RQ: Scoring in Reflex

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
kengou

RQ: Scoring in Reflex

Post by kengou »

The Trial version 1.0 is out so I've been playing Reflex again in anticipation of the full game. I'm wondering just how the scoring works, though. I notice little x4 multipliers when you kill an enemy with a reflected bullet, but I don't know anything beyond that. Is there a way to increase your multiplier? Can you use your multiplier to rack up points on popcorn enemies somehow (ESPRaDe, Homura, for example)?

I can't read japanese but maybe information is on Siter Skain's site?
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Kiken

Re: RQ: Scoring in Reflex

Post by Kiken »

kengou wrote:The Trial version 1.0 is out so I've been playing Reflex again in anticipation of the full game. I'm wondering just how the scoring works, though. I notice little x4 multipliers when you kill an enemy with a reflected bullet, but I don't know anything beyond that. Is there a way to increase your multiplier? Can you use your multiplier to rack up points on popcorn enemies somehow (ESPRaDe, Homura, for example)?

I can't read japanese but maybe information is on Siter Skain's site?
The more stuff you reflect and the more enemies killed at a time raise the multiplier (which can be sustained for a short period just by constantly killing stuff.. like in ESPRa.De.). The highest I think I've gotten the multiplier is x64.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

The multiplier lasts as long as it appears on screen. If you would have got another multiplier while one is still active, the multiplier is instead increased, to a maximum of x64 (i believe). Killing enemies causes the multiplier message to appear over them, hence extending the timer.

The easiest way to rack up points is to wait for some enemies with homing attacks to come on screen and hold down the shield button until the shots destroy everything. There are a number of good opportunities for this in stage 1 part 2 and stage 2 part 2.
kengou

Post by kengou »

Ravid wrote:The multiplier lasts as long as it appears on screen. If you would have got another multiplier while one is still active, the multiplier is instead increased, to a maximum of x64 (i believe). Killing enemies causes the multiplier message to appear over them, hence extending the timer.

The easiest way to rack up points is to wait for some enemies with homing attacks to come on screen and hold down the shield button until the shots destroy everything. There are a number of good opportunities for this in stage 1 part 2 and stage 2 part 2.
Thanks, I suspected that and you confirmed it!
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Is there a way to replenish your shield? You're supposed to be constantly using it to reflect the seeking lasers for points right? But what happens when you use up all your shield?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:Is there a way to replenish your shield? You're supposed to be constantly using it to reflect the seeking lasers for points right? But what happens when you use up all your shield?
Don't use it or shoot and it'll recharge. The game is designed so that there are windows in the attacks for you to recharge or shoot.. wouldn't be pretty weird otherwise (oh, wait.. )
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Not-so-fun fact: Using your main weapon to tick-damage enemies gets you points, but reflected shots don't. As such the best way to score on bosses is to tick-damage entirely with shot, only using reflection to finish off the boss and its parts (if any), as demonstrated here (nico account required). It's possible to get up to 10-20k on each boss this way.