Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Why did they put those pseudo 3D stages in Gradius III? They really suck.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Did anyone else notice that Garegga has "boss only" versions of the stages included or is it just me?
It only has them for the first two levels unlike other Raizing games that have them for every level with a boss, but it's obvious that a Only Boss course was planned.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Quick one. I use the Soul Caliber V Soul Edition as my main stick, it's a MadCatz brand with Hori parts far as I know. When I first bought it the stick was fantastic, but with six months or so use, it's loosened up just a little more than I'm comfortable with. Is there and easy fix, or is this stick easily modded, if so what's best to put in it?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Marc wrote:Quick one. I use the Soul Caliber V Soul Edition as my main stick, it's a MadCatz brand with Hori parts far as I know. When I first bought it the stick was fantastic, but with six months or so use, it's loosened up just a little more than I'm comfortable with. Is there and easy fix, or is this stick easily modded, if so what's best to put in it?
If it's this one, the answer is yes sir:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/apr/ ... ade-stick/

Sounds as though your restrictor panel has either come a little loose or has worn in, either way should be perfectly fixable/replaceable with a screwdriver and 15 minutes to spare. Everything you need to know is listed in the above link.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ilitirit

Post by ilitirit »

Does anyone have a link to a 1CC vid of Zing Zing Zip?
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

Skykid wrote: All I've ascertained is, the little mini X8 score counter at the bottom left of the screen depletes back to 0 once you get a life restock. Bomb restocks I'm not sure about. It doesn't seem to be a simple doling out of extends based on overall score though, but again I'm not 100% sure.
The 8x Action counter resets after each stage's miniboss and at the end of the stage. You get one bomb back when you die and one bomb when you get an extend. Even if you hit the extend with max lives, you'll still get the bomb as long as you're at less than 5. 8x Action is a bonus applied to your score after (mid-)bosses, so it sounds like the bonus is getting applied after you kill a boss, which pushes you past the extend point and then resets the 8x counter for the next half of a stage.
High Tension Max (which also costs one bomb), as you say, does give a moment of invincibility, but more importantly makes all targets temporarily "x8" even if you're not grazing anything, and makes them drop more coins than usual. Basically a way to use bombs to boost score instead of defensively.
Gotcha, so it's pointless using it on bosses, it's more to make popcorn enemies as valuable as possible. Interesting, I'd assume skilled players have no use for it then, b/c they can just graze and save the stocks for bombs?
HTM is actually extremely useful for scoring because you can move all over the screen and collect a whole lot more 8x10000 coins than normal. All the Shiki games are set up that killing enemies quickly makes more enemies spawn, so being able to get max value coins while zipping all over the screen means more enemies spawn which means even more max value coins which boosts your score both during the stage and at the end when it cashes in your 8x Action bonus. In sections that can spawn a lot of popcorn enemies, suiciding just before an extend can be a good idea since you'll end up with two more bombs and the same number of lives, and Reika shouldn't have too many problems building coin value back to max quickly with HTM.
Everything you guys told me is great, however I'm now in fear over the next question... Shiki III is a 3 button game isn't it? I've never seen this Time Stop bomb, so I assumed the HT was the bomb, because the cab only has TWO BUTTONS ON IT >_<
The controls should be:
Tap A is shot
Hold A is shikigami
B is bomb
A+B is Hi-Tension Max.

The home ports allow you to set an autofire button and a dedicated A+B button, but neither is technically necessary.

Also, you can tell how close you are to an extend by the meter that builds in the empty life and bomb counters. It's the same rate for bombs and lives even though the bomb meter is smaller on screen.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Lynx Winters wrote:Lovely fully fledged answer
Thanks much for that. I've been playing it quite bit (whenever I get to the arcade really) so I've pretty much grasped it now. The idea of dying right before an extend hasn't occurred to me tactically - may I ask, will that decrease the rank? At the moment I play Kuga 1, since he's easiest to build score without looking at anything except bullet grazing, or Reika, because she's a bit slower and easier to maneuver around bullets (Kuga can accidentally get clipped by moving too quickly.)

Problem is, whenever I do well (and I'm pretty tight at stages 1 and 2 and boss milking) the rank seems to own the shit out of me on stage 3. Will suiciding help to make things more tolerable? I don't find stage 3's bosses too taxing, but the level itself keeps messing me up. :(

Starting to lose interest because the first two stages get a bit monotonous after a while (long.)

Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

I don't know that the game has rank, actually. Practice mode in the PC port doesn't have an option for it, and I don't notice any difference in the stages if I get to them with a higher score or if I mess up a lot. Suiciding for bombs might help though just because more bombs means more chances to use HTM, which usually means you can kill enemies faster so they don't have time to put as many bullets on screen.
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

I just bought Dodonpachi Resurrection for the Xbox 360 and had a few questions.
1. How accurate is it as a port of the actual arcade cabinet. I am going to attempt to 1cc version 1.5 at Arcade UFO in Austin and I want to be sure that things on my console will perfectly match it in enemy locations, bullet patterns, slowdown, etc.
2. What is the easiest way for an American to purchase and download the Black Label dlc?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Skykid wrote:
Marc wrote:Quick one. I use the Soul Caliber V Soul Edition as my main stick, it's a MadCatz brand with Hori parts far as I know. When I first bought it the stick was fantastic, but with six months or so use, it's loosened up just a little more than I'm comfortable with. Is there and easy fix, or is this stick easily modded, if so what's best to put in it?
If it's this one, the answer is yes sir:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/apr/ ... ade-stick/

Sounds as though your restrictor panel has either come a little loose or has worn in, either way should be perfectly fixable/replaceable with a screwdriver and 15 minutes to spare. Everything you need to know is listed in the above link.
Mine isn't that one. It's basically a red and blue Namco Noir. And that link scared me ha.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

^ Ah, I'm not sure about that one. There's a chance yours is going to be hardwired. Doesn't mean you can't mod it, but it's a more difficult job than just popping out the sticks and buttons, but it still might be worth looking inside to see if you can tighten or adjust the restrictor panel (or just to see if it even needs replacing - it might be general wear that's loosened the stick.)

New question:

Guwange has rank, right? How severe is it depending on how hard you score? Curious, b/c I always found it a tougher clear compared to most Cave games, but then I'm always attempting to score heavily by chaining from the outset (and boss milking where possible).

powersoul

Post by powersoul »

If anyone actually figured out what the difficulty settings for deathsmiles and espgaluda actually change, please enlighten me.
This is my signature. It's so unique, nobody else has it.

Get the picture?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

powersoul wrote:If anyone actually figured out what the difficulty settings for deathsmiles and espgaluda actually change, please enlighten me.
Doesn't seem to change anything. If it does it's probably only noticable in the later levels. It was probably just a placebo but espgaluda's bullets may have been a *tad* faster on very hard though.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

I've been trying to remember the name of a doujin -- it's been a couple years so I don't remember much, just that it had Raiden Fighters style quick shot bonuses and a completely insane train stage. Anybody know what game I'm thinking of?
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

bsidwell wrote:I've been trying to remember the name of a doujin -- it's been a couple years so I don't remember much, just that it had Raiden Fighters style quick shot bonuses and a completely insane train stage. Anybody know what game I'm thinking of?
Sounds like Zen-Ichi!
Train Stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSykExeZDy8
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

That's the one, thanks.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Is Warashi still in business? What about Skonec?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'd hafta dig a bit to find the thread/s, but I believe that neither are with us any longer. :(
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

I noticed that the following games aren't in the high score board index. Anyone interested in having high score threads for any of these?

1945k III
G-Stream G2020
Explosive Breaker
Sonic Wings Limited
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

ilitirit wrote:Does anyone have a link to a 1CC vid of Zing Zing Zip?
This is the only one I know of: part 1, part 2
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Does G-Stream need a parent rom or something? When I tried to load it it says gstream.nv NOT FOUND. I'm trying to run it in MAMEUI32 0.140U2 if that matters.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

DocHauser wrote:I noticed that the following games aren't in the high score board index. Anyone interested in having high score threads for any of these?

1945k III
G-Stream G2020
Explosive Breaker
Sonic Wings Limited
I didn't realize one didn't exist! I'll make one now :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

trap15 wrote:
DocHauser wrote:I noticed that the following games aren't in the high score board index. Anyone interested in having high score threads for any of these?

