Trigonometry Wars 3 Redux: The Revengeoning (v1.0 released!)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Giest118

Trigonometry Wars 3 Redux: The Revengeoning (v1.0 released!)

Post by Giest118 »

I just finished this game!

If you've played v0.8 or visited the dev forum you know this already, but I'll give you a basic rundown of what this game is like.

It's sort of a bastard-child of MushiFutari and DoDonPachi, with leaning toward DoDonPachi. Score is based both on chaining and on collecting point items, both of which contribute to getting Hypers, which are the key to getting obscenely high scores. There's all kinds of finer technical details to it, but if you like the Pachis, chances are this is worth giving a go.

If you don't care about score at all, you can also play for survival... and let me tell you, you'll have your work cut out for you either way.

Download link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28956713/Trigo ... 3Redux.zip
Development thread with a list of changes from v0.8: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43043

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version that fixes a couple of things.
* Added an option to turn off gamepad controls altogether in case you would prefer to use XPadder or something
* Hopefully fixed the issue where the game would crash when playing a lot of sounds on Windows 8 machines
* Fixed a retarded bug that I cannot believe I didn't see earlier and indeed am glad nobody discovered

You want screenshots? FINE HAVE SOME
Last edited by Giest118 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jaimers

Re: Trigonometry Wars 3 Redux: The Revengeoning

Post by Jaimers »

Why is the LB way harder than the TLB? V:

I like it so far. Any way to freeze and carry over activated hypers between stages like in the DDP's?
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Jaimers wrote:Why is the LB way harder than the TLB? V:
Probably because I made the last boss too hard. Or the TLB too easy. At least one of those. :V
Specifically, the first phase of the last boss. I'll likely tone that down later.
Jaimers wrote:I like it so far. Any way to freeze and carry over activated hypers between stages like in the DDP's?
I could do that. I'd like to hear more feedback before I do it though. Making this change would alter some of the strategy and risk/reward elements in the game. Some of the best places to use hypers are at the starts of stages, so there's a reward for never pressing the bomb button during a boss fight, even during its last phase.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Wow there really is a tlb, already done?
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Cagar wrote:Wow there really is a tlb, already done?
You might say it's a "TLB". In the same way that Hibachi in SDOJ is a "TLB". :3

1cc the game (or just 1cc the stage 5 boss in practice mode) and you'll get to see it.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Naturally, I'm so shit at the game I couldn't beat the Stage 5 boss on a single credit so I wasn't sure if a TLB was there. Or, the first phase was too hard. I figured it was me though. :P
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

Have to confirm that TLB seems to be easier than last boss, i almost managed to perfect it's final attack in the blind run...
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Rex Cavalier wrote:Have to confirm that TLB seems to be easier than last boss, i almost managed to perfect it's final attack in the blind run...
The operative word being "almost." It stands to reason that any given failure of that attack will be "almost" perfect. That final attack does start easy, but it gets nightmarishly fast in the last few seconds. :V
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Just slapping an update over in this thread to give a status update. The game is nearing completion. If anyone has any last-minute feature requests or suggestions, the next few days would be a good time to provide them. :V
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Isn't how you can lose your chain on bosses a bit unfair for the slower ships? Seeing as they have to unfocus at times to dodge things.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Jaimers wrote:Isn't how you can lose your chain on bosses a bit unfair for the slower ships? Seeing as they have to unfocus at times to dodge things.
That would be why losing a chain against a boss merely decreases hits per-frame rather than halving it. But if it's an issue, I can make it so that lasering bosses completely fills the chain gauge to give a full second before any penalties occur.
Pteriforever

Re: Trigonometry Wars 3 Redux: The Revengeoning (v1.0 releas

Post by Pteriforever »

Squee!

Downloading this right now :3
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

If someone 2-ALLs this, i'll bake a cake and decorate it with his name.
(again)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

wait so is the practice mode TLB supposed to have an easy final attack or not? it felt ridiculously hard to me but overall the boss is easier than the final one
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Bananamatic wrote:wait so is the practice mode TLB supposed to have an easy final attack or not? it felt ridiculously hard to me but overall the boss is easier than the final one
Talking about different TLBs. The one that was talked about earlier was the only one in v0.8, and appears at the end of a 1cc of the first loop. The one you can jump to straight from practice mode appears at the end of a 2-all. You can practice the first TLB by heading into the stage 5 boss in Practice mode and 1cc'ing it.

Hope that clear things up. :V
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

yeah tried it now and the first TLB feels a bit too easy

actually, even the second one has some really easy parts
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

I made the first one with the fact in mind that you would fight it at the end of ANY 1cc of the first loop, including one that goes on into the second loop.

As for the second... while I took a lot of inspiration from Cave in making this game, I did not take many hints from their TLBs, because frankly the only TLB of theirs that I actually like is Doom. Although, the final attack does have shades of Inbachi in it. I designed it to be more like a logical "end boss" than a sort of "insane god-challenge."

... If it's easy compared to the other second loop bosses though, that's a quite different issue. :V
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Posted a small bugfix release with the same download link. Check out the first post for a list of fixes.

EDIT: Another one, this one for a high score issue that occurs when you press Enter to go to the main menu after getting a game over.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

I've reached the "first loop tlb" or last boss a couple of times now. More people should play this, and Giest, make that hi-score thread now.
Type B is almost useless, it lacks speed, and type C options turn too much.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

The high score thread is a thing. You can head over to the Hi Scores forum to see it.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Another day, another update.

* Fixed an outdated part of the How to Play screen
* Slightly increased the speed of the B ship when lasering
* Slightly decreased the rotation of Type C's options
* Darkened the cyan star bullets used by the stage 2 midboss and the stage 3 boss
* Darkened the shooting star background objects in stage 3
* Made the laser disappear completely when the laser button is let go
* Fixed a bug in the stage 2-3 boss
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Aaaand fixed another problem. Jesus christ, I have no idea how the fuck I missed that.

* Type C's laser wouldn't fire in the previous update. Now it does.