RQ: Item Appear Sequence and 1-ups in Kyukyoku Tiger

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SAM

RQ: Item Appear Sequence and 1-ups in Kyukyoku Tiger

Post by SAM »

I am currently palying "Kyukyoku Tiger" (a.k.a. Japanese version of Twin Cobra) in Toaplan Shooting Battle 1.

After playing over 200+ games I finally reach stage 3 (Area 64). I notice the power-up is shown up in the following sequence:

1) Powerup
2) Powerup
3) Weapon
4) Bomb
5) back to 2

For Twin Cobra the sequence is:

1) Powerup
2) Powerup
3) Powerup
4) Bomb
5) Weapon
6) back to 3

Anyone can confirm this? If I missed an item carrying enemy, i.e. a big heli, would the sequence skips an item or the item has to be appeared on screen to have the sequence counter move?

I also notice that the game only allow a max of 2 items floating on the screen, and if there is already 2 items floating on the screen and I distory an item carrying enemy, the new item would be lost. Anyone can confirm this?

I seen that some times 1-ups are to be picked up at the two gunboat just before reaching the bridges in stage 2. Anyone know how to make them appear?

I also seen 1-ups in the weight lifter of stage 3, too. But don't know how trigger them to appears. Any clue?
Last edited by SAM on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
chtimi-CLA

Re: RQ: Item Appear Sequence and 1-ups in Kyukyoku Tiger

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i think the items are fixed for each carrier.
about the 1ups, they appear in specific places if you have more than a threshold amount of medals at the time you open the container (about 10), so don't die and you will get it.
there is another 1-up toward the end of stage 4 (around the open/close ground cannons, on the left), and i think in stage5 after the grass, at the beginning of the base. they're also here in loops.
SAM

Post by SAM »

chtimi wrote:i think the items are fixed for each carrier.
THe first 2 items you got after you die is always powerups. Other then that I would keep an eye and see if they are fixed. BTY, if there is any change in the item appearance if you are fully power up?
chtimi wrote:about the 1ups, they appear in specific places if you have more than a threshold amount of medals at the time you open the container (about 10), so don't die and you will get it.
there is another 1-up toward the end of stage 4 (around the open/close ground cannons, on the left), and i think in stage5 after the grass, at the beginning of the base. they're also here in loops.
You are quite right about it, it seems 1up would appear in stead of medals if you got hold of 10 medals in a stage without dying. Will try to miss 1 or 2 medals in stage 2 and see if the apperance of 1up show up 1 to 2 medals later.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bumping this since it's just the topic I've had on my mind while going for the 1-ALL this week.
SAM wrote:BTY, if there is any change in the item appearance if you are fully power up?
Yes. If your shot power or bomb stock are maxed, carriers will no longer release the relevant items. If both are maxed, carriers will only release weapon change icons. These are worth 1,000 points apiece, compared to the others giving 100 points. So for scoring, it's a good idea to max both stats early and keep them that way (you're obviously going to be no-missing if going for score, to get the end-stage medal bonus).