Lightning Fighters / Trigon

Ed Oscuro

Lightning Fighters / Trigon

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Welcome to Trigon / Lightning Fighters High Scores, "Race to the WR" thread edition! This Toaplan homage from Konami saw release in May, 1990, just the month after Raiden. There are some differences between Lightning Fighters and Trigon, so you should specify which game you're playing (Trigon or Lightning Fighters) and how you're playing it (MAME or PCB), as well as autofire.

Rules: Play one credit through without continues, no cheats, play as player 1 for now (it doesn't appear one can play as the second player ship in a one-player game, but if playing as player 2 is fun enough, I might cover it somehow if the player 1 ship is never touched and allowed to die). A thread for discussing the game is here.

Please use the following format when submitting a score:

Code: Select all

Game (Lightning Fighters or Trigon)
Your Name & Score & Loop, Stage reached & Autofire & Version (PCB, MAME?)
TRIGON (Japan, May 1990 release)
R=# & Name & Score & Loop, Stage reached & Autofire status & Version played R=1 & Emuser & 2,357,550 & Stage 2-8 & Autofire off? & MAME? R=2 & DoubleThink & 555,770 & Stage 1-7 & Autofire [ON/3] & MAME

LIGHTNING FIGHTERS (World, 1990 release)
R=# & Name & Score & Loop, Stage reached & Autofire status & Version played R=1 & DEL & 725,710 & Stage 1-8 & No autofire & PCB

How do we stack up to the best? Here's the top scores for each region courtesy of NTSC-J (note some minor formatting differences to accommodate the forum's List feature):
R=Region & Name & Score & Stage R=World, autofire ON & 大学院中退記念@にょんにょん & 2,980,200 & ALL R=West, autofire ON & ResumeDPosition & 1,978,490 & ALL R=World, autofire OFF & AION-LSD[SP.]-Alpha & 2.724.560 & ALL
Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Emuser

Re: Lightning Fighters / Trigon

Post by Emuser »

I don't expect there to be too much competition at all in this thread or even submissions, but I will start recording inps soon since I'm beginning to inch closer to the non-autofire record in the STG Hall of Fame on this forum.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Lightning Fighters
DEL - 725,710 - ST8

I seriously have no clue as to how to negotiate the start of ST9 :?:
It stopped me cold when I gave this a few tries a few years ago.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I assume you mean the spam of ships on the start. Basically, you can either:

a. Bomb as soon as the first column of ships starts to appear if you managed to carry any over
b. Start from the middle, work your way to a side, press against the wall and up at the same time and shoot right when the "wall" row of ships will appear and sneak past the rest.

EDIT:
Just had a pretty good run here:
Image <--- score at the end of loop 1

Image <--- asshole boss a.k.a. TLB, and shout-outs to the massive rage credits in the corner. I will take a snapshot later of what it looks like mid-battle in 2-8 later on.

2-8 1st boss is the TLB I don't care how much of a badass you are, you are not going to beat this fucker in the loop unless you suicide to drop rank or have 2 bombs and can still dodge despite your dragon laser covering the boss. I had absolutely no luck in getting a 1up to appear which really sucks.

I think that getting to 2.98M is a test in luck and patience since I realized that it is possible to get 1ups wherever blue 1000 point ship groups can appear, and can get 1ups repeatedly if you keep dropping to your last life.

Emuser - 2,357,550 - 2-8 - Autofire - Mame

I still need to experiment and now need to figure out if it is indeed possible to get lucky enough to get repeated 1ups in the 2nd loop and abuse it to get some good points somewhere.
Last edited by Emuser on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Off to a good start! Thanks for the scores guys!

If you get a chance, please review my entries here because there are some details I'd like for posterity, if you'd like them to be recorded.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Quick credit after I reminded myself where to bomb:

DoubleThink - 416,560 - 1-5 - Autofire (4) - MAME

Found another trick too. Picking up the S weapon will increase the number of shots allowed on screen, but only as long as the fire button remains held down (visible here, in fact). Letting off the fire will set it back to 3. Moreover, the limit boost changes based on the current power level. Including the base level (counted as level zero), there are five levels of power, and the shot limit changes in a pattern of 3-4-!6!-4-3, giving a huge power/reliability boost to level three and especially level two compared to max power.
Last edited by Nifty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Which game?

Also, hmm, that makes sense. I think you mean not that the button is held down, but rather so long as autofire remains engaged? It's rapid tapping, as far as the original PCB is aware, because S weapon doesn't refire automatically like the Vulcan. Very interesting trick though, thanks!
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Which game?
Oh whoops, Trigon
Ed Oscuro wrote:I think you mean not that the button is held down, but rather so long as autofire remains engaged? It's rapid tapping, as far as the original PCB is aware, because S weapon doesn't refire automatically like the Vulcan.
Right right. This makes it weirder actually, because it means that the game is waiting for a certain size input gap before it resets. Also I miscounted, the shot limit for level two is actually 6, twice that of the base level! (Updated my last post to reflect this.)

Have this too (Trigon):
DoubleThink & 555,770 & 1-7 & Autofire (3) & MAME
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I figured it was Trigon but just wanted to make sure. I quoted your post in the discussion thread so I'll go edit that now.

Thanks for the information!
DEL

Post by DEL »

Ed - To complete my info, I was playing LIGHTNING FIGHTERS (World, 1990 release) PCB with NO Autofire.

ResumeDPosition wrote;
I assume you mean the spam of ships on the start. Basically, you can either:

a. Bomb as soon as the first column of ships starts to appear if you managed to carry any over
b. Start from the middle, work your way to a side, press against the wall and up at the same time and shoot right when the "wall" row of ships will appear and sneak past the rest.
Many thanks for that advice and yes indeed its the spam of ships at the start of ST9 that had me flummoxed.
I'll try it next time I fire-up my supergun 8)
Congrats on the Big Scoar :!:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Fixed that up for you, thanks!