ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
bkk

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (15.09.10 - st6+7 edits)

Post by bkk »

dinosaurjerk wrote:can someone post a shmupmame 3.0b compatible savestate at the title screen or character selet screen with the Mahou characters enabled? 3.0b seems to want to work on my computer now for some reason ? but the code isn't working, unless i'm doing it wrong [which i might be, i'm raeallly stupid] iirc it's up up down down left right left right button 1 2 3 after you instert a coin?
You might be hitting some player 2 buttons, try remapping them.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

In stage 4, how do you deal with those red ground vehicles that shoot both grey needles and yellow bullets everywhere?

I realize that the needle pattern is aimed, but still, just the sheer amount of crap they put on screen really trips me up.

I'm using Gain, if it makes a difference.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

As Golden Bat, I usually just try to save up enough bombs to bomb them, and dodge any remaining bullets until they die. >_>

As a bonus, the bomb also blows up those houses with medals, so it's pretty much the best thing to do there I think.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Yeah, as Gain, the bomb doesn't seem to quite be enough to take them down. Either that, or I'm using too many fragments on the pipes and medal crates.

Another question:
People say that chaining the first 4 stages is "free", but I keep running into situations like I did at 2:35 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3nq_-g ... e=youtu.be

where my options are either:
1. Run into a bullet
2. Go up and around the bullets, end up over the medal
3. Not even try to catch the medal.

What am I doing wrong that's causing this?

(Also, I've got to find a better way of dealing with the stage 3 boss; my method has magically stopped working.)

EDIT:
Ok, now I'm really confused:
I just watched a Gain superplay to see how a good player gets past that section... and he bombs it with Gain, with only a few fragments, and they both die. WTF?
dinosaurjerk

Post by dinosaurjerk »

bkk wrote:
You might be hitting some player 2 buttons, try remapping them.
oh yeah that fixed it. i use xpadder since older versions of mame don't support 360 controllers and never even looked at the 2nd player buttons :oops:
RIP TEAM FORKS AND MY AMAZING 18TH PLACE SHMUP PLACING, BUT I'M LEAVING THE SIG IMAGE ANYWAY
oops my sig imagine got replaced with an itunes ad
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I hate to keep spamming this thread, but a couple more questions:

1. End of stage 2 with the two big planes with twin vulcans, is there a consistent way to do this without dropping? If I try to take down their guns first, then they're much too low on the screen by the time I can actually kill the wings, and if I just try to kill the wings, then I can't always misdirect the streams fast enough to catch the medal before it falls off the screen.

2. On the suicide at the start of stage 2, frequently I kill an enemy with the blast that drops a medal in an inaccessible location. Is there any way to prevent this?

EDIT:

3. How the everliving FUCK are you supposed to deal with the "rocket tank" in stage 2? Seriously, that thing in the last 10 credits has a 100% "medal drop or death" rate for me. Between the point blanking from the bottom of the screen, the fact that you're walled, the popcorn dropping shit on either end, I have absolutely no clue what can be done about this.

4. Stage 3 tank extend, how do you time the kill? I can't see any sign of how much damage I've done, so I always end up either with the tank on the square but unable to kill it before it scrolls off, or killing it early.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Obscura wrote: 1. End of stage 2 with the two big planes with twin vulcans, is there a consistent way to do this without dropping? If I try to take down their guns first, then they're much too low on the screen by the time I can actually kill the wings, and if I just try to kill the wings, then I can't always misdirect the streams fast enough to catch the medal before it falls off the screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jh6XFBhfjY 1:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_3J2w8cAg 03:48
Obscura wrote: 2. On the suicide at the start of stage 2, frequently I kill an enemy with the blast that drops a medal in an inaccessible location. Is there any way to prevent this?
Make sure that there is not a medal spawning when you suicide. If you have a medal coming up, kill a popcorn to get the medal before suiciding.
Very simple.
Obscura wrote: 3. How the everliving FUCK are you supposed to deal with the "rocket tank" in stage 2? Seriously, that thing in the last 10 credits has a 100% "medal drop or death" rate for me. Between the point blanking from the bottom of the screen, the fact that you're walled, the popcorn dropping shit on either end, I have absolutely no clue what can be done about this.
The safest way is to lie on top of him when he rushes down from the top of the screen and just seal all his bullets.
You could bomb too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_3J2w8cAg 03:25
Super simple.
Obscura wrote: 4. Stage 3 tank extend, how do you time the kill? I can't see any sign of how much damage I've done, so I always end up either with the tank on the square but unable to kill it before it scrolls off, or killing it early.
Destroy both side parts first. When that is done deal some damage to one of the side parts. You have to get a feel for how much you need to shoot it since this is affected by rank.
Higher rank = higher HP
When you feel like you've done enough damage, wait until it scrolls to the "square", then fire at the previously weakened side part for instant win.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Eaglet wrote: Destroy both side parts first. When that is done deal some damage to one of the side parts. You have to get a feel for how much you need to shoot it since this is affected by rank.
Higher rank = higher HP
When you feel like you've done enough damage, wait until it scrolls to the "square", then fire at the previously weakened side part for instant win.
Does this mean that each of his three sections has its own health, and that doing enough damage to one section will cause him to blow up?

If so, wow, that's very different from how I thought he worked.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Obscura wrote: Does this mean that each of his three sections has its own health, and that doing enough damage to one section will cause him to blow up?
That's exactly how it is. :)
Just remember that both side parts have to be completely destroyed (looking blown up) in order to trigger the extend.
The main turret can be left alive (unless you like getting that spinning spread shot fired at you).
Image Image
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Eaglet wrote:
Obscura wrote: Does this mean that each of his three sections has its own health, and that doing enough damage to one section will cause him to blow up?
That's exactly how it is. :)
Just remember that both side parts have to be completely destroyed (looking blown up) in order to trigger the extend.
The main turret can be left alive (unless you like getting that spinning spread shot fired at you).
This explains so much; I thought that you had to blow up both of the side sections, but then had to do critical damage to the center. No wonder I was finding it so hard to get the kill.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Another question:

How do overlapping Gain bombs work with respect to flamingo scoring?

Watching the Kamui T3 superplay, it looks like she's willing to drop one right on top of another, but when I try that, it pretty much fucks my flamingo score, because it seems like the second bomb isn't counting. Did I just get unlucky when this happened, or do bombs only count once for flamingos, or is there something I don't know?
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

This is probably beyond retarded, but could someone link me or explain to me why stage 4 is so ridiculously hard? I mean I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I have to fight like 4 bosses in a row and I can never beat the last one. Am I triggering something that is giving me extra bosses or is this just normal fare? I don't remember having to do this much work so early.
RIP in peaces mjclark and Estebang
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

What on earth?

I've never seen more than one boss at the end of stage 4.

Unless you're playing the weird western version that has the Cloud stage (usually stage 5) as the 4th stage. In which case, the problem is that you're not playing the Japanese version, and you need to switch to the correct version.
Bee Cool

Post by Bee Cool »

That's exactly it, I thought I was going crazy.

Edit: Alright, here's why it happened. I haven't been able to run shmupmame 3, so I never changed any of the dipswitches. I hadn't played garegga in a while and I was beginning to wonder why I liked the game what with me getting wrecked on that stage over and over.
RIP in peaces mjclark and Estebang
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Watching the Kamui T3 superplay, it looks like she's willing to drop one right on top of another, but when I try that, it pretty much fucks my flamingo score, because it seems like the second bomb isn't counting. Did I just get unlucky when this happened, or do bombs only count once for flamingos, or is there something I don't know?
Since there's not enough time for that section to drop the bombs one after another, his bombs overlap. It doesn't have any negative effect on the scoring. The second bomb just gives you as much bombs as the first one. However, due to the spritelimit, you're sometimes not able to drop to bombs at once and this can indeed fuck your score. It helps to have autofire on the bomb button for this bit.

A game where you put autofire on B - Perfection!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

anyone know why ketgarelab made all his garegga videos private on youtube? real shame...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

No idea, asking him on twitter now.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Just a little addendum that helped me get way more consistent at BH2's sweeping vulcan;
For all Garegga ships the hitbox is off center to the left. Gain is off to the right ( :? ) and all other ships are centered.
Which means that you should keep the vulcan-streams closer to the right side of the ship than the left when you're tapa-taping away if you're using a Garegga ship.
Image Image
voden

Post by voden »

I read in this thread that you get a bornman superplay by pressing start on player 2. Just a question should this work if I don't have a controller plugged into the player 1 port? It doesn't actually do anything at all never mind select superplay and I'm more worried that my Saturn port 2 doesn't work as I just bought it. I don't have a 2nd pad to test.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A few days after Stunfest, Plasmo and I put our heads together to try and compile a list of the highest known replays for each ship available, either online or on hard media. I'm posting that list here, which will be added to the guide once I've had some time to start rewriting bits of it. If anyone knows of anything higher, feel free to post up the details to be added later.
I've also listed the current WRs as reference, taken from the current WR thread and Plasmo's Garegga HS thread.

