Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by kamiboy »

Necronopticous wrote:There is a guy pretty local to me selling a 20L5 in "excellent" condition according to him. I may go take a look this weekend. I talked him down to $150 and he says he will go no lower. Would you guys consider that to be a reasonable price for this unit?
Why you lucky deuce, you.

I have to pay at least twice that and what I'll get most definitely wont be in "excellent" condition. Go for the L5, you wont regret it.
fagin

Post by fagin »

cools wrote:I've got a 1985 PVM-1371QM that has a flawless picture too.

As long as there's no burn the old Sony CRTs are always a good buy :D
You may as well sell it now since you're console less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

Just bought a PVM 2044QM there from someone in Germany. I'm hoping this one isn't as bad as the one I bought last month and had to get my money back on.

Fingers crossed...
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image
ryu

Post by ryu »

blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
cools

Post by cools »

fagin wrote:
cools wrote:I've got a 1985 PVM-1371QM that has a flawless picture too.

As long as there's no burn the old Sony CRTs are always a good buy :D
You may as well sell it now since you're console less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
Have supergun will travel.
MKL

Post by MKL »

fagin wrote:Just taken the top of the unit off and the date stamp on the tube is 1987. It's 25yrs old!!!! :shock:

That is truly unbelievable as the image is outstanding.

They sure for shit don't make them like they used to and this alone is testament that the units age (and presumably fairly high hour usage) doesn't have to be a negative at all.

I'm honestly shocked.
Trinitrons from that era have a high failure rate actually. I've got this confirmed by several repairsmen after finding a dozen faulty tubes out of about 50 trinitron TVs I've inspected from the 1987-1991 era (AE-1 chassis). This is no doubt because of their age not because they're inherently bad, they just don't have as long a lifespan as other CRTs (Videocolor for instance).
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

Pyongyang wrote:Just bought a PVM 2044QM there from someone in Germany. I'm hoping this one isn't as bad as the one I bought last month and had to get my money back on.

Fingers crossed...
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6757930e ... 5DB2%21408 service manual for you.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Hey guys, thanks for all of your help & feedback. I will go get the PVM-20L5 this weekend and report back.
fagin

Post by fagin »

MKL wrote:
fagin wrote:Just taken the top of the unit off and the date stamp on the tube is 1987. It's 25yrs old!!!! :shock:

They sure for shit don't make them like they used to and this alone is testament that the units age (and presumably fairly high hour usage) doesn't have to be a negative at all.

I'm honestly shocked.
Trinitrons from that era have a high failure rate actually. I've got this confirmed by several repairsmen after finding a dozen faulty tubes out of about 50 trinitron TVs I've inspected from the 1987-1991 era (AE-1 chassis). This is no doubt because of their age not because they're inherently bad, they just don't have as long a lifespan as other CRTs (Videocolor for instance).
Excuse my ignorance but how can a tube "just fail"?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Pyongyang wrote:Just bought a PVM 2044QM there from someone in Germany. I'm hoping this one isn't as bad as the one I bought last month and had to get my money back on.

Fingers crossed...
8)
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

fagin wrote:8)
Between you and Tobias I don't know who is worse! :mrgreen:
--

Image Image
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The 28" HDM linked above is *old* - basically the HD version of Fagin's 80s BVM.

But interesting tidbit: on the spec sheet linked in the auction http://www.mm-technology.de/rental/imgr ... ries2.html
There's a 38" Sony HDM CRT listed, with 184kg (400+ lbs). Now THAT I want :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I'm considering doing an adjustment / cleaning up of my 2950q, as it has some geometry issues and I don't know if anyone in my immediate area can do that anymore. What is a good, inexpensive test image generator? Will I need to make adjustments on every input? I think the monitor options mentioned a blue mode as a possible substitution to getting one of those filter sheets - is that adequate? Would it be better to use the internal adjustments or the osd ones - does it matter?
ryu

Post by ryu »

so it's from the mid 90s? i'd be kind of crazy if hd has been a thing since the 80s. though i can imagine that it's a widescreen 15khz monitor with the so-called high reslution in lines (just like the bvm presented in this thread).

