Using Dangun EPROMS on a Fever S.O.S PCB

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
undamned

Using Dangun EPROMS on a Fever S.O.S PCB

Post by undamned »

Sheep's site says that Dangun EPROMS don't have protection so they should work on a Fever S.O.S PCB. I just wanted to verify that this is true, as I just tried it last night, in case anybody was thinking of doing this.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

So you are saying it did indeed work?

Interesting, as at one point I thought S.O.S. ver was more rare and higher value than Dangun, but now that doesn't seem the case.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Dave_K. wrote:So you are saying it did indeed work?
Yes, it works.

S.O.S. is more rare, but, I don't know what it is, but I think I've had 3 in hand, over time, and every single one had shoddy soldering repairs. Every one. I'm wondering why this is. Maybe Cave outsourced the production of their International boards. They are surely legit boards, as the game data chips are official Cave chips, but the assembly work is horrible. I resoldered 90% of the last one I sold, just to be sure I wasn't selling sketchy hardware.
-ud
rtw

Re: Using Dangun EPROMS on a Fever S.O.S PCB

Post by rtw »

undamned wrote:Sheep's site says that Dangun EPROMS don't have protection so they should work on a Fever S.O.S PCB. I just wanted to verify that this is true, as I just tried it last night, in case anybody was thinking of doing this.
-ud
Actually Fever SOS is protected. It checks for a certain bit being set in the EEPROM on the PCB. If it's not there it resets. I sent the code to a very talented programmer and he removed the protection. This is the code which is on The Sheep's page.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
undamned

Post by undamned »

Uh, I wasn't contradicting that.
:?:
-ud
rtw

Post by rtw »

undamned wrote:Uh, I wasn't contradicting that.
:?:
-ud
My bad, I wrongly assumed you were doing a Feveron to S.O.S and if that was the case I just wanted to emphasize that if you want to convert your Dangun Feveron to Fever S.O.S you have to use the ROM's on The Sheep's page and not the set supported by MAME.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work