The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Ed Oscuro »

louisg wrote:non-functioning water
But it still serves as an Anti-Hero Moat, correct? I think I'm going to go drink some right now.

Risky Woods has a terrible name but I recall it was pretty competent, if the usual PC style platformer without any ambition is your thing.

Kenseiden I need to try out still 8) Another worthwhile SMS game is Golvellius (haven't gone in far myself), and some other worthwhile picks are - for Castlevania-alikes, Bram Stoker's Dracula (maybe) and Master of Darkness, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. The Flash looks interesting. I ran across this article which serves as a reminder that the SMS has some games few people remember - not only a port of the original WonderBoy, but also Cloud Master (Chuuka Taisen) and even The NewZealand Story!
louisg

Post by louisg »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
louisg wrote:non-functioning water
But it still serves as an Anti-Hero Moat, correct? I think I'm going to go drink some right now.

Risky Woods has a terrible name but I recall it was pretty competent, if the usual PC style platformer without any ambition is your thing.
No, if I'm remembering correctly, you can stand on the water like it's pavement.

Risky Woods I remember being pretty cool, at least in the art and music department. IIRC it's by the Biomechanical Toy people.
Humans, think about what you have done
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

This just in:

The Flash - LOTS going on but doesn't feel right. By Probe. I don't like Probe's platformers, even if they are technically or artistically competent. Also, the entire level (which is supposed to be a street scene) enclosed in a box of bricks.

Kenseiden - I realize why I didn't play this game a lot before - I don't know what to do in the second area!

Master of Darkness - This isn't Castlevania. This isn't even close. Also, lol @ Dracula talking about "my Jack the Ripper!" Not using many savestates but there is a difficulty spike in the Wax Figure museum. Horrible weapon system. You get your first feel for it after picking up the first weapon in the game - which is almost the best overall, then you find more later on which are worse. (Foil seems to do half damage of the cane or sledge or whatever it is; knife does far less damage; axe does double the damage of the cane or whatever that thing is.) Haven't been using the subweapons. They seem clumsy and bad. Too many items placed throughout areas so that you need leaps of faith, but my biggest pet peeve - aside from the often undetailed levels, and is this London, or Venice? - is the relative awkwardness of just getting on and off stairs. In many respects it feels like this game is a development of the NES originals (not an improvement) in terms of more features, and slightly more detailed visuals (as given from the system it's running on), but nowhere near a patch on any of the SNES titles (of course).

Bram Stoker's Dracula - terrible. Psygnosis. Hmm...British company famed then and after for well-realized visuals and well-executed unusual game engine concepts, TERRIBLE platformers.

But apparently the Dizzy game on SMS doesn't follow that pattern. Don't see how you can fuck up a collectathon starring a walking egg, though.

FWIW I was rather underwhelmed by Quickshot and the early "...of Illusion" games. World of Illusion looks nice though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I got a lovely copy of Castle of Illusion (JP MD) recently - I don't really do cutesy console platformers outside of the SFC Marios, but the obvious effort that went into reproducing the classic Disney look in early MD-vision and more importantly the sublimely satisfying ass-bounce and considerable challenge of Hard mode earned it a place on my shelf. That and I've always found a bit of novelty in owning Western-licensed Japanese games in their native format.

Unfortunately the second boss is a snoozer, where the others are quite good, and one of Mickey's idle frames gives him an unnvervingly glassy-eyed Glasgow smile (specifically the one that's displayed at the game's title). Other than that I'm quite fond of it. It's one of the few MD games in my collection that's not of the explodey action kind, come to think of it. Unless we count Rocket Knight or Dynamite Headdy, but even they have a firm emphasis on Breaking Stuff, often by impaling on a rocket-driven sword in the former's case. With the MD's lower colour palette and faster processor, increased violence is the only logical answer!

Hold down-forward when jumping for INSTANT ASS BOUNCE ATTACK, very useful when you need to bring dat ass ASAP! Say, when bouncing on the second stage's killer clowns before they can shove a rubber ball up Mickey's tailpipe.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well, I just spent way too long "clearing" Golden Axe III. :/ (I don't know if The Pumaman is considered broken, but I was pretty much only playing to see how bad the graphics could get). Favourite bit:

Hey, that's (starting to be) more like it.

Really poor production with the hint of a decent engine in there (move inputs have the right degree of lenience and collision feels good), but absolutely no level design or charm supporting it. The first two MD games are hardly the apex of beltscrolling violence even on the platform, but they at least have simple "foil the heatseeker AI" fun, willfully brisk pacing and that neat Harryhausen vibe. It's sad how little love this game got from Sega compared to the MD's other latter-day franchise sequels.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BIL wrote:but I was pretty much only playing to see how bad the graphics could get). Favourite bit:
Lamenting the lack of rope and barrels? What do you expect of beat 'em up ship decks, BIL??
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now, that may look like a fruitcake amusement park pirate ship, since it is. But how about a rotting, barnacle-encrusted, kelp-overrun ghost ship traversing an ominous fog full of skeletons, ghosts and sea monsters?
Last edited by BIL on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

^Truth. Golden Axe 3 is pretty bland, but I still dig it, mainly just for the amount of anthropomorphism involved and the fantasy. I think the saddest thing about that game is the Jaguar/Panther/feline "fog" special attack. I dug the giant carriage battle and the branching pathways if I recall correctly.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh god yeah, I took a snap of Pumaman's "tv snow" attack too. WTF. And it even makes the MD clanging sound! >_<

I think it was the soundtrack that kept me going, some surprisingly good tunes in there.

