RQ: Gunbird 2

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
tabithaboof

RQ: Gunbird 2

Post by tabithaboof »

I just snagged the PS2 release of this and was looking for a little help with my paltry score of 250 000.

I have heard mentions of technical bonuses but dont know what it is/how much its worth/how to get one.

Also coin chaining seems to have been mentioned a few times although i havent seen anything which seems to indicate a "chain" of coins.

any help MUCH appreciated and sorry if any of this has come up before.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As far as "chaining" coins are concerned, watch the coins as they spin around: for a split second they flash completely white, if you collect them then they'll be worth (IIRC) 2,000 points, plus an extra few points as a bonus. Now, if you can collect the "flashing" coins several times in a row without collecting a "non-flashing" coin, the bonus will increase, and you'll even see the word "Chain!" appear when you do it.

Not sure what you mean by "technical bonuses" though...sure you're not confusing this game with Dragon Blaze?
tabithaboof

Post by tabithaboof »

Wierd, I could have sworn I saw someone mention this on the high score thread but i just ctrl F ed my way through it and i think i must be going mad.

Nice info on the chaining though, does it matter if I miss the odd non flashing coin here and there?
Rob

Post by Rob »

The ways of scoring extra points-

1. Coin chaining - It goes something like 2000, 2000+500, 2000+1000, 2000+2000, 2000+2000, etc. The number is in the top left or right corner.
does it matter if I miss the odd non flashing coin here and there?
Coin bonus value resets, since the chain is broken.

2. Gemheads - The other bonus, secret locations you have to be shooting in the levels to reveal them. You have to continue shooting them to make the gems pop out. I think there's 10 1000pt. gems and a blue 3000pt. gem.

3. Power-up/bomb bonuses - Collect power-ups beyond max power and that's an extra 4000pts. Bombs are much higher, maybe 100000? But that's super hard to do, and can't be done until the loop anyways.

4. Destroy all boss parts/small enemy milking.

Think that's about it.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

tabithaboof wrote: Nice info on the chaining though, does it matter if I miss the odd non flashing coin here and there?
If by "miss" you mean, not collect, then no. You can let coins scroll off the screen without breaking the chain since it's strictly reliant on what you grab. But as Rob stated, should you collect a coin when it isn't flashing (a coin flashes when it has rotated to the point where a "face" of the coin is fully facing the screen), you'll reset the chain.

This sparkling/rotating/glistening bonus item aspect is a reoccuring theme in many Psikyo shmups. Gunbird 2 is one of the few to award an actual chain bonus for continuing to grab them while the bonus items are at max value.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

If you are in Tokyo, you should go down to HEY in Akihabara on the weekends, and see some Gunbird 2 players(among other games) in action. I watched this guy reached 2-7 with Tavia, twice. :shock: Amazing stuff.

Good hunting.
tabithaboof

Post by tabithaboof »

Thanks alot chaps some great information there. Cheers Rob for the score summary, although I think I may have to concentrate on just staying alive for the moment, this game is ROCK hard.

Yeah that is what I meant by "missing" coins, the window to acctually collect them is incredibly small though, I have no clue how you guys managed to reach over 50 chains.

I go to Hey in Akihabara about once a week actually although I dont recal there being a Gunbird 2 machine ther recently, perhaps it go ousted to make room for Mushihimesama/Trizeal/Raiden III etc. There is one in More in Shinjuku though.

The standard of play in Hey! is utterly amazing, I have seen more than a few games turned inside out.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

tabithaboof wrote:I go to Hey in Akihabara about once a week actually although I dont recal there being a Gunbird 2 machine ther recently, perhaps it go ousted to make room for Mushihimesama/Trizeal/Raiden III etc. There is one in More in Shinjuku though.
Say it ain't so. :cry: When I was there a few months back, first it was next to Strikers 1945 II, and Strikers 1999, then it was moved next to Dimahoo by the elevators with Ikaruga and RSG. I hope they got rid of Sol Divide before they got rid of GB2.

