulling crap like this with the Ghosts n' Goblins series, somebody has to die. UG&G already played with the whole thing more than I'm happy with (the Kai re-release makes things oh-so-much better...), but Strider, too? Is nothing sacred? Next thing you know they'll be redoing 1942 as a slick WWII flight simulator.

They (Capcom, as a whole) seem to have lost their way, and more than just a little bit.
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

boagman wrote:...Next thing you know they'll be redoing 1942 as a slick WWII flight simulator...
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02584108aa...its already dead.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Yeah, this looks terrible. I wish they would leave poor Strider alone.

What's left for them to ruin? I guess they can butcher a remake of Area88.

The graphics actually didn't seem to bad and the intro trailer showed some promise. But when I watched the gameplay trailer, :? it just looks so boring. It's like the development staff have no idea what the original felt like to play. Thank God we have Cannon Dancer to play.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

boagman wrote:Yeah, this looks...wrong. Terrible and wrong. There's missing, and then there's *MISSING*.

I swear that if they start pulling crap like this with the Ghosts n' Goblins series, somebody has to die. UG&G already played with the whole thing more than I'm happy with (the Kai re-release makes things oh-so-much better...), but Strider, too? Is nothing sacred? Next thing you know they'll be redoing 1942 as a slick WWII flight simulator.

They (Capcom, as a whole) seem to have lost their way, and more than just a little bit.
jepjepjep wrote:Yeah, this looks terrible. I wish they would leave poor Strider alone.

Umm... does it really look that bad?

I think it looks kind of okay. Maybe I'm weird. :idea:

It's fluid, 2D, atmospheric, busy, with plenty to see and do. Still moves like Strider, which is the most integral thing, and bears similarities to Strider 2 (which is a very good thing.)

I don't like the Tarantino-style boss introduction or the completely wank voice acting: "I denounce your soul" - seriously? I'd just get the JP ver and spare myself the unintentional comdey.

I don't respect the tanking or energy regeneration, but I've come to terms with the fact that beggars can't be choosers these days. You normally have to allow for a bit of current gen feebleness to get close to what you want. In this case it's so they can fill the screen with constant bullets (bullets = action!) and appease kids who don't know how to make their thumbs work because they've been weaned on ipads. I'm bigger than that, I can get over it. If there's enough challenge present on the harder difficulties, this actually looks reasonably intriguing to me, and I'm not overly upset about the colour scheming since they have the Kazahk future atmosphere right.

Surprised at the absolute deluge of pessimism. I was expecting to see a much worse video when I jumped to the link.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

First time I watched the video, I thought oh hey cool. Second time after reading the replies in here, I see some of the points folks mentioned. I'll likely stick with my Genesis port, my PS1 ports on Strider 2, and the emulation of Strider 1 (complete with wonky romset with less music pieces) on CCC2 on the PS2.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Wow, looks very slick. I am not opposed to the idea of Strider Metroid (Strideroid?). Compared to other Metroids and later 'Vanias, you get upgrades in much quicker pace here, four in that seven-minute video. I wonder how that'll work in the overall scheme of the game.

Really don't get the complaints about the camera. The original Strider is pretty claustrophobic, while here the camera is either further away (around 2:15 is a good example, you see quite a bit around you) or about the same in the miniboss fight. No problems there as there's nothing else in the room to keep track of except the boss itself and it's a melee slugfest. Quick comparison shots:

It does look to be on the easy side though, I'm hoping that's just the game being still in development and/or first stage and/or easier difficulty. If nothing else, I hope there will be a harder difficulty to play as well. But yeah, I'm looking forward to trying this out.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

At least it's in 2.5D and it looks like all the moves all the moves are intact. I'm guessing it will become a victim of boring uncreative levels. Very bland graphics.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

The first Strider was so imaginative. The stages were varied and exciting (Siberia, Amazon, giant airship, etc.). The characters and enemies were cool: giant mecha gorillas, oroborous, even the final boss was memorable. The voices in different languages, and the music was great. All those aspects combined to give it a wonderful atmosphere. The game was short, challenging, fast paced, and exciting all the way through. It was setpiece after setpiece. Cannon Dancer was an excellent sequel that turned up the difficulty and refined the mechanics. The atmosphere was a really great Arabian setting that was beautiful, but maybe not quite as memorable as Strider.

I guess I have high expectations for a Strider game, but this didn't seem that impressive. The level in the trailer looks pretty bland. Granted, the outside looks nice with the snowy backgrounds, but once you go inside the base it looks like generic industrial tech building 101. I think the running animation looks terrible, and the gameplay doesn't look that exciting. The first minute or so he is just running forward absorbing bullets without even having to slow down or attempt to avoid them.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ghegs wrote:No problems there
In your comparison the turrets fire projectiles that move at a rate that can be dodged. The soldiers we're all watching at the beginning of the game seem to roll bullets into Hiryu before the player can really even react. In the original game, of course, they were melee enemies. Turning them into projectile enemies while leaving the camera the same doesn't seem to do anything for the gameplay, especially since there isn't great problem with getting hit by those.

In other words:
jepjepjep wrote:The first minute or so he is just running forward absorbing bullets without even having to slow down or attempt to avoid them.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Skykid wrote:Umm... does it really look that bad?

I think it looks kind of okay. Maybe I'm weird. :idea:
I'm going to go with that last idea, there. ;)

I guess how it "looks" depends on your perspective. Graphically speaking, I guess that it "looks" okay...pretty good, even. I'm with the others who say that it lacks color, but beyond that, I'd say that it's nice-looking.

From a gameplay perspective, though? They've not just "denounced" Strider's soul (couldn't resist...sorry), they've stolen it. I'm honestly offended by the "remakeishness" of the whole thing. I'll say this, as well: if you don't put the "Strider" moniker on there, I probably don't have any objection to it whatsoever (caveat: you're right about the Tarantino-esque BS and the voice acting, natch). Once you attach the word "Strider", you're playing not just with a still-living legend, but an incredibly high water mark in terms of gaming. It's a *standard-bearer*, for crying out loud. Use it at your own risk. Here, they've failed to capture Strider's spirit, in my opinion.

They've changed the very nature of the beast, I'm afraid. It's akin to coming out with a new Ferrari...with a V6 and excellent gas mileage, with a 0-60MPH time of 12.6 seconds! And it's a *hybrid*! With a rear seat DVD player and cup holders, cup holders, and even *more* cup holders!

Names mean something because they've earned their place. The very best names aren't above being paid homage to...but you'd better be darned sure you know how to do it up *right* if you're going to stake your claim using a great name. For my money, these folks aren't even in the right universe, nor any that are in parallel to the right one. They might call it a duck, but it sure doesn't walk or talk like a duck to me. It's *not* stinking Strider. What it *is*, I don't know, and I'm not entirely convinced that the thing that they've made is a bad *thing*. It might very well be something decently strong.

It's an atrocity to use the Strider name with what that gameplay video shows, though. As I said: there's missing, and then there's *MISSING*. While UG&G might have taken some liberties (greatly helped in the Kai re-release), this thing just nukes the original's gameplay without aforethought, consequences be darned. "We've got an idea!" does *not* translate into "We can 'reimagine' Strider!"

Or, at least, it should not.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I want dialogue amongst people speaking different languages to each other for no apparent reason.

...or I call bullshit.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
boagman

Post by boagman »

GaijinPunch wrote:I want dialogue amongst people speaking different languages to each other for no apparent reason.

...or I call bullshit.
"I got you."