Darius II (new thread)

ChainsawGuitarSP

Darius II (new thread)

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

I'll gladly take over for the old thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 56&start=0

Sagaia, the PCB is vastly different compared to Darius II unlike the MD localization. Scores are now in separate tables as a result.
I will also stop adding any new scores unless you're above the top 8 encourage competition. Tiat Young is not allowed in the MD conversions. You are free to tune up the difficulty level however, since it only speeds up the game. Obviously this does not apply to the arcade versions. Good luck! and have fun.

Post in this format, yo:

Code: Select all

Name - Score - Route taken - Version used
Arcade

1. Smraedis - 3,403,920 - ABDHMRW (ALL) - MAME
2. CIT - 3,196,980 - ABEHMSY (ALL) - SAT
3. Kollision - 3,143,890 - ABEINTY (ALL) - SAT
4. Javel - 2,516,550 - ABEHMRW - MAME
5. PlasmaBlooD - 2,508,990 - ABEHM - SAT
6. Mero - 2,492,270 - ABDGKQ - PS2
7. EmperorIng - 2,386,340 - ABEIMR - MAME (Autofire)
8. Bloodreign - 1,744,810- ACEHL - SAT
Mega Drive

1. incognoscente - 6,809,950 - All Clear V
2. REDSUN - 6.790.300 - ABEINTZ - All Clear Z
3. Kollision - 6,789,590 - All Clear Z
4. THE ALLETT - 6,742,330 - All Clear V
5. PlasmaBlooD - 6,729,530 - All Clear Z
6. Despatche - 6,677,170 - ABDGKPV (ALL)
7. YOG - 6,626,290 - ACFINSX - All Clear X
8. Redsun - 6,453,970 - All clear Y
Arcade (Sagaia ver.)

1. petieken - 1,083,720 - ABDG - PCB
PCE-CD

1. YOG - 2,751,100 - ACFJNTZ (ALL)
Last edited by ChainsawGuitarSP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 am, edited 23 times in total.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Despatche

Re: Darius II (new thread)

Post by Despatche »

PlasmaBlooD's MD score was done with Tiat Young. incognoscente also has a higher score with that ship, posted in the old thread.

scores that don't have routes should be b-b-b-banned
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ChainsawGuitarSP

... So what you want me to do is wipe out the MD scoreboard until someone comes in and recalls their route? and break the defaults only rule by adding in hi scores with Young?
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Hmmmm.....
Doesn't Tiat Young start the game with one more power-up level than Proco Jr.?
At least in the MD port I recall this was the case.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Something like that.

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:... So what you want me to do is wipe out the MD scoreboard until someone comes in and recalls their route? and break the defaults only rule by adding in hi scores with Young?
For what it's worth, my route for these scores was ABDGKPV. PlasmaBlooD's 6,802,260 score used the same route (confirmed from his video). For the MegaDrive version, that is possibly the highest scoring route. (Back when I was playing it, I took notes on how many points I could get and how far I could milk the bosses in all stages. The ABDGKPV route and one along the bottom had the highest totals.)

As for breaking the defaults rule, DC906270's thread made no such stipulation. He counted PlasmaBlooD's score, even though it was done with Tiat Young. Having a noncompliant score is one of the perils of changing rules when copying scoreboards.

Me, I'm not much bothered about these things. I'm providing details in case you want to change things in future. It's your high score thread. :)

Despatche wrote:scores that don't have routes should be b-b-b-banned
I think it was a "When in Rome..." thing that happened in the previous thread. Or maybe I was teasing PlasmaBlooD. Hard to remember.
javel

Post by javel »

Arcade/No auto:
Javel - 2,516,550 - ABEHMRW - MAME
ChainsawGuitarSP

Added. I would also like to use this post to point out 2 new rules I've added to the OP.
the allett

Post by the allett »

M.D Darius II

THE ALLETT - 6,742,330 - All Clear V
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD - 1,905,100 - Zone M (ABEHM) - SAT

Nice to play with 60 Sharp Aquos :D
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD - 2,508,990 - Zone M (ABEHM) - SAT
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

EmperorIng - 2,386,340 - ABEIMR - MAME (Autofire)

I lost my life on the Earth stage, and I think if I had gotten a shield on the Mars stage, I would have made it to that final stage. Not a bad run, really, and i surprised myself by actually surviving past losing my life. Several times I thought I was a goner after losing my shield (on Venus, and on the moon), but I pulled through and got a respectable, though not especially-great score.
Keep at it, silver hawk pilots!

PS. Fuck Grand Octopus, that fucking piece of shit of a penultimate boss. This guy's been a fuckin' thorn in my dick for over 2 years now.
2nd-worse Darius boss ever. 1st place goes to Fatty Glutton. Fuck both of them, to hell and back.
ChainsawGuitarSP

If Fatty Glutton is still giving you trouble I suggest trying the Extra version of Darius since he's got much less health there and the gameplay is slightly faster so you have a more lenient reaction time. Absolute Defender is the biggest prick of them all when you don't have any slowdown to help react better to randomly ordered patterns...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I might have to give that a try. Doesn't Extra have more bosses?

I've been playing more today, but if you play too much Darius II, I think you might have an aneurysm from playing too much. This game has always found a way to piss me off, hard, in ways that even Darius can't manage. And that's entirely due to the bullshit death penalties, that not even Darius had!

But I still keep on playing. Because I have brain damage.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Only the PCE ports added extra bosses, and are worth checking out too. Extra version is purely an update with better balance towards difficulty and scoring, and is much better than the original. I'll be honest, I much prefer the MD version of Darius II. As cool as it was, this game's Silver Hawk doesn't work so well with the 3-screen gimmick as much as the other one. >_>
:::Redsun:::

Post by :::Redsun::: »

REDSUN - 6.790.300 - ABEINTZ - MD - All Clear Z

I made a new route.
Interestingly I'm remembering the good times
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

EmperorIng wrote: PS. Fuck Grand Octopus, that fucking piece of shit of a penultimate boss. This guy's been a fuckin' thorn in my dick for over 2 years now.
Haha, I know what you mean! I was just playing the MD version and thought I was well on my way to one-lifing it on my first go*, but I got killed by Grand Octopus as soon as he appeared and just couldn't recover from it. The bullets spewed out by the mini octopuses were easy enough to dodge, but I was taking so long to kill him that I ended up losing some lives to the homing "hurry up" enemies. I wasn't even certain which part of him was vulnerable - I was doing damage pretty sporadically...

Sorry for the scoreless bump, BTW. I'll definitely rectify this soon!

*not my first go ever, but my first go since I bought my own copy (which, delightfully, came wrapped in a few pages of some Japanese newspaper that I really wish I could read). :P
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

YOG - 6,626,290 - ACFINSX - MD - All Clear X

Tried a new route, got Red Crab instead of Grand Octopus. Pushover!

(Crappy pic.)

Edit: updated with slightly improved score.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Aaaaand, off the board I go. That's interesting that Grand Octopus is considered one of the harder stage 6 bosses, I found him to be much easier than Red Crab. If you're fully powered up you can actually safe spot him just by sitting in front of his tentacles. Though without video proof to pinpoint where, I guess this advice is useless.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Oh aye, I'm sure there's a totally easy way. He's the only guy who's killed me so far, though! :P I might try a few different routes and see if the harder ones yield more points...

BTW, will you be accepting Super Darius II scores, or is there another thread for those?
ChainsawGuitarSP

I had a score table set up for Sagaia SMS and Super Darius II but took them down because I didn't think anyone would be playing those variants. You're more than welcome to post scores from all versions.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Excellent, thanks!

Edit: here we go, then. A Super Darius II score:

YOG - 2,751,100 - ACFJNTZ (ALL)

Took a couple of refresher runs to get this down - Leadain caught me out really badly on my first go. I bought the original disc recently, but am having to play it in Magic Engine at the moment (busted Duo). I'm actually kind of kicking myself about this purchase - I knew ten years ago I pretty much hated this version of the game, but I saw it going for £30 and thought I'd add it to my collection anyway. I can't afford it and don't like it, so I might as well get at least one score out of it, eh? :P
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Mega Drive
Despatche - 6,677,170 - ABDGKPV (ALL) - Fusion

meh
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So for the Saturn version, can we use the Auto-On setting (the cheat is C R Left Down I believe - if that doesn't work, the other is B Up Right Down) for scores? The default auto-fire in Darius II is painfully slow, as I am reminded today!

I got to the same zone and route as the score I posted up above, but died at Great Shell or whatever the Earth captain is.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Autofire is always allowed unless stated otherwise. It's pretty rare to find an arcade game from the 80's that's doable without it anyway.
UGO

Post by UGO »

Played in 2012 :

Very Hard difficulty :
UGO - 18,813,830 - ACFJOU - MD

Obtained a very high score! at F or J. Game Over at U.

L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

UGO wrote:Very Hard difficulty :
UGO - 18,813,830 - ACFJOU - MD
Holy shit, what's in Very Hard? :shock:
Special bonuses or something? Triple waves for everything?
UGO

Post by UGO »

Maybe this is possible in Normal difficulty too.
There is a sort of bug during the game but I don't know exactly how activate it.
During the game the scoring system and points work as usual. But at a specific moment the score become very very high. Then continue to get points as usual and so add few points to the furious score.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Well, I had heard about crazy high scores in MD Darius II before, but never really found out anything concrete about it....
Someone should record this somehow. :lol:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Score update!

EmperorIng - 2,759,980 - ABEINTZ - SAT (Autofire Code)

Autofire code increases the rate of fire - it's more or less analogous to using autofire on MAME. I thought I would mention it all the same though.

I was cocky and tried a zone I wasn't as familiar with, and while it wasn't too much a problem, Leadain is a decidedly tougher boss than Yamoto, mainly because it is harder to see the spikes coming out of him on a TV in the saturn port. :?

Then, of course, the mars stage screwed me over, leaving me defenseless for the final stage. So damn close...

I probably can have a 1CC of this game (2.5 years later) if I -really- try for it.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

saucykobold - 2,980,300 - ABDGKQW (ALL) - MAME

What a matter ... Darius inhabitants have been already ruined ......