SoCal Shmupmeet Oct 13th has past. Picture album is up!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Frenetic

SoCal Shmupmeet Oct 13th has past. Picture album is up!

Post by Frenetic »

Thanks everyone for a great shmupmeet. Everyone pitched in and it was a huge success. Pictures are here:
http://imgur.com/a/wxEOW#0

**Items needed**
Surge protectors and a couple of extension cords.
Please bring a folding/portable chair so you can chill out in the backyard, chat with fellow shmupsforum members, and enjoy a cold refreshing beverage and a plate of delicious hot food.

**Fighting and puzzle games**
There is just TOO MUCH good stuff. So we'll be having Xbox 360 fighting games: Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, hopefully Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, KOF XIII, etc. If you have a stick for Xbox 360, please bring it!

Also mikehaggar has graciously offered to bring puzzle games so we'll be having puzzle games:
Tetris the Grandmaster 1, 2, and 3, Mr. Driller G, and a couple more!

When: Saturday, October 13th 11am-8pm

Where: My house in Long Beach, CA (please PM me to RSVP and I will send you my address/details as we get closer to the date. Thanks!) This location is a BIG upgrade since the last shmupmeet. One of the bedrooms is a dedicated game room. I have the living room for extra candy cabs and supergun setups if you guys want to bring one down. Got a huge backyard with a patio and lawn for hanging out and talking about shmups. If the 100 Yen documentary is out there will be a DVD screening.

How much: Free! But I'd really like to have a snack/drink potluck like last time, so if you guys could bring a side dish/drinks that would be great. I have a grill, oven, and a rice cooker.

Pictures:
Pics from the last SoCal shmupmeet are here: http://imgur.com/a/C5GdA#0 Lookit how much fun we all had. Don't miss this one!

12 setups so far:
1x New Net City Vertical w/Xbox 360 and Namco JVS-->JAMMA adapter
1x New Net City Horizontal w/Xbox 360 and Namco JVS-->JAMMA adapter
1x Egret 3 Horizontal
4x Superguns (1x blackoak (w/NEC XM29), 1x don, 2x alamone 1x monitor Tyranix95, 1x monitor jepjepjep)
1x Large Sony TV w/S-video console setup Wii/PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox 360 (I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 stick with Dreamcast adapter) this will be for Fighting Games (SFIV:AE on Xbox 360, people are welcome to bring other fighting games)
1x TV that can be tated with Component and S-Video for consoles
1x Laptop for Doujin/PC games and speaker setup w/Xbox 360 stick.
I also have Xbox 360/PS2 pads if you prefer.
1x Omega CMVS (courtesy of Shadowknight55)
(arcade game will also bring 2x candy cabs, thanks man you're awesome!)

Game requests:
Frenetic's PCBs: Tenkomori Shooting (English), Dangun Feveron, Dodonpachi, Battle Bakraid, Armed Police Batrider, Strikers 1999 (aka Strikers 1945 III), Dragon Blaze, Twin Cobra, Raiden DX, Aero Fighters, Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Black Label, Gekirindan, Progear, ESP.Ra.De, Ibara, Last Mission, and Atomic Runner: Chelnov. All the shmups for Xbox 360 and Dreamcast, many of the PS2 shmups.

Requests for jepjepjep: Fire Shark/Same!Same!Same!, Battle Garegga, Batsugun, Donpachi, and Mars Matrix.
Requests for mikehaggar: Gamshara, Tetris the Grandmaster 2, and Mr. Driller G.
Requests for blackoak: 1x Supergun, Macross II
Requests for alamone: (limited request since he is flying in): Dodonpachi SaiDaiOuJou
Requests for arcade game: Armed Police Batrider ver.B, Dodonpachi, Ghouls n' Ghosts
Requests for Tyranix95: Viper Phase 1, Sky Shark, UN Squadron, Carrier Air Wing
Requests for dannysaigon: Deathsmiles

Tournaments:
We're also going to be RAIZING the roof with tournaments (Armed Police Batrider Special Course, and Battle Bakraid Special Course. Practice on your PCBs or nimitz's ShmupMAME and bring your A (or B, or C, or D, etc.) game. Players will get 2 credits in one sitting to post their highest score. Special shmup duels will be fast and furious on Tenkomori Shooting in English and Twinkle Star Sprites, winner stays. In honor of to Mr. 16-Shots-Per-Second Takahashi Meijin, trap15 has graciously allowed us to use his Hudson Shooting Watch for the "How Many Shots can you Shoot" tournament.

