D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara to PSN/XBLA

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mortificator

Re: D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara to PSN/XBLA

Post by Mortificator »

The cleric had bless and striking. The elf has a couple too, haste and invisibility.
Hagane wrote:As for stage select, there's no reason why they can't let you pick your items from the available ones in your route. It would be a much better choice than dumbing the game down like you suggested.
Extends or checkpoints would dumb-down a game, being able to warp to wherever you want with whatever gear you want wouldn't. Got it.

Romantic views of the arcade industry aside, developers are typically overworked and underpaid. It would take a lot of playtesting to balance a team game for solo single-credit runs for six disparate characters. If any of the devs suggested they put such effort toward something that could reduce operator revenue, the others would probably throw him out a window.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Skykid, I would also be extremely interested in whether KOV3 is in true HD. Got a PGM mobo and all the important games recently and I'm pissed off every time I can't spend the evening working on my supergun... might take the plunge some day and buy Oriental Legend 2. Game looks amazing.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Mortificator wrote:Extends or checkpoints would dumb-down a game, being able to warp to wherever you want with whatever gear you want wouldn't. Got it.
Hagane wrote:As for added features I'd love to see an extensive practice mode for SOM, but that's probably asking too much from Capcom.
Hagane wrote:If you want to stop people from credit feeding, give no continues and add a practice mode that lets you select the last stage you reached.
Looks like your reading comprehension is up there with your SOM knowledge.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I have both CPS2 boards, and built custom harnesses to allow 4 players. I use a supergun via xrgb3 on my LCD HDTV and both games look great. Life has consigned the majority of my social circle to that snakepit of jobs-family-children, so its a rare treat when I have four willing friends over for this game. But we've always kept to a 3 credit rule, simulating the standard 3 lives of a console game. Even then we've never beat either. We all suck at beat-em-ups and are usually somewhat drunk while playing. I agree that it becomes a pointless experience if you don't limit the credits in some way though... just like most arcade games.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

In the interest of reading comprehension, I will re-quote the quote I was replying to at the top of the page, with two words bolded.
Hagane wrote:As for stage select, there's no reason why they can't let you pick your items from the available ones in your route.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

blackoak wrote:Life has consigned the majority of my social circle to that snakepit of jobs-family-children, so its a rare treat when I have four willing friends over for this game.
Wish I lived closer.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Dang, I'd be down to play some Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow of Mystara, I play the cleric all the time. I used to 1cc it on the regular at the Bearcade (arcade at UC Berkeley) How can we link 2 cabinets together? Maybe we can do it at the SoCal Shmupmeet!
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Frenetic wrote:Maybe we can do it at the SoCal Shmupmeet!
I'm certainly better at brawlers than Mars Matrix. Hell, I'm better at EVERYTHING than mars matrix.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/22/du ... on-bundle/

Japan gets awesome physical release :!:
It begins in deep space warped by evil power
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

moonblood wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/22/du ... on-bundle/

Sweet murphy, that's a great looking set. I might just get the normal import edition anyway, as I didn't know a physical release was going to happen at all. The limited edition does look awesome though.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

moonblood wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/22/du ... on-bundle/

Holy shit fuck. That is the FIRST TIME a video game company has read one of my posts (1st page, post 3) on this forum and taken action in regard to it. Thanks for reading Capcom. Looking forward to this version making that stupid Saturn port (NOW LOADING) well and truly defunct.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CIT

Post by CIT »

Holy shit, that was unexpected! A definite buy, for sure!
BIL

Post by BIL »

FUUUCK! To think I was considering the SS version with its awful load times! My boner is rifling through my wallet as I type! First gaming news that's made me happy in months.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Where are you lads pre ordering this one from?
drauch

Post by drauch »

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Even the non-special (physical) edition is a good amount of cash (4,000yen). I would love to have the special edition of this complete with the arcade-like artwork but it's hard to fork over 10,000 for games that I could get for a fraction of that price. Especially after I just dropped 9,000 on Saidaioujyou. I guess I'm just becoming more of a cheap bastard as the years go on...
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

This is out on Steam right now (later today/tomorrow on XBLA/PSN?). But you might want to wait for the Japanese disc release, because apparently it's a different port that was done by Capcom's internal developers (including the original arcade staff). The retail version is also going to have some new features, like color editing and the option for all 4 people to choose the same character in multiplayer. Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594751

Bizarre.
BIL

Post by BIL »

iconoclast wrote:But you might want to wait for the Japanese disc release, because apparently it's a different port that was done by Capcom's internal developers (including the original arcade staff).
Nice. edit: and I sincerely hope they port a few more! AVP, The Punisher and Armored Warriors please!
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin

Post by Austin »

This should be out for the Wii U today as well. Might have to pick it up, as I can't see myself investing in the Saturn version again anytime soon.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Who is getting this game btw? I want to put together a partayyyyyy...my Xbox Live tag is Frenetic777

Cheers,
F
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I seriously want a physical copy, but $15 is too good to ignore. Maybe I'll import the physical when it's cheaper.

Any PSNers? That's my avenue, PSN: cj_iwakura
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Got it today for ps3. Played an hour with a friend of mine I played it with back in the arcade. My psn account is Zedtheliberator if anyone wants a dwarf to smack some heads.
SHMUP sale page.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

iconoclast wrote:This is out on Steam right now (later today/tomorrow on XBLA/PSN?). But you might want to wait for the Japanese disc release, because apparently it's a different port that was done by Capcom's internal developers (including the original arcade staff). The retail version is also going to have some new features, like color editing and the option for all 4 people to choose the same character in multiplayer. Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594751

Bizarre.
Haha, there will be tons of 4 Magic User teams.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

If someone's planning to 1cc this, I'd like some pointers on how to beat the goddamn black dragon in Tower of Doom. I can only do it by spamming magic with the Elf, but I don't like using that character.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ruldra wrote:If someone's planning to 1cc this
Played it a bit last night and have to admit I'd be impressed with a 1cc. Not saying it isn't possible, but there are so many places where the game just cheeses you. Trust me, I love this game to bits but it is rarely fair in a shmups kind of way. That said, with more players the game becomes remarkably easier. I think a team of 4 could possibly beat it with one credit each, but even that would be really hard.
SHMUP sale page.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

^Nothing that practice and smart play can't beat, I'm sure. I did manage to reach the Shadow Elf fight on a single credit with the Elf. I'm sure I could get farther with the Fighter but I'm stuck at the black dragon.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Post a video when you manage. I'd love to see it...I'm cheering you on here!
SHMUP sale page.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

CMoon wrote:Played it a bit last night and have to admit I'd be impressed with a 1cc. Not saying it isn't possible, but there are so many places where the game just cheeses you. Trust me, I love this game to bits but it is rarely fair in a shmups kind of way.
Zeron has a Fighter 1CC of SoM posted. =) Very impressive stuff!!
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Is it true this game (XBLA port) doesn't recognize fight sticks?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

CptRansom wrote:
CMoon wrote:Played it a bit last night and have to admit I'd be impressed with a 1cc. Not saying it isn't possible, but there are so many places where the game just cheeses you. Trust me, I love this game to bits but it is rarely fair in a shmups kind of way.
Zeron has a Fighter 1CC of SoM posted. =) Very impressive stuff!!
ReplayBurners has quite a few 1CCs of SoM with various classes. Certainly worth watching.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.