voona

Re: HANZO - The Ultimate Dreamcast VGA BOX wuth Scanlines

Post by voona »

LOL Fudoh,

Your THE Man !
justice99

Post by justice99 »

I bought a scanliner from him, only 30dollars shipped, he was selling them at 25dollars shipped until he stoped to make them.

Very good product, i will buy from him an HANZO very soon.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Fudoh let us know your feedback when you receive it and have the time to test it.
justice99

Post by justice99 »

Overkill wrote:Fudoh let us know your feedback when you receive it and have the time to test it.
Well for the DC, VGA is VGA, i have 2 different VGA Boxes and one VGA cable, i cant find any difference between them.

The con of HANZO is that you cant use it as a scanliner only, i mean like a passthrough but its the ultimage VGA Box : Scanliner/Switch 15kHz/31kHz.

A must have for DC fan.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

justice99 wrote:I bought a scanliner from him, only 30dollars shipped, he was selling them at 25dollars shipped until he stoped to make them.

Very good product, i will buy from him an HANZO very soon.
i assume those three switches are scanlines on/off, scanline width and even/odd scanlines?
justice99

Post by justice99 »

matrigs wrote:
justice99 wrote:
i assume those three switches are scanlines on/off, scanline width and even/odd scanlines?
Sir YES Sir !
gabe

Post by gabe »

Just received my Hanzo v2:

Overkill

Post by Overkill »

How is working so far?
gabe

Post by gabe »

I just got done testing it on a few different displays. Everything works as expected. Here are some unsorted thoughts...
  • It's a really slick piece of hardware. Excellent craftsmanship and quite easy on the eyes.
  • I was hoping to connect my DC to my Sony PVM20L5 using Hanzo's RGB switch and a DB15-4BNC adapter, but I've been unable to get it to sync. I'm pretty sure this is the fault of my cabling. My guess is some sort of sync-on-green business. I plan to look into this further when I have more time.
  • This is probably obvious, but scanlines do wonders - 2D DC games (especially those with low res assets) look awesome on an LCD
  • This is the nicest VGA box currently on the market
justice99

Post by justice99 »

I recently bought from him an Hanzo with the new model of the scanliner, it uses the same PCB.

The Hanzo looks so clean, really impressive.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

For the DC, you need a sync combiner...which, for the 20L5 could be as simple as a bnc t-connector.

-Jim

gabe wrote:I just got done testing it on a few different displays. Everything works as expected. Here are some unsorted thoughts...
  • It's a really slick piece of hardware. Excellent craftsmanship and quite easy on the eyes.
  • I was hoping to connect my DC to my Sony PVM20L5 using Hanzo's RGB switch and a DB15-4BNC adapter, but I've been unable to get it to sync. I'm pretty sure this is the fault of my cabling. My guess is some sort of sync-on-green business. I plan to look into this further when I have more time.
  • This is probably obvious, but scanlines do wonders - 2D DC games (especially those with low res assets) look awesome on an LCD
  • This is the nicest VGA box currently on the market
gabe

Post by gabe »

jdubs wrote:For the DC, you need a sync combiner...which, for the 20L5 could be as simple as a bnc t-connector.

-Jim
Awesome - Thanks!
beharius

Post by beharius »

Thanks for the compliments...

A sync combiner addon for Hanzo and Kuro is on the way, I am currently working on it. Soon to be tested and released, stay in touch!
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Will there be a version with RGB or S-video out as well for those games that don't support VGA? :o
CHECKPOINT!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You got a 15/31khz switch, so you basically already get RGB.

But then again, if you don't have VGA, just use a $5 RGB cable for your DC.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Yeah, It can output both 15 khz RGB mode & 31khz VGA mode.
I will also build a scart addon for them, however I am not sure if all TVs can accept comp. sync (h+v sync combined), I will test it
For American customers, I will build RGBHV to BNC RGBS cables too.

For games not supporting VGA, the switch tricks the system first by booting in RGB mode and then to VGA.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

beharius wrote:I will also build a scart addon for them, however I am not sure if all TVs can accept comp. sync (h+v sync combined)
Just put a big fat orange sticker with a warning on the male Euro-SCART connector to only use the cable on inputs that support both 15kHz AND 31kHz RGBS. A lot of XRGB-mini owners would want that cable as they are already using SCART switches to support multiple retro-consoles and use an Euro-SCART to MiniDIN-8 adapter to connect to the XRGB-Mini (which supports 31kHz on its RGBS input).
beharius wrote:For American customers, I will build RGBHV to BNC RGBS cables too.
You may want to find out if there is actual demand for that configuration. It is my impression that 15 kHz RGB never went "mainstream" with consumer electronics in North America. Extron RGB interfaces which can output RGBS on (female) BNC seem to have mostly been used in institutional settings on displays in lecture halls and meeting rooms. So when there is any 15 kHz RGB support to begin with, there typically isn't a real "standard" for the connector used. For example, in a recent discussion I discovered that the DVDO iScan VP30 supports 31kHz RGBHV on the BNC inputs while 15 kHz RGBS support is piggybacked on the RCA connectors for component video :roll:. So unless you want to offer custom cables, NA customers may just have to replace the SCART connector themselves with the connectors they need.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

beharius wrote:For games not supporting VGA, the switch tricks the system first by booting in RGB mode and then to VGA.
Can you provide some more information on this switch? For games that don't natively output 480p, is the signal 480i or 240p (before being converted to 480p)? A more concrete example would be: how do Super Street Fighter II X and Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service appear on the Hanzo? When you force a 240p display, they normally only show the top-left corner of the picture.
beharius

Post by beharius »

This trick may not be compatible with all games. Some games are patched for VGA mode.
You can read this faq
http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/91641 ... /faqs/2674
Or the Hanzo Manual for more info:
http://anten.com.tr/content_files/banne ... manual.pdf

Boot it in RGB 15KHZ mode until you hear a beeping sound, then change the switch to VGA 31khz mode.

Actually Capcom games look crappy, edgy, pixelated (whatever you prefer to call) on a hi res VGA monitor, because of their low res graphics , but when you apply the Scanliner function, they look awesome!
"I wasn't playing these games for years, Dreamcast was never my system of choice for playing those fighting games until I discovered scanlines. I was missing the old days with my Sony CRT. Now I can’t stop playing them on my Panasonic plasma monitor."

I tried a backup copy of SSF2X, and it's perfect on the VGA mode with scanlines, it may be a patched one.
I haven't tried the Vampire Chronicles, but I know some games may not work on the VGA mode, but playing it in 15khz RGB still better than the official scart cable or other types of cables.

Ganelon wrote:
beharius wrote:For games not supporting VGA, the switch tricks the system first by booting in RGB mode and then to VGA.
Can you provide some more information on this switch? For games that don't natively output 480p, is the signal 480i or 240p (before being converted to 480p)? A more concrete example would be: how do Super Street Fighter II X and Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service appear on the Hanzo? When you force a 240p display, they normally only show the top-left corner of the picture.
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

gabe wrote:
jdubs wrote:For the DC, you need a sync combiner...which, for the 20L5 could be as simple as a bnc t-connector.

-Jim
Awesome - Thanks!
Any luck?

-Jim
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

A note for folks with a 20L5. A t-connector does NOT work with all sources. For instance, a 360....Got mine working with an Extron ss 200.

-Jim
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Wasn't sure where I should post this but, this seemed like the most logical place so here goes.

Beharius, I'd like to buy a Hanzo but I haven't been able to sign up at Assembler, could I order one through you here instead?
beharius

Post by beharius »

Yes, you can, PMed. Thanks for your interest!
beharius

Post by beharius »

GREAT NEWS:

I tested Scanliner's cable with Hanzo and it works perfectly. So every Hanzo can be used as a standalone Scanliner for other consoles by just changing its DC cable to a Scanliner one(male VGA).
By just purchasing a Hanzo and an extra cable you own 2 devices at once! Only disadvantage is you have to remove its shell every time you want to change its cable.

Extra SCANLINER cable is $5 if you purchase it with Hanzo...
SuperSonic593

Post by SuperSonic593 »

beharius wrote:Yes, you can, PMed. Thanks for your interest!
Beharius, I'd very much like to order one from you through here too, if that's cool. :D Can you PM me with ordering details? Thanks!
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

I got mine in the mail today, much sooner than expected!

gabe

Post by gabe »

jdubs wrote:A note for folks with a 20L5. A t-connector does NOT work with all sources. For instance, a 360....Got mine working with an Extron ss 200.

-Jim
I finally got around to testing a T-connector with my 20L5 and Hanzo... I couldn't get it to sync. To be fair it may be a problem with my setup.

I tried several different variations, but came closest to a usable picture with sync and green T'd into the green input with external sync disabled on the 20L5, and the Hanzo set to RGB.