New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
5tranger

Re: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by 5tranger »

Fudoh wrote:nice update, thanks !

Could you try the HDF directly connected to a console ? Your VGA switch wouldn't change the polarity, but in theory the HDMI switch could if the HDF just converts the existing polarity...
8) Just tested this combo and it works:
PS3 Slim --> HDFury Gamer --> Vga Switch --> slg3000 (dipswitch 4 on, dipswitch 5 off) --> Dell u2211h Monitor
voona

Post by voona »

Hi Guys,

Received my SLG3000 yesterday

Having issues with it.

With the DIPS set to OFF ON or ON OFF I get no picture from the XBOX360 @ 480p

With the DIPS set to OFF OFF I get what looks to be a flicking 480i like image which is terrible on the eyes.

In both cases the resolution is set to 640x480 in the XBOX 360 dash board.

I am using the in-line power (no power adapter)

Do I have a defective unit?

Cheers

edit: display source is my blast city cabinet CRT, X360 works fine when removing the SLG3000
edit2: looks like someone else in this thread was having the same issue, fagin recommended to cable the +5v to the unit which i will do
bencao74

Re: AW: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by bencao74 »

Hi

It should work with dip on and off on your xbox360. Did you buy directly in my shop? Then just drop me some lines via Arcadeforge contact form or pm.

Cheers
voona

Post by voona »

PM and Arcade Forge message sent.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey, one is enough :) Thanks
lostinblue

Post by lostinblue »

Hi! I have a question and it might seem silly, but... how does the scanline generator solutions appear on the 1024x768 16:9 plasmas?

I'm asking because I tried the option on some emulators and it does look hideous, left me wondering if it's my TV's fault or not.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you want authentic scanlines (sizing/spacing) you need a 480p source signal and HD ready TV sets (with 768 lines of resolution) usually do a particular bad job in upscaling scanlined 480p signals.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Depends what you mean by "it looks hideous".

Moire effect or incorrect resolution meaning more lines that 240?
lostinblue

Post by lostinblue »

fagin wrote:Depends what you mean by "it looks hideous".

Moire effect or incorrect resolution meaning more lines that 240?
Incorrect resolution, some lines appear to take two or more pixel row's (really thick), some only one, or they appear slim nonetheless.

Some other areas, depending on color seem to lack scanlines altogether.

They were 100% scanlines on a snes emulator on xbox, so I'm guessing it was the software fault (or my fault) but it got me thinking.
Fudoh wrote:If you want authentic scanlines (sizing/spacing) you need a 480p source signal and HD ready TV sets (with 768 lines of resolution) usually do a particular bad job in upscaling scanlined 480p signals.
That's what I'm afraid of.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Sorry to reviving this topic, but i have a question about incorporating the SLG in my setup.

I have a dvdo edge and was looking forward to add scanlines because it seems like it produces great results with this particular scaler.

Is there any other option, besides the hdfury, to add the slg to the chain?
I am having a hard time getting a unit for cheap, and the current cost is hard to justify =/.

I want to use the following consoles:
PAL SNES
PAL Mega Drive
PAL Sega Saturn
PAL Dreamcast

Any feedback is apreciated.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are many cheap HDMI > VGA converters available through ebay, Amazon or Monoprice. Quality-wise they're all fine, I'm just not 100% sure that they provide the right sync polarity to feed the SLG3000. I guess you just have to try.

BUT: If you talk about PAL sources, do you mean 50Hz as well ? If you, this means you'll get 576p50 through VGA. The SLG3000 works fine with this, but most TVs (95%+) cannot handle this signal through VGA. They usually just work with VESA timings, e.g. 480p60.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Fudoh wrote:There are many cheap HDMI > VGA converters available through ebay, Amazon or Monoprice. Quality-wise they're all fine, I'm just not 100% sure that they provide the right sync polarity to feed the SLG3000. I guess you just have to try.

BUT: If you talk about PAL sources, do you mean 50Hz as well ? If you, this means you'll get 576p50 through VGA. The SLG3000 works fine with this, but most TVs (95%+) cannot handle this signal through VGA. They usually just work with VESA timings, e.g. 480p60.
Thank you for the feedback.

What amount of lag would those converters add?
What are the image degradation effects, if any, that those converters introduce in the signal?

Yes most of my pal consoles are running on 50Hz.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What amount of lag would those converters add?
What are the image degradation effects, if any, that those converters introduce in the signal?
none & none.
Yes most of my pal consoles are running on 50Hz.
then you're out of luck. Most VGA to HDMI converters don't work with non VESA signals.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

When I route a signal through the SLG3000 it gives the image a distinct orange hue, when you start to add scanlines the image slowly shifts to blue with the intensity of the scanline effect. Kind of crappy if you prefer light scanlines. Is there something wrong with my SLG? It's one of the launch models.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

really ? I have two very early models and never had any problems like that. I've heard similar (image getting darker and scanlines disappearing), but there the SLG was running behind a transcoder, so my guess would be some impure sync (or G) signals. Mine have been running directly behind some Extron RGB interfaces for years now without any hickup...
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Alright, in order to troubleshoot I've set up the simplest chain possible; Dreamcast > VGA box > SLG3000 > Asus monitor. I have a T-SLG for comparison. The highest scanline setting on the SLG has a warmer color than the T-SLG. (The T-SLG functions 100% but doesn't have RBG pots for scanline density)

DIPS 1,2,3 set to ON: Orange hue, adjustable scanlines, color temperature gets 'colder' as the scanline density is increased.

