Dreamchair: existing franchises in different genres/moulds

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Skykid

Dreamchair: existing franchises in different genres/moulds

Post by Skykid »

So that's existing games or franchises that you would like in a different genre. Detailed explanations are more fun, so be passionate and expressive.

Here are a couple of examples:

Otomedius: Rumble

ImageImage

The shmups are crappy, but the character designs could use a new lease of life. My Otomedius 2D fighting game would have all the gals sporting Dead or Alive physics extending to a marginal buttock quiver, and taut, colourful animation on an Arcsys level, while retaining Mine Yoshizaki's superb design work. They could have supers based around the weaponry in the shmups, along with a host of unique combat styles. In particular, Kokoro Belmont would be bringing hell with her whip, and all the relevant bad guys would comprise the boss roster.

Vic Viper would be a secret playable character who fights in his space suit (face concealed of course) along with guest cameos from Winbee and Twinbee.

The game would be closer to Skullgirls/Arcana Heart than the elaborate nature of Arcsys play styles.

Guwange Adventure

A 2D sidescrolling action platform game across beautiful feudal Japan, where all 3 Guwange characters are available at the start of each stage. You need to choose which character's respective strengths and weaknesses is right for each level. Combat is fast and fluid, true ninja style with double tap dashes, running up cliff faces and darting between vertical chasms. Not dissimilar to Hagane, but tighter all round. Stage design is eventful, full of variety and set pieces, and the sprites are large, solid and have broad range of mix ups and combos. Backgrounds are on Vanillaware levels of beauty with various weather effects. Enormous Guwange style bosses attack with tailored bullet hell routines, amongst others, and the game is scored accordingly with a pumping modern tempo underneath traditional instruments.
Last edited by Skykid on Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

KAI

Re: Dreamchair: existing franchises in different genres/moul

Post by KAI »

I always thought Guwange a la Dynasty Warriors would be a great idea. You know, lots of demons, lots of blood.

Ace Combat The Shmup. enough said.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

KAI wrote:Ace Combat The Shmup. enough said.
Every Strikers game wasn't enough? D:

Anyway, I'll toss out something .. Mushi Futari RTS. Yeah, who doesn't want to see bugs vs. dinosaurs? >_>
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

KAI wrote: Ace Combat The Shmup. enough said.
There was, if you count freeroam shmup as any (the rather shitty Ace Combat Advance), and there's a proper Ace Combat shmup for mobile phones (no, not Japanese mobile phone surprisingly), forgot what's the name (Ace Combat: Northern Lights?). At least I remember it even have its storyline tied with Ace Combat 6's main plot.

To be honest I'd pick Ace Combat fighting game with Gundam Vs cost system and Deadly Skies (no, not that Konami Ace Combat wannabe series) gameplay system instead.

Also, Front Mission with Jagged Alliance/original Syndicate style of gameplay is one of my biggest dream.

update: On the more recent extent, Strike Suit Zero with Homeworld-style gameplay. Don't know if it could work well tho.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Ace Combat Northern Wings. Looks ugly.

Psychic Force 2012 2D fightan.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I wish the upcoming HARDWARE - Shipbreakers would be a Battlefield/PlanetSide-esque tactical FPS title instead of an RTS - or both. Yes, I know of it's Homeworld origins, I just suck at all RTS's not named C&C Generals, and even then I'm not that hot. I mean, I totally love the vehicular designs and stuff they've showed off so far but the gameplay teaser did very little to me :|
CHECKPOINT!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sanvein-style manic explore n' gun with Masahiro Ito's creature and environment designs from the first three Silent Hill games. No exposition whatsoever, just find your way to the big red square at the center of each map while inflicting (and evading) unspeakable yet strangely erotic carnage and trying millions of locked doors.

PLAYER CHARACTER 01 "ABSTRACT DADDY"
AREA 01 "I'LL WAIT AT BAR NEELY'S"

Aaand that's it. Must be hard enough to kill scrubs mercilessly. To be the loading minigame on Konami's next bug-ridden HD collection which they've farmed out to Tiger Electronics.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Sanvein-style manic explore n' gun with Masahiro Ito's creature and environment designs from the first three Silent Hill games. No exposition whatsoever, just find your way to the big red square at the center of each map while inflicting (and evading) unspeakable yet strangely erotic carnage and trying millions of locked doors.
Aw that would be so good. :P

BIL

Post by BIL »

Also some of the locked doors are actually broken and make a subtly different doorknob rattle sound. Image edit: it's your cue to GET AWAY FROM TEH DOOR because

Each room is hexagonal, with:

-one unlocked exit (desperation escape but NO ROOM POINTS FOR CHICKENS, SHAMEFUL)
-one locked exit (opens upon room clear, no effect if tried beforehand but u look like a bitch :[ )
-two are barred (TIME PENALTY for trying but if TIMER GOES NEGATIVE and you somehow survive = BIG BOUNS so not entirely useless).
-two are broken (RANK UP MOTHERFUCKER for trying, but also MORE POINTS POSSIBLE IF CREATURES ARE SUPER NUMEROUS & RANDY, Negative Time + Horny Monsters ALL = Superplay DVD).

