Super Fantasy Zone

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Mero

Super Fantasy Zone

Post by Mero »

This is the high score thread for Super Fantasy Zone, released on MegaDrive in 1992 and ported(emulated?) to PS2 in 2008. Developed by SunSoft.

3 lives, normal difficulty. EDIT:Hard table added.

Code: Select all

Name - Score - Stage 

1. Thelk641 -  34,265,000 - 7-7 
2. Kollision - 15,592,800 - 3-6
3. Mero -       9,059,700 - 2-8
4. raskulous -  4,168,300 - 2-6
Hard

1. Thelk641 - 6,231,700 - 2-2
Last edited by Mero on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 am, edited 17 times in total.
Mero

Re: Super Fantasy Zone

Post by Mero »

Mero - 5,696,300 - 2-8

The game gives you a massive bonus when you clear the first loop, it must be something like 4 million.

When you start the second loop the game takes all your gold off you, but the shop prices stay the same :( . I was on my last life and I couldn't afford to buy an extend for ages (the price maxes out at 100k).

The extra difficulty of the 2nd loop doesn't really start to noticeably kick in until about 2-4, I was lucky to get past 2-6 in one piece in particular. The bosses don't seem to be any harder though :?
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

Thelk641 - 12,073,100 - 3-4

In fact there's only a very little bonus for the end of loops (like 1 million) but there are BIG bonus for the lifes and golds you had when you finish (for, 5 lifes, 200k golds, I had like 6 millions of bonus points) and, in fact, the game takes all your gold AND all you lifes ! And same thing for the third loop.... I thought I was gonna fight against a true last boss and..... no =p

But I'm a little sad... I lost because I did a newbie error against the stage 4's boss.... for someone who played this game for the first time in... hum... 1997 ? It's very a sad thing !

And sorry for my English.... I'm French =p
Mero

Post by Mero »

Great job!

I might try to improve my own score on this sometime
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

Good luck ^^

And... NEW RECORD *-* 12,618,200 points !

But....... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Sorry, I lost because.... my gamepad... was disconnected... BECAUSE OF THE **** THING THAT I USE TO CONNECT MY PAD TO MY PC !!!!!!!!! (yes I play on kega fusion, my megadrive's pads are old... and my ps1 pad works better than the megadrive's !)

And I lost at the level 3-1, without fire, without move, just opa going alone against a big flower.... And me with my tears...
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

And... again... new record !!!!!!!! *-*

14.033.700 - Round 3-3

But for this record, I have... the video... I will upload it as soon as possible, and I will post the link here ^^

Edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIAU4EEeR0&feature=plcp =)

In fact, the end of game's bonus is :

Gold x10 + Lifes x 1.000.000 + 1.000.000 ^^

I saw this on my video =)
Mero

Post by Mero »

Updated now, thanks for the video
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

SFZ - Mode Hard : Thelk641 : 3.415.200 Round 2-1

The end is very funny... I hit... a flower... the first flower... T-T

And for this... I have the video ! But... in.. 10 parts ? Fraps I hate you -_- I'll upload this when it will be possible =p

Edit : http://youtu.be/eka-g1u-CsE =)
Mero

Post by Mero »

Did this ages ago and never posted it

Mero - 9,059,700 - 2-8

Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

When I saw your new score, I was like... "now I have to play and beat my best score, so it would be more than 2 times his score... again !" so I played SFZ... just 1 time, for the fun !

Thelk641 - 15.255.700 - stage 3-6

I lost because... I forgot to buy rubber boots... >< and I haven't the video, just this screenshot :

http://nsa31.casimages.com/img/2012/12/ ... 824741.png

I'm sad... I wanted 18.000.000 points... I have to play again to beat my score, again !
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

Hard mode :

Thelk641 - 5,210,000 - 2-2

I wanted challenge and... I was like "okay I one credited SFZ on hard but... I used the shield and it's totaly overpowered so... it's not that cool..." and two weeks ago I tried to do the one credit on hard without the shield and... without buying lifes (because it would be too easy !)... it took me two weeks but I did it ! :D
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

And... sorry for the double post...

On hard mode again :

Thelk641 - 5,322,500 - 2-4

This was a really awesome run ! But... I lost a life because of a missclick... T-T... The one-life is not far !

Edit : And... hard mode :

Thelk641 - 6,231,700 - 2-2

This time, I did it ! One lifed the first loop ! :D
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Normal Difficulty

Perikles - 9,982,400 - 2-9

Managed to get crushed by the final boss itself the second time around. :roll: Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Normal Difficulty

Perikles - 16,289,600 - 4-1

Meh. Died once in loop 2 and 3, respectively, which cut down my score considerably. While I do like this game quite a bit I do think that higher loops are a bit imbalanced: the combination of Psikyo-fast bullets with a player ship that is not perfectly centered and enemies that love to spawn right in your face gets somewhat aggravating.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Perikles wrote:Image

Normal Difficulty

Perikles - 16,289,600 - 4-1

Meh. Died once in loop 2 and 3, respectively, which cut down my score considerably. While I do like this game quite a bit I do think that higher loops are a bit imbalanced: the combination of Psikyo-fast bullets with a player ship that is not perfectly centered and enemies that love to spawn right in your face gets somewhat aggravating.
Hey congrats!
this ones definitely on my hitlist for 1-alls too.
Last edited by Blinge on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mero

Post by Mero »

Good job hitting the fourth loop.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thanks, guys! I got one final improvement:

Normal Difficulty

Perikles - 24,838,100 - 5-6

My brilliant strategy for loop 5 was to buy laser and shield for every stage, in an equally brilliant manner I managed to die on the boss of the sixth stage. :lol: Oh well, some mistake was bound to happen at some point in time.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

humble performance for Normal difficulty

Kollision - 15,592,800 - 3-6

Mero

Post by Mero »

Whoops! Quoted the OP instead of just editing it.
raskulous

Post by raskulous »

raskulous - 4,168,300 - 2-6

Here's my recent 1cc of the game... Last place on the scoreboard, but it's a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zar7O6fqvwE
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Someone should probably go through and scrub some of these Perikles scores, certainly some of the more outlandish ones squatting at the top of scoreboards.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I'll remove it next time I'm on a computer, and make an effort to do it for other threads when they get bumped. Since the start of the pandemic I've only been able to edit tables once a week so I don't get to do it as much.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Mero wrote:I'll remove it next time I'm on a computer, and make an effort to do it for other threads when they get bumped. Since the start of the pandemic I've only been able to edit tables once a week so I don't get to do it as much.
Cheers for keeping up with it, many languish.
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

Nine years after posting my very first score here, am back :

Thelk641 - 24.551.900 - 6-7

Speedrunning this game taught me how to be more aggressive, and the game actually rewards this a lot more than I previously thought. The difficulty ramps, not based on level clears, but on the number of enemies that got to shoot. Going faster therefore means keeping the difficulty from snowballing too much. Scoring in SFZ is a balancing act as gold turns into score if you reach the end of the loop, so you have to spend enough to survive, but not too much, years ago I thought it was worth it to just keep my gold and risk it, but this run proved the opposite : play fast, spend to go faster and play the long game. If anybody else wants to score : laser, double missile, run fast, "speedrun strats" (except for boss and round 7, which would cost you way too much with the actual speedrun strat). Round 6 (aka hell), buy a bubble. Loop 1 and 2 can be done without this, same thing for round 1, 2 and 3 of each loop (buy a 1up at the start of round 3, for safety).

This was done live on twitch, here's a replay of the run : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDScA1lLFw

I ran into one weird "bug" which I can't explain. Enemies "level up" in SFZ. At the end of loop 4 (59min20s), you can see them using their red shots (lvl 3), but just minutes later, during the boss rush (1h1min15s), the fourth boss (who uses the same shots as basic enemies) uses the green shots (lvl 2) and, after the credit, round 1 begins with enemies using, again, their lvl 2 shots instead of the level 3 (1h8min25s). I don't know what happen, I don't know if there's a "level down" mechanic for the last level, or if it's a bug, and if it is, I don't know if it's a game bug or an emulation (kega fusion) bug. With SFZ being as popular as it is (sarcasm) I don't know if anybody with the necessary skill would be motivated to dig and find out what happen, I'll be very curious to know but to be honest I wouldn't know where to start.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Great work :) . Updated.
Thelk641

Post by Thelk641 »

Four months later, I'm back, but this time I don't think I'll ever improve this :

Thelk641 - 34.265.000 - 7-7

Video with only the run on it will be available soon, for now the best I can give is the twitch vod : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1514644005

(edit : here's the run, alone : https://youtu.be/SmNzcH6-ERM)

I've been playing SFZ every Sunday live on twitch, trying to beat Perikles' score, just to know that legit or not he wouldn't have been on top of the leaderboard anyway (if his run was legit, he would find a way to beat this score as well but heck, good enough =p). Finally, today, I managed to do it.

I've optimised the shop. You need to balance spending the least amount as possible (money in score if you bring it to the end of the loop) and finishing levels as quickly as possible, I think the only major improvement left would be to find a way to use the laser less (by loop 7 it was up to 50k$ meaning you wouldn't get much score from finishing this loop and survival becomes way harder as you don't have enough to buy 1UPs anymore), outside of that, most of the things I buy are permanent as long as I don't die so there's not much to improve. The latest improvement is using smart bombs instead of the bubble for round 6, something I discovered during this round because of a misclick (I buy smart bombs instead of thunder volt and think "if I want this to not be a waste, the only option is round 6", I try it and yes, it works, except it starts at 5k$ and goes up by 2k per loop instead of starting at 40k and going up by 1k per loop).

The only way to do better would be to die less (I only died once before loop 7) or go longer (the run is already 1h50min long and every loop ends with a 3min long cutscene). Outside of someone finding some new optimizations or ways to score... I don't really see myself pushing it farther. I'll continue playing SFZ, it's a game from my childhood, I love it, but I think this score is good enough to call it here for this particular challenge =).
Mero

Post by Mero »

Good job on breaking 30m, Updated.