Feedbacks about the MICOMSOFT DISPL Scan converter ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lovecraft

Feedbacks about the MICOMSOFT DISPL Scan converter ?

Post by lovecraft »

I never heard of it before I see this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkuc-9dlrs0
The guy is very, VERY amazed by that DISPL, but oddly there is almost no info on the web :?:
If somebody here may share his experience of that DISPL unit, it would be helpful :)
Fudoh

Re: Feedbacks about the MICOMSOFT DISPL Scan converter ?

Post by Fudoh »

I get asked about this constantly!

Doubling quality is exactly the same as on the XRGB-2 unit. For 99% of the users and 100% of all LCD and plasma users the DISPL has no advantage whatsoever. What he's so psyched about is the fact, that the DISPL will double rare 15khz signals which run at a lower refresh rate and have higher vertical resolution than 240 lines in exchange. He's refering to R-Type as an example. R-Type PCB is running at 256p55. The XRGB-2 (and others) will output 480p55 with this board, hence cutting off 16 pixels each on top and bottom. The DISPL will output 512p55. You need a multisync-capable CRT to use this output though. Consumer TVs won't handle this, neither will any LCD or plasma.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

starting to understand better, thanks Fudoh ;)
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Fudoh, in your last sentence, do you mean the DISPL is completely uncompatible with any LCD TV ?
cools

Post by cools »

Guessing you're the one that outbid me on the one on YAJ then ;)
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

cools wrote:Guessing you're the one that outbid me on the one on YAJ then ;)

No I did not :?: Could never see one on YAJ ! Do you still have the link ?
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Wow it's tempting ! First time ever I see a complete set with original box, and nobody speak of it on the web. But if it's only compatible with CRT multisync monitors as Fudoh explains, it's not such an interesting gadget ^^
cools

Post by cools »

Not as difficult to find as the DISPL ;) I didn't bid particularly high as I've got a bunch of 15k CRTs sitting around spare...

But it came up in a saved search for DISPL with my proxy :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Fudoh, in your last sentence, do you mean the DISPL is completely uncompatible with any LCD TV ?
input refresh = output refresh. As long as you're between 59.5 and 60.2Hz you're fine, but a LCD won't sync to 54Hz (Seibu boards) and it won't sync to anything above 480p on a 31khz signal (old Irem boards).
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Fudoh wrote:
input refresh = output refresh. As long as you're between 59.5 and 60.2Hz you're fine, but a LCD won't sync to 54Hz (Seibu boards) and it won't sync to anything above 480p on a 31khz signal (old Irem boards).

Ok, so I suppose that DISPL converter may be compatible with a LCD display as lons as the arcade board is neither Seibu's nor too old... I now understand why I was unable to fix a sync problem with a Raiden 2 board lended by a friend of mine, yet I used a XRGB3 unit on a standard LCD VGA monitor.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

It's a shame Micomsoft doesn't release a converter as flexible as the XRGB3, but quite MORE simple to use, a bit like how that DISPL looks... I can't get used to these tons of buttons and settings within the XRGB3 ! (>__<) I mean it requires so much knowledge to get the best of it with its different modes, etc... It's confusing.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You think so ? Once the XRGB-3 is set to B1, there are hardly more options available than on the older machines. All the geometry stuff is disabled anyway.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

I confirm this little box is a marvel, I do not regret my purchase ! Unlike other stuff, it's completely plug & play : right after you power it on, you get a wonderful image quality, and the default colors & brightness on screen are vibrant (more than what I could see with the XRGB3!). The scanlines emulation is natural, absolutely superb ! :shock: Also I love the fact you can fine-tune the R/G/B and brightness with hardware knobs, this is much more simple and intuitive than a menu on screen ! I'm very impressed with it, tried different boards and didn't notice any image deformation problem or things like that, nor any slight latency between control and image... Looks like that thing is awesome.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

took a couple of pics with a Gaiapolis PCB, the DISPL scanlines emulation (set to "Lo") is stunning on my flat LCD display

I'm amazed with the clarity of the picture and colors too, it's clearly better than the default settings in the XRGB series.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can't agree with that. After seeing one live two weeks ago, I think it performs in exactly the same way as the other XRGB machines. Issues with a very few selected PCBs set aside.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Fudoh wrote:Can't agree with that. After seeing one live two weeks ago, I think it performs in exactly the same way as the other XRGB machines. Issues with a very few selected PCBs set aside.

With default settings (even without converter), the IREM M92 boards are well known to deliver somewhat a darker image in comparison with other hardware. Indeed I noticed that with my In The Hunt and R-Type Leo boards, on both CRT and LCD screen. I tried with the XRGB3 and could compare with the DISPL : by default, the contrast and light appear more "vibrant", more "arcadish" and natural with the DISPL than it does with the XRGB ;) Now, maybe you can get the very same result by fine-tuning the XRGB.
Last edited by cvaniafan on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

ok, you might be right about the XRGB-3. It wasn't designed for Arcade PCB levels. But the Displ, the XRGB-1 and 2 are really the same when it comes to picture quality.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

true I could not compare with the XRGB1/2/2+ and this one works so well with arcade, including very old boards that I wonder if it was not designed specifically for arcade!
juji82

Post by juji82 »

sorry for digging this up. i got recently a displ myself and i was wondering.. i can get for cheap nec multisync 2090uxi. will it work with a r-type board? or i should look for just a multisync crt?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

can get for cheap nec multisync 2090uxi.
pretty sure it will display something (my 2180ux did), but you'll end up with a framerate conversion, so it won't be exactly smooth.
juji82

Post by juji82 »

that would sux. maybe for 40 euro it is worth trying. btw i followed your advice and used 3 cheap var. resistor, thanks a lot!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So It's my turn to try that little box, after some AC adapter trouble (the included one is either too sensitive or doesn't work) I'm obviously facing the scart>jp21 adapter not passing the 5V or something 'wake up' signal.

I've been looking at JP21 pinout for a few minutes but I am unsure of what I should do. Plz halp ? ^^
FYI my adapter is the same as shown on the xrgb wiki: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-3
(bought it from a UK seller years ago).

As expected the Sigma Raijin supergun with direct JP21 output was okay, very clean, sharp and stable picture from a Cave cv1000b pcb (maybe a bit better quality compared to the XRGB2's indeed).
A bit of shakiness from a Toaplan pcb though (Dogyuun).

Low scanlines level not displaying any lines as expected, and the only strangeness if that some lines get cut off top and bottom (in tate/portrait orientation I mean).
I'm using my old LG TV right now as I'm not at home, I'll try it on better displays later this week.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm obviously facing the scart>jp21 adapter not passing the 5V or something 'wake up' signal.
AFAIK: 5V to pin 11. From there through a resistor to Pin 16 (3V).

Maybe you can verify this on your supergun's JP21 connector.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'll try as soon as I dig the multimeter out of the giant pile of stuff it's buried in. ^^

Just to confirm; what you mean is GREEN (EU pin 11) to BLANKING (JP pin 16) with a resistor in-between ?

Will a 1k Ohms 5% resistor do ? or is it too strong (how the hell do I calculate how much V it will absorb ?)

Maybe I should install a vf 2V LED instead if I can find one, this way I would always know if there's AV switching current going in or not (or is it a bad idea?)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, sorry.

If you're talking about a EU/JP21 adapter, then you connect pin 8 (EU) to pin 11 (JP) and then pin 11 (JP) over a resistor to pin 16 (JP). You need a resistor in the 75 to 100 ohm range.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh okay, thanks for the details ! :)

D'ah! I don't have any 100 or 75 ohm resistors left in all my junk ^^ gotta buy some asap.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Xyga wrote:So It's my turn to try that little box
Are you the guy who bought it from yahoo auction this week ?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Nope that wasn't me...
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Ok lol I was so close to have it, it goes for Y 26000, and it makes a lot of bucks for me atm, so sooner or later I will catch this one