RQ: Gradius III PS2, Wait Levels/Power Metre Set Ups

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Carmen

RQ: Gradius III PS2, Wait Levels/Power Metre Set Ups

Post by Carmen »

I'm wondering, what do you guys generally set the wait level at? When I first got the game, I was all cocky with a "I'm not going to ADD slowdown" sort of attitude. After hours of not being able to beat stage two (on technical) and even getting past the first bulletstorms of stage three (on beginner!), I've started to change my philosophy a bit. But Wait 2 makes even the first boss, which is an easy fight as it is, very easy, but doesn't really do much for the first part of the volcano stage.

So what wait level do you use, and additionally what do you recommend for me? Right now I'm tenitavily using (y'know, whenever I work up the courage to play this game!) Wait 1 for technical and No wait for beginner.

Also, since I wrote this with the intent of beating G.III (or making more laughable progress), what weapon sets do you use? I'm on the verge of unlocking SOMEthing (I know you get something with 10 hours of play, and I'm at nine). I like sets B (ripple laser/spread), and editing with the twin lasers. My most signifigant progress was with upper missiles/normal double/twin laser/s.option (but I think perhaps I should stop with these)/force field/option sacrifice.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

actually, you don't add slowdown by turning wait ON, you take it away by turning it OFF. as far as i understand the pcb slowed down equivalent to Wait 2. someone please correct me if i'm wrong. i posted in reply to you in another thread.

me i stick with wait off, the wait slowdown is too inconsistent, to me, to seem helpful. i'm afraid i can't enlighten you on the option edit, i think i only have around 5-6 hours on my timer. good luck getting answers.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hmm. Well maybe you're right about the slowdown. But when I'm given an option between a smooth performance and slowdown, the former FEELS like it's the original--the way the game is meant to be played.

Though if that were the case, then Gradius III was probably NEVER meant to be played!