GD: Genocide Circuit 2 scoring discussion

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
captain ahar

GD: Genocide Circuit 2 scoring discussion

Post by captain ahar »

firstly yes i am serious. this game is like a slightly imbalanced raizing manic (including blast damage ^_^).

i found this game on my computer recently, and am certain that there is a lot of scoring depth i'm missing.

1) at what scores do you receive extends? does the famous "suicide" play into strategy?

2) the blue spheres (called blue now), how exactly do they fit into score? even when collecting all that appear they end of freezing in "value." is this at all tied to enemy destruction?

3) when the boss is defeated, what do the scores represent? theres a couple so it kind of throws off my assumptions.

4) does weapon selection (or power) have any effect on blue release?

5) does meeting the standard to change the background effect your score? how? what are the conditions that fill the meter (purely for score i assure you :wink:)

6) was this an officially released game, or just freeware. while i haven't cleared the game, i have seen most of levels. there are some options missing though which is just plain confusing.

7) is there any way i can watch the recorded playback in realtime? it speeds up to about 2x normal speed, which while awesome when i handle a boss well, is a pain in the ass when trying to figure out how things work.

and i'd be curious to know what better raizing players have to say about this game.

i realize this is quite the oddball game, but i appreciate any help you can provide. thanks everyone.

... yes. i'm serious.

<changed RQ to GD -inc.>
Last edited by captain ahar on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Ah, so there's another 'serious' Genocide Circuit 2 player after me. What I've noticed so far is:

2. They have a value equal to the number of kills at first, and the same x10
after you make the background change for the first time.

3. I think the first one is the number of kills*100.

4. I don't think so. Though only red enemies drop them.

5. Apart from (2), I don't know. And who are you trying to fool, anyway :wink: ?

I do know how to milk the second boss to get the third 'change', though :wink:
Last edited by Tar-Palantir on Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

thanks tar palantir.

do you know how the replays work? can they be swapped out for others? perhaps i might be able to learn something from your playthrough...
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Sorry, don't know much about the replays. But I don't have anything which you could call respectable yet :oops: ...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

actually another question, some enemies, when destroyed have their segments labeled with 1+...

any theories?

and to tell you the truth, i could probably find out, but i have to play with a keyboard, so my performance is, to say the least, uneven. when i finally get a controller, i'll be looking to delve more into it.

i think my best (normal) is getting towards the end of the 3rd stage boss, but that was a long time ago (at least a year).
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I think I figured out how to trigger the stage 1 1up (assuming there's one in every stage...) if you blow off the whole left arm and then just the three-way cannon portion of the right arm of the boss, and then hang around at the left side of the screen (it might have something to do with the elapsed time), a 'SPECIAL BONUS' lights up behind the boss and the 1up falls down.

The extra +1s might just be that. I've only seen them in stage 1.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i played it quite a bit last night and have some more thoughts on the system. will post them later today.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

would anyone care if i went deeper into gameplay details with this game? i like it an awful lot, and it is niche enough that it doesn't seem like its been handled before (at least in english). just wondering if some deeper analysis will be worth the time to type out...

thanks
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I would :) I can also post my strategies for the first two bosses if you want 'em.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

great i'll get working on that. it will be nice to contribute something "useful." right now, while trying to score well, i'm still getting stuck at stage 3 boss.

i bought one of these
cheap piece of crap, but its better than keyboard, so my playing is becmoing far more consistent (actually dodging fire, milking bosses for destroy count, scoring with medals, etc).

i'm not sure what my current high is, but i'll work on it tonight a bit to see what i can get.

also note: first boss, you only need to destroy the forearms to get extend (i think). also, leaving both "wheel lasers" intact opens up much opportunity for milking at the missile fire they (or just one) will eventually get into (as each missile counts as +1 to your destroy meter).

thanks for the interest Tar, maybe some other people will get interested?

well, one can hope... it really is a good game. and for those hesitant because of the hentai, you can turn it off in the options.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Stage 1 boss, and getting Complete with him:

To be able to get Complete (i.e. 400 kils) you need to have your third weapon (the side shot) powered up at least one level, but if you've cleared 200 already (or died once) it shouldn't be a problem. Destroying the arms of the boss goes in three stages, with accompanying attacks:

i) Two (left)- or three-(right) bullet cannons.
ii) Very nasty spiral shots.
iii) Lots of missiles (which don't bump up your kill count).