I just found my out of Shinjuku station. :wink:
tabithaboof

Post by tabithaboof »

Dimahoo is also gone now, That area is now Ika, RSG and the three garegga games. Gunbird 2 is nowhere to be seen. I think they must have mooved the whole lot of shooters into the other room and back since you were last there. The fact that HEY dont keep track of the high scores in that place is really annoying. Try Amusement Tower do it so I think they should to!
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Just out of curiousity, is Morrigan a selectable character in the Arcade/PS2 version, or is she a Dreamcast exclusive because of Capcom publishing it for that system?
Rob

Post by Rob »

DC only, yes.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

BulletMagnet wrote:As far as "chaining" coins are concerned, watch the coins as they spin around: for a split second they flash completely white, if you collect them then they'll be worth (IIRC) 2,000 points, plus an extra few points as a bonus. Now, if you can collect the "flashing" coins several times in a row without collecting a "non-flashing" coin, the bonus will increase, and you'll even see the word "Chain!" appear when you do it.
Arghhh! I guess I'm a slow learner. I've been playing Gunbird 2 for a long time now, and it has always seemed to me entirely random what points you got when you picked up a coin. Consequently, chaining always seemed so mysterious and random to me. Wish I'd seen this earlier!

So I need to get 2000 point coins consecutively. But it's still unclear to me how to keep a chain going. At least maybe this chaining thing will begin to make sense now.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

professor ganson wrote:But it's still unclear to me how to keep a chain going.
So I need to get 2000 point coins consecutively.
Methinks you pretty much answered your own question, heh heh. ;) As was said above, start a chain by collecting a coin when it's flashing for the max 2000 points; collect your next coin in the same manner while it's flashing, and you'll not only get the 2000 points for it, but also a few bonus points (you'll see the word "chain!" appear if you do it). If you can also collect your next coin after that while it's flashing, the bonus points will be even higher, and so on and so forth it goes; keeping a chain alive is as simple as that (though obviously a good deal harder to do than to say, heh heh).

As was mentioned above, it's important to know that you CAN let coins scroll off the screen without collecting them, and still keep your chain going: it'll only break if you collect a coin when it's not flashing (and, I suppose, when you die). Unlike DDP or the like, there's no "time limit" to keep track of in order to chain, so take your time and make sure to collect the coins at the right moment. Methinks you're making it a bit more complicated for yourself than it needs to be. :)
professor ganson

I guess what was still confusing me was what Rob says here:
Rob wrote:1. Coin chaining - It goes something like 2000, 2000+500, 2000+1000, 2000+2000, 2000+2000, etc. The number is in the top left or right corner.
I'm not sure what Rob is describing here. I suppose he's talking about the bonus points involved in chaining: 0, 500, 1000, 2000, 2000...

Now that I have some idea what chaining is about, it seems that I would be better off not worrying about it. It felt incredibly frustrating trying to catch the coin at just the right moment. I felt all tense and agitated while and after I was doing it. I guess that part of the game wasn't meant for me.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

professor ganson wrote:I guess what was still confusing me was what Rob says here:
Rob wrote:1. Coin chaining - It goes something like 2000, 2000+500, 2000+1000, 2000+2000, 2000+2000, etc. The number is in the top left or right corner.
I'm not sure what Rob is describing here. I suppose he's talking about the bonus points involved in chaining: 0, 500, 1000, 2000, 2000...
Well you always get at least 2k for the coin if it's taken at the right moment, then the points for the chain. So it's 2000+ whatever chain level you're at, maxing out at 4k per coin.
professor ganson

Thanks, cigs. Chaining now completely makes sense to me, and I'm starting to get a little better at it. Finding it less agitating as well.
finisherr

Re: RQ: Gunbird 2

Post by finisherr »

I'm having trouble with the 1-6 boss. I have no idea how to dodge those orange rain patterns. I've tried micrododging and macrododging but nothing seems to work. Can't seem to open up any gaps on this one...
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Found a superplay by GodHand which is pretty cool because I think he uses Aine as well. I'll probably get some tips from that.

Post by 7711 »

finisherr wrote:I've tried micrododging and macrododging but nothing seems to work

What is macrododging ? Avoiding entire patterns ?
Overly obsessed asian girls fanatic.
23/08/2013 : I now swear on my honor (like I have any) never to use a bomb again.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

7711 wrote:
finisherr wrote:I've tried micrododging and macrododging but nothing seems to work

What is macrododging ? Avoiding entire patterns ?
You've got the idea.