TRP-STGT Conversation Week 1: Akuu Gallet

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: TRP-STGT Conversation Week 1: Akuu Gallet

Post by trap15 »

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has a controller with autofire. :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Use mameuifx if you don't have any way to do external autofire. It's kept up-to-date (working savestates!) and has autofire capability.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

trap15 wrote:Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has a controller with autofire. :lol:
Hori EX2 Turbo and I set A and X to Button 1 and RT to Button 2. Set autofire to A, hold down with base of thumb, use tip of thumb to hold X when necessary, bombs on the trigger, kick your ass. :lol:
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

I dunno, autofire may not be necessary. </shmupmorals>

But yeah, I think I might end up using my stick's autofire feature (SoulCal 5 Hori PS3), but can only set it to 1 button (No custom button mapping =( ). So no more green shot unless I toggle auto on the fly or something: between stages.

And then, you could just do your full runs with an earlier mame version for autofire settings anyway.

Edit: oh shit, mameuifx, eh?
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

If you're using MAME, you can map more than one button to an input.

So if you have a joystick with a built-in autofire circuit, you can turn auto on one of the buttons, and then map both that button and another non-auto button to the same input (P1 button 1).

Profit!!
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

^ Odd, I'll try again but when I tried I could only get it so that Button 1 was triggering from pressing both buttons mapped, simultaneously.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Aquas wrote:^ Odd, I'll try again but when I tried I could only get it so that Button 1 was triggering from pressing both buttons mapped, simultaneously.
Ah, what you have to do is, in MAME's input settings, highlight the input you want to change (e.g. P1 Button 1), hit enter, press the key/button you want to map, wait for it to accept it, then hit enter again and press the second button.

It should then show up as "first input OR second input"
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

KAI wrote:There's a perfect bonus for not dying. In this case suiciding is a stupid idea.
this is wrong, the perfect bonus is for not missing medals
I could be wrong, but I've had 0% on the medal miss on one run and died due to the fact I'm crap at large hitbox stgs... Didn't get the perfect bonus on that run.

Do you have to get all medals AND not die?
facebook: Facebook
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

That happened to to me once as well, but I missed uncovering a medal. I assume that was the problem.

EDIT: Though I probably died as well.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

All these people scared of the first stage have made me sad, so here are a few tips.

One, those two swiveling turrets at the start of the game seem to indicate enemy behavior for the game - they will NOT shoot you at point-blank (possibly just close) range. You can fly right up to them and blast them for two easy 2000 point pickups at the game start. Tanks seem to do this too. Don't be afraid of point-blanking popcorn ground targets.

Secondly, the boss pattern. After shooting off the exterior booster wings, it will start up with a woven pattern of bullets. There are multiple ways to deal with this, but you don't need to do anything too fancy. Just watch for gaps, and dodge twice out, and then you can dodge outwards again past the final bullets, or even inward (if you are silly enough to get stuck by a wall trying this). The homing lasers are really easy to dodge, you can practically sit still - don't be scared of them.
n0rtygames wrote:Do you have to get all medals AND not die?
Nope.

I just did some rather extensive testing of this. :shock:

Finishing the stage, with or without using bombs, with or without dying, AND NOT opening up all medal boxes (I didn't damage the first three boxes, to the left of the two turrets, at all) AND ALSO collecting all the revealed medals, didn't give the perfect rating.
Finishing the stage while dying once, without using a bomb, but making sure to open ALL the medal boxes and collect them all, did give the perfect rating.
I am not going to test it again to see if bombing has any impact, because of course it doesn't; I've gotten the perfect before when I panic bombed the boss' main form's first spread attack.

What is quite possibly happening to people who are not getting the bonus is that you aren't shooting enough buildings to reveal all the medals, or you are missing gunmetal gray tanks (that hold medals), or some other source of medals. Shoot and shooting again!

From the High Scores thread:
1up wrote:It feels like the hitbox is the size of australia...
Compared to what?

Anybody else feel that way? I don't. I still don't like that tight bullet pattern from the first boss (lol) but it's not bad with just a little care and practice. Really, with a bit of forethought, it's quite easy to get through all the first boss' patterns - assuming you just aren't panicked when it starts up that bullet weave before its homing lasers.

