Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Vexorg

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by Vexorg »

Picked up a Kindle Fire HD to mess with, mostly because I'm getting really sick of my iPad and it's constant crashing in Safari. Admittedly I'm a little biased on this one since I just got off a 9-month stint on the Kindle team at Amazon (working mostly on the E-ink devices though) but so far I'm liking it. It is very limited in functionality beyond the Amazon ecosystem, but I pretty much knew that going in.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Vexorg wrote:
Picked up a Kindle Fire HD to mess with, mostly because I'm getting really sick of my iPad and it's constant crashing in Safari. Admittedly I'm a little biased on this one since I just got off a 9-month stint on the Kindle team at Amazon (working mostly on the E-ink devices though) but so far I'm liking it. It is very limited in functionality beyond the Amazon ecosystem, but I pretty much knew that going in.

Can't you just put CyanogenMod on it or something? That is what I ended up doing with my Nook Color. After the first couple of months I find that I do not use it at all though. I'd rather have back the netbook that I had sold.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Octopod wrote:
Vexorg wrote:

Can't you just put CyanogenMod on it or something? That is what I ended up doing with my Nook Color. After the first couple of months I find that I do not use it at all though. I'd rather have back the netbook that I had sold.
I don't know if anyone's done Cyanogen for the Kindle Fire HD yet, but I think a Nexus 7 would probably be a better platform if I'm going to mess around with things like custom firmware. I work with mobile devices for a living, so it wouldn't surprise me if I end up with one at some point. I've half-considered getting a Surface Pro when those come out, but I think I'd ultimately be better off just getting an Ultrabook and calling it good.

To be honest, I don't know if there's really any tablet out there that I'd consider superior to the others on the market. Aside from its app library the iOS platform is (in my opinion) pretty terrible to deal with, and even Android Jellybean still doesn't quite feel ready for prime time (but it's definitely catching up.) Admittedly I haven't used Windows 8 much at this point, but I do not like the aesthetics of the Metro UI, and find it to be horrendously difficult to use on a non-touchscreen PC. I probably can't talk too much about the Kindle Fire since I'm still under Amazon NDA, but I tend to treat it as basically a proprietary system that happens to be able to run some Android apps. The lack of Google apps on the Kindle Fire is probably what I would consider to be it's greatest weakness.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Octopod wrote: After the first couple of months I find that I do not use it at all though. I'd rather have back the netbook that I had sold.
Why would you sell your netbook for a tablet? Sure, the tablet would be a bit more convenient to pull out, but I can do pretty much anything on my netbook. Damn thing can even run the Arcana Heart 3 rip [which seems to have ludicrously low system requirements, but hey]. It's light, it gets 6 hours active battery [and can be in sleep for ages], and I can do all my PC stuffs on it. And for media purposes, having an HDD in a netbook lets you hold lots more than on a tablet, and the netbook stands up on its own, rather than needing to be propped up.

I can see the appeal of a tablet as another device to have [it is really much more convenient to just pull out and use than a netbook, I need to sit to comfortably use the netbook, I can stand and use the tablet, the tablet goes from sleeping->ready much faster, it's a more convenient shape for reading with [although in that case, I'd get an e-ink device], etc], but I can't see myself completely going from a netbook to a tablet. Bit too much of a downgrade, really.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
xris

Post by xris »

I got some graphic novels recently, The Thanos Imperative - fucking awesome, Dan Abett is similar to Jim Starlin for cosmic Marvel. Earth X - great collection, it's huge, and is a complete What If? storyline and a Marvel history lesson combined. And, Essential X-Men Vol. 6 - Dark Phoenix through Days of Future Past, need I say more. Fuck you Marvel for this being in black and white and your much smaller color collections costing much more.
So, after spending $50 freebasing awesome comics - I only want more, and it has to be the good stuff. $45+ for The Life and Death of Captain Marvel? $65 for the current Guardians of the Galaxy? Used! Fuck..
I impulse bought the hell out of a Kindle Fire today. At a tax evasive $150 at the pawn shop (I went in looking for cheapo dvds) I got a 6 gig (kinda small) new (no media on current registration) KF with a nice leather cover. After resetting it and registering it there was still a little fidgeting to get it to display comics. Apparently Calibre will convert cbz to grey scale mobi unless you change the settings. And, I spent $3 on the Comicat app. Problem solved! Now displays cbz better than mobi. Now that I dumped a bunch of comics on it I have another type of e reader that I absolutely love.

Anybody have suggestions on how to post pics over a phone connection? I have a pic of a shiny new thing with the cover of Infinity Gauntlet on it that would look dope in this post.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Stealthlurker wrote:Yes... you are finally mine!

Could you tell me what the Title of this Shmup is please?
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

MintyTheCat wrote:
Stealthlurker wrote:Yes... you are finally mine!

Could you tell me what the Title of this Shmup is please?
Thanks - found it:

chikyuu kaihou Gun ZAS
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Another figure!? Stop me before I actually turn into Elixir!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
rancor

Post by rancor »

trap15 wrote:Another figure!? Stop me before I actually turn into Elixir!

