Hello again (8 years later...)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Venom

Hello again (8 years later...)

Post by Venom »

So, guessing few remember me, I see some familiar names, but thought I would drop in and give a quick update on where life has taken me since I used to be quite active here.

To get it out of the way, no, not really gaming. Hasn't been a focus in a long time except for some stuff on my phone. Can't say I really miss it.

Big updates would be I have a family, am in medicine and life is going well. Think I was in 2nd year of university last I was really active, since then finished my degree, traveled, worked, did some graduate training too. Moved around Canada over the years, from Ontario to BC to Manitoba and back again, got married a few years back and like I said life is going well.

Anyway, that's about if for me. All the best, VNM
Fascination...
Specineff

Re: Hello again (8 years later...)

Post by Specineff »

I do remember you. Welcome back. Good to know that life's been kind to you.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Whoa, old-school shmups crowd represented. Good to see ya.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I remember. Brand new Osman kit prices have increased like tenfold since you left. Hope you kept a couple. :D
chempop

Post by chempop »

I remember you, though I wasn't too active in the early years. And yes, prices for many games are easily X5-X10 what they were then. Glad life is going well with your profession and family :D
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Venom

Post by Venom »

Hah, ah yeah, the Osman thing. Seems I left at the wrong time financially. Sold my Ketsui board then the price tripled, Osman kits are way up. Funny story, in the end due to exchange rates shifting selling those Osman kits didn't yield much, but people seemed to enjoy them and I'm guessing some of them have cashed in over the years.
Fascination...
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i remember you from 2003 era shmups.. i always looked up to the scores you and randorama used to get.(believe it or not very few people posted good scores back then)
After a few years i actually got good enough to beat some of them :wink:
anyways glad you're doing well! :D
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Venom wrote:Hah, ah yeah, the Osman thing.
I missed that boat too. Well, there's always MAME.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Welcome back!
Humans, think about what you have done
R79

Post by R79 »

RE good scores circa 2003

Pretty sure old Matty boy clocked a few Bakraid & Batrider biguns on his epic custom superguns!! ;)
Venom wrote: To get it out of the way, no, not really gaming. Hasn't been a focus in a long time except for some stuff on my phone. Can't say I really miss it.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Welcome back! Glad life has been good for you.

And yes I remember the list about hell that you posted some time ago... ;)
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/hell.html
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, here's a name I haven't glimpsed in a bit - glad to hear things have been going okay for you in the meantime.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Need more of the old crew back on the board.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Back to Ontario, everyone always come back

*shifty fingers*
Venom

Post by Venom »

Good to see some familiar faces are still around. Haven't checked many of the high score boards in a while, just looked, my Dangun and Strikers 1945 II scores are still near the top, but others are way down...

Anybody know what happened to sikraiken? Used to rack up some great scores back in the day.

R79 - They were very nice superguns, still remember I took a flight once and had it in carry on, really confused security. Can't remember what I called it, but definitely not a "supergun".

ST Dragon - I had totally forgotten about posting that and entering into that discussion. Been a while.

charlie chong - great job topping them :)
Fascination...
undamned

Post by undamned »

Venom wrote:Funny story, in the end due to exchange rates shifting selling those Osman kits didn't yield much, but people seemed to enjoy them and I'm guessing some of them have cashed in over the years.
The kit you sold me served me for many years! Amazing receiving a game with such lore surrounding it directly from the manufacturer! Thanks again! :D By the way, how did you ever land that contact with Mitchell?
Venom wrote:my Dangun and Strikers 1945 II scores are still near the top, but others are way down...
Haha, I remember when you used to post about your 1CC quest using missles and people were like :shock:
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Venom wrote:Anybody know what happened to sikraiken? Used to rack up some great scores back in the day.
He doesn't come around much often, but he still plays a few STG. He mostly plays Pump It Up these days though.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Venom

Post by Venom »

trap15 wrote:
Venom wrote:Anybody know what happened to sikraiken? Used to rack up some great scores back in the day.
He doesn't come around much often, but he still plays a few STG. He mostly plays Pump It Up these days though.
Ah, so he's still around. Interesting, think he was getting into the rhythm games around the time I left.
undamned wrote: The kit you sold me served me for many years! Amazing receiving a game with such lore surrounding it directly from the manufacturer! Thanks again! :D By the way, how did you ever land that contact with Mitchell?

Haha, I remember when you used to post about your 1CC quest using missles and people were like :shock:
-ud
Good to see you UD, I was quite surprised when I was able to get access to them. As for the contact, I think I'll leave a little mystery in the Osman story ;)

Oh, yes, the Dangun bomb plans and the 1LC. It got some attention, but also pulling that off made playing more of a chore rather than fun and contributed to my leaving. Looking back I think I may have written the worst strat guide posted here, it was really of no use to anyone other than myself.
Fascination...
undamned

Post by undamned »

Venom wrote:Oh, yes, the Dangun bomb plans and the 1LC. It got some attention, but also pulling that off made playing more of a chore rather than fun and contributed to my leaving.
"How Dangun Feveron Ruined My Life." :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ehi Venom,

glad to see you you're fine.

Rando
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Venom

Post by Venom »

Good to see you too Rando. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up when I was in Europe a few years back.

Seems like a lot of the old crowd are still around. Good to see everybody. 8)
Fascination...
Venom

Post by Venom »

I guess to update this one again. Now 3 kids and an MD after my name. Went into primary care in the end, all is going well.
Fascination...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Need to edit your avatar to wear a white coat and wield a comically large syringe. "Next patient, please!"

In seriousness, congrats! :)
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Hey Venom,

We've never talked previously, but I remember you from when I pulled off my A-B-4 Dangun stuff last year. Congrats man.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Venom wrote:To get it out of the way, no, not really gaming. Hasn't been a focus in a long time except for some stuff on my phone. Can't say I really miss it.
-Japan, 2016

I don't remember you but WB. Shmups are forever.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

3 kids? Eh! Besides, you are now a real doctor, unlike me...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Venom

Post by Venom »

Heh, BulletMagnet, I had the same idea. A white coat or stethoscope added to the avatar.

Thanks for the welcome backs and hellos.

Good to see you Rando. Yup, busy times doing the doctor and the daddy thing.
Fascination...
Venom

Post by Venom »

And some more years later...
Finally all done training and out in practice. It all comes back around, now kind of regretting I didn't just put the old supergun in a box to pull out and have some fun with now.
Fascination...
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Venom wrote:And some more years later...
Finally all done training and out in practice. It all comes back around, now kind of regretting I didn't just put the old supergun in a box to pull out and have some fun with now.
There's loads of good superguns on ebay. Board prices are gonna make you cry though.