Second boss is a totally different ballgame, and is more based on lasers of deceptive acceleration, and dancing with the boss for a looong time (especially if you're not at the full powerup level, and I assume hunter-seeker makes a joke out of it too).
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p176886

Twiddle said no more than 5% can be 10pt medals for the bonus.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I don't think it's 5%. I've had more than 5% and still gotten it.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It'd be easy to test...but too time-consuming to care

I shoulda paid attention to the end of stage medal counts, rats. I wouldn't be surprised actually, because I coulda swore I've gotten the perfect having missed a medal box already. Maybe it counts those towards that perfect bonus? Hmm. Alternatively, could it be that you need a specific percentage of 2000 point medals to pass? So many choices...so much more benefit from just practicing the stages the right way to begin with...
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I think the hitbox is fair, what isn't though, is the plane starting to roll, making the controls wonky. I bet lots of people confuse this with having a generous hitbox.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
1up

Post by 1up »

On my latest run, I got the perfect in stage 1 and I bombed the shit out of those last boss patterns. On the top of my head I rememebr that I had 24 x 2000pts medals. And I died once in stage 1.

about the hitbox. It feels like early 80's hitbox to me where any part of the player sprite is the hitbox. Does anyone have an actual picture showing the hitbox?
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

1up wrote:On my latest run, I got the perfect in stage 1 and I bombed the shit out of those last boss patterns. On the top of my head I rememebr that I had 24 x 2000pts medals. And I died once in stage 1.

about the hitbox. It feels like early 80's hitbox to me where any part of the player sprite is the hitbox. Does anyone have an actual picture showing the hitbox?
First thing I did was to try and get a feel for the hitbox size. It's definately not the full sprite as I've had a few bullets graze past my wings. Had a bit of a test now, this is not entirely accurate but this may help..

I fear it might be slightly dynamic actually and bullets definately have their own hitboxes of varying sizes

(img 2 also ended up killing me, caught it just before)
facebook: Facebook
ciox

Post by ciox »

Does anyone have advice for doing the roll consistently? I have a hunch it gets disabled for another ten seconds if you tap left-left/right-right when it's already disabled. What a pain.
coturnix

Post by coturnix »

Hint for next week? :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Nope! It actually is not :P
KAI

Post by KAI »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck FUUUUUUUUUUCK FUCK BUTTRIDER!!

Next week PROGEAR!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Beep, Europe is foreign territory.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It's weird that you can stand on top of the flying bosses without dying (stage 1 anyway).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

emphatic wrote:It's weird that you can stand on top of the flying bosses without dying (stage 1 anyway).
Don't try this with the second stage boss or its minions. Collisions will kill you dead.

By the by, does anybody else get MAMEUIFX failing to save autofire settings between sessions? MAME Plus! always did this and it's kind of unnerving to have to reset this every time you start a game (I like to set the rate to 3 or lower for this game as well).
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Here is the run I recorded and uploaded to youtube, in case it helps anyone with bosses etc:

Air Gallet 1cc - 7.29m
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers, blackoak! That'll be a big help.

Bit late to the party this week. Had a few goes just now and made it to stage 4, after some initial trouble with the first boss! He should be a piece of piss, but I can see him banjaxing quite a few runs for me. :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

blackoak wrote:Here is the run I recorded and uploaded to youtube, in case it helps anyone with bosses etc:

Air Gallet 1cc - 7.29m
I'M GONNA TAKE A NICE HOT SHOWER!

Nice run, blackoak. Very inspiring :D
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Ah, I didn't sign up because I was traveling. Still I'm giving it a go for fun. I like how you can kill stuff with your afterburners.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:Nice run, blackoak. Very inspiring :D
Especially with all the strange route decisions, like going after powerups (at full power) instead of gold medals, ignoring medals, etc. Great achievement nonetheless!

Quite funny though, here I am playing just the way the game wants me to, to ruin my fun with all this route planning! :lol:

I think I might have found something to confirm with a few more runs - the powerups appear to rotate on an independent timer as some other Toaplan games do (Fire Shark or Twin Cobra?), rather than having timers once triggered. If the timer is especially rigidly set, that might mean that you can plan your stage runs knowing what powerup will be available the moment a powerup can be shot out of its box and collected (imagine the powerup changing inside the box). So in stage 2, the bunch of medal boxes and a powerup that appear before that big hovercraft tank thing (spawns about 6 powerups when it's killed) should be rushed the moment they appear onscreen, if you are using the missile powerup you'll be able to collect that missile again.

Also, at the beginning of stage 3, I noticed a lot of the popcorn helicopters' shots will pass either right under or over your hitbox without damage, if they come in at a more obtuse angle. If they come in from more directly ahead their shots seem to connect more often (makes sense). Maybe useless but interesting to know.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I believe that the powerups start switching their type as soon as the box starts "existing". So whenever you pop them out of the box they could change at any moment.

I intend to record and upload a video of myself playing with the Hunter Seeker soon, if just to show that it is a decent weapon :wink:
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Ed Oscuro wrote:[Quite funny though, here I am playing just the way the game wants me to, to ruin my fun with all this route planning!
The game wants you to first clear it, then clear it without dying, and after that start noticing medals exist.