Now Revenge of Death Adder, that's the REAL 80s SWORD & SORCERY SIMULATOR.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:The Pumaman
Donald Pleasance has taken control of your powers now...your MIND...YOUR THREAD!

and rastan saga 3 never got any kind of port at all (I don't think whatever that thing on GC is qualifies)
although the first Olde Cobble Town pic could be ripped right out of Cross Blades, totally :wink:
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Ed Oscuro wrote: and rastan saga 3 never got any kind of port at all (I don't think whatever that thing on GC is qualifies)
although the first Olde Cobble Town pic could be ripped right out of Cross Blades, totally :wink:
No but it did get emulated on Taito Memories. It also makes up for how bad Rastan Saga II was, arcade or Genesis (and I'm a big Taito fan).

It's a shame the Genesis never got a Parodius or Twinbee game, I always wondered ow the ports would've come out.
greg

Post by greg »

He's Pumaman! He flies like a moron...
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Ranger-X/Ex-Ranza is probably one of the best mech games on the Genny. I love how stage 2 has that sunlight gimmick where you have to blow open holes in the ceiling to recharge your special weapon. It's kind of tough at times though and I want to reach that level where you can combine with the jet.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Zeether wrote:Ranger-X/Ex-Ranza is probably one of the best mech games on the Genny. I love how stage 2 has that sunlight gimmick where you have to blow open holes in the ceiling to recharge your special weapon. It's kind of tough at times though and I want to reach that level where you can combine with the jet.
It is one of my favorite Genesis games, and it actually uses a 6 button controller for things. You don't need the 6 button controller, but it uses it.

and those graphics
Some of the prettiest "almost-3D" things I've seen on the Genesis. Cool levels, good music, it's excellent. I actually wondered how the sunlight thing worked, because the Genesis has no transparency, and then I remembered about the shadow/highlight modes the VDP has.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also well-employed by Vampire Killer to create the strobing shadow effect in Versailles Palace's entrance hall.

In Ex-Ranza's second stage, the sunlight will actually block off and kill those annoying tadpole things too. I'm especially fond of the third stage's natural-feeling division into light and dark halves via the forest canopy. Great feeling, alternating between carpet-bombing the heavy opposition and target generators below and zipping into the blue sky for more juice. Ranza's one-half of why I had to get into the MD, the other being Assault Suit Leynos. Two very charming, idiosyncratic mecha sidescrollers like nothing anywhere else.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

BIL wrote:Well, I just spent way too long "clearing" Golden Axe III. :/ (I don't know if The Pumaman is considered broken, but I was pretty much only playing to see how bad the graphics could get). Favourite bit:

Hey, that's (starting to be) more like it.

Really poor production with the hint of a decent engine in there (move inputs have the right degree of lenience and collision feels good), but absolutely no level design or charm supporting it. The first two MD games are hardly the apex of beltscrolling violence even on the platform, but they at least have simple "foil the heatseeker AI" fun, willfully brisk pacing and that neat Harryhausen vibe. It's sad how little love this game got from Sega compared to the MD's other latter-day franchise sequels.
Golden Axe III is better than II. I like the snail monster things - they look rad as hell.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

Can't agree at the moment - I've been playing GAII on hard and really liking its minor but useful improvements. Being able to aim thrown enemies and have them knock down other baddies introduces a nice crowd control aspect, and with throwing's invincible frames available on tap after the first hit, it allows more aggressive and stylish action - interrupting a combo to toss a battered thug into his backup, killing him and finishing the rest of the pile with a diving stab is a much cooler option than GAIII's blocking. The AI is just as persistently backstabbing as the original's, but now there's regularly four or more enemies onscreen, a lot in a game with limited room-clearing attacks. In that regard selectable magic level is a welcome improvement over all-or-nothing. And the steeds' charging attacks now mow down as many enemies as you can get lined up instead of stopping dead at the first, for more crowd control and more importantly a better sense of running motherfuckers over with a chicken the size of a horse.

Been a pretty good challenge so far. By contrast I cleared GAIII on hard within a couple hours' serious play - again I don't know if Pumaman is just really cheesy (I only picked him because he looked cool!), but I tried out the wrestler ex-slave guy (also looked cool) and his diving air attacks seemed pretty abusive too. :/ I don't consider the first two games exceptional, but they do at least put up a mean backstabbing Ray Harryhausen-tinged fight.

Losing the original port's death shrieks for "bleh!" sucks, but then even the first failed to use the arcade / R.O.D.A's classic OTT howls. Most notably the strangled "Aww GAAAWWWD!" that lets you know something vital got punctured. GAII has some great tunes too, like every other beltscroller in the series.

