The FRIZ chip and Why Microsoft should be called Hitlersoft

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Sorry to disappoint Neon, the kool-aid wore off a couple of weeks ago (yes, I have been contracting at Microsoft as a tester on the SMS team, but I am currently off assignment.) The company's so vast that I don't even know what teams are in most of the buildings on campus, and to be honest, I only had a vague idea of which product group was on the other side of the floor of the building I worked in. And being a contractor rather than a full-time employee, I had even less idea of what was going on over there at any given time. If you want to flame someone over this, I'd recommend Robert Scoble. I'm sure he has absolutely nothing to do with any of this either, but he seems to be the one the "Bill Gates kils babies" crowd yells at.

Oh and by the way, generally it's a bad idea to invoke Godwin's Law in the title of the thread...
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Neon

Post by Neon »

eh no need for any personal attacks, I just wanted to see how you could defend something like this (I knew you would, all ya did was flame though :wink: ) I'm not blaming you in any form.
Davey

Post by Davey »

raiden wrote:The spying isn´t even the problem. The problem is a simple .txt file can be declared "malware" at any point, which deletes it from every computer that goes online.
Which would nullify a good deal of the LEGAL benefits of having a computer in the first place, which is why I'm guessing this won't be implemented in the uber-evil way its made out to be. I could be wrong, but hopefully not.

I don't care about the piracy. All I pirate are obsolete ROMs, and I could live without them (I could also live without open-source software, but I shouldn't have to). People should pay for copyrighted material, but denying everyone else the right to do what they want with their own hardware because some people steal would be like cutting off everybody's hands because shoplifting is on the rise.

I'm not sure if this link is accurate and/or up-to-date, but I seems more realistic than "ROBOHITLER WILL DELETE YOUR MP3S AND THROW YOU IN JAIL!!!!!"
system11

Post by system11 »

The link Davey posted has some valid points - Palladium and TCPA are not the same thing. TCPA is infinitely more evil. However, Microsoft are also on board with that initiative too, so make of that what you will... The document is a Microsoft fear-dissipation tool.

I wish they'd all just fuck off personally, I run Linux, I do legal things with it, I don't download music generally (sometimes a track or two and then buy the album - very rare these days as there's nothing good to listen to), I don't download movies or TV shows, I don't run pirated software. I don't want this situation to change and I certainly don't want TCPA to see the light of day.

Off on a tangent....

I'd have to say, that people have brought this on themselves. If everyone wasn't grabbing movies/music/etc constantly as if their life depended on it, than carrying on with the 'I'm entitled for free' attitude, I don't think we'd be seeing quite the same level of rabid madness from the media corps. If anyone would like to add the bleating argument that they're downloading music instead of buying, as a protest against quality/price, then the correct protest is to simply not buy it, not download it, and not watch/listen to it.
greg

Post by greg »

Vexorg wrote:Oh and by the way, generally it's a bad idea to invoke Godwin's Law in the title of the thread...
Good call, and thanks for the link. I'm sotired of shrieking hysterics, from webforums up to congressmen. People, it is possible to state a case without resorting to making comparisons to Nazis or totalitarianism in general...
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Davey wrote:
raiden wrote:The spying isn´t even the problem. The problem is a simple .txt file can be declared "malware" at any point, which deletes it from every computer that goes online.
Which would nullify a good deal of the LEGAL benefits of having a computer in the first place, which is why I'm guessing this won't be implemented in the uber-evil way its made out to be. I could be wrong, but hopefully not.
I agree on that. It's all fuxxored up. People won't accept that. And I'm sure it can be challenged in court as a means to restrict your freedom in the digital frontier (that sounds nifty, huh?). Once you buy a computer, you should be able to do anything you want with it. No stinking DRM can tell you what you do with the hardware and software you own.

Copyright=Good.
DRM=Bad.

If they want to have their digital rights, they should respect our analog, God-given rights as well.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Davey

Post by Davey »

bloodflowers wrote:If everyone wasn't grabbing movies/music/etc constantly as if their life depended on it, than carrying on with the 'I'm entitled for free' attitude, I don't think we'd be seeing quite the same level of rabid madness from the media corps.
Entirely too true. My friends call me an idiot for "wasting" money on music and software that you can download for free.
Neon

Post by Neon »

My friends call me an idiot for "wasting" money on music and software that you can download for free.
Bwahaha, class individuals there.

It is pretty sickening that people can find it acceptable to download all these new shooters we're getting (ps2 etc. wise).