At iii), the boss body starts to use three bullet attacks:
a) A small burst of shots
b) A single (or double) arc of small bullets, quite fast
c) Two arcs of bigger bullets. The first one homes in on you (and thus
can be pointed away from you)

Blowing up segment i) of the right arm, and waiting for a while gives you the 'Secret Bonus' - a 1-up. Blowing up segment i) of the left arm makes the stub fire out missiles (which do add to your kill count). Using the spread shot (and for each time I've done it) and a judicious bomb, while avoiding the fire from the right arm can help you get 400 kills, or something near enough to get it by blowing off the rest of the arms. If you do make it past 400 before the boss dies, the blue crystals are worth kill count * 100.

There are two bars above the boss- the top one is the boss' life, but I haven't figured out bar 2.

Getting Complete with Son of Bazzcok (Stage 2 boss):

I call him Son of Bazzcok (SoB) because his first attack and form are somewhat similar to Bazzcok. The main 'body' of the boss is the big flying wing; the red prow and cannon (later arms) can be shot off, with the latter regenerating each time (and therein lies the way to get Complete).

The cannon are just like Bazzcok's but seem to have more hitpoints. They just have to be endured until they come off (I like to fly behind him if possible). Once they do, the jointed arms come out. Each is destructible (and respawns), being worth +7 or +9 each time you blow them up. the left one first short bursts of yellow bullets which come with a sweep of the arm, the right one blue bullets. Blowing up an arm results in a spray of blue bullets. SoB will occasionally fire a bunch of missiles from its rear.

When the prow is destroyed, the boss starts to fire several arcs of yellow and purple bullets (typically two of each at the same time). If you hang around two long, and your rank gets high, he starts to shoot arcs of green shots like the stage 1 boss' cannons did, and the arcs slightly overlap (if you have seen Tripod Sardine-D's attack after the head comes off, the shape of the arcs is the same).

Getting a Complete with SoB is faster, as you can (relatively) easily meet him with nearly 300 or so kills, whereas you typically have 200-220 kills when you start the fight with the Stage 1 boss.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I just found a replay file from the Internet which shows you how to get Complete more quickly.The gist of it is that just after the waves of the red missile-shaped enemies (after the multisegmented red ones), the orb before the two power-up carriers lets out a lot of destructible projectiles. The guy in the replay entered the boss with 297 kills!

I also managed to break 1M in stage 1 :shock:. If you can get Complete before the boss dies, milking the crystals the boss drops when you blow up the missiles goes a very long way.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

a replay file for the game or a recorded movie? have you figured out how to handle replays in game? and can i see it?

... and sorry about not contributing much in the way of strategy. :oops: haven't had much time to play the game and think about it...
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

The gc2rep.ctr file is the replay, but this one still plays as fast as the others. Send me a PM/email for the replay :)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

and so i am clear, at this point in your play experience achieving a "complete" is heavily based on boss milking?

have you figured out how bombs are distributed? you get one when you lose your second to last life, but are they awarded at some specific score interval as well? i always seem to have more bombs in stock than i am expecting...
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

You have 3 bombs per life, but I'm not sure how bomb distribution exactly works. There's one which is always given near the start of level 2 by the right power-up ship, but none in stage 1 (except if you die twice :(, or only at the boss).

As for boss milking to get a 'complete', I don't think it's always necessary. In stage two, if you get through the wave of red enemies before the boss (after 200 kills) real quick, you get three box-ish enemies which fire out a volley of missiles (like the stage 1 boss). If you've saved a bomb (I normally lose a life before coming to stage 2, so I have 4 in stock), you can get a Complete before SoB, or with the first two arms or so. The trouble is he doesn't drop any blue crystals. Milking the stage 1 boss to some extent seems necessary.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

well, bombs seem to work like so:

start with three at default, and you are given a set amount at the completion of a level.

i can now reliably get the complete on level 1, thanks to your help. my game still goes pear shaped in level 2 though. currently trying to work out a plan of attack on stage 2. and the scene changes in go>2H.E.L.L. make me feel like an awful, awful person for liking this game.

