I've been to hell and back, and other Makaimura Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Skykid

Re: I've been to hell and back, and other Makaimura Miscella

Post by Skykid »

^ which do u recommend, the original or Kai?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

I beat Kai a few weeks ago. Aren`t I the coolest?
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Skykid wrote:^ which do u recommend, the original or Kai?
Kai, unless by some crazy chance you want the game artificially lengthened by having to dig through all the levels to find a bunch of rings.
Jonathan Ingram wrote:I beat Kai a few weeks ago. Aren`t I the coolest?
How long did it take you? I've only played it for two days and I'm already at the volcano stage.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Jonathan Ingram

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:How long did it take you? I've only played it for two days and I'm already at the volcano stage.
Three or four days, I think. Wasn`t that hard since I had already beaten the original game a few times on Ultimate by that point.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Isn't kai meant to be all round easier anyway? I've got kind of an ocd thing about hard games, if I commit to finishing them I prefer whichever is recognised as the purest version, regardless of difficulty, because I'm probably only ever going to do it once and shelve it. Too much to play.

Also is it harder than Cho?

Jonathan Ingram

Skykid wrote:Isn't kai meant to be all round easier anyway? I've got kind of an ocd thing about hard games, if I commit to finishing them I prefer whichever is recognised as the purest version, regardless of difficulty, because I'm probably only ever going to do it once and shelve it. Too much to play.
Kai was rebalanced to play more similar to other games in the series and I found it to be generally harder than Goku save for the Ultimate mode of the latter.
Also is it harder than Cho?
Been awhile since I played that one, but I think yes.

Anyone here played Kaizo Mario(Asshole Mario)? A good fit for fans of sadistically hard platformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86NLwCYXfk
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:
Skykid wrote:Isn't kai meant to be all round easier anyway? I've got kind of an ocd thing about hard games, if I commit to finishing them I prefer whichever is recognised as the purest version, regardless of difficulty, because I'm probably only ever going to do it once and shelve it. Too much to play.
Kai was rebalanced to play more similar to other games in the series and I found it to be generally harder than Goku save for the Ultimate mode of the latter
Cool thanks for the info. The only reason I ask is original sounds like it should be played on ultimate for series purists anyway, since it maintains all the restart points and 1 hit to boxers conditions of regular makaimura. So would ultimate mode on Kai essentially be the same equivalent?

Harder than Cho sounds strangely compelling, I must say.

Jonathan Ingram

Skykid wrote:So would ultimate mode on Kai essentially be the same equivalent?
Kai doesn`t have Ultimate mode. When starting the game you can choose between three 'Lifestock' types and that`s about it.

I would recommend playing both games as there are more than enough differences between the two to make both of them worth playing.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Just finished Makaimura for Wonderswan for a second time. Fun little game, but something's bothering me:

The Wiki says this game doesn't have a 2nd loop requirement. :idea:
But when I got to the last stage it kicked me right back to the first and I went through again.

However, I didn't attempt to uncover the Goddess' Bracelet on the last stage the first time around. Can anyone clarify that you can actually get the special weapon on the first loop by uncovering all the hidden chests, and avoid the 2nd loop? :?

Jonathan Ingram

I was replaying Ghosts n` Goblins earlier today and this is what I got for a victory screen when I beat this game:

I landed the final blow on Astaroth just a mere instance before being incinerated by his fire spit. Surprisingly, the game still counts it as a victory(in Super Ghouls n` Ghosts, if you get hit by Nebiroth`s laser during his death animation, it`s game over). The princess 'what`s her name' ends up hugging Arthur`s messed up sprite and there`s no victory fanfare, but you`re still congratulated on beating the game and then it switches to the third loop as usual.

This glitch is no rare occurrence and it`s relatively easy to reproduce(I`ve encountered it at least three times myself), but for some reason I`ve never seen it mentioned anywhere.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Interesting...did it subtract a life?
Jonathan Ingram

It didn`t. I had three lives when the third loop started plus I immediately got the fourth one for having passed the 230k mark in score. The ROM version is World 1, by the way. But I think I also encountered this glitch on Japan G.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

I've beaten Super GnG / Chomakaimura (PS2 Capcom Classics). Man, you guys are leaving me in the dust.

But these are some of my favorite platformers. Really need to pick up Goku Makaimura and the Wonderswan one...
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Marc

Post by Marc »

After telling myself I wouldn't be bothering this time, I picked up GnG on the X360 collection, and all I have to say is FUCK stage 4 and it's stupid platforms.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jonathan Ingram

Marc wrote:After telling myself I wouldn't be bothering this time, I picked up GnG on the X360 collection, and all I have to say is FUCK stage 4 and it's stupid platforms.
That`s quite possibly the fairest(and easiest) portion of the game. Dealing with Red Arremers, the Satan bosses and a lot of the other stuff the game throws at you definitely involves a bit of luck sometimes, but the section with the moving platforms in level 4 is all about skill(that is, unless you are using the 360`s controller, in which case it is also luck based, ha ha).
RGC

Post by RGC »

When people here talk in terms of beating these games, do they mean 1CC?

Now I've accepted there's only enough spare time in my life to be a casual gamer (pah!), I don't feel too bad about hammering the start button when finding a full hour to play Chou Makaimura (SFC). The game is a thing of beauty, but bugger me sideways it's tough! I'm pretty sure Daimakaimura (MD) is the easier game, if only because it's not quite so epic in stage length. But, how does this port compare in terms of difficulty to the arcade release? -- he enquired, lazily not finding the rom and firing up MAME to find out...

This series will always hold a special place in my blackened heart.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It just feels so sticky and odd how you move while on the platforms, or fall straight down if you don't hit quite right. Every five years or so I get a bone for this game all over again, and every time this stage fucks me off.

Had two good ports on the Spectrum and C64 as well, still enjoy playing those. Well, half ports.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

RGC wrote:When people here talk in terms of beating these games, do they mean 1CC?

Now I've accepted there's only enough spare time in my life to be a casual gamer (pah!), I don't feel too bad about hammering the start button when finding a full hour to play Chou Makaimura (SFC). The game is a thing of beauty, but bugger me sideways it's tough! I'm pretty sure Daimakaimura (MD) is the easier game, if only because it's not quite so epic in stage length. But, how does this port compare in terms of difficulty to the arcade release? -- he enquired, lazily not finding the rom and firing up MAME to find out...

This series will always hold a special place in my blackened heart.
I wouldn't worry about 1ccing Cho (or any other GnG really). Although a 1cc is perfectly doable, a 2all is insane on the original Snes version (the PS2 re release would be much easier.)

MD Daimakamura is one of the easiest afaik.

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

This series has always had a special place in my heart. I remember Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts was among the first few games I played, and me and my brother used to play it at my Grandmothers house. Good times.

Even now, I still think it stands next to Contra as one of the best action platformers there are. An arcade nearby me I visited a year or two ago had Ghouls 'N Ghosts, and even today it's just a blast playing it.

IMO the series has a perfect balance of immersion/adventure, excitement, and strategy. I love the gameplay, I love the aesthetic, I love the whole damn thing.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ben.shinobi has no-missed both loops of Chou, and I'm pretty sure Dai as well. Along with a whole helluva lot of other gaming feats... Look upon his works and despair! (or take notes)
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

And for the original game, there's doctorx0079's one-life clear.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Marc

Post by Marc »

So, GnG. I'm starting to regain some muscle memory, but get fucked every time by the first Arremar just after the checkpoint on the third stage, just as you start to climb. Still can't find a consistent way of dealing with him, though I'm sure I used to have one. Died at ST4 again on some 95k so reasonably happy. I really would like to finish this fucker after twenty years of on and off play though. Got a lead to hook up the PS3 pad to my Note 2, and though the controls lag a tiny bit, it will do for an hour's practice at work each lunchtime.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Turns out Makaimura's in ben's hitlist too - I always mistake its poster for Dai's if it's been a while. Four loop clear :o
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg

Post by greg »

I never played this game back in the day, and as far as the English titles go, I don't know which is Ghosts & Goblins and Ghouls & Ghosts. I guess the former is Makai Mura and the latter is Dai Makai Mura, right? After watching these games on Game Center CX, I decided to buy one for myself. I bought Dai Makai Mura for the Mega Drive a couple of months ago. My daughter loves stuff like ghosts, skeletons, spiders, etc (yet she scares easily), so she always asks me to play this game to watch.

I suppose this game is above reproach because it is such a classic, but I think the game has so many flaws. There's a difference between challenging and downright frustrating. Not only is the difficulty brutal, but the gameplay is lacking, the collision detection is unfair, and most of the game's weapons are completely worthless. To make it worse, most of the time you're stuck obtaining a weapon because it's in your way and it won't disappear. While crouched, you can't turn around. The magic potion is the worst weapon. The sword is the most powerful, and I actually like using it more than the other weapons, but it's hopeless to fight the bosses with it.

I can't even get past the first level on Professional. I can get to the second level on Practice, but dang this game is too hard. The gameplay does not allow for the super fast reflexes that the game demands. It's just using continue after continue after continue until you luck out and pass the level.

That said, I do like the game. I'm just not going to go out of my way to try to master it.

I've watched several episodes of Game Center CX on YouTube. I got into an argument with this one worthless retard troll who complained about the Rockman 2 episode and how it took 12 hours for Arino to complete the game, when he can do it in an hour and a half. Everyone told him that he's a moron and that nobody cares about what he can do, and this clown's defense was that speedrun videos are popular on YouTube. The dipshit displayed a zero capability of understanding anyone else's comments, and it was frightening that the guy breeds, as was evidenced by his TMI videos of his wife's baby delivery on his YouTube channel. Anyhow, the fact that Arino can clear the first run of Dai Makai Mura in a day says that he is a far better gamer than I am. Then again, I don't lock myself in a room to try to beat the game in one sitting, lest I suffer the wrath of my wife.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

greg wrote:I suppose this game is above reproach because it is such a classic, but I think the game has so many flaws. There's a difference between challenging and downright frustrating. Not only is the difficulty brutal, but the gameplay is lacking, the collision detection is unfair, and most of the game's weapons are completely worthless. To make it worse, most of the time you're stuck obtaining a weapon because it's in your way and it won't disappear. While crouched, you can't turn around. The magic potion is the worst weapon. The sword is the most powerful, and I actually like using it more than the other weapons, but it's hopeless to fight the bosses with it.

I can't even get past the first level on Professional. I can get to the second level on Practice, but dang this game is too hard. The gameplay does not allow for the super fast reflexes that the game demands. It's just using continue after continue after continue until you luck out and pass the level.
I really don't see where your coming from here. Most of the weapons have their use, even the potion/torch can work in certain areas. I like the controls too, playing it in the arcade I'v had plenty of moments where I just improvised and made it out of some pretty crazy situations in one piece. NO idea about the collision detection complaint, never happened with me.

Credit feeding is not that much of a complaint in games like this. How far are you going to get in any Contra game playing it blind and with no pre-experience of the controls, weapons, and playstyle of the series in any other game? Your either a pro, credit feeding, or your taking your time mastering it. Same here.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

greg wrote:I never played this game back in the day, and as far as the English titles go, I don't know which is Ghosts & Goblins and Ghouls & Ghosts. I guess the former is Makai Mura and the latter is Dai Makai Mura, right?
Pretty much. Of the original three:

Makaimura = Ghosts n' Goblins
Daimakaimura = Ghouls n' Ghosts
Choumakaimura = Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I suppose this game is above reproach because it is such a classic, but I think the game has so many flaws. There's a difference between challenging and downright frustrating. Not only is the difficulty brutal, but the gameplay is lacking, the collision detection is unfair, and most of the game's weapons are completely worthless. To make it worse, most of the time you're stuck obtaining a weapon because it's in your way and it won't disappear. While crouched, you can't turn around. The magic potion is the worst weapon. The sword is the most powerful, and I actually like using it more than the other weapons, but it's hopeless to fight the bosses with it.
Not sure about Daimakaimura, but Cho definitely uses bum weaponry to try and destroy you - it even attempts to force the switch, lol, it's evil! I've watched Dai 1cc'd by a friend and it doesn't look too tough, but I was aware he was specific about what to pick up and what not to, which is the same as Cho (except in Cho weapon drops are way more regular and FAR more randomised.)

But that's part of the fun! Actually avoiding being saddled with a cripplingly rubbish weapon is part of the tactical game. I thought Cho (and at times WS) Makaimura's both bordered on being unfair (the former's 2nd loop climax I'd argue is unfair, Capcom overstepped the mark there) but that's the experience of it. It's hell, after all.
Last edited by Skykid on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.