We really need to sit you down in IRC and have a talk in the coming days. All of us in the channel agree that we hate to see you taking this direction with your life. We've all seen it - It starts innocently enough with a cute figure here and there, and before you know it you've got a full blown problem. You can't get out of bed in the morning (well, afternoon in your case) without a session on the kyuu pillow and a bottle of little boys anus under your nose just to get your day started. Soon you'll be having Boku no Pico watching parties with your new "friends" and needing to listen to Vocaloid remixes and wear furry ears while eating dinner with the family just to feel "normal". I'm putting a stop to this before it goes any further. You need help, and anyone that says you don't isn't a real friend.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Man, I'm glad I hardly ever post in this thread, then. I'd have so many IRC conferences by now.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
null1024

Post by null1024 »

rancor wrote:bottle of little boys anus
oh god why is this a thing

sweet mercy

At least it mentions normal Japanese folk being rightly weirded the fuck out.
I don't give a damn how much of a shotacon someone might be, this item is distressing. Anus. Bottled anus smell. What.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
moh

Post by moh »

so when is rancor gonna scrap the whole kit kat thing and start including bottles of this?
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Maybe it can get rid of that pesky PCB smokey smell!
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, I second the notion of some bottles of anus as goodies. 'Tis the season!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Got me a PVM-2030 this weekend!

Currently running my SNES through S-video, but I'm going to make good use of that 25-pin d-sub for RGB once I can find the time to build some cables!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

drauch wrote:Yeah, I second the notion of some bottles of anus as goodies. 'Tis the season!
Poor rancor ...

Now you will have to start shipping goods in discreet unmarked packages :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

It'll deter further complaints about how the PCBs smell, at least. Who's going to implicate themselves by whining their PCB smells of "little boy anus?" Even for a Japanese arcade that's pushing it.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

The quality checkers at that company must be catholic priests.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Toyota Avensis T spirit 2007 model.

Panasonic HC-X800 Camcorder.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hagane wrote:The quality checkers at that company must be catholic priests.
:twisted: ooooooh - that's evil hahhahahaa - but some what 'true' :D
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Pretty recent pick ups.

Actually had the coins thanks to the 3DS XL and Wii u.

I think my Godzilla Vs. Biollante BR is shipping out too. Picked up some Zelda VC games on the 3DS as well.
moh

Post by moh »

pretty nice! How are you liking the Wii U?
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

moh wrote:pretty nice! How are you liking the Wii U?

I love it dude. Zombi U was a really good game and I love the way it utilized the controller. Nintendo Land is just so much more than I expected and it is what I am focusing on now that I have finished Zombi U. There are some absolutely crazy videos out there on youtube for Donkey Kongs Crash Course that make me want to keep improving and the other games are a blast too. Even the ninja throwing star one has me hooked which I thought was going to be something you play once and forget. I haven't even really delved into NSMBU yet and I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that Sonic Transformed is a great game. Miiverse is fun and I end up spending quite a bit of time just BSing on there and I enjoy the fact that I can use the Wii U to watch youtube videos(been watching Game Center CX) on the TV while browsing forums on the controller. It is still new so it is still honeymoon period I guess but this is the most fun I have had with a console in a while. I wish the OS was snappier but that is my only complaint and 15 seconds really isn't that long I guess. I had a couple of freeze ups the first week but I switched my Miiverse settings to English only and then they had that update and my system has been running fine since.
moh

Post by moh »

Sounds pretty cool!

I'm still scarred from how the Wii turned out, I didn't enjoy that console at all, so I'm gonna hold back before buying a Wii U. Good to hear that you're enjoying it though, I've heard some bad stuff about the OS and battery life and such. Haven't had a chance to try it out myself though!
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

moh wrote:Sounds pretty cool!

I'm still scarred from how the Wii turned out, I didn't enjoy that console at all, so I'm gonna hold back before buying a Wii U. Good to hear that you're enjoying it though, I've heard some bad stuff about the OS and battery life and such. Haven't had a chance to try it out myself though!

Yeah. When I had a Wii I only played a few games and then sold it after a bit. Now though I have a list of around 65 games for the Wii that I am looking into picking up or checking out. I think the Wii had more games then it gets credit for. Like Fishing Resort. Just hearing the name it made me think it was some shovelware but it is actually a fun game and it was made by Prope. I have put around ten hours into it so far. It depends what kind of games you are looking for I guess. But if you get a Wii U there is no reason to not also explore the Wii library more.

As far as the controller battery life it does kind of suck. I get around a few hours before the light will come on. Luckily for me an outlet is close so I just unplugg the cord from the charging dock and plug it into the controller if needed. I saw that Nyko is coming out with a bigger battery soon though that should address the issue. I am thinking it comes with a small battery because they wanted to keep it light? I don't know how much weight a bigger battery will actually add so it might be a trade off there.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

AKG 240
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

DAT PAPST

For the record, MOH, I'm disappointed there weren't any free goodies from Japan included like Scent of a Real Boy.
moh

Post by moh »

sorry bro, pic's not big enough.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »