MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lettuce

MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

Post by lettuce »

I have been playing around with the HLSL CRT emulation overlay for MAME since about xmas time, and ive think ive gotten it as good as i can. There are loads of different settings to tweat and to be fair theres alot i dont know what it actually alters. So i thought id start a thread on possible preset or even suggestions on the settings i have to make a more authentic CRT arcade monitor look on an LCD Display. I hope that eventually the MAME devs will have a set of presets already bundled with MAME for the HLSL settings base on the different makes of monitors that where actually in the arcade cab for the rom that you load through mame.

Anyway, im using a Samsung 40" LCD display and outputting a 1080p signal, i am using the following HLSL settings within mame.ini....

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_prescale_x 0
hlsl_prescale_y 0
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write
hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080
shadow_mask_alpha 0.15
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
shadow_mask_vsize 0.09375
curvature 0.0
pincushion 0.06
scanline_alpha 1.00
scanline_size 1.00
scanline_height 0.7
scanline_bright_scale 1.5
scanline_bright_offset 0.60
scanline_jitter 0.05
defocus 0.8,0.8
converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation 1.3
offset 0.0,0.0,0.0
scale 1.0,1.0,1.0
power 1.0,1.0,1.0
floor 0.03,0.03,0.03
phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0
yiq_enable 0
yiq_cc 3.59754545
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_o 0.0
yiq_p 1.0
yiq_n 1.0
yiq_y 3.0
yiq_i 1.2
yiq_q 0.6
yiq_scan_time 52.6
yiq_phase_count 2

The rom i am using is Black Tiger (blktiger), i have uploaded a few screen shots and a video taken with my iphone 4.....

Image Image

And the video clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEzRNol ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by lettuce on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Almighty

Re: MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

Post by Almighty »

looks great to me,

just copy/past in mame.ini right?

or do i need more, never used this and i want to see the difference next to my slg3000.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

did you notice any lag with this MAME settings beside the one inherent to LCD display?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Almighty wrote:looks great to me,

just copy/past in mame.ini right?

or do i need more, never used this and i want to see the difference next to my slg3000.
Yeah just copy that into the HLSL section of the mame.ini, remove the defualt settings first though. And make sure Directx is up to date. If calibrated correctly the HLSL overlay will give you better results than the SLG3000 ever could. You can add effects like, screen jitter, convergence errors, defocus issues etc.
yojo! wrote:did you notice any lag with this MAME settings beside the one inherent to LCD display?
No not that im aware of...but then i dont have the actual PCB to compare it to, but i dont notice any. The mame build im using is called GroovyMAME, http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... ,52.0.html

Its main purpose is to reduce input lag, have correct refresh rates and resolutions for roms, and smooth scrolling, the last few can only really be achieved with a CRT display and an ATI card though (for windows). There is a version called GroovyArcade which is for Linux which is said to be vastly superior.....luckily Calamity has made a guide on how to run the Linux version off a USB stick on a Windows based PC (just boot from the USB stick when you want to play mame). The guide can be found here, http://code.google.com/p/groovyarcade/w ... stallation
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Forgot to mention, you'll probably have to change these settings in the hlsl section in mame.ini to your screens resolution,

hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080

shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
Almighty

Post by Almighty »

lettuce wrote:Forgot to mention, you'll probably have to change these settings in the hlsl section in mame.ini to your screens resolution,

hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080

shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
hmmm, i am running on a 4:3 lcd with 800x600 resolution. (or maby 640/480)
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Almighty wrote:
lettuce wrote:Forgot to mention, you'll probably have to change these settings in the hlsl section in mame.ini to your screens resolution,

hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080

shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
hmmm, i am running on a 4:3 lcd with 800x600 resolution. (or maby 640/480)

Try,

hlsl_snap_width 800
hlsl_snap_height 600

shadow_mask_x_count 640
shadow_mask_y_count 480

see how that looks.

A few more vids,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We995cVzZj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRR0RI0e2Ts - @32 seconds the close up on Leo looks especially nice
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Looking very nice on your screenshots, thanks for sharing, I'll give these a try tomorrow. Do they work for vertical and horizontal games just the same? If I want to change the brightness/darkness of the scanlines (as if adjusting the pot on a SLG3000 for instance) whats the best number to tweak in your opinion?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080

shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
What's the relationship between these two settings?

e.g. I'm using 1680x1050, how do i calculate the shadow_mask values?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

BuckoA51 wrote:Looking very nice on your screenshots, thanks for sharing, I'll give these a try tomorrow. Do they work for vertical and horizontal games just the same? If I want to change the brightness/darkness of the scanlines (as if adjusting the pot on a SLG3000 for instance) whats the best number to tweak in your opinion?
The good thing about HLSL is you can alter it and save it for each game, as the odd game it looks odd so you can tweak it for that game, it will work for vertical and horizontal games but as said for vertical you might need to tweak it. There is a good post.fx hack you can do in the mame folder for vertical games where it changes the view point of the screen so it looks like your looking down on a old vertical cab style view point. I think I posted about it here in one of the other mame threads. Regarding the scanline brightness you would want to look at these settings im not 100% on the effect they have however:

scanline_alpha 1.00 - should change the brightness or darkness of the actual scanlines
scanline_bright_scale 1.5 - I think this change the size of the bellow effect
scanline_bright_offset 0.60 - would create a sort of bleed over/blurring of the scanline

If you want the image to 'pop' a tad more you can alter the saturation options. Remember alot of these settings can have a negative vaule aswell (-1.2 etc) and can be altered on the fly in the in game mame setting (TAB) menu screen
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

shmuppyLove wrote:

hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080

shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
What's the relationship between these two settings?

e.g. I'm using 1680x1050, how do i calculate the shadow_mask values?
I'm still learning with HLSL but I believe hlsl_snap_ width/height is the size of the HLSL effect so you want it the same res as your desktop...I'm guessing you could maybe select a higher res which in theory would give sharper HLSL effect results?

I'm not entirely sure on the shadow mask setting, I have altered it to a number of resolutions but can't seem to see an effect it must be to do with the res of he actual shadow mask effect, there are some other settings to do with shadow mask, shadow_mask_alpha maybe if that value was increased we might see the shadow mask effect more clearly??
cools

Post by cools »

The snap width and height are for screenshots.

Shadowmask is tough to set - it's supposed to be set to the highest resolution the tube you're trying to simulate can support based on the dot pitch, but finding out that information is not straightforward, it might even be impossible.

It must definitely be set in a 4:3 ratio though.

1920x1080 is too low to do a worthwhile shadowmask effect, so I found when messing around with HLSL that the best compromise was to set it to about 1.5-1.75x the resolution of a low res game - 480x360 seemed good, with the transparency turned down.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Thanks for the info cools, so the snap width and hight has no effect on HLSL at all just the res of a screen shot if you take one within mame??

So the shadow mask has to be a 4:3 res even if using a 16:9 display?, makes sense I guess as the active display area is a 4:3 area. Any suggestions on the alpha setting?

One interesting option I have been tweaking is he floor option, increasing that adds a CRT light/glow to the back of the picture, if left at default then the screen is just completely back, which isn't like a CRT display at all as even on a black screen you still get a light black coming though just due to the nature of the CRT tech , this floor option can add that to the picture
cools

Post by cools »

The shadowmask aspect needs to be the same as the tube you're simulating, unless you're stretching it out to 16:9.

Alpha is preference. On a CRT it'd be 100%. I actually like the effect quite strong and bump the brightness up to compensate.

The floor I'd personally leave alone. I tune my CRTs so that black is true black - I'm aware that they are still emitting some light, but the same is true of LCD displays.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Mame + HLSL also works really nice on Windows 8 with an Ivy Bridge CPU with integrated graphics (I'm using the i5-3570K). You just need to install the DirectX 9 web setup before it shows any scanlines.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

blizzz wrote:Mame + HLSL also works really nice on Windows 8 with an Ivy Bridge CPU with integrated graphics (I'm using the i5-3570K). You just need to install the DirectX 9 web setup before it shows any scanlines.

The CPU intergrated GPU can handle HLSL then?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

lettuce wrote:
blizzz wrote:Mame + HLSL also works really nice on Windows 8 with an Ivy Bridge CPU with integrated graphics (I'm using the i5-3570K). You just need to install the DirectX 9 web setup before it shows any scanlines.
The CPU intergrated GPU can handle HLSL then?
I only tried it with the i5-3570K so far, which has a HD4000 (highest integrated CPU class by Intel). No problems or lag that I could notice, if you unlock the speed it goes at several hundred frames per second.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Copied from Gaming Nostalgia blog (http://gamingnos.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10 ... de-up.html):

hlsl_enable = (Turn HLSL on with 1 or Turn HLSL off with 0, best to configure this setting in mame.ini)
hlsl_prescale_x =(This setting can give you a 'sharper' image depending on what resolution you play games at. For example, if you are playing a 320x240 game at 1280x960 then you are using a 4x magnification. Here you put 4 for a 4x pre-multiplication in horizontal pixels)
hlsl_prescale_y = (This setting can give you a 'sharper' image depending on what resolution you play games at. For example, if you are playing a 320x240 game at 960x720 then you are using a 3x magnification. Here you put 3 for a 3x pre-multiplication in vertical pixels)
hlsl_preset = (Currently an undocumented setting)
hlsl_snap_width = (This setting sets the width for huge resolution 'rendered snapshots' that can be created by default hotkey [LEFT ALT] & [F12]. Usually best used at a multiple of your playing output resolution. For example 1280 wide x4 = 4160)
hlsl_snap_height = (This setting sets the height for huge resolution 'rendered snapshots' that can be created by default hotkey [LEFT ALT] & [F12]. Usually best used at a multiple of your playing output resolution. For example 960 high x4 = 3840)
shadow_mask_alpha =(visibility of shadow mask, when using big game display output use small numbers here. If you use the default aperture.png you need to use an even smaller number here to remove the moiré effect)
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png = (Name of shadow_mask 'overlay' file)
shadow_mask_x_count = (Here is where we tell the HLSL file how many times to tile the 'aperture.png' to fill the resolution. Using the default 'aperture.png' you will notice moiré effects. To remove this problem input the original games width resolution here)
shadow_mask_y_count = (Here is where we tell the HLSL file how many times to tile the 'aperture.png' to fill the resolution. Using the default 'aperture.png' you will notice moiré effects. To remove this problem input the original games height resolution here)
shadow_mask_usize = (This tells the HLSL filter how to wrap the 'aperture.png' horizontally so that when tiling everything will line up correctly. Doesn't work correctly with the default 'aperture.png')
shadow_mask_vsize = (This tells the HLSL filter how to wrap the 'aperture.png' vertically so that when tiling everything will line up correctly. Doesn't work correctly with the default 'aperture.png')
curvature = (Suppose to curve the 'aperture.png' with the curve of the screen if you also use pincushin? Is working with recent HLSL versions)
pincushion = (This can give you that cool fishbowl effect. Is working with recent HLSL versions)
scanline_alpha = (visibility of scanlines, when using big game display output use small numbers here)
scanline_size = (just set to one if you want them? Unrevised setting)
scanline_height = (this is like 75% scanline which is personal preference? Undocumented setting)
scanline_bright_scale = (just set to one if you want them? Unrevised setting)
scanline_bright_offset = (this is like 50% so they don't show up too strong? Unrevised setting)
scanline_jitter = (I don't use, makes scanlines shimmer up and down. Is working with recent HLSL versions. Unrevised setting)
defocus = (I don't use defocus as is only used to add blurriness to your game image, yuck!)
converge_x = (I don't use, suppose to offset pixel position by colours)
converge_y = (I don't use, suppose to offset pixel position by colours)
radial_converge_x = (I don't use, suppose to offset pixel position by colours)
radial_converge_y = (I don't use, suppose to offset pixel position by colours)
red_ratio = (leave alone, red ratio 100%)
grn_ratio = (leave alone, green ratio 100%)
blu_ratio = (leave alone, blue ratio 100%)
saturation = (this is saturation, how strong colours look/bleed, don't set too high)
offset = (I don't use, suppose to offset strength of red,blue,green)
scale = (I think of this like brightness control, where 1.0 = 100%)
power = (I think of this like contrast control, where 1.0 = 100%)
floor = (I think of this like gamma control, I don't like gamma creates washed out colours)
phosphor_life = (can create a ghosting effect on fast moving sprites, up to you if you like or not? When using big game display output use small numbers here)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

The good thing about HLSL is you can alter it and save it for each game
You can set it per-game now? That is good news.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BuckoA51 wrote:
The good thing about HLSL is you can alter it and save it for each game
You can set it per-game now? That is good news.
You can have any MAME setting on a per-game basis if you create separate INI files, and it will override the corresponding setting in the main INI file (excellent for controls).

This can be also be done for all games using the same driver, so for example all Neo Geo games, or all CPS2 games.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yes I know that to be true from experience, but I wasn't aware it applied to HLSL settings. Does MAME now save these on a per-game basis if you manually adjust using the slider controls then?

Edit - Tried these settings but the Shadow mask stuff just looked ghastly to me, big warpy crazy circle patterns over everything, I turned it off.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

How do i correct the aspect ratio using the HLSLsettings? My 1080p 40" LCD allways display it in 16:9, i've tryed several things, but as soon as HLSL is on the correct aspect ratio don't seems to work.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If MAME itself outputs in 4:3 you should be able to tell your graphics card to add borders to get to 16:9 instead of stretching the content.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Do you have your screen configured correctly? I have 'screen', 'aspect' and 'resolution' all on auto and 'cleanratio' on 1 in mame.ini.

I'm no expert in Mame, but for me it outputs a 2560x1440 image with black borders on all sides. The monitor doesn't need to scale it at all.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I also have it on auto, and corrects the aspect ratio with black borders left and right, but as soon as i turn hlsl on the screen gets 16:9, and my Samsung panel is on "just scan" mode, and if i change it to 4:3 it will cut a litte of the screen. Gonna try Fudoh sugestion
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Ok, working great now. I found the "aspect" was not in auto, but in 4:3 afterwall. Just wonder which settings are user Cools using nowadays, since he is the older one here using HLSL.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Turning HLSL effects seems still a little buggy. Im getting a lot of "mame stoped working and things like that"
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Make sure you're on the very latest DirectX and video card drivers. DirectX 9 components are NOT automatically updated and do not come up to date by default even in Windows 8.

Also, make sure your desktop is set to the same resolution as you run MAME in, I have no idea why, but if I start MAME with my desktop set to my monitors native resolution (2048x1152) it will crash instantly. (I play MAME on my 1080p TV not the monitor, a HDMI splitter splits the signal between the two. I don't really understand why desktop resolution would affect MAME and why it just doesn't ignore it when I've told it to render at 1080p).
cools

Post by cools »

Overkill wrote:Ok, working great now. I found the "aspect" was not in auto, but in 4:3 afterwall. Just wonder which settings are user Cools using nowadays, since he is the older one here using HLSL.
I'm not, I only dip in to it now and then. My first set of settings were somewhat reactionary - people seem to have figured out what a CRT actually looks like with their settings nowadays ;)

I don't have anything that HLSL works with any more either.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Ok, everytime i use MAME it works great launching the first game rom, wherever game is. After quiting game and everytime i try to launch a second game, even if is the same game i get error:

"Unable to create the Direct3D device (8876017C)"

And then MAME stops working and i get back to desktop. If i return to MAME anygame will launch at first time.

This juts happens with HLSL on, and direct3d, changing to directdraw stops the problema, but its goodby to HLSL effects.

I tyied a fresh INI file, changing deskop resolution, updating my vídeo card drivers, getting last DirectX drivers and nothing works on this issue.

Any tip?