R-type Dimensions

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Spyke

R-type Dimensions

Post by Spyke »

Sorry if I've missed thi discussion - I did use the search but couldn't find the answer.

Will R-type Dimensions ever be released on XBLA in Europe?

Thanks,

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
Handhelds: 3DS-XL - DS-Lite - DSi XL - PSP 3003 - PS Vita
I want to eject...
Alfred

Re: R-type Dimensions

Post by Alfred »

Spyke wrote:Sorry if I've missed thi discussion - I did use the search but couldn't find the answer.

Will R-type Dimensions ever be released on XBLA in Europe?

Thanks,

Ant
The game was released ages ago world wide.
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Didn't the R-Type games get pulled from the console shops, last March or so? Or was that only a temporary thing?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Thanks - just checked and it's on the marketplace! Downloading demo now - will buy M$ points and full game tomorrow! ;)

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
I want to eject...
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jeneki wrote:Didn't the R-Type games get pulled from the console shops, last March or so? Or was that only a temporary thing?
You're thinking about the downloadable PS1 titles on PSN, which I'm pretty sure were delisted. R-Type Dimensions was distributed by SouthBend, not Irem... so it isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Got demo, like demo, but 1200 points for two games I already have on ps1? Might wait for a sale... but then the HD makeover is pretty sexy...

guessinf my thoughts reflect most people's... ;-)

Ant
I want to eject...
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I don't think it's ever been on sale, mate. Barmy, I know. It's well worth the 1200 points, though...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

It was, once, a few years ago. I remember because I had bought the game at 1200 MSP the previous day.

Still worth it, though.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Spyke wrote:Got demo, like demo, but 1200 points for two games I already have on ps1? Might wait for a sale... but then the HD makeover is pretty sexy...

guessinf my thoughts reflect most people's... ;-)

Ant
The option for 2-player simultaneous is what makes this collection stand out, considering it's the first time any main-line R-Type game has offered this feature.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

It's worth more than 1200 points imo - the hd remake is really nice, and the fact that you can change between it and the original on the fly is a really awesome touch.

One of the best retro collections/remakes on XBLA.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Thinking about it is is indeed worth it. I'll make the investment I think. :)

Ant
I want to eject...
system11

Post by system11 »

1200 points is less than the price of a decent pizza.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

system11 wrote:1200 points is less than the price of a decent pizza.
Good point. Sometimes I only see the price, not the value... ;)

Ant
I want to eject...
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Spyke wrote:the price, not the value
Bingo! :)
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

This is the one that has that weird scrolling/movement judder, shame as looked nice
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Scrolling isn't really weird. What I did notice when I played the first R-Type is that some enemies are a little more resilient and the gaps between a few moving blocks in stage 6 are even tighter than usual.
Other than that, pure eye candy and awesome integration between old and new.
Austin

Post by Austin »

The hit detection can be a little iffy in this one, and some of the damage required to take down certain enemies isn't true to the arcade either. Will throw you off if you are used to the originals. Still a solid collection though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Unless I'm missing something, you can't use the force to take down the battleship on ST3 for one - you have to get in there yourself. Doable but annoying on a conversion/port. Even the Spectrum version got that right.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The Battleship core takes a lot more hits. In the arcade it could be killed with a single fully charged beam. It's debatable whether this is better or worse.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Kollision wrote:Scrolling isn't really weird. What I did notice when I played the first R-Type is that some enemies are a little more resilient and the gaps between a few moving blocks in stage 6 are even tighter than usual.
Other than that, pure eye candy and awesome integration between old and new.
Checked it again and the scrolling is weird, it is choppy like when mame runs a 57Hz game at 60hz
Hibachi

Post by Hibachi »

Austin wrote:The hit detection can be a little iffy in this one, and some of the damage required to take down certain enemies isn't true to the arcade either. Will throw you off if you are used to the originals. Still a solid collection though.
I notice this particularly on stage 2 of r-type 1. The plant type enemies take less damage to destroy. I remember reading somewhere on this forum a while ago that it was based on a different rom set.

I was glad about the instant respawn as well on this version as I would never see the end game as I always died on the last stage. Still can't do it to this day.
Live Fast Die Ugly

Xbox Gamertag: Gunstar Hero 10