DIP 1 OFF. DIPS 2,3 ON: Green hue, adjustable scanlines, green is less prominent as the scanline density is increased.

DIPS 1,2 OFF. DIP 3 ON: Normal color (?) Cold tinge. Scanline density at maximum, CANNOT be adjusted.

DIPS 1,2,3 OFF: Normal color (?) Warm tinge. Scanline density at maximum, CANNOT be adjusted.

DIP 1 ON. DIP 2 OFF, DIP 3 ON: Red hue, adjustable scanlines, red is less prominent as the scanline density is increased.

DIP 1 ON. DIPS 2, 3 OFF: Red hue (darker than the above), adjustable scanlines, red is less prominent as the scanline density is increased.
Fudoh wrote:I've heard similar (image getting darker and scanlines disappearing), but there the SLG was running behind a transcoder, so my guess would be some impure sync (or G) signals. Mine have been running directly behind some Extron RGB interfaces for years now without any hickup...

lol, if you look back earlier in the thread you'll see it was me with those issues and it had nothing to do with the signal!! I forgot to disable the scanline filter in the PS3 emulators... :P
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

lol, if you look back earlier in the thread you'll see it was me with those issues and it had nothing to do with the signal!!
na, I had an email conversation about the same topic only a few days ago (and with similar effects....)
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Issue solved, I think. One of the pots was oriented opposite the others, I aligned it properly and the issue was greatly improved. I can't tell for certain because the adjustment dial is fraying apart lengthwise at the edges which causes pot misalignments as great as 20%. I've contacted Arcadeforge about a replacement.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Arcadeforge was kind enough to replace the potentiometers since they no longer have any dial replacements for v1 of the SLG, however, there's now another issue :(

The red channel isn't working. Everything has a blue hue and adjusting the first pot (Red) and the the first dip switch (Red) doesn't affect the picture at all. Does anyone have any ideas what I can try to fix this?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I desoldered the first and second pots and switched them; the first channel (Red) now works and the second channel (Green?) shows no change when adjusting the pot or the dip switch so I have to assume that one pot's bad. :cry:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The pots are very fragile and don't always align well. I own two v2 and with time I'm running into more and more problems (getting very hard to turn + unbalanced colors).
I wish there were just more dip-switches in place of the pots, dedicated various levels of 'intensity', like gray/dark/darker/black, or even more steps, maybe 6 steps would be perfect.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
jol

Post by jol »

Hi
I need some advices about slg3000
my propose for now is to use a pc with mame (with some other emulators as well) as a source
with a 4:3 lcd monitor stetted to 640x480

is it possible to have a borderless fullscreen image with correct scanlines?

I'm asking this because normally with mame overlays I have to set for integer stretch with borders

sorry for my english
I hope you understand
Thanks

P.S. HLSL is not an option for me (old hw)
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Im not getting scanlines with the slg3000. I can only adjust brightness. Im connected Source->XRGB-3->SLG->TV.

The machine im trying it on atm. is my NESRGB modded AV Famicom.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Have you tried inverting the polarity ? There are two dip switches for that (last two on the right or left, depending how you look at it of course).
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Xyga wrote:Have you tried inverting the polarity ? There are two dip switches for that (last two on the right or left, depending how you look at it of course).
Thanks. :D i got them turned on. Great. :twisted:

I only have 2 on/off dip switches though. Must be a later design (V2?). I've seen a picture of one with 5. :shock:
pawwa

Post by pawwa »

I've received the SLG3000, however I just noticed that my Japanese Xbox 360 Slim E doesn't have the wide AV connector that could be used to get the VGA output, as it is with other Xbox 360 models.

Is HDMI to VGA converter my only option? Any recommendations? I saw that HDFury is pretty expensive. Also, I guess this will introduce latency?

EDIT: Figured that the audio can be hooked up via the A/V 1/4" connector.,
todosnk

Post by todosnk »

I just received my slg 3000 shipped from Arcadeforge.
I am having an issue with it, when i plug it through DVI-VGA adapter, I get no signal on the tv at all... in fact the slg does not even power on.
I am using this kind of adapter DVI-I that seems to work for some people:
http://www.pixelpiklz.com/index.php/rev ... est-part2/

Graphic card is a Geforce GTX 750 with 2 GB DDR5.

When I plug it though my laptop (laptop only has VGA) it seems to work just fine.
All cables have been tested and working, but through my PC DVI the screen will still show no image at all....

Many thanks for your advices :)
todosnk

Post by todosnk »

Solved!
I changed the GPU card to an MSI one that has VGA ouput and now the SLG3000 Works like a charm.
Just for information, both are Geforce 750 with 2GB DDR5. Exactly the same graphics card, only difference is that the MSI has VGA out while the Gigabyte I had did not have VGA but DVI (so I used a DVI-VGA adapter).

So plugging the SLG3000 directly to the MSI card with VGA Works :)
Hackcell

Post by Hackcell »

Question:

What if I want to use it between a NeoGeo and a 19 inch LCD monitor? Will it generate the scanlines?
Legos, H0 model trains, Pinball and Arcades.

Costa Rica, ¡Pura vida!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you need a 31khz (480p) signal to use the SLG3000.