1945k III
G-Stream G2020
Explosive Breaker
Sonic Wings Limited
I didn't realize one didn't exist! I'll make one now :)
Thanks! I guess I'll have to post a score now... :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Here's one I've been wondering for a bit now, but I don't think anyone else has asked, at least recently...are there any "successful" videos of Mushi Futari players using Reco Abnormal, on any mode? I always got the impression that she could do stuff that the others couldn't if you knew what you were doing, but having to switch to her "unfocused" shot to precisely dodge anything (and in the process lose your beetles' lock-ons, which you then have to find an opportunity to reattach to do decent damage) is a tough pill to swallow. Do any skilled players use her at all, or is she basically considered useless?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

BulletMagnet wrote:Here's one I've been wondering for a bit now, but I don't think anyone else has asked, at least recently...are there any "successful" videos of Mushi Futari players using Reco Abnormal, on any mode? I always got the impression that she could do stuff that the others couldn't if you knew what you were doing, but having to switch to her "unfocused" shot to precisely dodge anything (and in the process lose your beetles' lock-ons, which you then have to find an opportunity to reattach to do decent damage) is a tough pill to swallow. Do any skilled players use her at all, or is she basically considered useless?
The person that 1ccd 1.01 has 1ccd ultra with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbz_m2W87mA

I don't know if their are any other good videos but I assume so.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ciox wrote:Did anyone else notice that Garegga has "boss only" versions of the stages included or is it just me?
It only has them for the first two levels unlike other Raizing games that have them for every level with a boss, but it's obvious that a Only Boss course was planned.
Explain?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:I just bought Dodonpachi Resurrection for the Xbox 360 and had a few questions.
1. How accurate is it as a port of the actual arcade cabinet. I am going to attempt to 1cc version 1.5 at Arcade UFO in Austin and I want to be sure that things on my console will perfectly match it in enemy locations, bullet patterns, slowdown, etc.
2. What is the easiest way for an American to purchase and download the Black Label dlc?
Well, the actual Dodonpachi Dai Fukkatsu version 1.5 PCB has this little niggle of having a 60fps framerate going on, then if it goes into slowdown mode, but the transition back to the regular 60fps framerate isn't as smooth as in Cave's previous arcade PCBs of yore (DDP, ESP.ra.de., etc.) and is quite jarring. It's been said that the SH-3 CPU that powers up a typical DDP-DFK version 1.5 PCB tends to get bogged down with everything going on at the same time (including the kitchen sink thrown at the player for good measure), it just gets chuggy at times with absolutely no warning/hint to the player that the framerate is about to ramp up (leading to possible sudden deaths and cursing). The 360 port has all the slowdown spots in place and is better than the PCB version to be honest (in terms of slow down issues). Now if Cave had more development time to fix this framerate issue, I'm it would've been resolved with the PCB version but alas, it's still present on the DFK version 1.5 PCBs.

If you have an JPN region 360 console, buy some JPN MS points and you can download the Black Label dlc to play the BL version at your leisure. Easy as pie.

DFK 1.5 PCB Factoid: It's interesting to learn that with a DFK 1.5 PCB, it sports four buttons whereas with an SDOJ PCB, it only has three buttons to utilize.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Does the heroine in Rayforce have a canonical name?

*edit*

Another question. A long time ago, I think the guy who ran the shootthecore database had a youtube channel called ShmupNut or something. I remember one time he showcased this doujin horizontally scrolling, bullet hell-ish shooter which had a true final stage in which the game gives you a "game.exe has stopped working" and then you fly into the games code or something and fight a final boss who shooters letters and code at you as well as bullets. Anyone know the name of this game?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Can someone please explain the differences between PSX Gekioh Shooting King, PSX Shienryu and Saturn Shienryu. Trying to find definitive info on why all these versions exist and how they differ is mind boggling! I can't tell which are re-releases (Best ofs) either.

Thanks in advance.

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Skykid wrote:Can someone please explain the differences between PSX Gekioh Shooting King, PSX Shienryu and Saturn Shienryu. Trying to find definitive info on why all these versions exist and how they differ is mind boggling! I can't tell which are re-releases (Best ofs) either.
To the best of my knowledge, Shienryu on the Saturn is the most "arcade accurate" of the bunch (and saves high scores), but includes only the base game. The PS1 version (which, IIRC, was localized as "Geki-Oh Shooting King") has a bunch of other modes in it (most are silly graphical reskins, but a few are kinda interesting), though it also suffers from some increased slowdown (and, at least in the US release, doesn't save high scores). To top all that off, there's also the "Double Shienryu" budget release on the PS2, which packages the game (which is pretty close to the arcade original, but again doesn't save scores) with pseudo-sequel "Shienryu Explosion" (which was released in Europe as "Steel Dragon EX", though supposedly it's a pretty poor localization).

As always, someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

EDIT: @ Fritz, thanks for that video, it was a nail-biter from beginning to end. That dude must be using a joystick carved from dragon bones and blessed with a supernaturally short throw by the earth goddess or something.