Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skykid

Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Skykid »

Proactively saving forum bandwidth since 2013.

Use this thread to post questions like this, or "I'm trying to remember the name of a game that had a spaceship in it", "How do I get to input my initials in Akai Katana" etc.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

exquisite_torture

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by exquisite_torture »

BIOS wrote:ye it was me being a tard lol
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

One of my redneck not-good-at-describing-things family members claims to have seen a game similar in appearance and era to Galaga but involving upgrades that eventually made you the size of a boss. Does such a game actually exist *that was around that time* or are they getting Alzeimers?
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

BPzeBanshee wrote:One of my redneck not-good-at-describing-things family members claims to have seen a game similar in appearance and era to Galaga but involving upgrades that eventually made you the size of a boss. Does such a game actually exist *that was around that time* or are they getting Alzeimers?
Slap Fight maybe?
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Isn't it Moon Cresta? :roll:
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I'll check those both out. And yes, it really was a serious question, so don't roll your eyes at me just cuz i dnt liv in da 80s bru.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Good thread idea, I was actually going to make this myself after work :P
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

We had a thread like this sometime last year. Shame cause no one used it and it died after 3 pages.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

AntiFritz wrote:We had a thread like this sometime last year. Shame cause no one used it and it died after 3 pages.
That's cos new members think their questions have never been asked before, and end up creating a thread.

If it doesn't work, no big deal, worth a go. ;)

Someone should actually attempt to answer BPzeBanshee's question though:
One of my redneck not-good-at-describing-things family members claims to have seen a game similar in appearance and era to Galaga but involving upgrades that eventually made you the size of a boss. Does such a game actually exist *that was around that time* or are they getting Alzeimers?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Temia Eszteri

Post by Temia Eszteri »

May as well drop a shmup identification question in:

I'm trying to recall a shmup I played back in the early double-aughts - a circa-90s arcade vert involving what I recall were modern jets and helicopters or something to that effect, in a primarily techno-industrial setting (I don't recall seeing any greenery or even brownery in the stage backgrounds). Stage progression jumped between ridiculous numbers and I believe there was a fairly large variety of player ships available. That's all I can remember - does that ring any bells for anyone or has my memory decayed too far for the data to be useful?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Raiden Fighters Jet.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Speaking of Seibu SPI games, do you need to have a working battery on the motherboard to enter the test menu? I found a manual for my Viper Phase 1 board that talks about a test menu and the settings found there, however using a normal test button isn't working for me. There isn't a battery in it now so I probably can't save the settings anyway, so I'm wondering if that's the problem.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I have a question about the way the older Gradius games (1-3 I guess?) handle rank, would that go here or does it deserve it's own thread?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I have a question about the way the older Gradius games (1-3 I guess?) handle rank, would that go here or does it deserve it's own thread?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=867933 ?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Did anyone ever figure out how to do that score glitch in the older version of ESPrade? I remember zlk was offering a bounty for whoever caught it on video.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Squire Grooktook

Zaarock wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:I have a question about the way the older Gradius games (1-3 I guess?) handle rank, would that go here or does it deserve it's own thread?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=867933 ?
Well, my question is what Edmund asked, aka do Gradius 1 and 2 utilize the same system? Or are they different.

Also, does rank only reset on death, or does losing power ups lower rank. For example if I have 4 options and let the Option Stealer take them, will that decrease rank? Or if I lose my shield, will rank go back down?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Rank is constantly calculated; losing powerups, or switching shot type, or what-have-you, will lower the rank.

I'd imagine Gradius 1 and 2 use a similar, if not the same, rank system.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

INTERESTING, thank you.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Since this is here...

Can someone explain the differences between regions and/or versions of Lost/Forgotten Worlds? I've found references to a New/Old version of the Japanese release, and differences between the Lost and Forgotten Worlds releases. Supposedly one of them loops? Arcade version I guess, though if there's anything worth knowing about the console releases that would be good to know.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

What is wrong with the Thunder Dragon 2 announcer?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Skykid wrote:Someone should actually attempt to answer BPzeBanshee's question though:
Thanks for the support, although I think I may be onto something with the Moon Cresta suggestion. Showed a video to her and she reckons that was about right except the name seemed off, "it was like, Galaxy something".

I thought maybe Galaxian but I'm pretty sure there's nothing like Moon Cresta's mechanics in Galaxian, and Galaga's twin-ship mechanic didn't really fit the description. Probably a messed up memory of all of the above and a point to support getting a brain scan sooner than later. :P
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:What is wrong with the Thunder Dragon 2 announcer?
:lol:
Is that Namiki's voice?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nothing! What is wrong with you :lol:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

trap15 wrote:
Nothing! What is wrong with you :lol:
MJR

Post by MJR »

Jeneki wrote:Speaking of Seibu SPI games, do you need to have a working battery on the motherboard to enter the test menu? I found a manual for my Viper Phase 1 board that talks about a test menu and the settings found there, however using a normal test button isn't working for me. There isn't a battery in it now so I probably can't save the settings anyway, so I'm wondering if that's the problem.
I had to install service button to my jamma connector in order to access test menu for this particular PCB, and my board also saves highscores. So I think you answered your own question.
dark

Post by dark »

I think it's clear that Mars Matrix and Dodonpachi Daioujou used pre-rendered 3d graphics that were subsequently turned into low resolution sprites.

I'm a little unclear on Giga Wing 1 and regular Dodonpachi. The sprites look pretty detailed and glossy for hand drawn, but they don't quite have that pre-rendered 3d graphics look. Maybe it depends on which in-game sprites? The player ships in Giga Wing 1 don't look like hand drawn sprite art to me, but maybe I am just getting confused by the nonstandard sprite sizes of CPS2 games...
trap15

Post by trap15 »

DoDonPachi is almost exclusively (if not entirely), hand-drawn pixel art.

Giga Wing I believe is a mix of both.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Why isn't Gaplus more popular than Galaga? I think it's way better.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

'I thought this up while I was stoned out of my mind but what if "Gradius" was actually supposed to be called "Gladius"? It would make sense because isn't there a sword in the medical symbol. The gradius ship is like a snake from that symbol, getting rid of the infecting bacterions. So it's like its also a sword from that symbol.

It's crazy but I thought this was the perfect thread to put this into.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Why isn't Gaplus more popular than Galaga? I think it's way better.
It's the name. It sounds awful.
:P