mathman

Re: Gradius III (SNES/ARC/PS2)

Post by mathman »

SNES mathman - 565,300 - 2-1 - Type 3
haven't tried an Edit run yet
mathman

Post by mathman »

SNES mathman - 1,032,100 - 2-8 - C/FF (with picture)

- 3x death at 1-9 in the maze, 1x at loop 2 plant boss, lost a bunch of lives in speed stage and timed out beacon, could not recover in boss rush, died at crystal core
- haven't lost to 2-1 boss yet with x2 speed, missle, laser (this is key), x2 option
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade
saucykobold - 521,160 - 1-9 - Type B

I fluked my way past the cube rush (once), only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the boss.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Damn, this tviks guy is good, he should be commended for having such a score! Too bad Gradius VI didn't happen.

tinotormed - 569,900 - 2-2 - Edit

Edit Config: S-M-D-L-O-?-!
S - Speed Up, M-Spread Bomb, D-Tailgun, L-Twin Laser, O-Formation, ?-Reduce, !-Max Barrier

Accessed the secret room twice on stage 2, but failed on 2nd loop.

Replay of how this 2-2 had gone will be uploaded soon.

EDIT: It's right here!
Last edited by tinotormed on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade
saucykobold - 589,590 - 2-1 - Type B

Got the clear. :)

Things were going pretty smoothly until the fire level, where I died about halfway through. I've practiced the fire and plant checkpoints a ton, so I was able to get to the cubes with a decentish life stock. Score took a hit, though.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Congrats you two! Clearing Gradius III is quite an achievement! :)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Thanks!

I'll keep plugging away with Type B until I beat Seahawk's score (or get pretty close). After that, I think I'll try to clear the first loop with a zany edit configuration.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Plasmo wrote:Congrats you two! Clearing Gradius III is quite an achievement! :)
Tnx for the gratitude, Plasmo! The first loop of this game is quite easier than the original Arcade port. Well, tviks still holds his own for many years with his Gradius WRs.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Good job saucy!

Tell me, did you have trouble with the turrets on the ceiling at the beginning of stage 10? Type-B is probably the best weapon set but it has no way to deal with enemies above you. That part gives me a lot of problems.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Amazing. One of these days I need to resume my journey for the clear. Stupid ice cubes and their discouraging manner.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Ruldra wrote:Good job saucy!

Tell me, did you have trouble with the turrets on the ceiling at the beginning of stage 10? Type-B is probably the best weapon set but it has no way to deal with enemies above you. That part gives me a lot of problems.
After you defeat Dellinger Core you need to really book it down the hole and align your options vertically so that one ends up in the wall. You'll be pushing the front of the screen but the enemies in the tunnel can be dispatched as soon as they appear.

Keep this formation until you get to the first enemy scramble hatch past the door. Destroy it ASAP.
ImageImage

Then you can fly up and destroy everything else safely.
Aquas wrote:Stupid ice cubes and their discouraging manner.
The Crystal Stage literally brought me to tears quite a few times :(.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Yeah, vertical option placement is key.

Just before the kamikaze tiles, there are enemy dispensers on the ceiling that you won't be able to quick-kill (with Type B, anyway). The popcorn ships they release are manageable if: 1) your options are as high as possible and 2) you're equipped with double. A short video clip might be helpful; I'll see if I can record one later today.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?59704y7w9kozocx

I'm using three speedups in the video (I think the extra option spacing is worth it), but two would probably be fine. Something to note -- near the end, I move up to kill a dispenser with my tailgun. For some reason, the designers gave this stretch of ceiling a really big hitbox.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

saucykobold wrote:For some reason, the designers gave this stretch of ceiling a really big hitbox.
It's the tiles on the ceiling that will fly at you.........they are sprites pretending to be the background. While they are attached to the ceiling they use the same hitbox for when they are flying at you, so the hit area also includes the space where there appears to be nothing. The actual BG tiles for this section (the broken looking tiles) use a normal hitbox.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade
saucykobold - 654,720 - 2-2 - Type B

After working on 2-2 for several weeks, I can beat it maybe 15% of the time during save-state practice. Frustrating--I can handle the next few stages but one death by bubble ends my run.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

^ Incredible!!