Maybe the two human characters play a bit more evenly in GAIII? I hate Zombie Revenge unless I'm using the metal-faced Japanese guy in his alternate and very suave costume, then I fn' love it. I was a bit dismayed by the Amazon's terribly-animated boot to the jaw, though. If there's one thing I expect from Golden Axe it's to kick a skeleton's teeth in convincingly.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

null1024 wrote: It is one of my favorite Genesis games, and it actually uses a 6 button controller for things. You don't need the 6 button controller, but it uses it.
Whoa, really? Does it use them for selecting special weapons or something?
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I know it uses the X and Z buttons to call your Ex-Up/vehicle.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep, that's it basically - X and Z let you control Ex-Up's horizontal movement, Y lets you cycle back through subweapons when mounted (useful late in the game, when you're packing quite an arsenal and things are hectic). Since the bike can't take damage unless you're riding in it, it can be useful to send it ahead to deal with hostiles while you stay behind cover, then recall it to get something you need out of the trunk, like a flamethrower or laser cannon.

Such a cool game. I'd say it's a shame there was no Saturn followup, but as with the PS1's Silent Bomber it realises its concept so well, it's hard to feel unsatisfied.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

BIL wrote: Image
Which movie is that? Must watch!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

You should watch The Pumaman instead.

Also, I have to agree with BIL about Golden Axe II being good. Sure it looks uglier and grittier than 1, but it actually has some good stuff. When I first got a cartridge I noticed right away that the extra mode was just as good as Golden Axe 1's battle mode. Definitely something of an unsung gem, all because of its graphics. GA III seems unfortunately to try to go in the other direction. It's too bad they didn't release a GAIV which smashes together some of the better changes of each version for something more pleasing for all needs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

@ Friendly, it's the "choking scene" from Basket Case 3. I have no idea how I even got linked to it (never seen the movie) but I instantly knew that guy's strangled scream of "OHHH JESUS GAAAWWWD! needed to be immortalised for message board use!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The Basket Case movies are allegories about developers who make good-looking games but then haplessly use them to murder expectations of good play.
Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

BIL wrote:@ Friendly, it's the "choking scene" from Basket Case 3. I have no idea how I even got linked to it (never seen the movie) but I instantly knew that guy's strangled scream of "OHHH JESUS GAAAWWWD! needed to be immortalised for message board use!
Thanks. I watched the first one, I suppose that was more than enough.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wish I knew how to draw Mega Man-esque sprites. Puma Man would be a good fit. :)

I played a bit of Golden Axe III in the Sega Vintage Collection for 360. I actually like it. I like how the female character looks like she can kick butt and delivers.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I like all these Basket Case references. The third one is the only one I haven't seen. Let's all get together and watch it and play Golden Axe III.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Man, Ex-Ranza. Been too long. <333 this game, so many tiny details in both its mechanics and presentation, and it packs a ton of control into a pad and six buttons. FWIW you can control Ex-Up's movement by crouching and hitting db/df, but it's so much better to have free reign for stuff like this:

Yes, if you're up against something bipedal and roughly your size, consider kicking it in the face or straight-up vehicular assault and battery. Works when you're in the air too! Very useful when you need time, space or both. Or just if something's occupying a ledge you want to be on. Boot 'em away and blast the fuck out of their floundering hull!
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

BIL wrote:Man, Ex-Ranza. Been too long. <333 this game, so many tiny details in both its mechanics and presentation, and it packs a ton of control into a pad and six buttons. FWIW you can control Ex-Up's movement by crouching and hitting db/df, but it's so much better to have free reign for stuff like this:
Love it so much as well, like you said so many tiny details. And I love how all the graphical details actually come into play. Like the cave level and under the forest, you actually get to see the sunlight charging the little solar-cell fin things on the main mech's back. Also has one of my favorite 'super weapons' in any game. Charging the proton cannon and having it kick you back through half the level is pretty crazy.
Ed Oscuro wrote:This just in:
The Flash - LOTS going on but doesn't feel right. By Probe. I don't like Probe's platformers, even if they are technically or artistically competent. Also, the entire level (which is supposed to be a street scene) enclosed in a box of bricks.
Wow, never heard of that one. It definitely doesn't look good. Did you like Probe's take on Alien 3?
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

I'm gonna pick up wunna dem 4:3 rear projection TVs very soon, for a steal. 109 cm of flat screen, fat-ass scanline goodness to feed my Mega Drive's RGB signal.

I've already tested the unit and it's goodbye 80cm Panasonic direct view CRT let me tell you.

Anyway, personal blog entry over. I've been playing the Splatter House games. The Japanese Part 3 is a nicely balanced 'survival horror' beat 'em up that demands strategic use of the transformation into Super Rick to get all the one ups and still beat the time limit.

I particularly like using the breeze block to mow thru enemies without losing it to one of those thieving spirits, to the point where you can carry it all the way to a boss. The cleaver and machette impressed me with weapon specific death animations on some of the more common enemies, you literally cleave those evil mutated pricks in half when rocking one of these babies 8)

Splatter House 2 seems to edge out Part 3 in terms of atmosphere though, the music in particular is freakin' outstanding.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz