Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dunpeal2064

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I just got a new LED, and thought I'd try to get MAME looking nice on it, but I am having trouble.

I'm attempting to use hlsl. I checked the HLSL box in advanced setttings. I have the hlsl folder, and downloaded an hlsl.ini to put in there, which I edited my settings in. I copy/pasted the mame.ini and edited the hlsl enable and hlslini, and then pasted it back to mame.ini (As I read you are not supposed to edit it in MAME). I also made sure my Directx is up to date, and it is at Directx11.

After doing all this, it had no affect on my mame games. Did I miss a step? Do I need an older version of Directx? I figured it would at least mess everything up, but its not even realizing I'm changing anything from the looks of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

How did you make sure your DirectX was up to date exactly? You should always install the latest end-user runtime installer from Microsoft, this is needed even in Windows 8.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I ran "dxdiag", and it says I am at Directx11. It does probably need an upgrade of some sort still.

However, from what I've read, it seems like I would get an error if my Directx was to blame, but I am not. MAME is running as if I had never made changes to it. I don't have the hlsl slider when in mame either.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Whenever I record from low-res systems (SNES/PS1/N64) I always get this checkerboard pattern across the entire screen.

Klonoa, PS1
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4569/chck1.png

Mischief Makers, N64
http://imageshack.us/a/img4/3629/chk2.png

StarFox, SNES
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5357/chk3.png

This annoys me greatly. These patterns also appear on my television, but it is a crappy TV in general, and recording these games is my focus anyhow.

Using this recorder, with an S-video cable with multiple inputs for use on several consoles (PS2, Xbox, 360, SNES/N64/GC).

Is there any way to change the video output or device settings to not have that pattern? Or maybe it's a different issue, such as a bad cable, or could be an unavoidable hardware feature?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yeah, crappy cable(s).
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ok, so I realized that all this work trying to get nice scanlines on my LED is just silly, as I know I'd be much happier with a realy nice CRT for the low res stuff.

So, I guess I have 2 questions:

1) What are the top-end professional CRT monitors to look out for? So far I only know of the BVM and Ikegami, so my search for a nice CRT is fairly limited.

2) Is there a good place to buy these monitors online, other than ebay? I guess I could drop the $250 on the 20" BVM on there right now, but I wanted to shop around first.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So far I only know of the BVM
I think, when you read up in my BVM thread, you'll find plenty of other nice models. The later (and smaller) PVM models are pretty nice as well.

LA and NY craigslist makes ex-production monitors pretty easily to find in the US - at least that's my impression compared to Europe.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Well, I got a cool little Trinitron (An A400 I think), and after getting soft15khz going, MAME games look pretty sharp (for the $10 I spent on the monitor and free app at least) :lol:

So, now I am trying to hook my DC up to my LED. Sadly, it does not have a VGA port, so I was wondering if a VGA/audio to HDMI converter would work? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-HDMI-VGAC ... B0015YWV1G

To my eye it looks like it should work, but I thought I'd double check first.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, this should work. Unfortunately there are SO MANY vga to hdmi converters out there, it's impossible to know them all...
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Thinking of getting a Wii U but I don't have a stable internet connection and I have heard bricking stories about the launch update. So my question is, is it possible to play the Wii U offline without the update for now?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

gundamalpha wrote:Thinking of getting a Wii U but I don't have a stable internet connection and I have heard bricking stories about the launch update. So my question is, is it possible to play the Wii U offline without the update for now?
Sounds like Wii U games will play offline without any problems.

Apparently b/c for Wii titles requires the update?

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/17/3657636/wii-u-patch

I wonder if there is an 'offline' update method like the 360 has? So you can download the update on your computer and copy it to a USB flash drive ...
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

Major tech rookie here... Can anyone recommend a solid tv and video input combination that works as a best possible option for systems 8 to 32 bit? Everything from Famicom to PS2 basically on the same TV if feasible...
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

gundamalpha wrote:Thinking of getting a Wii U but I don't have a stable internet connection and I have heard bricking stories about the launch update. So my question is, is it possible to play the Wii U offline without the update for now?
Bricking could occur if you lost power or turned off the console during the update itself, not the download. So unless your internet goes down so hard that you lose power to your home every five minutes, you should be fine. It will prompt you about an update if you start up your wii the the internet set up, but you can choose to let it download in the background, and install at your leisure.
striker45