found out a few little details too.
-in a boss fight, the top meter is the bosses energy, the second is a timer. it creeps towards max, at which point the boss will go crazy, throw out a few extra attacks, and eventually withdraw. clearly, they were aware of how insane score milking could get.
-also, not sure what level they start at, but eventually you run into rotating laser wheels. not sure about the larger ones, but the smaller can be destroyed (new to me anyway). center yourself on the axis and continue firing (i was using the side shot at the time, not sure if it matters). when they explode you get a dozen or so of the +1 bonuses.

my current best on stage 1 hovers around 1.4 mil with a destroy count of 555. i entered the boss with around 198. i did my normal suicide so i could power up a bit more, and then died again on the boss (for some reason). there is definite room for imrovement as well, with more careful use of weapon (i.e. trying not to damage the main body too much). i spent so much time destroying the little missiles to raise my 'destroy' count, i didn't get much of a chance to milk the red missiles for gems.

also, i haven't isolated what did it yet, but i've found a few more extends (1 in level 2, and more in the later levels, but i was playing it on easy, so don't know if the extends are tied up in that, and thus, are not in normal).

anyway, great fun. hopefully i've found something new interesting. :D
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

555 on stage 1! :shock: :shock: ! How did you have the patience to do that, missiles and everything? I can max out ant 430-odd with all the missiles going..but with 196 entering the boss...:shock: I always have a tendency to choke there. Anyway, good work, to say the least :D

Where are the extends you get on stage 2? I find it easier to milk as SoB is a much more civilised boss in a few ways (I also hum 'Chop U!' whenever I face him). The lasers are the only really hairy thing about him. Keeping the prow on is important. As for the stage, I generally keep side shot on throughout, and bomb twice (for those waves of enemies coming in Xes).
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i figure as fruitless as it may be, i'm going to try and compile the things we've learned about the game into one definitive collection on the first post.

stay tuned, or not as seems to be the usual.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I've noticed that bombing and simply shooting into thin air do not increase your rank, and that dying (predictably) decreases rank.
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Not to butt into the strat discussion on the game, but I finally found a version of it, but it has tons of glitches and slowdown and all sorts of weirdness. Is this normal? I like it (Raizing fan, here) and want to score attack it and such, but is there a more "complete" version out there?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

glitches and slowdown? could you elaborate?

personally, the only performance "problem" i've had with the game, is the one buit into it. and that is the configurable "full speed" or "wait-on" option.
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

The game has odd places where it slows down like crazy, mainly at the high score table or when a boss dies. It also shows the wrong tiles for some of the enemies shot sprites and almost all explosions are glitchy tiles.

I'm assuming we DO have differing version, though, since mine has no wait option. I only have flip mode (actually don't know what difference this made in the game), turning the hentai background off, sound (no music, anyway, just SFX) and a joystick option that doesn't change no matter what I do (but I can use my controller).

I had to dig google quite a bit to find a zip of the game anyway, so I'm not surprised that it's apparently an older version.
Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

I've pretty much figured out MOST of the basic scoring techniques of this game. It's truely a downright godly force to be reckoned with. I've managed to get complete on all but two of the levels. This of course is stage 3 and the final stage.
Stage 1 is to be honest, JUST AS hard to get a full complete on as stage 3, but hard in a different way.
damn shame I don't know where to begin making screenshots for this game though. I'll try my best to explain it.

Enemy names (description):
powerup ship (large orange ship very little firepower. gives 1 or 2 powerups depending on position and number on screen.)
tri-sphere (orange sphere with three boxes on them pattern varies depending on level.)
quad boxes (4 grey cubes connected to a central cube in the middle. move in a swaying fashion up or down the screen.)
double boxes (2 grey boxes put next to each other. move in straight line clusters in most any direction.very weak cannon fodder.)
arch cannons (two orange cannons with an orange arch between them. tend to fall then bounce up and go left or right off the screen)
quad cannon (four spheres with rounded cannons that fire four spheres in an arc to reach the front of it.)
sphere blocker (a standard orange sphere with four small spheres in front of it. hold formation for a few seconds then fire a 3-way spread before flying off to the top left or top right. counts for five destroyed enemies)
single cannon moves slowly and aims at a 20 or so degree angle to aim at your ship as it moves slowly down the screen. slow line shots with fair rapid fire rate.)
black card (black sphere that launches a spray of grey cards to it's left and right. very weak itself, but the cards are fairly annoying to destroy as they move fast and have decent health. only time I've seen this enemy in the game.)

