Ace Combat

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

What is your favorite Ace Combat game?

Air Combat
4%
Ace Combat 2
4%
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
29%
Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
21%
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
8%
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
8%
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
17%
Ace Combat Assault Horizon
4%
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
No votes
Ace Combat Joint Assault
4%

Total votes: 24

Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Ace Combat

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I just wanted to know what people think is the best Ace Combat game. Also, feel free to just chat about the games in general. :P
trap15

Re: Ace Combat

Post by trap15 »

Polls don't work. Also Air Combat is pretty fun.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
KAI

Post by KAI »

AC2's music is awesome, The Unsung War is great, but my vote goes to Electrosphere.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Electrosphere, since it's the one I played the most.

Slightly off topic: has anyone here played Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.? Looks like a decent Ace Combat clone for PC, and since there are no Ace Combats for PC I might get that one.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Anything before Assault Horizon and Namco's shameless attempt to spamming nonsense DLCs all over the place.

Also, if you want to wait a bit longer, there's something definitely much better than HAWX on PC (it's still in alpha, and only can be bought from Desura...for now)
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

KAI wrote:AC2's music is awesome, The Unsung War is great, but my vote goes to Electrosphere.
I would say it's a tie between AC2 and AC5. The reason? AC2 is best PSX AC, AC5 is the best PS2 AC. Both games that were awesome and gotta say, a bit ahead of their time.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I just received AC 2 but I'm in the middle of re-doing my gaming setup so I can't play it at the moment :|
So, unable to have an opinion on that game, like many others I prefer AC 5. I got into Ace Combat when I bought my first used PS2 so my first Ace combat was AC: Zero, which I enjoyed, but AC 5 just feels even better, not to mention it also having my favourite soundtrack of the series.
I played 3 & 4 later and...well, didn't enjoy 4 as much but that's me doing things backwards again. AC 3 feels very refreshing, loving the branching story and multiple endings.

As for AC 6, I can't help but to feel it's a bit of a mess. Graphics & sound is astounding but I find myself getting a bit confused with the multiple mission objectives and the HUD feels more cluttered. Only tried the demo for Assault Horizon and can't make up my mind about.

I'm curious about the arcade games, only seen screencaps and some really shoddy gameplay vids.
CHECKPOINT!
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

only ever played fires of liberation. I enjoyed that.
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
nZero

Post by nZero »

AC04 or AC Zero, I honestly couldn't decide between them.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Ji-L87 wrote:I'm curious about the arcade games, only seen screencaps and some really shoddy gameplay vids.
Ace combat (1) is "port" of Air Combat, and Air Combat 22 is the same with better graphics. I'm not sure if the Arcade mode of AC5 was released on System 256 or not.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Never played an Ace Combat game before. Was thinking of getting started with Assault Horizon but it seems to be really dumbed down compared to the other games in the series. Automatic dogfights and scripted scenes shouldn't be around in this kind of game.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

For me it's close between Shattered Skies and The Unsung War. I think Unsung improves on SS in every way but the experience and having spent considerable time in SS prior to Unsung being released give it my preference. I won't deny Unsung being the superior game but SS for me is the most memorable game. Yellow 13 respect.

AC2 I haven't spent much time in, Electrosphere none, and Air Combat zlitch as well. The Belkan War was alright but seemed scaled back coming from Unsung. It's still a great entry though. I have ACX on PSP but haven't tried it yet and haven't ventured onto AC6 (no 360).
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Voted for Shattered Skies, as I've spent the most time with it. Unsung War is a close 2nd.
Ace Combat was my first PS game and looking retrospectively, one of my favorite game series.
lol
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

KAI wrote:
Ji-L87 wrote:I'm curious about the arcade games, only seen screencaps and some really shoddy gameplay vids.
Ace combat (1) is "port" of Air Combat, and Air Combat 22 is the same with better graphics. I'm not sure if the Arcade mode of AC5 was released on System 256 or not.
The Air Combat 22 cabinet seems like a fun thing to dream of owning one day :mrgreen:
Limbrooke wrote: I have ACX on PSP but haven't tried it yet and haven't ventured onto AC6 (no 360).
Oh yeah, those. The fact that I didn't remember bringing up the PSP games probably reveals my affection for them. Or lack thereof. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they simply don't grab me well at all. The scaled down graphics does their part, and somehow the presentation overall (storyline and voice acting) just feels lacking compared to their bigger cousins. At least AC X has some decent tunes. AC Joint Assault on the other hand, I haven't played very much at all. Maybe the fact that they threw in flying fortresses in the beginning of the game took some fun out of finally meeting such things later on - but they weren't that fun to battle it out with compared to, say those similar moments in AC 5, Zero & 6.

Side question, are there any other air combat/flying games on the PSP worth looking into?
CHECKPOINT!
CIT

Post by CIT »

I've only played Assault Horizon. Apparently it's the one all the true AC fans hate, because it's dumbed down for the masses. I liked it. ;)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This topic has gotten me interested in the series.

I [think] remember my cousin playing it when I was a kid and I thought it was a little silly... Some mission about the "unsinkable fleet" that never fired a single shot at him while he pulverized it to the ground.

And the recent one that came out seemed like too much macho macho for me - too heavily west for my tastes (or am I thinking of another series?).

Imagine my surprise when I saw that anime intro posted above!

