GD: Air Gallet

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
TVG

GD: Air Gallet

Post by TVG »

Ok, here's what i know so far:
The medals flash from 2000 pts to 50, but if you wait for a while, they will have 2000 value again for a short time.

Collecting ALL the medals in a stage grants you a 100000 bonus at the end of it. Losing lives doesn't matter.

I don't really understand the endstage bonus calculations, do you get something special if you manage to pick all the medals in a stage with 2000 value each?

I was fighting the 4th boss when a 1up appeared, it was probably score based (150000?).

But most importantly, you can do a barrel roll by pressing left or right 2 times in very quick sucession. It acts like a dash of sorts and you gain a speed boost for a while. After you do it once, there seems to be a slight delay before you can do it again.
This maneuver seems crucial in dodging some of the patterns (like the 3rd boss pink spray). It's very hard to do consistently on a gamepad, i can't rely on it at all. I'm even doubting wether i got the command right, because sometimes my ship does a barrel roll out of nowhere without me doing anything special. This is very confusing and i can't figure out a proper notation to save my life. Anyone knows more about it?
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
TVG

Post by TVG »

waaah waaaah *moaning*

no one knows about the dash thingy? i tought air gallet was quite played.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
Twiddle

Re: GD: Air Gallet

Post by Twiddle »

The vagrant wrote:Collecting ALL the medals in a stage grants you a 100000 bonus at the end of it.
no more than 5% can be 10pt medals

and the dash is random for me. annoying for players who don't know how to avoid triggering it and running into a bullet.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dash is tap --> hold for 1-2sec (same direction for both inputs). Seems to need about 10 seconds between each go.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Insanely terribly huge bump, but does anyone know what the 'best' weapon to have is? Or are they generally well balanced?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
azinth

Post by azinth »

Missiles are the best in terms of screen coverage and reliable damage, so you'll want to have them for almost the entire game. The blue laser is useful for shooting the stage 4 boss's core during its final form, since destroying the side turrets will trigger a nasty spread pattern. The other two weapons are pretty useless as far as I can see. The green weapon is especially horrible, to the point where you can end up snowballing into a gameover if you accidentally pick it up during certain stage portions. :P
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

azinth wrote:The green weapon is especially horrible, to the point where you can end up snowballing into a gameover if you accidentally pick it up during certain stage portions. :P
This. You can hit anywhere on the screen with it, but you do negligible damage so what's the point? Edit: Green weapon is actually pretty good - it doesn't do much damage if you use autofire, but if you actually hold down the shot button it has its own autofire built in that does good damage. Laser's also nice and reliable. Fire at the very least does decent close range damage and missile deals weak foward damage with massive homing damage (the missiles do tons of damage).

Are there hitbox differences between 1P and 2P side? I know 2P starts with the alternate bomb, the stronger Raiden style bomb that does more damage but doesn't make you directly invulnerable. Is the green fullscreen bomb the recommended one? I found I had more luck with it, but maybe the stronger bomb is more useful if you know where to use it preemptively?
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
azinth

Post by azinth »

I usually go with the green bomb since it's way safer and hits every enemy on-screen. It's not as powerful as the blue one, but you can still do some hefty damage if you point-blank while you're invincible.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Is there a fixed extend, or is it just the score extend at 1.5m?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Only the extend at 1.5m.

End bonus is lifex1M, there's also a "special" 1M bonus but I don't think that has any conditions.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I've been savestate grinding the last boss with an optimal 5 bomb stock, and I have the patterns in her first form down with little problem, but I keep encountering something weird. So, she continously shoots aimed blue shots from her head at you while the nodes rotate through four attacks (fixed spread (based on your location)-->aimed lasers-->blue shot sweep-->missiles-->fixed spread-->etc), but seemingly randomly, fast aimed blue shots will sometimes fire from much lower, like in the middle of the screen. They're almost impossible to dodge or predict. They don't seem to visually appear from anything, and I can't tell if this is a weird mame artifact or just some extra bullshit challenge the game throws in. Can anyone confirm?
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Naglfar

Post by Naglfar »

The missiles that boss shoots turn into aimed blue bullets when you blow them up. Are you sure it's not those? They confused me for a while too until I realised what was going on.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

You're right, I didn't notice those before. But I swear I saw it happen at other times, on patterns other than the missiles. Hmmm...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
ave

Re:

Post by ave »

oxtsu wrote:Dash is tap --> hold for 1-2sec (same direction for both inputs). Seems to need about 10 seconds between each go.
Oh dear lord, thank you so much! I searched everywhere before I found this thread. I am getting good at AG, but the dash was always completely random for me. And sometimes it would come at the most inconvenient times... :evil:
THE ETERNAL
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I somehow never even noticed there was a dash... Good to know that, I don't think I would have found that out on my own.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Guess I'll bump this too. For future reference:
trap15 wrote:Insanely terribly huge bump, but does anyone know what the 'best' weapon to have is? Or are they generally well balanced?
I'll just quote this since I just wrote it:
Despatche wrote:Things that I'm pretty sure are still true: the Fire is still the high level play weapon. The Hunter is really not a bad weapon. The Laser is much more useful in this game than in Raiden. The Missile is a noob trap. Also, I'm probably never gonna get around to this game any time soon.

I haven't done any research into chip damage though. Laser may win out yet, but I get the feeling there are points where you absolutely need something else. All signs point to Fire, or Hunter if you're a level just below high level.
Exactly why everyone sleeps on the Hunter but praises the Missile like it's the only thing worth using is a complete mystery. That's not to say that the Missile is terrible, but all of the other weapons are better at what they do. If anything, the Missile has a lot of the same problem that the yellow weapon in Daioh and Shienryu does.

It's particularly strange because most people understand that multi-directional weapons in Compile games tend to be the best. The Hunter in Akuu Gallet is even better than many of those.

This game also has a dash, so combine that with the Fire, the Hunter, or the Laser for powerful effect.

honestly i think the laser is the secret best but there's a lot to this game that isn't clear yet
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
bakedbean

Post by bakedbean »

Despatche wrote:
This game also has a dash

Is this executable on demand? it always feel a little rng or whatever to me.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Despatche wrote:Exactly why everyone sleeps on the Hunter but praises the Missile like it's the only thing worth using is a complete mystery. That's not to say that the Missile is terrible, but all of the other weapons are better at what they do. If anything, the Missile has a lot of the same problem that the yellow weapon in Daioh and Shienryu does.
Because with autofire, the Hunter doesn't do anywhere near its full damage, and the other weapons all benefit greatly from autofire. As a result, it doesn't really fit the rest of the game. Also, the dash is hard to execute consistently, which is why people don't really do it much, even though it gives i-frames.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, I've tried to do the barrel roll (the "dash") and either it requires some specific input I've not yet discovered, like when I was so used to playing Mega Man X games that it took me ages to figure out wall jumping in Super Metroid (instead of pressing away from the wall and jump at the same time you have to press away, then a split second AFTER pressing away hit jump), or it just has an RNG element, which may well be the case. Unless a way of reliably triggering it is discovered, it's not worth relying on.
Despatche wrote:Exactly why everyone sleeps on the Hunter but praises the Missile like it's the only thing worth using is a complete mystery.
Once you work out Hunter works best holding shot (as opposed to tapping like the other three), it's pretty darn effective. I think a lot of people are used to using the thin Laser in other Raiden-esque games (thin strong shot on a chunkier, bigger hitbox ship) and make it work, and in Air Gallet if you're gonna use a thin weapon for concentrated damage then why settle for the Hunter when the Laser is even better? Hunter is a solid weapon and does quite respectable single target damage as well as being able to aim diagonally as you need it, but Laser is even better raw damage for boss killing.

Missile is a bit weird in that the main shot is super weak, but the missiles themselves are insanely powerful and at max shot power seem to be pretty competitive, giving even Laser a decent run for its money as far as I can tell, while covering a lot more area, being vastly better than Fire at tackling smaller high-health targets. Its only real downfall is the long gap between shots you have to take into account, but it's not a fatal downfall and it's still a very workable weapon.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

I sat down and figured out the "dash" -

1. Go in any direction for at least 1 frame
2. Change directions (neutral works fine) for a maximum of 3 frames (about 52 milliseconds)
3. Go in your original direction for 32 frames (a little more than half a second)

This can be repeated every 423 frames, or roughly every 7.35 seconds.

Examples of things that work:
Frame1 down, Frame2 neutral, Frame3 downright, Frame4 right, Frames5-36 down
Frame1 left, Frames2-4 neutral, Frames5-36 left
Frame1 right, Frame2 downright, Frames3-34 right