I have started to play this game again recently, but with no big intention to get past the cube rush. Started trying Type A and C. Got past the maoi stage with type C as my first time using it the other day. Surprised at that.
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Thanks man. :)

It's jarring how much harder the Moai boss is when you're not using Type B. I've started to learn the first loop with upper missiles, free way double, and twin lasers. It's a really fun config (love using twin lasers to clear all the dirt in level 3, ha ha), but 1-5 is currently a show-stopper.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade
saucykobold - 730,920 - 2-2 - Type B

Got this just over a week ago. I died eight or nine times in the cube level (most certainly not by intention).

Some fire dragon weirdness--on a few occasions, the first form has apparently been invincible. I heard the damage sound effect but the boss didn't transition to the next form until it timed out. Has anyone else experienced this? Edit: The same thing happens in the last Gradius III .inp on this page.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I've had the same thing happen with the Moai midboss, except it never played the damage sound effect at all, it was completely invincible.

It is possible to farm big points on the Crystal Stage, enough that you win several lives to keep going. I think the best score possible would come from farming it to your last life, then beating it and going on to the second loop.

Great job on taking down Gradius III btw =).
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

By any chance, did the midboss spin around without releasing any small heads? I've seen this a couple times and I believe I know what triggers it. Around the third or fourth moai column, there's a pair of red ships that chase you. If you kill the top ship and let the bottom one fly away, the midboss won't open its mouth. I haven't tried doing this when fully powered up, but it seems to always work when I respawn at the last checkpoint in the stage.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I was planning to submit a score once I got past Big Core Mk. III

Arcade
Enigma- 250,190 - 1-5- Type B

The 1-5 boss is so much worse than Big Core Mk. III. But hey, it's progress. After I died to the boss, recovery was just impossible. And I didn't even manage to get any of the 6 parts of the boss down.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Maoi boss is evil man. Requires some slick execution. But beating it is a blast. :D Hit up some practice if you can.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I've started working on savestates for this earlier. I have the game savestated until the power up section of Cell stage.

Being able to just hit F7 and loading a file right before the boss is great for practicing it, and it doesn't seem as bad now. I'm not sure how different the fight is if you bring a force field to it yet since I don't have a savestate at it that made it there with the force field.

Still, I should definitely be seeing 1-6 or 1-7 in a full run soon.

Edit:

Did another full run attempt

Arcade
Enigma- 268,910 - 1-6- Type B

Power up meter was off from where it should have been. Didn't get a force field up during stage 6. Died while I was 1 power up item away from it. Couldn't recover. The regenerating walls suck, though that wasn't what actually got me. I can definitely get to 1-7 as I have savestated my way up to there to have practice files, but I haven't been able to clear the stage yet in savestate training.
Wlf

Post by Wlf »

Wlf - 117 400- Edit - Stage 3

Snes mode ...
oki32

Post by oki32 »

Do you really play Gradius III?
Okisoft is my company.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade
saucykobold - 1,255,620 - 3-2 - Type B

I'd pretty much given up on a 2-ALL last year, so it goes without saying that this was enormously satisfying to do.

Youtube link
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Great!! Watching some of it now, never watched much later loop gameplay for the game but I knew there were many changes. Wow
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Quick questions:
isn't the PS2 version supposed to be arcade-perfect?
what's the reason for the table split?
AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm »

AmidstStorm - 552,000 - 2-3 - Edit Mode - SFC

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Kollision wrote:Quick questions:
isn't the PS2 version supposed to be arcade-perfect?
what's the reason for the table split?
Probably because of the Extra Edit option on the PS2 version.

But there ARE some slight differences on the PS2 version, it's not arcade-perfect. From memory, I remember that the moai columns always rotate at the same speed on the PS2, while on the arcade version they sometimes rotate slower when you destroy some of the heads. This sometimes can get you killed because you need to hurry and destroy the column fast but it slows down and takes too long to expose the next head.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.