Any recommendation on where to start in the series? From the beginning? Or not?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Start with the unsung war. If you want something harder check the Enery Airforce series
Last edited by KAI on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

KAI wrote:Start with the unsung war. If you want something harder check the Enery Airforce series
I picked up Energy Airforce: Aimstrike for PS2 a while ago. Haven't tried it yet, what can I expect?
CHECKPOINT!
KAI

Post by KAI »

30 mins long missions without music and one-shot dead. It's a good simulator, you will fell claustrophobia.

Aero Dancing 4 is nice option too.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

KAI wrote:30 mins long missions without music and one-shot dead. It's a good simulator, you will fell claustrophobia.

Aero Dancing 4 is nice option too.
:P I've got Aero Dancing F. And it's hard, maybe setting difficulty to professional was a bad idea. :oops:
CHECKPOINT!
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Either 5 or Zero.

*salutes Belkan flag*
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Hagane wrote:Electrosphere, since it's the one I played the most.

Slightly off topic: has anyone here played Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.? Looks like a decent Ace Combat clone for PC, and since there are no Ace Combats for PC I might get that one.
H.A.W.X. is somewhat similar to Ace Combat, but to be honest it's not as good. Also, have you tried running Ace Combat games on emulators before? You will need a powerful, fast computer to run the PS2 games.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

So, despite being a dumbed down game, is Assault Horizon still worth playing?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hagane wrote:Electrosphere, since it's the one I played the most.

I played the first one and controversially (perhaps) preferred it to Ace Combat. It's extremely arcadey and fast paced, but had one fundamental feature that made it: this awesome air corridor you could bring up on your HUD that you had to fly through really tight, eventually bringing you right up on the enemy's tail. It just didn't get old.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Ruldra wrote:So, despite being a dumbed down game, is Assault Horizon still worth playing?
This game was certainly dumbed down considerably to make it more accessible to a wider audience (on-rails sections, regenerating health, etc.), but in the end, it is a great game certainly worth playing. The campaign, however is a bit on the short side compared to other Ace Combat games. I rented it and beat it in two days (I could have done it in one, but my parents made me go to sleep because it was 1:30 AM and I was still playing.) Now about it being dumbed down, it's more fun if you turn off easy flight controls and raise the difficulty. The online is very fun once you get the hang of it, and the various DLC packs offer many maps and new aircraft to use, as well as paint schemes. Overall, the story is decent, some missions may get repetitive, the on-rails sections are a strange addition, but the good graphics and particle and debris effects make it a visual treat indeed. :P The online mode keeps you playing well after you are finished with the campaign. While it may not be the perfect Ace Combat, it certainly is a blast to play. 8)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Does any version of the 1st one support analogue thumbsticks, or is negCon the only way to go?
I like the PSX 3D done well and 2 is just that, thus it seems like a good point to start, but I'd like to give 1 a chance; just not under less than optimal conditions.

That being said, I'm afraid Sky Odyssey (where the air was so ever cuddly) might have ruined the other arcadey flight games for me. Yes, I understand Ace Combat is a shooty series, fullfilling some peoples' aerial fantasies, but for me pointing the airplane like a cursor at things doesn't quite work. Can't remember how Ace Combat 2 felt in this regard when I played it (before Sky Odyssey), but Secret Weapons Over Normandy rubbed me the wrong way. (In a Star Wars game such edgy controls are acceptable, though, and you can unlock playable X-Wing as well as TIE Fighter in SWON, so...)

I know we're talking different epochs of aviation here, but the other day I revisited Crimson Skies (2000) on the PC and while its appeal also suffered from the impact Sky Odyssey (same year, interestingly) had on me, it's pretty time-proof at what it does. I'm particulary impressed by the way USB joypads with twin sticks just work in such an oldie.
There are some issues I have now that I don't recall having back when. As much as I "get" the high concept behind aircraft designs, when all is said and done, those are just ugly. Also, while I like the settings and narration style (radio drama, Hollywood etc.), the playable character chatting to his people keeps breaking my suspension of disbelief. I'm like "Who it it? It's not me!" Last but not least, the way aircraft dock with zeppelins is a lame excuse for starting and landing (even by computer game logic).

Back on topic, if there's any beef I have with Ace Combat at this point, it's that it shaped up so many folks' idea of "arcade flight sim" (hopefully not once and for all), whereas there's so much else to do in this field...
I'm also afraid AC2 is yet another game about taking orders. Not sure if I'm ready for that, still undone with Battalion Wars 2 and all.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Pharos

Post by Pharos »

04 is by far my favourite in the series. Zero would be runner up for the great ace battles.

Assault Horizon is actually pretty good, especially the online multiplier component. I'm not sure how active it is anymore, as it has issues with latency and players abusing glitches.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think I might pick up the first Air Combat for two bucks :oops:

Unsung War looks pretty good though.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

All 3 PS2-era games are basically the best.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Speaking of starting and landing, I suppose Ace Combat games have some fairly cinematic mission opening scenes, but there's something counter-intuitive about missions beginning mid-air. Just look at all those take-off or at least "swoosh" sequences in countless shmups. A beauty. Even Chelnov hatches that container thing right before becoming controllable (hatching is arguably the single most powerful motif to ever open up a game; see MGS1&3). Cars warm up their engines in anticipation before the signal to go. The "you wake up operating a fighter jet" premise strikes me as odd.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off