that huge one sounds like all kinds of fun indeed. i'd probably prefer this one here though http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_inf ... gebr..html :D
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Zapf wrote:I'm considering doing an adjustment / cleaning up of my 2950q, as it has some geometry issues and I don't know if anyone in my immediate area can do that anymore. What is a good, inexpensive test image generator? Will I need to make adjustments on every input? I think the monitor options mentioned a blue mode as a possible substitution to getting one of those filter sheets - is that adequate? Would it be better to use the internal adjustments or the osd ones - does it matter?
One way is to use the test grid options on the "240p Test Suite" as a starter for 10. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

However, if you're just on about basic geometry you'll need to connect all your consoles one by one and find a happy "framing" medium between your various consoles for underscan and/or overscan.
ryu

Post by ryu »

the 2950q should have an osd with width/height adjustments. i recommend just noting the best values for each consoles and adjusting it on the fly. just takes a couple seconds anyways. if you can get into the service menu i'd use that to adjust geometry instead of fiddling with the pots inside (if it even has any for geometry that is)
MKL

Post by MKL »

fagin wrote:
MKL wrote:

I'm honestly shocked.
Excuse my ignorance but how can a tube "just fail"?
Various shorts in the electron gun assembly. Cathode to heater, Cathode to control grid, control grid to screen grid. Heater filament may break. Sometimes a rejuvenator can remove the short, but most times it can't or the short comes back after some time.
fagin

Post by fagin »

MKL wrote:
fagin wrote: Excuse my ignorance but how can a tube "just fail"?
Various shorts in the electron gun assembly. Cathode to heater, Cathode to control grid, control grid to screen grid. Heater filament may break. Sometimes a rejuvenator can remove the short, but most times it can't or the short comes back after some time.
Never in all my life have I ever heard of this.... perhaps I've just been lucky. :mrgreen:

I would however suspect and expect the PVM and BVM (even more) to be of much higher grade stock than regular consumer grade tubes.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Well, "excellent" condition turned into "component/RGB input does not work." After this discovery, he said he'd let it go for $70 but I'm not interested in a busted unit so I suppose I will be holding off until something else appealing pops up.
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I feel your pain. I got a "brand new" PVM-20M2MDU, but the geometry is pretty bad.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Bad geometry can always be adjusted, but buying a PVM with a bad RGB/Component input is like buying a race horse with a limp.

Too bad though, I was curious to know how well the L5 could handle a composite signal from the likes of the classic NES.

I would expect a professional display to have a pretty good comb filter but you never know. The 2530 I once had was abysmal with composite. Absolutely unwatchable.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Couple of pictures of my BVM-2010P

RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

fagin wrote:Couple of pictures of my BVM-2010P
Looks nice! What is this game?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Musha Aleste for the MD.
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

--

Image Image
fagin

Post by fagin »

Pyongyang wrote:Image
Not quite.... I've just spotted some convergence issue in that image. Need to tweak further!! :oops:

Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

--

Image Image
nem

Post by nem »

fagin wrote:Image
:shock:

That's amazing
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Bah, humbug. Every person with a L5 for sale wants too much for it. I've found sellers wanting several hundred for ones that are only partially functioning.

Well, their loss. Their prices pushed me to opt for a 14L2 because the seller claimed it had almost no hours on it.

Now I'll have something to play on while taking my time looking for a mint L5 for a good price. Hell, if I like the size and quality I might just give up on the L5 altogether.

It has been ages since I saw a 14" CRT so I have a hard time imagining whether it is too small or just right for a desktop unit.

Once it arrives in a week or two I'll know. At about 200 CAD I can afford to make a mistake I feel. Most excited to see the composite performance.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

14" is around the size of many standard old PC / Mac monitors. It's considerably smaller than a 17" monitor, which is a very reasonable size for close viewing, but at 240p resolutions it shouldn't matter much. I have noticed that overall cabinet dimensions (and probably weight too) of a newer 17" PC CRT is almost on a par with the older 15" (possibly some smaller Mac monitors) ones I have. I am not sure that this will hold for Sony pro monitors though.