RQ: Muchi Muchi Pork! boss help

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Aliquantic

RQ: Muchi Muchi Pork! boss help

Post by Aliquantic »

I'm finding it a little bit difficult to handle the MMP stage 4 boss safely (stage 5 to a lesser extend) and I usually end up dying twice to them and bombing a fair amount... it feels like I'm doing it wrong though and it shouldn't be so bad, but watching replays didn't really help me other than "learn to dodge". In particular:

* First attack on the stage 4 boss, I guess the idea is to circle around him, but that usually ends up with me being badly positioned for the entrapment pattern... and I occasionally just ram a bullet at the top of the screen. Surely there's a better way?
* Second phase on same is pretty annoying since each turret is either randomly aimed or green spam, but I should be able to dodge that regardless... the other attack (the "blue wheel") I handle in the corner with reasonable success.
* Last phase is just guh, stay up on the screen, pray, attempt to cut back if you have no bombs. Probably the worst pattern in the first loop for me :|

* Stage 5 boss I'm pretty just I just need more familiarity with, but is the first phase supposed to be pretty hard? I keep missing the visual cue for the lasers but that's just me not paying attention, and I still don't really know how to safely circle around the final... any help there?

I'm not looking forward to some of those things on Harahara mode (the stage 2 boss is pretty heinous already) either, but that's for another time! Thanks :)
Dronevil

Re: RQ: Muchi Muchi Pork! boss help

Post by Dronevil »

Aliquantic wrote:I'm finding it a little bit difficult to handle the MMP stage 4 boss safely
I'm in the same situation. I feel the 4 boss like the hardest part of the first loop, and would appreciate any tips on how to handle him.

First pattern it's not a problem for me.. as soon as he appears from the right, lard shot to destroy both side turrets and then circle around him. Once you get the timing of the green bullets attack (for me usually it's making two circles) it becomes pretty easy.

Second pattern destroys me and makes me use at least two bombs. Maybe the problem is always getting here at max rank? But i can't help raising the rank to the top through the 4 stage.

third pattern.. just what you said :(

Anyone can help on this?
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Oh yes, you're right that the first phase can be cheesed with a bomb, if you have one to spare :) (Which is usually not my case, and I could use them for the rest of the fight)

You cannot really control rank in this game no, but on the plus side it doesn't make that huge a difference. I believe you have to stop using the lard to keep the rank lower, but then you don't get extends in exchange for a slightly tamer game so :|

The last boss is also very doable with some bombs and lives to spare, but given how intense the loop gets (for me anyway), I really need to save up on lives! (And in 1.00 I don't have multiple lives to blow on either boss)
Dronevil

Post by Dronevil »

Aliquantic wrote:Oh yes, you're right that the first phase can be cheesed with a bomb, if you have one to spare (Which is usually not my case, and I could use them for the rest of the fight)
No, I never bomb the first phase.. as i said before once you get the timing right it becomes quite easy.

When i talked about bombing the second pattern i meant the "second phase" of the boss..
Aliquantic wrote:* Second phase on same is pretty annoying since each turret is either randomly aimed or green spam, but I should be able to dodge that regardless... the other attack (the "blue wheel") I handle in the corner with reasonable success.
That phase. I always get nervous when i get there, bomb like a maniac and die at least once.. Watching replays doesn´t help.. it just seems a matter of skill.

The only thing that lowers the rank for sure is dying during the boss fight. This is more noticeable during the first three bosses.. but when i get to the 4 boss the rank is so maxed that even dying 2 o 3 times has almost no effect on the rank bar.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Oh sorry I can't read, I thought you'd said you bombed the turret, instead of using lard shot on it :| I'll have to try your way then, thanks :)

And yes, only dying lowers your rank and the more lives you have, the less of an effect it has, so it's pretty much impossible to control the rank in this game (and not very useful), even if you are always on your last life and suicide all your extends away as soon as you get them.
Dronevil

Post by Dronevil »

Aliquantic wrote:Oh sorry I can't read, I thought you'd said you bombed the turret, instead of using lard shot on it
No problem
This is what i meant: really short video
probably is easier to do with momo because of her wider lard shot
cools

Post by cools »

St4 boss is a nightmare and the main reason I sold the PCB. I'll get it again once I feel my dodging skills have improved substantially.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Dronevil, yes I've got it now, thanks :) And yes, there's apparently a huge difficulty jump between the stage 3 boss and the stage 4 boss, and unfortunately the final boss doesn't really let go off the pressure either... thank god stage 5 itself isn't too bad to grind back a couple extends :|
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The stage 4 boss is a challenge, but should be manageable if you are ready for each pattern.

1st form: destroy both the left and right shoulders with your lard shot (if you`ve got any) then slowly circle around. The way he drives on the road is random, so learn to read his movements and try not to get boxed in. Once you circle back towards the bottom of the screen, inch either left or fight (depending on whether you were circling clockwise or counter-clockwise) very slowly. Try to end up in the middle when he`s done firing so you wont get nailed by the twin stream bullets that follow. Hopefully you still have some lard left to kill him during this so you can lots of gold.

2nd form: its random which patterns he fires. If both patterns are the blue long bullets, you should be ok. If its all green, I hope you have a bomb. One of the hardest parts of the game, I`ll admit.

3rd form: try to circle around him, paying close attention to the movements of the horse head. This can be a very stressful and dangerous technique at first, but once you get it down you`ll be ok.

Its a difficult boss, but not as hard as the last one. That guy has a couple of patterns that are truly beastly.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Thanks for the advice, especially for the last phase, I didn't know you could try to circle around it, will have to work it out in training :) I find it tricky still to time the phase changes properly, but I guess that comes with practice!
NTSC-J wrote:Its a difficult boss, but not as hard as the last one. That guy has a couple of patterns that are truly beastly.
Oh yes, I've got better at handling the stage 4 boss but the hard parts on the final boss are still a bit beyond my skills... and nasty patterns seems to be a theme that carries well into the loop/Harahara mode too :|
Deca

Post by Deca »

I'm glad this thread exists, I just picked the game up again and stage 4 boss is giving me some trouble as well. Am I missing something or is there no way to go straight to bosses in training mode?
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Indeed not, you can't skip straight to the bosses in training in either MMP or PS.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I`ve returned to this game in the hopes of clearing both loops in 1.00 and progress is ok so far, but I can see lots of frustration down the road. I`m hoping that the bug EOJ mentions on his forums about being able to access the loop with one death as long as you get the stage 3 1-up is true. I`m gonna need it.

So far, stages 1 and 2 are solid, but stage 3 needs work to be sure I can no-miss each time. I`m surprised at how well I`m scoring given the restrictions and hope to have somewhere around 120 million by the end of the loop. That would put me at about 240 million for the 2-ALL, which is not so far off from the 264 million record. Not having extends in the second round is a hurter.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Here are the links to recent replays:

Ikuo 2-ALL - 380,440,280 by NTSC-J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j52SHwnh ... e=youtu.be

Rafute 2-ALL 320,871,890 2-ALL by DEL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlbFg9V ... sg&index=1

These were kindly uploaded by pestro87.

For a Momo 2-ALL replay, the Leaderboard No.1 score by KSCUD 456mil would be well worth a watch.