Post by striker45 »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I have looked, honest) but I need some advice. I have a nice Dell 22" CRT monitor. It is of approximately 2005 vintage with a Sony Black Diamond tube. I bought it mainly for use with my dedicated Dreamcast set-up for which it has performed admirably. :D My DC has never looked finer! What I would like to do now is display my other older consoles - MD, SNES, PS1, etc. (basically anything with an 240p RGB SCART output) as it has a second VGA input going spare. How would I go about this?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You buy a linedoubler or scaler - chose from the units tested here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

And if you want scalines you can add a SLG3000 between the linedoubler and the CRT.
Jurgeni

Post by Jurgeni »

What kind of machines i need if i want to connet my gc, snes, nes, amiga, ps1 to my lcd pc monitor.
All are pal machines.
Using scart rgp and composite.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Anyone recommend a good Xbox 360 arcade stick? I'm not looking for top of the line in terms of ZOMG FEATURES AND LIGHTS, but good, solid hardware (one that has a LS/DP/RB swap option for the stick'd be a plus). I'm sick of looking for controllers with a decent D-Pad only to have to settle for a the non-ideal thumb position or a D-Pad that moves diagonally whenever I press up or down. :(

Also, how easy are they to mod/repair? From what I gather, they seem to use fairly standard hardware? I'm just makin' sure, in case my research is shit. Is it relatively easy to make/print a custom faceplate for it? If I shelled out money for a Street Fighter X Tekken stick, there's no way I'd want that on my stick (puke).

Of course, if there's a good controller for Xbox 360 with a D-Pad as the main source of control I'm unaware of, that might work too. I don't really know what's good out there and what isn't, and I haven't seen anything I was confident buying without knowing anyone who's used one before.

Yeah, I know, I'm a newfag when it comes to this shit.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

went
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what are you willing to pay ? Here's the top 3:

Hori VLX Premium 360:

Hori Fighting Edge 360:

Or the classic Hori HRAP Premium EX-SE:

shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:Anyone recommend a good Xbox 360 arcade stick? I'm not looking for top of the line in terms of ZOMG FEATURES AND LIGHTS, but good, solid hardware (one that has a LS/DP/RB swap option for the stick'd be a plus). I'm sick of looking for controllers with a decent D-Pad only to have to settle for a the non-ideal thumb position or a D-Pad that moves diagonally whenever I press up or down. :(

Also, how easy are they to mod/repair? From what I gather, they seem to use fairly standard hardware? I'm just makin' sure, in case my research is shit. Is it relatively easy to make/print a custom faceplate for it? If I shelled out money for a Street Fighter X Tekken stick, there's no way I'd want that on my stick (puke).

Of course, if there's a good controller for Xbox 360 with a D-Pad as the main source of control I'm unaware of, that might work too. I don't really know what's good out there and what isn't, and I haven't seen anything I was confident buying without knowing anyone who's used one before.

Yeah, I know, I'm a newfag when it comes to this shit.
1. Grab a Mad Catz BrawlStick
2. Swap the joystick and buttons for whatever you want
3. ???
4. Profit!!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

shmuppyLove wrote: 1. Grab a Mad Catz BrawlStick
2. Swap the joystick and buttons for whatever you want
3. ???
4. Profit!!
So I can get a shitty WWE branded BrawlStick for 30 bucks and mod it easily? DONE.

Any pointers or templates available for replacing the default art? I don't want any steroid-filled losers on my stick, kthx. :p
Fudoh wrote: Hori VLX Premium 360:
This one's so pricey, but definitely awesome. I remember SFKhoa showing off his that he had modded with custom coloured LEDs for the buttons. Trying to save money for a downpayment on a mortgage, so I'll probably go with something less expensive and upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the replies.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:So I can get a shitty WWE branded BrawlStick for 30 bucks and mod it easily? DONE.
They're $30 now??? Last time I checked they were $60, which is still a really good price.
BareknuckleRoo wrote:Any pointers or templates available for replacing the default art? I don't want any steroid-filled losers on my stick, kthx. :p
There are templates available in Shoryuken forums.

Removing the original artwork is a massive pain in the ass, but getting new artwork on is cheap and easy. FedEx Office stores will print a full colour 8.5 x 11" laminated adhesive sheet for < $2.

I've been using one for a while now, and the material holds up really well, is comfortable to play on, and wipes easily.

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

shmuppyLove wrote:They're $30 now??? Last time I checked they were $60, which is still a really good price.
I snagged one yesterday for 40$ (29.99 + 10 or so shipping). If you want 'em cheap, gogogo:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-WWE-Star ... B004M23RAC

(I assume it'll actually arrive in good condition, said they were new.)
Removing the original artwork is a massive pain in the ass
Any suggestions, or should I also search the Shoryuken forums? Haven't been there yet.

