Donpachi (new thread)

Plasmo

Re: Donpachi (new thread)

Post by Plasmo »

Plasmo - 35,284,630 - 2-5 - Max Hit: 85 - Type C

Aguraki's challenge [✔]

Finally reached my goal and got that 5mill capacity bonus on 2-1 thus leading me beyond the 35mill barrier. Unfortunately the first loop wasn't too great (around 22mill) and I was too nervous to clear the game this time. But eventhough my theoretical max would be around 40mill (and that's without the capacity bonus on 2-2, which I haven't even tried for), I'm very much satisfied with this score.

I'd love to record a replay, but my digicam can only make videos up to 35 minutes, while a 2-ALL in Donpachi is more like 50 minutes. :?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Awesome score! You know you're good when you beat the old record by 10 mil. ;)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

Plasmo wrote: Plasmo - 35,284,630 - 2-5 - Max Hit: 85 - Type C

Aguraki's challenge [✔]

<3
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Akrarten 10,620,440 - 2-2 - Max Hit: 63 - Type C
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

Sorry for the delay in updating, everyone. I'm supposed to be getting a notice whenever the thread gets a new message but hadn't seen anything in a few months. Everyone's scores should be updated now, let me know if I've missed anything.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Plasmo wrote:I'd love to record a replay, but my digicam can only make videos up to 35 minutes, while a 2-ALL in Donpachi is more like 50 minutes. :?
Even just a first loop video from you would be great, you're scoring higher on the 1st loop than most people get from both loops. :)
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yes, finally got 1CC and made it up to the 2-3 boss :mrgreen:

Shame that the .inp I recorded doesn't play back properly though :(

drunkninja - 11,742,860 - 2-3 - Max Hit: 67 - Type C
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Actually, here's a better run, with a replay I managed to get on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGIqTa5f4N8

drunkninja - 12,392,670 - 2-3 - Max Hit: 72 - Type C
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Reuploaded that run due to the bad video quality before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2WPseSfnc
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

drunkninja24 wrote:Reuploaded that run due to the bad video quality before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2WPseSfnc
you could use the safe spot for the 5th stage boss at start.
right in the center slightly left bottom of the screen.
nice run.
menoslug

Post by menoslug »

I uploaded my captured movie in youtube which I played donpachi A type 39.88mil in December 2008. (Yes. Very old movie. :D )

I hope to donpachi users are refered by my movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V-zbnbH ... e=youtu.be

Addition : Download link (2013/7/6 ~ 2013/8/5, Only 100 download.)
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

Awesome replay, thank you for posting!
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Thanks Menoslug! Great replay!
coturnixx

Post by coturnixx »

Million thanks for the replay!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I didn't even know that there's a 1mill bonus for each life remaining.

Great stuff menoslug, thanks very much for the video!
I like chocolate milk

Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

you guys are awesome!

this thread is just excellents scores and in between tons of congratulations :D
im happy this game is played.
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

Not much to brag about, but it was very exciting to 1cc the first loop for the first time ever last night. DonPachi is the first shmup I've actually gotten serious with. Feels real good

yatzr - 8,947,640 - 2-2 - max hit: 57 - Type C
Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - 10'959'480 - 2-2 - 66 Max Hit - Type C

Old score
Buttman

Post by Buttman »

Buttman - 12,877,310 - 2-4 - 63 Max Hit - Type C

I wonder how to manage suicide bullets properly during 2nd loop with C-ship because it is very slow.
Is there any 2-all replay with C-type? I couldn't find any.

Btw i've made a video of the score above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Y575dH ... RO9UK2Bv0w
duh?
zlk

Post by zlk »

I have a replay at marp finishing the game with the C ship, but it is the USA version. The thing to remember about the C ship is that all the hiding spots that work for the A ship also work for the C ship. This is useful against the bosses in stage 1-4/2-4/1-5/2-5 and TLB. With the C ship you really need to learn to fire carefully in some areas as blowing up too much will cause lots of problems with the C ship.

There is a mythical 65m replay that BGR-44 made with the C ship. Apparently it is a no miss replay. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to see unless you are one of BGR-44's close friends.

If I have time I will make a safe route video for stage 2-4 and 2-5. I think in my replay I play kind of messy. I already have one for the 2-2 boss and one of the trickier parts of 2-5. Send me a PM and I will send them to you.
yatzr

Post by yatzr »

Got a real board and put it in my blast city. Time for some improvement!
yatzr - 11,101,070 - 2-3 - max hit: 57 - Type C
Buttman

Post by Buttman »

zlk wrote: There is a mythical 65m replay that BGR-44 made with the C ship. Apparently it is a no miss replay.
I 've been toying a little with savestates recently and discovered what the rank looks like when you no miss up to stage 2-2.
Finishing the game without dying sounds INSANE!!
Why are these guys still hiding their skill, especially on such an old game?
duh?
zlk

Post by zlk »

In many shooting games it is pretty obvious what to do to get a very high score. In Donpachi there are some strange things to do to make more ships appear so a player can score higher. There are also some fairly elaborate combos to pull off that require a lot of creativity. Something that only a few people know is that you can score over 50m with the C-ship and not get the capacity bonus past 1-3. My guess is that the top players don't want anyone to know what they did so their techniques can't be copied. Sof-wtn can score around 40m at the end of the 1st loop. How? Who knows. That is just crazy.

If you search some of my older posts you can hear me rant about my efforts about trying to find a WR video. Lots of players are just extremely secretive. One player set the B world record and didn't submit the score to arcadia. BGR-44 has the highest C-ship score and has it on video on a website. Theoretically you can do things on that website that let you see the video. Theoretically you could win the lottery everyday for one year. The video odds and lottery odds are the same. There was another player who beat the arcadia world record with either the a or c ship. He didn't want to be asked by other players about it so he only showed snippets of his videos to close friends and never told anyone his final score. He was so secretive he didn't want anyone to know what he scored. This takes secrecy to a new level.

I am glad menoslug shows his excellent game play. He is "the people's champion" of Donpachi.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I always found the idea of 'hiding' your scoring techniques to be detrimental to the shmup genre as a whole. Really, for the skill of players in general to get better, or even just for the sake of interest in the game/genre staying alive, it's good for scoring techniques to be detailed and publicized. Even really good players might not figure out every optimal method of beating a stage or some trick that offers huge scoring potential, and when everything is known about then new players can build on already known strategies to work for even higher scores.

Obfuscating your scoring strategies just so you can keep your high score just limits the overall knowledge of the game as a whole. It's more interesting to play stuff like RPGs when more in-depth detail about the game mechanics is shared and known, the same applies to shmups.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I'm not specifically great at Donpachi, but the sole reason why I don't upload any replays is because I want to keep up the secretive elitist asshole hype for this game.

And I have discovered some good shit.

Just sayin'
I like chocolate milk

NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

zlk wrote:BGR-44 has the highest C-ship score and has it on video on a website. Theoretically you can do things on that website that let you see the video.
Since BGR-44 admitted to cheating on his Xevious score he seems to have been blacklisted (at least to the 2ch nerds). They think the rest of the videos he posted, like R-Type and DOJ, are also fakes so even if he were to post a Donpachi video he would probably get flack for it.

SOF-WTN said he would be willing to share his videos if someone would help him upload them.
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

NTSC-J wrote: SOF-WTN said he would be willing to share his videos if someone would help him upload them.
What? :o :D

Is someone on the case?
Stan

Post by Stan »

Help to upload...? Is he serious?
If its a full run on DVD, he should send it to Icarus for proper editing and subsequent upload.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Stan wrote:Help to upload...? Is he serious?
If its a full run on DVD, he should send it to Icarus for proper editing and subsequent upload.
oh hell yes. somebody get those two in touch.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Any updates on this? Is anyone in Tokyo willing to help out?