RQ: Imperishable Night - how does scoring work?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
uwfan

RQ: Imperishable Night - how does scoring work?

Post by uwfan »

Post subject: RQ: Imperishable Night - how does scoring work?
landshark

Can anyone tell me how the scoring works in Imperishable Night? What are spell cards and why do I get these random spell card bonuses?

Any other tips welcome? I went through the demo yesterday and ended upw ith a score about 150 million LOWER than the lowest score on the hi-score board so I must be really missing something.

Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:25 am

Eltegantis

Post subject:

You can find quite a bit of info on the scoring systems in this thread. To summarize it:

You have two modes: human mode and phantom mode. Hold the phantom/slowdown button to switch to phantom and release to return to human. Humans can see and attack enemy tsukaima, while phantoms' bodies and shots will pass right through them.

Make frequent breaks for the top of the screen to auto-collect all the items. To auto-collect you need to be at full power, using Marisa, or in phantom mode, so if neither of the former two are true, hold the phantom/slowdown button for a moment once you're up there. The blue point items are worth more the higher on the screen they're collected, and this is the easiest way to get the most out of them.

Collect lots of time to increase the max value of the blue point items. Surviving an enemy spell card attack (when the background changes and some red text appears in the upper right of the playfield) without dying or bombing yields 500 time plus a point bonus. Destroy tsukaima-using enemies while leaving their tsukaima untouched (by using phantom mode) for lots of time points.

Keep the Phantom Ratio gauge (in the lower right) either very high or very low to further increase the value of the blue point items and earn even more time. Shooting and destroying enemies with a given mode will slowly shift it to that end; collecting the time items released when destroying a tsukaima-using enemy in the fashion described above will shift it very quickly. To keep it low/human/blue/to the left, immediately change back to human mode after destroying the tsukaima-using enemy before the time items can home in on you. To keep it high/phantom/red/to the right, be sure to stay in phantom mode until all of the time items have reached you. Destroying enemy tsukaima directly in human mode will move the gauge quickly toward 0%, and dying will drop it all the way to center.

When the gauge is under -80% (human/blue), you'll earn time points for shooting enemies and bosses. When over +80% (phantom/red), you'll earn them for scratching bullets. Either way you'll earn time for killing enemies. In this version of the demo (0.01), you'll want to keep the gauge human/blue during the stage and phantom/red during the boss, but Zun has said he intends to change this for the final version.

I hope this makes things a little bit clearer. Ask if you have any questions.

Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:36 am
system11

Post by system11 »

Just noticed this topic - anyone can feel free to pull the info out of it and paste it in here (I'm lazy) - but my review also contains a lot of information about scoring in the game.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=8186
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org