Trading/Buying/Selling:
Also feel free to post your games you'd like to sell/trade. You'll get to test the game out in person and no shipping or Ebay/PayPal fees. WOOT! Make a post in the thread, and I will edit this post so everyone will get a good look at your stuff.

Game collections:
Frenetic's game list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XdkE#gid=0

trap15's game list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XSkE#gid=0

jepjepjep's game list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... jZlE#gid=0

Tyranix95's game list:
http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=422541

alamone's game list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... li=1#gid=0

dannysaigon's game list:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz-WHVb ... edit?pli=1

Attendees (21 attendees--FULL):
(If you have PCBs, please feel free to share your Google Doc list, and I'll put them up on this thread ) Would love to see some demos by the particular game you're good at. Here's your chance to stream in person!

RSVP'd attendees:

Food 1: dannysaigon - brats or burgers
Food 2: mikehaggar - big pot of his famous chili
Food 3: JelloMan581 - something other than a fruit bowl (maybe Jello(tm) salad?)
Food 4: jepjepjep - salsa and tortilla chips
Food 5: Tyranix95 - 2 bags of potato chips
Food 6: Softdrink 117 - Couple of dozen cookies from Diddy Riese
Food 7: mainman tentatively (2x Knudsen New Hampshire Sour Cream, 2x onion dip powder packets)
Food 8: Shuurin - 1x large bag of Wavy Lay's potato chips & 1x large bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese
Food 9: shariar07 - 1x pie or vegetable tray
Food 10: CMoon - thai curry
Food 11: xbl0x180 - sunglasses
Food 12: fogelmir - TBA
Food X: arcade game (bringing 2x delicious candy cabs!)
Food X: alamone +1 guest (exempt since driving a long distance)
Food X: blackoak (exempt since driving a long distance)

(We are good on drinks, please bring a food side dish!)
Drinks 1: trap15 - he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper, I'm a Pepper, Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too? Be a Pepper. Drink Dr Pepper.
Drinks 2: jepjepjep - Soda/Beer
Drinks 3: ni8wing - 12 pack of can soda
Drinks 4: Neccros007 - 2x large bags of ice (I have a cooler we can use to have drinks in the backyard)
Drinks 5: Shadowkn55 - case of his favorite beer
Drinks 6: CMoon - keg of homebrew

Looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting some of you for the first time,
Frenetic
Last edited by Frenetic on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 am, edited 123 times in total.
trap15

Re: Southern California Shmupmeet planning thread

Post by trap15 »

Woop woop! Will bring Dr. Pepper again :D

Game list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XSkE#gid=0

You should probably rotate that Egret 3; the more vertical cabs running, the better!

And yes, somebody please bring Bakraid! I wanna show off my Axebeak milk 8)
If that happens, someone could/should also bring an EPROM burner and 4 EPROMs for it, so that we can use the rank-display patch.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
arcade game

Post by arcade game »

frenetic
you know i'm down i'll bring 2 candy cab's
1 new astro city with Dodonpachi DOJ black label &
1 egret 3 with outzone
plus other pcb boards
let me know if that's ok with you?
plus if you a tournament i'll give free cave t-shirts
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Yeahhhh arcade game you always come through! Always down to have you over at my place. Having you over at the last shmupmeet was awesome. It was really cool when you brought your candy cab and we were playing all sorts of PCBs on it. With those two candy cabs we'll have a total of *5* candy cabs at the shmupmeet! I'm definitely thinking about holding a tournament so yes, some Cave shirts would be much appreciated. It is guys like you that make hosting so worthwhile.

--F
arcade game wrote:frenetic
you know i'm down i'll bring 2 candy cab's
1 new astro city with Dodonpachi DOJ black label &
1 egret 3 with outzone
plus other pcb boards
let me know if that's ok with you?
plus if you a tournament i'll give free cave t-shirts
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

this sounds pretty sweet, a friend of mine from socal who lives up in Seattle now and another guy in the shmup scene here are planning a socal trip in the near future, once y'all decide a date maybe we can work on arriving in time for this!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey EPS21,

Would love to have your Seattle crew out here. I'd love to have you guys come down. I check out the Seattle shmupmeet from time to time--bobbyconover, marus, and wnka seem like really cool guys. I'll keep you in the know once a solid date materializes.

Cheers,
F
EPS21 wrote:this sounds pretty sweet, a friend of mine from socal who lives up in Seattle now and another guy in the shmup scene here are planning a socal trip in the near future, once y'all decide a date maybe we can work on arriving in time for this!
alamone

Post by alamone »

I can probably make a weekend trip down once you firm up a date.
Can bring my SDOJ board and some other PCBs, and my NES supergun again.
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

Oh man! I better get my next joystick working for this one! You're in Long Beach now? So close to me! I'll figure out something else to bring since the fruit bowl didn't get touched (I sure didn't with all the good eats there!).

I've been really lax on my shmup play as I've been getting caught up on Warcraft for the next expansion release (damn you WoW!), so I'll need to get back in the groove of things.

No PCBs on my end. but willing to bring an X360 setup if needed. Looking forward to seeing you again!
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I might be able to make it if its October... September is crazy busy for me though. Last time was great!
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

I think I'll make a giant pot of my famous homemade chili!
dannysaigon

Post by dannysaigon »

Hi Guys,

Whats the average amount of people would show up? 20 or 30 ...? Just want to make sure I bring enough food for everyone..

*** I am so seriously excited... ***

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Danny Saigon
If its not in writing....it doesn't exist.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'm going to guess probably the same amount of people that came to the last; so probably 10~15 I think? Maybe more.

Regarding date, I'm thinking weekend of October 6th or 13th will work well for most people? 6th would probably work better for me, but 13th is certainly a possibility.

Also, I guess I'll bring my Raiden II PCB again; it'd be nice to get that thing actually working properly :P
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Frenetic

Re: Southern California Shmupmeet Saturday, Oct. 13th

Post by Frenetic »

Thread updated with exact date! Hope this works out for all of you guys.

The NorCal contingent should work out a carpool--yeah ROOOOAAADTRIP! Feel free to work out some trades/no shipping sales like some people did last time.

dannysaigon: Yep just bring some brats or burgers to feed 10 people or so. Don't stress too much.
trap15: yeahhh trap15 is coming up! Woooop wooP!
Josh
Banned User

Post by Josh »

Just checked out the photos of your last meet. Cool stuff man. If you were able to get that much gaming in an apt, I can only imagine the action with more space. Ryan really is top notch guy, he was actually one of our first customers, and its a real pleasure knowing our only Toshiba Monitor we had in stock went to him. I'm sure anyone who attends his meetups will definitely have a blast!
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

If I was closer I would be all over this.
8)

Good luck with your meet , I am sure its gonna rawk.

:D
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Frenetic wrote:Hey EPS21,

Would love to have your Seattle crew out here. I'd love to have you guys come down. I check out the Seattle shmupmeet from time to time--bobbyconover, marus, and wnka seem like really cool guys. I'll keep you in the know once a solid date materializes.
What, and I'm not a cool guy?

I'd love to come but sadly I think I'd have to take some school off >_<. Maybe if you had a meet near Christmas I could make it out.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Looking for anyone interested in carpooling from Norcal (SF bay area) or in-between.
Send me a PM!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Damn, would love to checkout the new place, but unfortunately I can't make it. Looking forward to pics!
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Oh damn I want to go...

Not sure I can though. School will be in session; it *might* collide perfectly with midterms. :cry:

However, tentatively if I can figure out transport I'd love to head down. I'm at UCLA, so theoretically close by. If anyone else would be in the area and willing to give me a lift/split cost for a taxi/whatever, I'd certainly give it a shot. Public transportation is also an option, but it's a bit... complicated, timing-wise.