I assume the stock buttons and stick will probably suck (I've read at least one review that said the buttons eventually start sticking); I know local guys like you and moh are both familiar with stick modding/replacement, how much would it cost to get the stock parts replaced with better stuff (I would obviously pay for the work itself, too)?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:I snagged one yesterday for 40$ (29.99 + 10 or so shipping). If you want 'em cheap, gogogo
I totally would, but I have one already, and it was cheaper still than that; one of the users from SRK sold me just the box for < $20 shipped.

If I had a 360 I would have bought a new one to maintain the functionality (turbo, LS/DP/RS switch and headphone jack), $30 is a super good price though.
BareknuckleRoo wrote:Any suggestions, or should I also search the Shoryuken forums? Haven't been there yet.
There aren't really any tricks to it ... maybe warming it up with a hair dryer would help the adhesive release a bit easier, but you're still going to have to clean the residue off the panel afterwards.

After trying a few different things to clean it, I found the best thing was just good ol' friction -- rubbing it off with my thumbs and fingers. I thought for sure I would get blisters but it worked out ok.
BareknuckleRoo wrote:I assume the stock buttons and stick will probably suck (I've read at least one review that said the buttons eventually start sticking); I know local guys like you and moh are both familiar with stick modding/replacement, how much would it cost to get the stock parts replaced with better stuff (I would obviously pay for the work itself, too)?
The stock controls aren't horrible, but they definitely aren't as good as the real deal.

The buttons are dead easy to replace. The originals are almost identical to the Sanwa OBSF-30; they are snap-ins with .110" quick-connectors.

The joystick is a bit trickier, I can't remember if there's a simple way to use the original harness or not. Sometimes you can just rotate the PCB on the joystick to specific position and it will match the original wiring, I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

Honestly it's really easy to do, if you felt like you couldn't handle it yourself we could make a project of it at a meet.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

shmuppyLove wrote:Honestly it's really easy to do, if you felt like you couldn't handle it yourself we could make a project of it at a meet.
I probably wouldn't make too bad of a job of it, but I've never worked with arcade hardware before honestly. I would hate risking making a stupid mistake my first time doing it and would appreciate the help just getting it done; I just want a good usable stick now, darn it! :p
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:
shmuppyLove wrote:Honestly it's really easy to do, if you felt like you couldn't handle it yourself we could make a project of it at a meet.
I probably wouldn't make too bad of a job of it, but I've never worked with arcade hardware before honestly. I would hate risking making a stupid mistake my first time doing it and would appreciate the help just getting it done; I just want a good usable stick now, darn it! :p
If you wanna put an LS-32-01 in it, you'll need the SS-plate (what's usually sold with the LS-32-01). Really easy to swap out, same goes for the buttons.

This exact plate:

I don't recommend the 32-01 for shumps anymore since trying the LS-56 though (with an octogate), but I'm not exactly sure what mounting plate you'll need for it.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'm about positive that this is the equivalent of the mount plate on the LS-32, but compatible with LS-33, 56, 58, etc. I don't know for sure if this fits the WWE stick, because I don't own one.

http://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls- ... late-p-40/
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

I
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

I got a quick question:

At the moment I got my 360 hooked up to a LCD (16:9, not tated) and another LCD screen (4:3) standing around purposely. Now I want to get more of the original arcade feel. Would you go an buy a old CRT and tate it or would you go for a tech solution (tate the 4:3 LCD and get some toys like a scanlinegenerator, etc.)?

And if CRT: Are there TVs that don't get those purple corners when rotated?
And if tech solution: What products would you suggest?

Appreciate your help :D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Acid_Rain wrote:Would you go an buy a old CRT and tate it or would you go for a tech solution (tate the 4:3 LCD and get some toys like a scanlinegenerator, etc.)?
I personally would get (I have one already, but I would buy one if I didn't) a CRT and tate it.
Acid_Rain wrote:And if CRT: Are there TVs that don't get those purple corners when rotated?
If you degauss it, no TV should do that. Some TVs don't have a degauss mechanism you can normally access though, in which case you'll have to leave it tate'd and unplugged for about an hour for it to degauss itself.

If it still has discoloration, try turning it off, moving it a bit (swiveling, making sure it's flat, stuff like that), and try again.

Worst case, you may have to buy a "degaussing wand" and wave that over it a bit.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.