Silver Sword:
WR: G,751,930 - みぐ (Migu)
• F,082,330 - DXP-Yoshidaya (INH DVD "The Madness Battle Garegga" Omake Disc)
• E,945,710 - KET (three parts: one, two, three)
• E,893,540 - DXP-Yoshidaya (INH DVD "The Madness Battle Garegga")

Grasshopper:
WR: F,981,940 - DBS
• F,072,450 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-NgQBrEv_8 - SDD-Kaede's channel)

Flying Baron:
WR: G,105,190 - T-OMN2号♂X68ま♀ゆるーい用
• E,226,430 - DBS (http://youtu.be/tbrAt82YazQ)

Wild Snail:
WR: H,413,590 - 山中将人☆OMN2♂68 (Yamanaka Masato)
• H,334,020 - T-OMN2号X68(ま) (was on YT, now private video, highest known - mp4 rip of st1-5 by dannnn)
• F,221,670 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/user/roland08100)

Gain:
WR: K,812,270 - T3-神威 (Kamui)
• K,720,100 - T3-神威 (three parts: one, two, three - old strategies)
• K,396,400 - T3-神威 (Special Demonstrations #1 - new strategies)

Chitta:
WR: G,790,350 - ツィ~まる@ボール部。 (Tsiimaru)
• G,062,720 - KET (three parts: one, two, three)

Miyamoto:
WR: I,546,440 - SDD-楓☆折り返し (Kaede)
• I,485,040 - SDD-Kaede (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwSumHGSZM)
• I,119,230 - SDD-Kaede (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 17CB72573B)

Bornnam:
WR: H,791,750 ~ X68ま
• H,121,140 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_BWKQlwSw - SDD-Kaede's channel)

Harder Mode:
• C,898,850 - unknown player <Miyamoto> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQB5HzLPZIY - SDD-Kaede's channel)

Extended Mode:
• Z,726,550 - T3-神威 <Gain> (personal DVD)
• T,062,670 - ZBL-JAC <Miyamoto> (http://youtu.be/IsCEI_ZWoCc)
Last edited by Icarus on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

So, this is a scrubby-as-fuck question, but it's something that's giving me a ton of problems and ending a lot of credits stupidly early:

In stage 2, what should I do in the opening section (i.e., before the flamingoes) if a suicide somewhere has left me with no options, using Gain? The lack of lateral coverage in my shot tends to get me absolutely slaughtered by the popcorn waves in this section when that happens, and the loads of extra bullets I have to face tend to put walls between me and medals (if I'm streaming to the left, every medal will always fall on the right side of the stream, which means that if there's dense bullet coverage, that's a drop).
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Concentrate fire on the ground turrets, as they block your shots; don't move in huge motions, but rather tap to move across the screen; prioritise powering up with either shot or options, whichever drops first.
Your ship is fast enough to catch any medals that drop unexpectedly, though, so you shouldn't really have trouble maintaining your medal chain here. And if you need to clear the blimp quickly, shoot it dead center.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Icarus wrote: prioritise powering up with either shot or options, whichever drops first.
Does this extend to grabbing small shot power ups, or should I avoid those as normal to keep the per-frame rank under control?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Obscura wrote:
Icarus wrote: prioritise powering up with either shot or options, whichever drops first.
Does this extend to grabbing small shot power ups, or should I avoid those as normal to keep the per-frame rank under control?
I personally don't consider per-frame rank a problem until very late on, since efficient scoring can help keep your rank down to near-minimum; if anything the biggest killer is dialing up the autofire too early on. If you absolutely must, grab small Shot powerups to get you back up to a decent level (normally lv3 for most ships), but then balance Shot power and Option count to try and keep rank increases to a low level.

Post by 7711 »

Okay, I really didn't want to ask this since it must be written everywhere but can someone tell me what is the exact value of letters in the scores ? I can't find it anywhere and I'm getting a bit frustrated (and starting to feel a bit stupid). Thanks
Overly obsessed asian girls fanatic.
23/08/2013 : I now swear on my honor (like I have any) never to use a bomb again.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

A is 10, B is 11, etc.
dinosaurjerk

Post by dinosaurjerk »

could someone possibly put garemame on mediafire or soemthing? ket closed the garelab site when he took down all his youtubes i guess, and not it's not there anymore ;=; i want to get back into "the swing of things" (game overing w/ chitta on stage 3). iirc it was a bit less laggy than shmupmame 2.2/4.2 and after a heavenly week of shmupmame 3.0 working for me, it stopped working again
RIP TEAM FORKS AND MY AMAZING 18TH PLACE SHMUP PLACING, BUT I'M LEAVING THE SIG IMAGE ANYWAY
oops my sig imagine got replaced with an itunes ad
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y61va ... ramame.rar

Sorry for the "Zip inside of a RAR" thing, for some reason mediafire doesn't like it when I try to upload zips, but it has no problems with rars, and this was the laziest way to do it.

Post by 7711 »

trap15 wrote:A is 10, B is 11, etc.
Thanks ! (:
Is the game supposed to counterstop when you reach Z9999.... ? Or can you go further ? I did heard of at least one Battle game with a Z score so I was wondering...
Overly obsessed asian girls fanatic.
23/08/2013 : I now swear on my honor (like I have any) never to use a bomb again.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

After "Z" it starts off with lower case "a" again.

The world record for Ibara, which uses the same letter system, is over "a".
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube