Mushihimesama Arrange: 360 vs PS2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ptoing

Mushihimesama Arrange: 360 vs PS2

Post by ptoing »

So, first time I gave the Arrange mode in the 360 port a go I thought it was the same as the PS2 port, but after some closer inspection this is not the case.

The 2 things I noticed in the 360 version is that you start with a +300000 multiplier on the 1st stage and that autobomb uses all bombs in stock.

Does anyone know any other ways in which it differs from the PS2 Arrange?

Unrelated: I have a feeling those big spiders in stage 5 are quoting the spidermecha things in stage 5 of DOJ. Neat stuff.
Terramax

Re: Mushihimesama Arrange: 360 vs PS2

Post by Terramax »

ptoing wrote:...and that autobomb uses all bombs in stock.
I suspect I'm being a numpty in asking this, but do you mean as in, get hit once, ALL your bombs disappear? In other words, you get one get out of jail card, and then the next touch is an immediate death?

If so, wow!

I'm intrigued to know what the differences are. I've just, FINALLY, managed to get my copy on the LE PS2 version, and I'm loving it. The years of wait was worth it. I'm looking to pick up a Japanese 360 very shortly, and I'll defo be getting the 360 version. Can't wait!
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Yes, in the 360 arrange, when you get hit, all your bombs go poo. Just like on your last live in Akai Katana Shin.

I think the same goes for Mushihimesama 1.5 Max modes, where you only always start with one bomb in stock on a new life anyway. But I think if you get another bomb and then have more than 2, autobomb gets rid of them all.

I actually quite like this I have to say, it makes the autobomb a lot less of a noob safety device and forces you to learn to assess the danger of being about to be hit more.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

But you're not crap at shmups like I am! ; ;

Thanks for clearing that up.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Aw come on, I am not super great at shmups by a long stretch. I 1-ALLd and 1CC'd a couple of Cave and other shmups, but none of the really hard ones so far (1ALL: DDP, DDP DFK, 1CC: Mushi Futari BL Original, Mushi 1.5 Original as far as Cave games go, pretty close to a Mushi Original clear tho, then it is on to Maniac!)

Just keep at it, practise, practise, practise and you will get there.

A very easy game to 1ALL is Batsugun Special version, btw.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Been a while since I played either, but a big difference is the counter in X360 carrying over from stage to stage to some extent. So when you die, it hurts your entire run instead of just that particular stage.

Basically, the 360 mode is a much less forgiving version of the PS2 Arrange Mode.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Ah yeah, I think the counter halves when you go to a new stage.
I wonder why they did the +300k start counter tho. Perhaps to offset it being overall more unforgiving, haha.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

It might have been to make stage 1 worth a shit. I seem to remember it contributing roughly 0% of my score in the PS2 Arrange.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

generally speaking the average scores of 360 arrange are much higher than PS2 arrange

another difference from PS2 iirc is that when you defeat a boss, the parent counter you had on it carries over to the next stage (the stage counter gets reset to 0 the moment you enter boss battle)

its also a good training for the other maniac modes for parent/child counter managing
leodash

Post by leodash »

Sorry for bringing up old post. Just want to point out the Steam version Arrange mode (or maybe all modes?) follows Xbox 360 version.

I was emulating Mushihimesama on PCSX2 and then I noticed I didn't use up all bombs after getting hit. I thought it was incorrect emulation. Opened up Steam version to confirm and indeed they are different. Searched online and found this thread.

Another difference is the formation items. In PS2, the formation items follows whatever formation you currently have, but in Steam/360 the formation items follows the normal mode location.

There is also a gallery in PS2.