*If* it works for my schedule and I can get out there, I can bring an NTSC-J 360 (all CAVE ports but DS, DSII, EspgaludaII, and AK; Ikaruga; RSG; THE), a dual-modded stick, and possibly an easily tateable LCD monitor and scanline generator if needed. I can also bring a hacked PSP with Progear, Einhander, the Metal Slug series, Blazing Star, Pulstar, and Gradius Collection, if anyone has any interest in that.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Frenetic is a great host this is gonna be an awesome meet.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Looking forward to this meet guys. Thanks again for hosting, Frenetic.

I can bring Garegga. Here's a list of my shmup pcbs, let me now if you want to play any of these: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 2FDdVhjZlE

I live near UCLA so I can give rides to anyone nearby.
Tyranix95

Post by Tyranix95 »

Cool, Jep and arcade game will be there.

Now I hope VBA shows up and brings his KETSUI board so I can see some real KETSUI action.

-------------

Hey, Frenetic:

Add Tyranix95 to the list. And put ni8wing and Neccros007 on the list too.

Here is my VAPS. Just let me know what you want to play.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=422541

-------------

And put us down for some CHIPS and SODA.

jepjepjep wrote:Looking forward to this meet guys. Thanks again for hosting, Frenetic.

I can bring Garegga. Here's a list of my shmup pcbs, let me now if you want to play any of these: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 2FDdVhjZlE

I live near UCLA so I can give rides to anyone nearby.
Last edited by Tyranix95 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

take pix peeps!
8)
These are the best So Cal Meets!

:wink:
voltronbadass

Post by voltronbadass »

Tyranix95 wrote:Cool, Jep and arcade game will be there.

Now I hope VBA shows up and brings his KETSUI board so I can see some real KETSUI action
Yeah I can bring some pcbs:
Ketsui
Ibara Kuro
Tatsujin oh
Dogyuun
R-type
back up garrega too since they fail so much
Maybe a few others, I have to check

I still don't know if I can get the day off work or if I am welcome but I will shoot Ryan a pm shortly
Tyranix95

Post by Tyranix95 »

Hey Frenetic,

I just got a PM from my buddy mainman: He thinks he can make it. Please add him to the list. He will let me know for sure later on.

Thanks,

P.S. Oh yeah, and hook that badass guy up too: I hear he's kinda cool n stuff.

tx
trap15

Post by trap15 »

jepjepjep: Could you bring DonPachi, Same!Same!Same!, and Mars Matrix? Same was tons of fun last meet, and I've been oddly hooked on the other two recently!

Tyranix95: Could you bring Sky Shark? First shmup I ever really played :D

alamone: Best be bringing that SDOJ :wink:
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

go play mars matrix
:D
Tyranix95

Post by Tyranix95 »

trap15 wrote:jepjepjep: Could you bring DonPachi, Same!Same!Same!, and Mars Matrix? Same was tons of fun last meet, and I've been oddly hooked on the other two recently!

Tyranix95: Could you bring Sky Shark? First shmup I ever really played :D

alamone: Best be bringing that SDOJ :wink:
@Trap: I PM'd Jep: He will bring SKY SHARK--along with the other two games on your list. He has all 3 games.

@alamone: Can you bring your GRADIUS games and VIPER PHASE 1 <<<Old Edition>>> again? Jep got a BIG kick out of that last time.

@VBA: Hey, if you get the day off, bring that R-TYPE board of yours. I want to give it a spin.
voltronbadass

Post by voltronbadass »

Tyranix95 wrote: @VBA: Hey, if you get the day off, bring that R-TYPE board of yours. I want to give it a spin.
Oh I've got the day off, but sorry I won't be there. You see frenetic can't get over some small drama I had with a friend of his years back. An incident that in no way involved him in the first place.

Frenetic had recently opened communications with me though after ignoring many invitations to my meets. I figured this meet might be a good way to see if he was ready to be a man and burry the hachet, apparently not though.

Have fun though, any of you guys is welcome to come by my house to play games anytime, even Ryan.

I guess we shall keep the baby SoCal drama going for now.