Windows 7 Freeware Shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
aliendough

Windows 7 Freeware Shmups

Post by aliendough »

Hi folks,

I was wondering if you guys could possible provide a list of freeware shmups for Windows 7 for me. Ones that you guys think are essential to have.

I know there are quite a few doujin games, but the sites are all in Japanese and I'm not sure what ones are freeware, and even if they are any good.

The only ones that I have found is Gentos, which is very good, and rRootage, which is just OK.

Thank you!
rancor

Re: Windows 7 Freeware Shmups

Post by rancor »

Check my site:

http://www.tokyoshmups.com

There are plenty of freeware and demo games in the left window under "Free software / Demos".
Someone wanders in here and asks this question about once a month, so you may want to do a search as well.

See these threads for a start:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40808

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40229

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39931
aliendough

Post by aliendough »

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded a few of the freeware ones from your website - very nice games!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

definitely get genetos. I found it on another site and it amazed me.

edit: you should take XOP: Black off that site. it was freeware in the past, but that is no longer true. it's being sold along with XOP as a bundle.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Lord Satori wrote: edit: you should take XOP: Black off that site. it was freeware in the past, but that is no longer true. it's being sold along with XOP as a bundle.
It's the old, old freeware version. I got permission from udderdude.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

I 1CCed Genetos the first time I played it. I don't think that's a sign of quality.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I never said it was high quality. I just love the music, and the concept. plus it inspired me. anything that inspires me I tend to love.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Op Intensify wrote:lol 1cc so easy therefore game must suck
No shit, it's pretty easy on default settings.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

playing some of the others right now. though one in particular, tori tatsu death label, annoys me for a few reasons: the almost complete lack of english, so all I get is a bunch of random characters instead of an actual language. second, they renamed the songs that they used so you don't know the name and you can't look it up. its an excellent game though. I played patriot dark as well, but was dissapointed by the lack of a unique final boss song.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

No idea how Warning Forever works on Windows 7, but on XP it's essential.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Op Intensify wrote:I 1CCed Genetos the first time I played it. I don't think that's a sign of quality.
Way to expose yourself as a kusoplayer who doesn't immediately go into the settings and switch it to the hardest difficulty. :roll:
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Way to expose yourself as a kusoplayer who doesn't immediately go into the settings and switch it to the hardest difficulty. :roll:
That's not what we typically do with shmups, y'know?
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Op Intensify wrote:lol 1cc so easy therefore game must suck
No shit, it's pretty easy on default settings.
Genetos is obviously meant to be played for score and/or with the strange alternative weapons you can unlock.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

of course you 1cc'd it. the game gives you tons of lives.

edit: okay, for some reason, the games that use an exe called "stkrun" don't work. something that says direct draw, and the rest is illegible.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

so does anyone have any solutions? the games that don't work are Soil - the true blue, and Wrath. VIO doesn't work either, but I thats a different problem
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Lord Satori wrote:so does anyone have any solutions? the games that don't work are Soil - the true blue, and Wrath. VIO doesn't work either, but I thats a different problem
Use D3DWindower? I've managed to get stkrun games working with it.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

first off, it says its in english, but it isn't. second off, I can't get it to work. 3rd, I already have d3drm.dll, which is likely the file its talking about.

edit: okay, I got wrath to work, and thats the one I wanted. but I'm disappointed at how small the screen is, and that none of the sounds are working.

unrelated note: does anyone know where I can find the radio zonde sountrack? it uses a weird music format that doesn't make any sense.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Lord Satori wrote: edit: okay, I got wrath to work, and thats the one I wanted. but I'm disappointed at how small the screen is, and that none of the sounds are working.
You can change the resolution in the D3dwindower's config menu (it's the couple of smaller text boxes above the text box where you put the address for D3dhook.dll).
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Lord Satori wrote: unrelated note: does anyone know where I can find the radio zonde sountrack? it uses a weird music format that doesn't make any sense.
It's not weird, its a legacy and not very well documented format that no one has the decompression/decryption tools for anymore.

I got asked to rip the soundtrack and did a bit of research myself that's based on what I know. Quite a few tracks have been uploaded to YouTube recently but that's not exactly the best quality.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

yeah, its weird. so your saying I'll never be able listen to them outside the game? *sigh* :(
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well you can record it using the Sound Test in the options menu with something like Audacity and then export that to an MP3 like I managed to do for Stage 6 and the first boss theme but other than that you're kinda screwed.

Mind you, trap15's taking commissions, you could give him a price for reverse engineering it and directly converting the files. :P
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

options menu? where's that? we're still talking about radio zonde, right? the game's menu is pretty strange.

edit: nevermind. I got it. odd that they call it "switch" instead of "options"