RQ: Strikers 1999 (III) technical bonus?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Ramus

RQ: Strikers 1999 (III) technical bonus?

Post by Ramus »

How do you get the technical bonus on the boss?
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
BER

Re: Strikers 1999 (III) technical bonus?

Post by BER »

Ramus wrote:How do you get the technical bonus on the boss?
First, make sure that the boss is not approaching death, which is indicated by the boss flashing red (I think). Wait until the boss shows its blue orb. (It won't show this orb if the boss is already approaching death.) Then move close enough to the blue orb until it turns red. Shoot the red orb to receive the technical bonus. Be sure to approach and destroy the orb quickly before the boss conceals it again.

(By the way, you cannot get a technical bonus in the eighth stage.)

For some techniques on receiving the technical bonus, read Alluro's Strikers 1999 walkthrough:

http://www.rf-emporium.net/s1999/stage1.htm

If you're motivated, you can get the double technical bonus in certain stages. You can read more about this here:

http://click-stick.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=235
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
landshark

Re: Strikers 1999 (III) technical bonus?

Post by landshark »

BER wrote: If you're motivated, you can get the double technical bonus in certain stages. You can read more about this here:

http://click-stick.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=235
How do you download those videos? I've been trying to figure out how to get stuff from stgclub for over a year now and it's quite frustrating.

I can't even make an account.

This is the first I've heard of a double TB as well. Interesting. I'd love to milk a few more points out of the 5/6/7 bosses since loop 2 completely destroys me.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I'm bumping this for information and perhaps later on videos regarding this talked about 'double' technical bonus feat. Necronopticous, you're up.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

"Double tech bonus" is a bit misleading, actually, since the technical bonus is only being triggered once. What is really happening is that there is certain ways to collect the points for both the technical bonus, as well as the regular amount of points you'd get if you killed the boss outright, without bothering with the tech bonus.

As far as I have discovered, there are three possible opportunities for doing this, on the bosses of stage 5, 6, and 7.

Geobite of stage 6 and Shadow Blinder of stage 7 are unique to other bosses in the game in that they may be glitched out by triggering the technical bonus in the exact frame of animation where they are entering their "final attack" phase, before exploding due to time-out. If done correctly, the technical bonus will appear, and you will be awarded the points for it, but the boss will not actually die, and will go ahead into the "final attack" form, where it can be killed off for the additional amount of points with your regular shot. Since the game is glitched at this point, the boss will not actually shoot any bullets out during this time.

It's also possible to get the extra points on Green Bender of stage 5, but unfortunately he is not glitchable in the same way that Geobite and Shadow Blinder are. The only way to "double tech" this guy is to kill him (must be with the assistance of a bomb) at the exact same time as triggering the technical bonus. The extreme precision required for this one makes it nearly impossible to judge and execute, in my experience.

As of right now, I just go for the "double tech" on Shadow Blinder in my runs, and I can get it pretty consistently, especially with the help of a bomb.

J.S. has a great video over at super-play.co.uk:

http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?superplay=291

Scoring-wise, it is a nearly perfect run of the first loop, including all three possible "double tech bonuses."
landshark

Post by landshark »

Also, when you glitch level 6 or 7, the boss stops firing at you.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.