Stage 1 basic rundown for COMPLETE:
START SET- First, no brainer, destroy the powerup ship and collect them for the FRONT shot.
BIG TIP: The side shot will NOT be useful during the level itself, but WILL however be especially useful for getting the ammount necessary for COMPLETE on the boss.
SET 1 -After collecting that, quickly take out the rows of tri-spheres. For this part, you'll see the trispheres on the right, then destroy the line to the left. another line appears, and destroy the line by moving to the right.
BIG TIP: you'll want to take each enemy set out as fast as possible in order to get the three extra enemy sets at the end of the stage. in short, stay close to the top of the screen and just tap the living hell out of the shot button.
SET 2-Once those are gone, quad boxes will fall from the right. take them out fast and move to the left to destroy the ones coming down there.
SET 3 -This next set will be tricky. sets of double boxes will come up the screen in a line as two sets of quad boxes fall from both sides at the top.
BIG TIP: here, when the first double boxes of the lines reach the top of the screen, use a bomb. repeat this step when the next set of double boxes reaches the bottom of the screen. doing this guarantees the first extra enemy set near the end of the stage.
SET 4 -Next is a set of dual cannons. the first part of this set will more than likely be destroyed by the bomb. if not, two or three appear on the far right of the screen to be destroyed, then move left to intercept the next set of three. next a line of 5 will appear on the far right that should be destroyed by moving left and down a tad to dodge their spray, then up once you stop. A set of five in the spot you stop at will come down to be destroyed in the same manner.
EXTRA SET 1: get by defeating set 3 fast -Next a single quad cannon flies down. destroy it fast to and move right to intercept 3 sphere blockers and destroy before they can fire their 3-way spread. another set of 3 come from the left side. Then, a set of 2 from the right, and a set of 2 from the left.
EXTRA SET 2: get by defeating 75% of extra set 1 -A large line of single cannons across the screen come down. if defeated fast a second line comes down.
EXTRA SET 3: get for defeating extra set 2 fast -a black card will come to the middle of the screen, then 2 power up ships behind it. move to the left or right and destroy a powerup ship and as many cards as possible. when the black card stops launching cards, destroy it before it can fire it's line shot spread. destroy the second powerup ship. these will give one powerup each. collect them for the SIDE shot.

after that, follow the boss guide Tar-Palantir made and you should get the necessary ammount of enemies for a COMPLETE.
BIG TIP: milk the living hell out of the medals that come from the boss's orange missiles. do this as long as possible to get extra lives, but not so long that the spray of small bullets start.
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

There is also a 'secret bonus' for the stage 3 boss. This one gives you an extra bomb and a 1-up. It seems to appear after it puts out its 'tentacles'... as in the stage 3 boss, you merely have to wait after that to get the bonus.
beam

Post by beam »

hikarutilmitt wrote:The game has odd places where it slows down like crazy, mainly at the high score table or when a boss dies. It also shows the wrong tiles for some of the enemies shot sprites and almost all explosions are glitchy tiles.

I'm assuming we DO have differing version, though, since mine has no wait option. I only have flip mode (actually don't know what difference this made in the game), turning the hentai background off, sound (no music, anyway, just SFX) and a joystick option that doesn't change no matter what I do (but I can use my controller).

I had to dig google quite a bit to find a zip of the game anyway, so I'm not surprised that it's apparently an older version.
I've got this version which is linked from shootthecore. This is an old one from 2001/07/10.

The review there mention a music track and theré's none in this old version, there's no wait option either.
It has been updated at least until the 2002/05/15.
Moreover the dev as blog which, apart from telling people to go to hell, has no mention of his previous works :?

I would be glad if someone could upload a more complete version, not one full of weird slowdowns (on the score table :shock:) and with the original background music. I bet i'm not the only one craving for some raizing tinted gameplay :).
beam

Post by beam »

up !

According to archive.org it seems the last version came on 2002/05/19.
Does anyone play this game ?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i can try to check my version when i get home, no promises when i'll have internet access to post you an update though, although considering i have been the topic of the above quote i think it is safe to say i may have a newer version than shootthecore.

capt
beam

Post by beam »