What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
gbaplayer

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by gbaplayer »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:
gbaplayer wrote: in the meantime i finished 24 other great pc engine rpgs over the last 10 months^^

01. Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (14 hours)
02. Startling Odyssey 2 (24 hours)
03. Legend of Xanadu II (10 hours)
04. Emerald Dragon (26 hours)
05. Tengai Makyou I: Ziria (28 hours)
06. Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru (52 hours)
07. Tenshi no Uta 1 (15 hours)
08. Dragon Knight 2 (10 hours)
09. Neo Metal Fantasy (22 hours)
10. Tenshi no Uta 2 (15 hours)
11. Xak I+II (9 hours)
12. Star Breaker (26 hours)
13. Alshark (30 hours)
14. Cosmic Fantasy 1 (16 hours)
15. Cosmic Fantasy 2 (17 hours)
16. Cosmic Fantasy 3 (13 hours)
17. Basted (3 hours)
18. Tengai Makyou: Fuun Kabuki Den (27 hours)
19. Cosmic Fantasy 4 Chapter 1 (15 hours)
20. Cosmic Fantasy 4 Chapter 2 (14 hours)
21. Ruin: Kami no Isan (6 hours)
22. Princess Minerva (22 hours)
23. Dragon Knight III (13 hours)
24. Anearth Fantasy Stories (20 hours)
No Linda Cube?
is that game good?

right now iam playing through gulliver boy.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Starting to get frequently to stage 6 of Alien vs. Predator. Not trying to replicate everything I see in Avspadmirer's videos and taking a more conservative, weapon based approach is giving me good results. Stage 5 is much much easier than 4 because it only has human enemies, and they all drop weapons that tear them apart. Stage 5 boss always takes a life away from me. I'll try to get the grenade xx rising tackle speedkill strategy down so I can get to stage 6 with 2 lives.

Stage 6 also isn't that hard at first due to the abundance of human enemies and weapons, but once the aliens return things get tricky again. This game is challenging even on bonus stages! If you fail the stage 6 bonus stage you lose half your life. I hope to get to stage 7 soon.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Halo CE [PC].
I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. Runs fine on my netbook, so I can just go play some Halo wherever I want [as long as I carry a mouse, playing an FPS on a trackpad is a nightmare].
Multiplayer of course.

And the Halo 1 pistol is amazing.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

null1024 wrote:And the Halo 1 pistol is amazing.
I had a friend who could consistently head-shot everybody he played against. Even when we would play with a fairly big group, he almost always came out on top because he could just drop us all like flies.

Good times :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
system11

Post by system11 »

I just played the trial of the Double Dragon II remake on XBLA.

It's one of the worst scrolling brawlers I can remember playing, ever.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I tried out the demo for Injustice Gods Among Us. I didn't like it. I thought the backgrounds looked nice though.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

system11 wrote:I just played the trial of the Double Dragon II remake on XBLA.

Scrolling...3D...fighting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPoD0VcVfK8

at 0:07 (big guy with wifebeater, chains, and red sweatpants) - I could swear that's some Capcom character, like a mashup of Final Fight's Hugo and Darkstalker characters like Donovan and even Victor. The last guy looks like some Fatal Fury / Garou character, almost. Pretty generic stuff by now unfortunately. AHA! And they sound girly when they get hit. Do we know who did the art? (Developer is named "Gravity," I didn't come across a big version of the title screen on the XBLA official page which lists that info.)

People love this game!! People like this guy:
I actually like to imagine that both brothers dated her simultaneously – I mean, they are the Double Dragons, right? Surely they do everything together.
Yeah no. As my Steam profile says: "Thou shalt love your brothers...just not threeway style."
Fast forward to Co-Optimus' recent piece:
As it turns out, the delay occurred because Gravity was hard at work polishing their game. This entailed adding some extra areas to Wander of the Dragon’s story mode as well as fine-tuning its combat mechanics. And of course, the title still had to go through Microsoft’s challenging Xbox Live certification process.
HAHA! Apparently neither the game nor the writer got better in all that time.

Gonna download it to mah bocks and give it a spin though. Man, Neon sounds cool now. It's too bad this game is atrocious because some of the stuff looks pretty neat actually.
CoolgyFurlough

Post by CoolgyFurlough »

I just bought the humble mobile bundle, and must say that I am quite enjoying it. I'm glad to finally have Plants vs Zombies on my tablet, as it plays wonderfully on it. Also even though I hate arcade games on touch devices, I'm glad it came with Raiden Legacy (which Raiden I is completely ruined with touch controls btw) and Metal Slug 3, because they are emulated, and that means I technically own the roms. :D

So I took this as my cue to finally play Metal Slug 3 on MAME, and HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AWESOME. It does have a bit more memorization elements than I usually like, but it totally makes up for it with fluid gameplay and so much style. I almost want to marathon play this game to see how long it will take me to 1cc it.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Raiden 1 plays pretty terribly on Raiden Legacy (the sound is pretty messed up too.) The Raiden Fighters games seem to have turned out pretty well though.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
missingLink

Post by missingLink »

Bioshock Infinite.

But who isn't. ;)

It didn't turn out to be same (mindblowing) experience as the first one in 2007. But still a game that has a heart and a soul.

'Are you afraid of god?'
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Grabbed Ys Book 1 & 2 for the Virtual Console.

But it doesn't support interlace mode. :?

EDIT: Further googling implies that it does, but when I input the code nothing happens. Just noticed that my SNES games aren't working properly either now that I have component. Sigh.

EDIT AGAIN: Guess I had my Wii set up for a standard def TV which was causing the issue. Obnoxious, but at least it was fixable without swapping cables. Ys time.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

KennyMan666 wrote: Odin Sphere is a fucking gorgeous game that I wish I had played back in the day. Vanillaware games are so beautiful it's unfair to all other games.
It's true, they should be judged on a handicap. I personally didn't love playing, it was okay, but man it was pretty to look at.

Played the demo for Battleblock Theater, loved it, bought it.
It's fun, it's funny, it's got some neat, interesting mixes of platforming mechanics. Lots of simple ideas that build together to get more complicated. Obviously if you don't like the demo--it doesn't get much different, so check that out first! But I liked the chaotic platformy stuff. And I'm playing it local coop, so that's extra fun and the camera so far has been pretty manageable, just pulls out quickly to keep everything in view. Not tried the online aspect--not sure how that holds up.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I'm "playing" the demo of the Umineko visual novel. You don't really play though, there are no conversation options and no branching paths, so it's essentially a book. Not much happened so far but I'm liking the whole presentation. Certainly has a LOT more content compared to the manga (which feels rushed with all the missing details). And from what I was told, the anime is garbage. Always stick to the source material, as they say.

Unfortunately the demo only has episode 1. No idea how to even get the full game.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I can help you with that if you want.
I loved every second I spend reading that novel. Trying to solve the mystery was a pain in the ass, but I enjoyed it so much.
Started Playing/reading Rose Guns Days last week. Good, but I still prefer Umineko.
AweOfShe

Post by AweOfShe »

Playing the Vita port of Muramasa, and am on Momohime's 3rd boss fight.

Also picked up Code of Princess, and did the first 4 stages of it. Really digging it so far.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

8 hours into Odin Sphere and I've beaten the second chapter of the second story, out of five stories. This is not going to be a short game and I love that because I'm never going to want it to end.

The character you play in the second story was 100% not what I expected but oh man that spin attack. Why are spin attacks in games always so awesome?
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Decided this evening would be a good time for my once-every-couple-of-years playthrough of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow(GBA). Unfortunately, I traded in my DS Lite back when I got a 3DS XL, so that left the choice of playing my cart on either an old GBA SP (pre screen upgrade model) or a DS Phat. I went for the DS Phat, and quickly remembered why I don't play on that one. The screen isn't much better than the GBA SP, and the ergonomics are pretty terrible. Ultimately I just switched to an emulator and played that way. It's a game with all sorts of cool details in the background that get completely lost on a washed-out screen. In the meantime, I should probably see if I can find one of the upgraded screen GBA SP models around here...

In the course of playing through the game, I had a bit of trouble with Death (which seems to be the only boss that ever gives me much trouble in this game.) After 3 or 4 tries, I finally managed to beat him with about 8 health left. As he gets sucked into the vortex, he throws his sickle, which just happened to hit me and get me another game over AFTER I beat him. Fortunately I managed to get it on the next try, but that's about the cheapest cheap death I've seen in ages.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
KitesAreFun

Post by KitesAreFun »

system11 wrote:I just played the trial of the Double Dragon II remake on XBLA.

lol

I paid for the platformer instead. I can't even remember the name. It just came out. I was hoping I could play it with the wife, but that hasn't happened yet.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Ninja Gaiden Shadow for Gameboy. Fun stuff! Makes me want to get Shadow of the Ninja fo NES. The famicom version seems pretty rare
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Shadow of the Ninja is just "Kage" on Famicom; I got a copy by accident when looking for Legend of Kage, lol. It wasn't really expensive either.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

europa universalis chroniclles is free on gamefly till tomorrow.
go get it!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Not my kind of game, but thanks for the heads-up.

Some recent Turrican talk prompted me to play through Mega Turrican again, which had been my least favorite of the series (aside from the mash-up that is the first Super Turrican). I had more fun with it this time. Though the plasma rope is poorly implemented, there's more room for exploration than I'd thought. Having a meter for the gyroscope is a good compromise between the strictly limited uses of the first title and the infinite availability of the second. Bosses have simple patterns, but manage to be fun to shoot.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Marc

Post by Marc »

The Empire Strikes Back pinball. Good fun, though I suck at pinball. Busy table with plenty to do. Anyone have an opinion on a decent, more classic style table for FX Pinball?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Marc wrote:The Empire Strikes Back pinball. Good fun, though I suck at pinball. Busy table with plenty to do. Anyone have an opinion on a decent, more classic style table for FX Pinball?
My personal favorite is Mars. A sort of laid back table that you can just play off the cuff or go for score. Other favs include Moon Knight and Earth Defense. Really, they're all good. If you want a more sim-style table, the PBFX1 set is more traditional, but I prefer the 'enhanced' ones. Really, though, they're all quite worth checking out.

Except maybe Rocky & Bullwinkle. The sound samples drive me nuts. :wink:
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
CoolgyFurlough

Post by CoolgyFurlough »

I've been playing Europa Universalis 3 because I managed to get it free (Thanks for the heads up Aguraki), and I must say that I'm having an absolute blast with it, which I wasn't expecting. It really almost makes me not want to play Civilization V anymore (which is a game I absolutely love). I really am loving the depth, and also the fact that the game really doesn't have a set goal. I'll probably become a fan of Grand Strategy because of this.
Marc wrote:Anyone have an opinion on a decent, more classic style table for FX Pinball?
Yeah, it's called Pinball Arcade instead of FX pinball, all of the tables are licensed emulations of real tables. :P
KAI

Post by KAI »

WCW vs NWO World Tour [N64]
This game fucking rulz!! I've been playing with my brother and we reminded how awesome this game was and the time we spend in our childhood playing 4 players matches with friends (2vs2, 3vs1 and Battle Royal).
Excellent mechanics, graphics, music, everything. If you don't like the N64, just play this game, it will make you shut the fuck up.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I remember being quite wowed by WCW vs NWO's look after previous wrestling games on the system. Good times.
moh

Post by moh »

been playing a lot of street fighter alpha 2 and puzzle bobble 2X. Occasionally mr driller G
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
powersoul

Post by powersoul »

Rebooted up my PSX and played Legend of Mana. Just can't forget how much I loved that game.
This is my signature. It's so unique, nobody else has it.

Get the picture?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Just spent two hours trying to beat doomsday on very hard difficulty on the injustice gods among us demo. I gave up on it. Reminds me of cheap old snk bosses. Stiff controls don't help much either. Ugh.