Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
tiaoferreira

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.11 Beta) - Updated October 23, 2011

Post by tiaoferreira »

So, what and where is the newest version of game? I wanna test my new joypad playing it!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I understand you'll find it on the very beginning of this thread. New version=that post edited to properly direct.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I tried download it. The link is broken here.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Works for me. Make sure you hit "Click here to download from Sendspace" and not the ads.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I found the reason of problem: my firewall configs blocked the download, totally weird. I'll try again disable firewall configs, and test again.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Side note on my Toaplan mod project: I was right, nothing from Snow Bros. will fit. Out Zone and Fixeight, on the other hand...From the former, "Secrets of Owagira" (st. 5) is almost a shoo-in for 4-B, "To the Earth" (st. 1) may challenge "Open Your Eyes" for the first stage, and I'm eyeing a couple of Fixeight songs for boss themes. "Immensity" (st. 4) for Orion's Arrow, "S.I.S." (st. 6) for Citadel Geryon.
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

XENO FIGHTERS R!

WOO!

WOO WOO!

I had to say something o_o it got too quiet here.

GOLDEN BAT!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I did a bit of reverse-engineering on this and found that the issues regarding Arcade mode's high-score screen popping an error and variables not getting reset are pretty simple fixes. I'd upload a fix but Alluro wouldn't be happy about that plus the method I used resulted in it doing things with the images like ticking Precise Collision Checking and Separate Collision Masks for things that didn't have them to begin with - not ideal. Maybe I should just send a PM with the instructions?

Other than that, I got nothing. The TF music mod got released ages ago and I'm not touching it again until the next release with all the changes that have happened.
vitor

Post by vitor »

Gotta say, this is an absolutely fantastic game that crams so much stuff inside that it's honestly amazing that it was done by one guy
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Important: The newest version of EX-6 is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxOHXsni ... ature=plcp
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Skyknight wrote:Important: The newest version of EX-6 is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxOHXsni ... ature=plcp
thanks for the update! was starting to think this might be a dead project.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

This game is awesome :)

It also worked at the correct resolution first time with my monitor set up in 1080x1920 portrait mode. You win a special prize!
facebook: Facebook
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

man

no games are updating

xeno fighters R? no update

mega man unlimited? no update

freakin card sagas wars? hasn't been updated in 14 months despite hearing long ago (we are still working on it)

being fan-made game fan is suffering :(
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

so this game is now vaporware?

man, nobody seems to ever have it in them to finish what they started :( just like card sagas wars
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Dammit FoxReeveheart, I thought the notification of this thread was actual news! :evil:

:P

I offered to help out with some engine-related aspects of XF-R back in September or so last year and just before Christmas he took me up on the offer, with my reply containing a modified build in mid-January. I won't put words in his mouth but I get the impression that he's busy with other matters, which if you'd read some of his previous responses each time you've bumped this thread you'd notice. ;)

If it helps quell the curious, the modifications I made were as follows (note that this is off the top of my head so might not be entirely detailed or accurate):
- fix the critical issues regarding medals/score/lives not resetting
- fix error with highscore entry when using certain modes
- made surface rendering optional - Alluro was rendering the game to a self-made surface by default which caused some issues with VMs
- window rescale using surfaces if allowed (or standard views as well I think)
- VirtualBox support
- TATE support
- new wobble scrolling system implemented because the old one broke the moment I TATEd the game
- customisable joystick/gamepad support, rebindable keys via options menu
- prelim system for ship lock/unlock functionality and ? actually picking a random ship while respecting what hasn't been unlocked

There was still some issues as I recall mainly with the ship select in the Continue screen, which I might've fixed. It's been a bit since I looked at it and I've been busy.

Random fun fact: the font used in this game and ergo in Raiden Fighters is bar a couple of letters being modified the exact font used in G-Stream G2020's title screen. Triangle Service (rebranded from Oriental Soft Japan after the game's release) confirmed recently on their website and in a Famitsu interview that the artists who did the sprites etc in Raiden Fighters worked on G-Stream G2020 as well, thus there are quite a few similarities in the high quality pixel work there.
To further prove, I actually built a test program in GM to replicate G-Stream's title screen and was able to overlap a screenshot of the 'INSERT COIN' and '(C)2002 ORIENTAL SOFT JAPAN' with the Raiden Fighters sprite-based font used in XF-R. It covered the original text completely with the exception of a few letters that had a couple of pixels different. ~_^
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

If his YouTube account is anything to go by, he's currently concentrating on Super Mario Fusion Revival.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

*ahem*

Please finish this. We were talking about it the other day...:-)
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Will this game be released for some consoles?
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Teremos um Xeno Fighters para OUYA?

(Will we have a Xeno Fighters for OUYA?)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Godammit man. I see the notification in my email thinking there's finally news and it's tiaoferrera asking effectively the same question twice. :cry:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Can we just get this thread locked and Alluro can unlock it if he wants to post? :?
ohmsweetohm

Post by ohmsweetohm »

Excuse me, is this game maker game?
This game is awesome.
I'm nihilist.

ohmsweetohm = Avinga
HERE IS MY BLOG
http://avingagames.blogspot.kr/
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yes, it is. If the next release ever decides to happen it'll be even better. :wink:
alexkidd401

Post by alexkidd401 »

This game looks awesome!
littlenando

Post by littlenando »

Whoa, this game is so cool. :)
littlenando

Post by littlenando »

I really want to congratulate the folk behing this. I've played this throughout the weekend, man, what a great great game. The only bad thing is that it has no SAVE feature (or at least I didn't find it). Still, what an awesome game. I'll keep playing!! Very inspiring.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Save features really aren't a shmup thing. It might feel appropriate for this game considering the amount of stages involved, but trust me, next release will be a different beast.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I still play this occasionally. Ever since I learned how properly manage my score in the Raiden Fighters games, I managed to break 117 million in this one. Good fun.

Thanks for making this game.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Hey everyone.

I will have to officially step down from this project for an indefinite amount of time. Too many life priorities right now, and I have been going through a bad bout of depression for the last two months, which I am struggling to overcome with external help. If anyone is interested in taking over this project, feel free to send me a personal message.

I am not even working on any other games, like that Super Mario one. Making games has taken a very low priority to other things in life that has been happening to me over the last 12 months.

I admit that I got too carried away from what was supposed to be an enhanced remake of Xeno Fighters EX. If I had stuck to that, the project may have been done years ago. Oh well, lesson learned.

Once things begin to settle down, I may return to work on this game. Until then, farewell, and thank you all for the support and putting up with my passive-aggressiveness over the years.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
n0rtygames

Re: Xeno Fighters R (ON HIATUS) - January 18, 2014

Post by n0rtygames »

For what it's worth, this game is absolutely bloody amazing and you've done a fantastic job on what's there so far already.

I'd possibly go as far as to say it is /the/ example of a proper arcade shooter in this forum.

If it helps at all, I find that the best way to get back in to a project after a phase of burnout or being depressed is to just chill with other shmup players, watch a few streams and then start with smaller stuff like tweaking a single laser here and there. Then you just end up polishing stuff you've already done and extra stuff just naturally follows. If you think of it as some almighty task, it's gonna seem unachievable and will just make you feel shittier.

I've had times of bordering on going a bit nuts.. usually just take a break, come back later - remember that everyones pretty cool and sink back in to it :)