Clear room to reveal the two escapes! Memorise map to reveal other shit! Play "UNSAFE" mode for random everything! Now to email Konami, they'll outsource to any asshole these days!
Last edited by BIL on Fri May 31, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

i'll go for obvious ideas:
- im@s fighting game
- beatmania IIDX RPG
- Ikaruga Tactics
- Raiden themed Daisenryaku
- Dodonpachi (DOJ) themed Daisenryaku
- Milestone themed "Game Tengoku"
KY
KAI

Post by KAI »

- beatmania IIDX Visual Novel
- Milestone themed H-game
BIL

Post by BIL »

KAI wrote:- Milestone themed H-game
I'm really surprised and mildly disappointed that they didn't crank out one of these before they all got locked up in Sing Sing.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

- Deathsmilesvania (very obvious)

- Muchi Muchi Pork Visual Novel

- A RTS using Ibara designs.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I'd love to see a Mass Effect RTS
...or shmup for that matter, piloting the Normandy against waves and waves of geth ships.

A Futurama 2D fighting game, with Robo-Nixon as the final boss... done right it could be funny as hell and fun.
CIT

Post by CIT »

A Samurai Shodown RPG
A Castlevaia fighting game
A shoot 'em up with Neo Geo Heroes
A beach valleyball game with the girls from Dead or Alive

...oh wait.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

RoninBuddha wrote:i'll go for obvious ideas:
- im@s fighting game
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/79870

:mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Nectaris/Military Madness done in Battlefield/Star Wars Battlefront style.

update: or done in Battlezone (1998 version) FPS+tactics style
AweOfShe

Post by AweOfShe »

Liberation Maiden: Sin, NOT being a VN. :lol:

Mushihimesama Bug Panic, with 2D-Zelda style progression (find items/power-ups to solve puzzles or pass barriers, better level design, etc).

I also second the Deathsmiles Castlevania thing. They already have magical weapons on them, so finding better versions/gear as well as different types of magic attacks and such, while exploring some of the cool locales of Gilverado would be pretty cool.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

AweOfShe wrote: I also second the Deathsmiles Castlevania thing. They already have magical weapons on them, so finding better versions/gear as well as different types of magic attacks and such, while exploring some of the cool locales of Gilverado would be pretty cool.
I can really dig this one. There does seem to be a lot of untapped potential in Gilverado, and DS does have a uniqueness that separates its gothicness rather nicely from the Dracula series, meaning it would have its own flavour. The dead forest stage would be quite awesome to platform through, as long as there's plenty of imagination in there, and it would be cool to see some new unexplored parts of the map.

I think the train would be an awesome stage, assuming you get to hack away at undead passengers on the inside of candlelit carriages as the scenery races by outside.

Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

How about Disgaea as an action RPG? The SRPG ones are fun (if grindy) but there would be a lot of potential for an isometric action RPG.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

A Vanquish run and gun that plays exactly like Hard Corps: Uprising would be great.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

The last boss fight in vanquish always gives me huge Virtual-On vibes. Specifically reminds me of a certain matchup: sam/temjin(cover art guy/balanced with basic shot and grenades) vs zaitsev/cypher(air superiority, laser, homing lasers, spread shot) in a transforming arena with very similar design and high speed cover usage like VO maps. Grenades on wakeup happen to be zaitsev's weakness just as they are cyphers(in limiting options).

Certainly mikami must have had something from VO in mind with the dashing mechanics and whatnot, something in the last fight might just be a reference(likely the arena if anything).

I guess from that: a vanquish PVP game as a modern virtual-on game with characters that fill more archetypes(missile, melee, heavy laser, ground mobility, etc..). I suppose it could work as a third person shooter but some kind of quick turn/lock-on would be needed to keep it fast(at least on consoles). Instantly hitting gunshots wouldn't really work but zaitsev's spreadshot is a good example. Certainly going to remain a dream though :lol:
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

A Pocky and Rocky game that plays exactly like the first SNES Ganbare Goemon game... :)

Megaman as an overhead run n' gun-with all it's core elements intact. :mrgreen:

Strider Hiryu- the FREAKIN' SHMUP! 8)

Metroid- Original Legend of Zelda style :wink:

Fantasy Zone: Suger Riot- a crazy-fast paced beat-em up with whacko visuals and as many as 12 enemies on screen at a time, and spawners/shops are still an element, just insane choatic fun beat downs- running on an overclocked Sega-16 board. :D

Legacy of The Wizard- Nes Section Z style! :idea:

Battletoads as a metrovania type game- have fun bitches :twisted:
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Castlevania style game with the Sengoku Blade characters.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BrianC wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Castlevania style game with the Sengoku Blade characters.
I wouldn't mind seeing Koyori in anything. :D

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

CIT

Post by CIT »

Skykid wrote:
BrianC wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Castlevania style game with the Sengoku Blade characters.

Sengoku Ace Beach Volleyball!!!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

CIT wrote:
Skykid wrote:

Sengoku Ace Beach Volleyball!!!
Oh hell yes.